football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

What were they shouting Micky out?
13 May, 2018 09:47
(Sm118) (Sm148) (Sm49) (Sm22)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 09:47 by Higgosboots.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: What were they shouting Micky out?
13 May, 2018 10:30
You beat me to it.... I was gonna start a thread called where's goosed and chums

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 10:31
Quote:
Higgosboots
(Sm118) (Sm148) (Sm49) (Sm22)

Legend of a man.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 13:08
I will be first on the List yes MM came good in the end he realised his mistakes main one dropping Cook but we had a really bad spell and we where 18th at one stage for quite a while that’s when the MM out brigade made their comments .it was obvious a fall out in the camp had occurred .who knows what ? But that was addressed .the players attitude changed so Cook came back and MM got his tactics right at last which cumulated in the great day yesterday ,people comment on what is happening at the time and at the time MM was poor .to me one of the main factors of us going back to the League has been the support from the fans turned up when needed .wirral wants their team back .now things have turned around MM is king of the castle and rightly so .you can only comment about what is happening at the time .be it now or 6 months ago

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 13:49
Quote:
the kav
You beat me to it.... I was gonna start a thread called where's goosed and chums

Im here kav see u at pp today will buy u a pint

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 16:32
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I will be first on the List yes MM came good in the end he realised his mistakes main one dropping Cook but we had a really bad spell and we where 18th at one stage for quite a while that’s when the MM out brigade made their comments .it was obvious a fall out in the camp had occurred .who knows what ? But that was addressed .the players attitude changed so Cook came back and MM got his tactics right at last which cumulated in the great day yesterday ,people comment on what is happening at the time and at the time MM was poor .to me one of the u
main factors of us going back to the League has been the support from the fans turned up when needed .wirral wants their team back .now things have turned around MM is king of the castle and rightly so .you can only comment about what is happening at the time .be it now or 6 months ago
to be honest you have not a lot of evidence to say micky was poor. Cook appeared to have a poor period and micky had to try different options to address why the forwards were not scoring. Football is less of a science and more about motivation and adapting tactics to suit the occasion. Then there were the injuries and suspensions, micky has now built a team spirit and that is no mean feat. We can now judge him on his signings for league Two and team performances from now on. Every team also has bad bunches of games. We should now focus on the positives. I know I was guilty at becoming frustrated with Goosed posts but that was not personal, just my lack of understanding as to why no praise when team did well. I hope he got his tickets sorted and enjoyed the victory.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 17:54
Was in the staggs sorry goosed... if your in the bunny bell bar first home game I will shout you one for my cheek

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 01:07
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I will be first on the List yes MM came good in the end he realised his mistakes main one dropping Cook but we had a really bad spell and we where 18th at one stage for quite a while that’s when the MM out brigade made their comments .it was obvious a fall out in the camp had occurred .who knows what ? But that was addressed .the players attitude changed so Cook came back and MM got his tactics right at last which cumulated in the great day yesterday ,people comment on what is happening at the time and at the time MM was poor .to me one of the u
main factors of us going back to the League has been the support from the fans turned up when needed .wirral wants their team back .now things have turned around MM is king of the castle and rightly so .you can only comment about what is happening at the time .be it now or 6 months ago
to be honest you have not a lot of evidence to say micky was poor. Cook appeared to have a poor period and micky had to try different options to address why the forwards were not scoring. Football is less of a science and more about motivation and adapting tactics to suit the occasion. Then there were the injuries and suspensions, micky has now built a team spirit and that is no mean feat. We can now judge him on his signings for league Two and team performances from now on. Every team also has bad bunches of games. We should now focus on the positives. I know I was guilty at becoming frustrated with Goosed posts but that was not personal, just my lack of understanding as to why no praise when team did well. I hope he got his tickets sorted and enjoyed the victory.
Can't agree 8530 on a couple of your points and agree with 50 Years. You say Cook had a poor patch but that wasn't the case. MM started the season playing Alabi rather than the Golden Boot winner and yes it did look like there was a falling out with Cook. Only after dismal performances from Alabi at Torquay and Guisely etc. did he get dropped. MM also recruited terribly with Alabi, Waring, Rokka all proved wanting and making zero contribution. He also started the season playing terribly negative football with no width or pace. When we were 18th I suspect if finances had been better he would have been sacked. Credit where credit is due however MM turned things round with the loan signings of Banks and DMH and by changing the style of play and we got over the line in spectacular fashion and yes by then MM had clearly got every single player giving everything for him and the club which showed at Wembley in such tremendous scenes! Long may it continue!

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 02:05
MM said at the time that the club had been tough with Cookie in trying to get his fitness levels up. Seems to me that's why he wasn't playing regularly at the start of the season. The result is a fitter and better player than we had in 16/17, and both the player and MM deserve credit for that improvement. Only downside was that the 16/17 version of Cookie was still much better than any of his replacements at the start of the season! But I reckon Cookie is now ready to do the business in the Football League whereas I'm not convinced his 16/17 version could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 02:30 by Aldo'smuzzy.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 05:33
[quote ADD][quote 853OKG][quote Fiftyyearsarover]I will be first on the List yes MM came good in the end he realised his mistakes main one dropping Cook but we had a really bad spell and we where 18th at one stage for quite a while that’s when the MM out brigade made their comments .it was obvious a fall out in the camp had occurred .who knows what ? But that was addressed .the players attitude changed so Cook came back and MM got his tactics right at last which cumulated in the great day yesterday ,people comment on what is happening at the time and at the time MM was poor .to me one of the u

main factors of us going back to the League has been the support from the fans turned up whe

n needed .wirral wants their team back .now things have turned around MM is king of the castle and rightly so .you can only comment about what is happening at the time .be it now or 6 months ago[/quote]to be honest you have not a lot of evidence to say micky was poor. Cook appeared to have a poor period and micky had to try different options to address why the forwards were not scoring. Football is less of a science and more about motivation and adapting tactics to suit the occasion. Then there were the injuries and suspensions, micky has now built a team spirit and that is no mean feat. We can now judge him on his signings for league Two and team performances from now on. Every team also has bad bunches of games. We should now focus on the positives. I know I was guilty at becoming frustrated with Goosed posts but that was not personal, just my lack of understanding as to why no praise when team did well. I hope he got his tickets sorted and enjoyed the victory.[/quote]
Can't agree 8530 on a couple of your points and agree with 50 Years. You say Cook had a poor patch but that wasn't the case. MM started the season playing Alabi rather than the Golden Boot winner and yes it did look like there was a falling out with Cook. Only after dismal performances from Alabi at Torquay and Guisely etc. did he get dropped. MM also recruited terribly with Alabi, Waring, Rokka all proved wanting and making zero contribution. He also started the season playing terribly negative football with no width or pace. When we were 18th I suspect if finances had been better he would have been sacked. Credit where credit is due however MM turned things round with the loan signings of Banks and DMH and by changing the style of play and we got over the line in spectacular fashion and yes by then MM had clearly got every single player giving everything for him and the club which showed at Wembley in such tremendous scenes! Long may it continue![/quo

all I can say is go through the teamsheets for first 10 games. Norwood was sent off in first game. Cook did play in quite a few, missing one through suspension, and on as sub in a couple.. Sorry, I was awake at 4:30.so quite dry response. What I mean is there were circumstances that forced MM to try different players but Cook was mostly involved in the first 10 games despite what a lot of people say and Norwood was silly to be sent off to miss three games. The end result is that the team clicked in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 08:12 by 853OKG.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:06
You’re right 8530, the longer the season drew on they just found the way to play as a unit. That plus a lot of hard work and graft!

I hate to be that guy but I’ve backed king melonhead all season and even had some people call me delusional for saying we’ll go up and Wrexham won’t even get into the play-offs. The second we’re up those people who said we had no chance and Melon out are now crowning him too....what gives?

Can we just pull together and not have a meltdown if we’re not in the top 7 of L2 by Christmas please.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:54
[quote rossb07]

Can we just pull together and not have a meltdown if we’re not in the top 7 of L2 by Christmas please.[/quote
]

Plus 1

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:25
[quote 853OKG][quote rossb07]

Can we just pull together and not have a meltdown if we’re not in the top 7 of L2 by Christmas please.[/quote
]

Plus 1[/quote]

Would make for a dull forum though

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:38
Agree with aktrfc; nice that this has brought us all together and may it continue for the next few months. However, looking forward to the debates come next season, of which I'm sure there will be many. But, for now, what a wonderful bunch you are!!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 09:07
Remember the shrews fan who came on a few times slating micky

Shaumbra
Shaumbra (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 06:55
Quote:
Loyden1
Remember the shrews fan who came on a few times slating micky

yeah but thats old news, dont you think 95% of managers get the same treatment as micky got from the shrewsbury fans if they dont do well in any given sesason, thats football for ya.
it happens to most managers, he's no ferguson or wenger, but look at how wenger got treated by some fans after what he achieved for the club
it just shows you can respect the man who managered the club but still desire change without being disrespectful

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 08:09
It is neither a judgement for or against Mellon but the clubs that do not rush to change managers because of a run of results generally do better. Accrington,Wycombe and Exeter are all examples.
I am not starry eyed about MM but he is a good manager who with us is yet to really prove that he is good at recruiting.He is a builder though as he showed at Fleetwood.Here he has forged a culture of commitment.I think that may have been strengthen by the way he decided some players should be put out on loan having failed to meet expectation.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 22:48
However recruitment of players can be a very problematic undertaking.

look at Alabi. playing for a club probably with a lower budget having scored 17 goals. In the presence of higher cost, slightly better players, it could be construed that he could have gotten over 20 in a season, but the fact he failed to do so is something Mellon could not have predicted or foreseen.

The mistake some have made before and no doubt will make again, is to question why a manager would sign a player months later, when said people have the benefit of what the player has or has not offered for that club, but the manager has no crystal ball, so he cannot recruit based on a players future contributions, only those contributions he has some understanding of at the players previous 1-2 clubs, especially if he has managed that player before.

Even the biggest clubs get it wrong sometimes and they have the luxury of Prozone, Wyscout and many scouts building dossiers of players from around the world.

Tranmere use Wyscout, but they don't use Prozone to my knowledge and cannot get scouts to go to mainland Europe, Asia and South America, as examples looking at players for 3 months, so therefore that makes utilisation of your budget a little more tricky.

I feel confident that Micky Mellon can build a team capable of progressing back up the ranks, but wonder if perhaps the Palios' might be prepared to make a bold statement and either bring in a foreign coach to assist the current setup, who can add experience and knowledge of foreign markets, or even perhaps replace Michael Jackson; but I could see the latter having a possible negative effect on Mellon and his players, so the former might seem prudent.

However the former would have to not have too much of an impact on budget as bringing in, for example, a Spanish, French, German etc coach for something like £40,000, would not harm the budget increase too much and leave Mellon with this years budget and another £200 on top for players, so it could be worth a gamble to bring in someone with foreign market experience to broaden player recruitment.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 23:06
Tranmere don't use prozone no, this is only due to it changing name to STATS which was used in conjunction with the VNL and of course sportradar which was a league sponsor.

MM has spent 3 years i believe in the league before and bringing in someone on the staffing team even from around the lower regions of the league could help out with what you put above too Matt.

Regardless, i have faith that he knows what it is he/they want and will do only what's best for us.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 23:56
True enough. a person with non-league savvy about recruitment, could be a viable option, as I was one for many years like some who thought non-league was not explored enough and barring Tiryaki, Tranmere last 5-6 football league campaigns yielded next to nothing in terms of non-league recruitment and when you look at players like Charlie Austin, Kevin Phillips, Michail Antonio, Chris Smalling, Dwight Gayle, Malcolm Christie, Steve Morrison, Ian Woan etc, non-league has had players progress to the top flight and do well, so logically there would be a higher amount of non-league players capable of league 1-2 football, rather than being touted as some new premier league hot shot.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net