football
Latest News:

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

Squad for next season
13 May, 2018 11:12
So so so made up we are back where we belong in the football league...... I for one thort we wud be stuck in that @#$%& league forever ...... yesterday at wembley was sooo emotional ......lost my voice at the end ....... im hoping we keep most of the squad we have now for next season .....can see one or two leaving .....we do need a strong squad and prob one or two additions....looking forward to it .... up the whites 👊😁

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

Re: Squad for next season
13 May, 2018 13:03
At the moment we don't even have enough for a five a side team (Dunn, Norburn, Norwood and Tollitt I think, everyone else is out of contract). Lots of work to be done over the next few weeks.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 13:25
They will all go down in our history but with all due respect to them not all are up to League 2, would like to see us retain Cook, Nors, Norburn, Buxton, Cole, Jennings long term, McNulty next season, love to see us sign Manny. Good recruitment needed elsewhere, Davies will go down as our promotion goalie but he’s error prone and did his best to show that yday so I’d like to see a new keeper in 1st choice. Banks would be a good edition but can we afford him.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 15:09
It is an advantage that many of the also rans are out of contract and to my mind a pity Dunn is not in that group.It gives MM plenty of scope in making offers that will retain the best.
I noticed that Jalal has been released by Maccs despite being in the National team of the season..
Our knowledge of the National may enable us to cherry pick those capable of the step up

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 16:34
Still on cloud nine and agree these players will go into Tranmere history books.

For next season, would love to see us retain:

Cook
Mcnulty
Norwood
Monthe
Buxton
Sutton
Jennings
Harris
Cole
Ginnelley

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 16:49
Quote:
Higgosboots
They will all go down in our history but with all due respect to them not all are up to League 2, would like to see us retain Cook, Nors, Norburn, Buxton, Cole, Jennings long term, McNulty next season, love to see us sign Manny. Good recruitment needed elsewhere, Davies will go down as our promotion goalie but he’s error prone and did his best to show that yday so I’d like to see a new keeper in 1st choice. Banks would be a good edition but can we afford him.

Absolutely agree re: getting in a better goalkeeper.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 17:07
Quote:
jonesy792
Still on cloud nine and agree these players will go into Tranmere history books.
For next season, would love to see us retain:

Cook
Mcnulty
Norwood
Monthe
Buxton
Sutton
Jennings
Harris
Cole
Ginnelley
Plus Norburn and Tollitt .

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 18:47
+Clarke,a bright young prospect

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 18:51
Keep Cole, Ginnelly, get Monthe & Montly-Henry.

Would Rovers form a reserve team now they have been promoted, as more funds available

Cook
Mcnulty
Norwood
Clarke
Buxton
Sutton
Jennings
Harris

Mangan seems a fantastic player in the dressing room, but will he get many chances for future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 18:54 by trfc-boi.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 19:14
I’m 95% confident we’ll get Ollie Banks now. He was there as a guest of the club yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 19:15 by mini_andy.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 19:23
A good retain list but I would add young Clark on to it ,he was brilliant at Wembley agree we need a new keeper Davies looking very iffy lately last 2games nearly costing us the game dropping the ball could have been fatal yesterday good job Connor Jennings saved the day .we have seen some very good players in the National League worth a look at getting some of them Ebbsfleet goalkeeper for a start

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 21:29
Don't agree about Scott all keepers make errors as do out field players less noticeably he has kept us in many many more games than he has lost us

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 22:40
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
we have seen some very good players in the National League worth a look at getting some of them Ebbsfleet goalkeeper for a start

The same Ebbsfleet keeper who didn't move and let Larnell Cole's shot bounce in off his shoulder? No thanks.

I've heard Buffon might be available and I'm sure Mark and Nicola will have made contact! winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 22:44
Carlo Cudicini made a few boners for Chelsea regarding crosses, but how many top flight clubs and those below would have had him around 10 years ago?

No keeper is perfect, but I believe davies was part of Fleetwood's league 2 promotion team, so he is very experienced in league 2 and should be perfectly capable at that level, but there is a risk someone like Pilling might leave, so trying to find a competitive keeper would be shrewd, especially if there is someone with an edge over Davies for the right weekly cost.

Hopefully Banks will be signed as I have no doubts he will be a very useful cog in the wheel.

For me it's about the best team at the right cost. Sentiment has little place in this decision making. Harsh but true.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 22:56
I’m fine with Davies

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 23:11
Sign up Cole,Ginnelly.& Ollie Banks ..That’s it .....Momentum is massive winning Breds winners, which is what we are ..The togetherness shown yesterday between the players and fans shows what can be achieved..We ARE.good enough to challenge for a top 3 spot....I cannot wait for the new season to start ..

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 23:27
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
A good retain list but I would add young Clark on to it ,he was brilliant at Wembley agree we need a new keeper Davies looking very iffy lately last 2games nearly costing us the game dropping the ball could have been fatal yesterday good job Connor Jennings saved the day .we have seen some very good players in the National League worth a look at getting some of them Ebbsfleet goalkeeper for a start

Personally, I think he made Tommy Lawrence look like a stick insect

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 00:27
Quote:
borowhite
At the moment we don't even have enough for a five a side team (Dunn, Norburn, Norwood and Tollitt I think, everyone else is out of contract). Lots of work to be done over the next few weeks.
To sightly rain on the parade to that list you can unfortunately add Waring and Alabi who unless we can offload are on the wage bill for another season.
Davies yes has made mistakes but at NL level he is good and would be fine in League 2 provided we have a reserve who is almost as capable be that Pilling (if he would stay) or someone else. The Ebbsfleet keeper is a case in point - looked great in the league game but was poor in the play off. Clarke should definitely be retained also if we can though I think he will go to an even higher level. You can coach the defending you can't increase pace.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 06:34
Where do we all stand with Kirby and Wallace? Not sure myself on Jake, but Wallace for me must go. He’s our highest paid player if you can use the word player. Also Andy Mangan is also the other top paid. Is it worth the wage bill for a bench warmer, although I’m a big fan of his and my heart says keep him. I’m sure the likes of Salford will be happy to cough up the money for him. Harris and Jenno are the 2 musts for me.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 06:56
I also think Rides should be kept. He does a decent job at left back and get a high amount of assists.

1983SWA
1983SWA (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 07:48
For me I would have a look at the Wrexham CB Pearson, can`t fault his contribution towards one of the tightest defences in the National League.

I would like to DMH and Ollie Banks make a permanent return if it was possible. I think Harris has to be retained for me, he lacks the flair but what a fighter, he never stops and thought he was excellent when he came on.

Obviously we need to strengthen for next season, we also need the right options for the bench as we are allowed 7 subs in the league compared to 5 in NL.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 08:11
I don’t think we have a chance with DMH, he signed a 3 year contract when he returned from our loan I believe. Shame really.

Brenk
Brenk (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 08:22
Given we’re back in the league, won’t we be a more attractive placement for promising youngsters from higher up the food chain on a season loan? Worth exploring I’d have thought.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:42
If the expectation next season is another promotion push then, in the cold light of day, I reckon we'll need a good 4-5 new faces in the first 11. Most teams who've gone up from the National in recent seasons have done nothing in League 2 and, although we look well-placed off the field to progress, I think many of the current lads have now reached their level (and their CVs probably tell us that). Though they've certainly earned themselves another crack at it.

Saying that, after what we've been through over the last five years (and on Saturday!), right now I'd be happy enough just to get a firm foothold in League 2 next season, with a view to pushing on after that.

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:45
Who we retain/sign next season will depend on the type of Football Micky wants us to play. Win ugly if necessary has been very much the theme over the last few months, but I can't see that style of football cutting it in league 2. We should look at teams that have gone up in previous seasons, FGR, Cheltenham, Grimsby not exactly set the league on fire, even to an extent Lincoln, I thought they would go up automatically, I hope they make it via the play offs.
A different style with wide players, possibly 3-5-2, requiring a mobile back 3, Sutton Monthe, plus other, with Gumbs in reserve. Love Macca to bits and he was tremendous on Saturday (but you can say that about all that played), I've a feeling he could go into coaching or would get a better offer than we would be willing to pay from another NL side.
Think Rides should be kept, one of the few with league experience, think Buxton would struggle unless he loses a few pounds, I think Micky will keep Dunn (potential) and Mangan (experience), not sure about Ben/Jake/Wallace all fitness issues and we can't afford passengers with our budget.
Cole should stay along with Connor, Norburn, Eddie, and obviously Cook and Nors, we will have the money to keep any player we want but we have to be realistic and bring in some players with league experience, Ollie Banks will be signed as he won't get a better offer and he knows the club.
I would expect the club to sign at least 1 centre back, 2 central midfielders, 1 wing back, 1 winger, we may get some players in on lone, season long hopefully, don't think we should be signing any players from the National league.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:50
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
If the expectation next season is another promotion push then, in the cold light of day, I reckon we'll need a good 4-5 new faces in the first 11. Most teams who've gone up from the National in recent seasons have done nothing in League 2 and, although we look well-placed off the field to progress, I think many of the current lads have now reached their level (and their CVs probably tell us that). Though they've certainly earned themselves another crack at it.
Saying that, after what we've been through over the last five years (and on Saturday!), right now I'd be happy enough just to get a firm foothold in League 2 next season, with a view to pushing on after that.

I'm thinking the same, if another push doesn't materialise next season then so be it but just don't drop back again.

They've shown the passion and determination, now we just need a few flecks of quality and more pace thrown in from people more accustomed to this level and the step up if we can snap them up and who knows what could happen...

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 10:51
Isn’t Mickys contract up this season?

14 May, 2018 11:03
Also saw Jose Baxter at Wembley sitting near Banks. Where is he now?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 11:37
Quote:
Itsalldownhillfromhere
Also saw Jose Baxter at Wembley sitting near Banks. Where is he now?

Apparently he’s coming back to us.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 11:55
He’s contracted with Everton and trains with their reserve side whilst he gets back into the swing of things.
An offer could tempt him to want to go back into playing some first team games.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 12:06
Most of our so called reserves where not good enough to seriously challenge for a national place.Why would we move forward with most of that group retained.Sad as it is I would get rid of Wallace,Kirby,Mangan, Dunn,McEverley, even Gumbs and Duggan,Drysdale,Rokka,and if possible Alabi and Waring.
We have a good core but we are far short of a division 2 squad.It is great that we are now back in the league.I hope the management is ruthless in ensuring that we are not just returning to flirt with relegation.
So many suggestions about retention seem to be off the glow of Saturday and forgetting how little impact all the above made even at a lower level.The top half of Div 2 is stronger than than the top end of the national.That is why Barnet,Grimsbyand even Cheltenham continue to look vulnerable.We are capable of a better than making do and hoping squad

stairwaytoheaven

14 May, 2018 13:07
Quote:
rossb07
He’s contracted with Everton and trains with their reserve side whilst he gets back into the swing of things.
An offer could tempt him to want to go back into playing some first team games.

I suspect it will depend on Everton offering him another contract in June, can't see it so he will be a free agent. Wages might be an issue but if nobody else comes in......

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 20:11
Not sure that I would want him.He.We have a very positive player culture at the moment and I am not sure that he would add to that'

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 20:27
Quote:
DevonExile
Most of our so called reserves where not good enough to seriously challenge for a national place.Why would we move forward with most of that group retained.Sad as it is I would get rid of Wallace,Kirby,Mangan, Dunn,McEverley, even Gumbs and Duggan,Drysdale,Rokka,and if possible Alabi and Waring.
We have a good core but we are far short of a division 2 squad.It is great that we are now back in the league.I hope the management is ruthless in ensuring that we are not just returning to flirt with relegation.
So many suggestions about retention seem to be off the glow of Saturday and forgetting how little impact all the above made even at a lower level.The top half of Div 2 is stronger than than the top end of the national.That is why Barnet,Grimsbyand even Cheltenham continue to look vulnerable.We are capable of a better than making do and hoping squad

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 20:27
Spot on Devon

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 21:19
Too many mistakes from Davies to mention.... important ones: 3 , yes 3 at fylde, 2 v macc, 1 at orient, 1 v ebbsfleet, 1 v hartlepool, these are just what I recall off the top of my head. Gotta go I'm afraid

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 22:04
How many games did he win for us.seem to remember some mom games

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 22:22
Sorry Loyden I am with the Kav ,he is making to many mistakes and is always time wasting which just gets added on ,he is not as good as he thinks he is , forget Baxter .he had “issues “ with a few clubs read into it what you will

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 23:18
Baxter; one that Ronnie Moore should have signed when he had the chance and he had two of them that season, but if Baxter comes back he will add something and could possibly be a player with the genuine class at that level to propel Tranmere possibly into the top 3.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:03
Baxter had his chance and threw it away. He was left with nothing a knew it (who would sign a drug user?) Everton have given him the opportunity to reform his life really by getting fit and playing for the under 23’s (even though he’s 26).

I would assume he has regularly been drug tested at Everton, so must be clean now.

The lad just wants to play football, he always has. Remember he turned down an offer from Everton to sign for Oldham.

If the deal was right, I’d welcome him back.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:43
What's the general feeling on Rides?

I've supported him since he was first relegated with us and would still pick him over Clarke, but feel like it might be time to get a replacement as we step up a level. After the incident on Saturday too it's an area for improvement.

As for Davies, I'm happy with him but would be interested to see how he played without McNulty organising the back as he might come out more which is often when he is prone to error.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:49
I think rides will stay, he’s played at league 1 level. He’s not perfect but he does a good enough job defending and chips in with a load of assists

andyc209
andyc209 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 08:46
Just throwing it out there but would Bruno Andrade be worth an enquiry if we can't get Ginelley. Would rather get players hungry to succeed at this level rather than mercenary has-beens - that was our undoing last time. Ollie banks on the other hand.....I'll drive him to the ground.....

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 11:13
Andrade is somewhat of a has-been, didn't make it at PL level, had a few loans at FL level but it didn't really click so received a decent offer to go down to non-league. I think he may well have found his level.

Rides is contracted until the end of next season, i won't take anything away from him on saturday as it turned out alright in the end and for the fact that he doesn't do that on a regular occasion but some cover/ competition and maybe try Clarke out as a winger during pre-season. I'm happy to be wrong about the lad but reckon he could do a job on the left wing!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 11:23
Lets see who leaves first and take it from there.

Micky has a really hard job coming up. Hes going to have to break the bad news to quite a few players despite them getting us back in the F.L. , dont envy him.

Some of rhe squad are just not good enough for League 2 football and unfortunately need to be moved on.

Think we all know who needs releasing without naming them on here.

Banks and DMH would do well if we could afford them and Cookie should be top of Micky's wanted list.

andyc209
andyc209 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 13:14
would they have deals on the table for some of the players like Cookie already - basically if we go up this is the offer and if we didn't a different offer? Every day goes by without him being signed is worrying! I know its early days but lets capitalise on the excitement around the club and get deals done asap.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 14:06
In interviews, MP has suggested that we could find Div. 2 easier in some ways and aim to pass straight through. If that is the aim, we'll need a few new faces, though it seems tough on those who got us promotion. I'd definitely go with McNulty (not just as player, but also defence organiser and captain) but he needs a younger, quick centre half with him. I hope we play with wingers : Ginelly, Cole and (if fit) Tollitt. Injured players have to be rational gambles made on the basis of medical evidence plus inside knowledge (training etc.) plus appearance-based contracts. I hope Tollitt returns as his old self. Kirby deserves some luck . I'd love to see Wallace return, but must admit it now looks unlikely. If not, we really need a creative midfield player. I'd like Banks (possible) and DMH (unlikely). Baxter could be great, but could also be trouble - another gamble where we don't really know all the facts. Ridehalgh should be fine at Div. 2 level and (if he loses some weight) so should Buxton. Not sure about Davies - I accept that even the best keepers make occasional mistakes, but you're amazed when they do ; generally, Davies makes me nervous so, on balance, I'd only keep him as reserve which would presumably be unacceptable to him. Happy to say that our strikers (especially Norwood) proved me wrong and finally played as a pair and took enough of their chances in the second half of the season ; hopefully, they can carry on from where they left off. But we'll need another striker on the bench. However good Mangan may be in the dressing room or to have around the place, I can't see him getting goals. I suppose there's an outside possibility (though no evidence for this) that Waring or Alibi might come good? Assuming not, we need to loan them out and get one good striker in.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 00:10
League 2 should be a little easier, as there are 3 automatic places and compared to the NL it has had for years a 7th place playoff spot, which the NL didn't until this season.

Plus there will be less former part-time and now monied clubs to contend with, so in budget terms there could be one or two less clubs able to match the budgeting of Tranmere, especially if Coventry went up as that's a club that could really spend well at that level, yet I do not feel any of the clubs going down off the same or similar financial clout, with the possible exception of MK Dons.

Tranmere's budget of supposedly £1,000,000 last time came with a top-up from the sales of Ryan Lowe and Ash Taylor, but this time, more sustainability from sponsors, partners, hotel incomes and possible chines investment should see that budget increased without any player sales to bolster it, or league 1 parachute payments, although 2 playoff match incomes will be of benefit.

All-in-all if Tranmere's intended L2 budget could even exceed the last reported L2 budget by 25%, that would be a decent improvement.

stairwaytoheaven

16 May, 2018 11:20
Seem to recall FGR saying getting out of league 2 would be easier than the NL and look were they ended up.
With our increased budget we need to bringing quality into the squad, can't see any of the regular first team wanting to go anywhere.
Looking at the released lists of other clubs there is some quality out there which we will need to snap up asap.
Please no short term loan signings, not after our experience last time in this league.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:18
Fair point but, they managed to stay up.

I would like to think we would be capable of holding our own and a comfortable mid table finish would be fine first season from a personal point of view.

It is are subjective until we see the recruitment and who stays but, with the momentum who knows what lies ahead?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:34
Tollit is an interesting one, feel for the lad but personally I'd move him along if his contract is up. He's been a bit of a sick note, when he first arrived he took a while to settle and ultimately was playing for a contract, not performed since his injuries and never really got a look in at Pompy at a similar level to next season. Personally feel we have no room for sentiment and need fully fit reliable players. On form he's a great addition but there's a massive if next to his name. Davies isn't commanding enough he's a good shot stopper but he's poor commanding the area can can't catch again I'd move him or along or treat him as back up to a new no1. Ridehalgh is great in nothing to games but he's a bottler on the big occasion. Wouldn't be surprised to see Clarke at Wigan but he's not the finished article and his pace got him out of trouble on many occasions when poor positioning or decision making caused problems won't get away with that so much in league 2. Can Cookie cope in League 2 or will he be touting NL clubs as we speak again his been their done that then lost the t-shirt at that level, possibly a gamble. Personally I'd give a go and maybe expect less games goals from him and a bit more hold up play. He's certainly increased the BPM over the last few games. McNulty is another, is NL his level now? another who may be touting NL clubs as we type, Fylde? Do we keep Sutton, is he mobile enough, will lack of pace be his undoing in L2. All big questions for MM.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:26
You've just named 7 players that i feel will almost definitely still be here next season.

Tollitt is contracted to the end of next season also, are we really still talking about Clarke to Wigan? A championship club with 4 first team LBs on their books already.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net