football
Latest News:

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

It really did happen !
14 May, 2018 00:04
Just finished watching the highlights on BT Sports for the fourth time. It really did happen, I missed the last playoff win, listened in to it sat in my halls of residence in Aberdeen Uni, having been at the defeat the year before. I had been a nervous and emotional wreck for the whole week before, in part due to the crushing defeat last year. Last year I took a family group of No2 son, disabled sister and aging father, up until last week my father and sister had maintained that they were not coming to a play-off final if we got there, too much heartbreak from last year, But I picked up a message when I arrived back from the Ebbsfleet semi-final (after a 4 hour drive home) 'Get us tickets', I booked without calling back to confirm, at my father's time of life chances of trips to Wembley are running out a little. Oh how I regretted not making that call a minute in when Rides left the field. I turned to my No2 son who is my football buddy and said "We are Tranmere we don't do it the easy way and we are not behind yet", not sure which one of us I was trying to fool with this, but then 5 minutes later Norwood sent across that perfectly placed cross for Cook. Three subs later, which I convinced myself made sense and we prayed for half time and....Oh f**K it that really isn't what we wanted. I turned to No2 again and said 'We are still not behind, we are still in this', this time I almost lost faith. It was about the 70th minute when Conor's shot had been saved that I said to No2 again 'we are still making chances' and to my dad a few minutes later 'if we are going to win this it needs to be in 90 minutes'. It was then that Conor sent across the ball towards the centre of the box to an unmarked Norwood to head down towards the corner of the goal, I was sure the keeper had it covered but it had enough to take it in. Queue jubilation hugging first my group and then rushing down the steps to cheer our heroes, before making my way back to my seat, where 'excuse me can I get past' was translated to 'please hug me and dance and cheer like a mad thing' by a lady, well what could I do?. The rest of the game is a bit of a blur, only memories are heroic defending and tough tackling in midfield to see the game through. As I said to No1 and No2 sons just hope you don't have to wait as long as I did, otherwise you will be in your 40's, but I have a feeling we are about to launch our second trip to the moon. On day decades from now one of my sons will tell my descendants 'I was there with you great grandfather, and great-great grandfather when Tranmere overcame impossible odds to win'. This season has been a true test of faith, but where the is faith there is light and strength. I am off to start planning my travel for L2. To all the SWA, but particularly the travelling ones we were the 12th man, I love you all, lets do it again next year.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: It really did happen !
14 May, 2018 00:17
Nice one cybertron. 27 years ago my old dad sat next to me and his knees were knocking next to me for last 10 minutes. This time I was the one doing the same with my kids by me.hope it passes down in their future's but not a big gap like that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net