football
Latest News:

tranmerekiwi
tranmerekiwi (IP Logged)

Steve McNulty
12 May, 2018 22:39
No doubt, Cooky, Nors and Connor will make the headlines but I reckon McNulty's performance today was one of the best ever in a Tranmere shirt. Not only did he impose himself on the BW forwards he also led from the word go, even with all that was going on around him he didn’t flinch. Losing two of your backline in the first half, three if you count Buxton, having to shepherd two players in Monthe and Harris playing out of position and all against a spare attacker was nothing short of awesome. Legend status duly achieved.

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

Re: Steve McNulty
12 May, 2018 22:44
Definitely agree about McNulty, I thought Monthe had a good game. I was worried as he hasn't played much and thought he would tire but he put in a great shift. Incidentally, did we sign Monthe or is he on loan to us?

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 22:51
That was tough test, we dug deep, stayed organised, the lads stuck to their task and quality edged us over the line.....great game, well played Rovers !!!!

Shaumbra
Shaumbra (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 22:59
i think Monthe is on loan, i agree, he played well hopefully we can keep him

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 23:16
Quote:
tranmerekiwi
No doubt, Cooky, Nors and Connor will make the headlines but I reckon McNulty's performance today was one of the best ever in a Tranmere shirt. Not only did he impose himself on the BW forwards he also led from the word go, even with all that was going on around him he didn’t flinch. Losing two of your backline in the first half, three if you count Buxton, having to shepherd two players in Monthe and Harris playing out of position and all against a spare attacker was nothing short of awesome. Legend status duly achieved.
McNulty had a fantastic game today, a true leader on the pitch

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 01:08
Agree he was immense today...
Also liked his line during the post match interview when asked to comment on Nors and Cookie's goals he joked...." if they had done that at the start of the season we would have won the league by 20 points". Class!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 07:37
Legend, he’s more than capable in league 2 also.Class act.

welshrover
welshrover (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 07:41
He's still under contract at fgr but he's been made available for transfer not in their plans was announced at end of the season

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 10:49
Quote:
Shaumbra
i think Monthe is on loan, i agree, he played well hopefully we can keep him
Agree He played well yesterday , put in some important challenges and tracked back well to gain back possession . My only concern is as a right back the only thing he can only use his right foot for standing on !

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 15:03
McNulty will be a deserved part of Rovers folklore.Whether he will be a certain starter next year is another point. Div 2 is a step up and a younger McNulty was soon judged to be not up to it by Luton. I am sure he will be here next season but I can also see a logic in looking to strengthen our central defence.
We have a good core capable of contributing at the next level.We also have a significant number from the squad that fall short.Mellon showed yesterday that he can make tough calls and well we all celebrate he must already be making some tough decisions

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 15:20
McNulty showed his value to the club yesterday as a player and captain. We were lucky to get him. I remember being impressed by him when we played Luton in Div. 2. He was a popular and important player for them - they didn't want to let him go, he came to us for family reasons. We need a quick central defender to partner him. He's easily god enough for Div. 2 next season.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 22:09
Out of the two FGR guys who played against Tranmere last season, Monthe is on loan and Traore signed permanently.

McNulty will continue to be an asset, but bringing in at least 1 CB could be the order of the day, even if Monthe is signed, as it would be prudent to look at one or two possible options, because if a few players with an extra 10%-20% more quality compared to guys like Sutton and Monthe were available for the right money, Mellon would be foolish to go with what he's got.

Even someone with another 2 goals in them compared to a guy like Norwood, would make sense if the weekly cost was right, because you want the best team you can and even if Ginelly and Monthe joined permanently and everyone else stayed barring Hughes who is leaving, having a team consisting of all the players used on the day and maybe Buxton in place of Ridehalgh, wouldn't necessarily give the best chance of a double promotion and having a weekly selection of 10 of the main playersin the final, would not necessarily be prudent, but Mellon certainly does have tough decisions to make but he's in a nice position whilst doing it.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2018 23:10
Anyone know what the set to was all about after the final whistle with McNulty and their manager/players?

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 00:32
McNulty being McNulty i would suspect in the same way he stupidly got a yellow card for verbals against Ebbsfleet after their player had already been sent off. That said in the actual game when it mattered he was the exact opposite being calm, showing great leadership after the sending off, great play and when necessary approached the referee every time in a calm and disciplined way. Superb!

misterecoli
misterecoli (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 09:59
What I don't get with McNulty is, he's only 34. Is there any reason he couldn't get in better shape? He is a professional footballer after all, I don't think losing a few pounds and getting a little bit of pace back should be too much of a stretch, can't see how it would make his game worse and only improve his chances of competing at Lg 2

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 10:50
Quote:
misterecoli
What I don't get with McNulty is, he's only 34. Is there any reason he couldn't get in better shape? He is a professional footballer after all, I don't think losing a few pounds and getting a little bit of pace back should be too much of a stretch, can't see how it would make his game worse and only improve his chances of competing at Lg 2

Seems to of done a supreme job most of his career being a XXL man tho.

misterecoli
misterecoli (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 11:40
Agree, but you do wonder whether he could have been even better if he was a touch lighter on his feet?

misterecoli
misterecoli (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 11:40
Delete - Posted it twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 12:33 by misterecoli.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 13:23
Quote:
misterecoli
Agree, but you do wonder whether he could have been even better if he was a touch lighter on his feet?

Guess we will never know, but can’t get better than bending names player of season and included in team of season multiple times in XXL mode.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 23:11
Bending names player of the season? What is bending names, is that a football website of some kind, or did you just make a typo?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 May, 2018 23:55
Quote:
Matt34
Bending names player of the season? What is bending names, is that a football website of some kind, or did you just make a typo?

It’s a typo ! Ha, “getting named player...” I think I was supposed to put 🤭

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:45
I reckon Steve has trimmed down massively compared to when he was at Luton, Buxton may even be larger than him now.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 07:45
Quote:
Hardly Irons
I reckon Steve has trimmed down massively compared to when he was at Luton, Buxton may even be larger than him now.

Just to clarify, that's the player not the place in Derbyshire.

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 21:51
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Quote:
Hardly Irons

Just to clarify, that's the player not the place in Derbyshire.

Hahaha Brilliant!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 00:18
I wonder what the people of Buxton would have felt if there had been a genuine comparison between their opera house and Steve McNulty (Sm7)

The difference between McNulty and their opera house, is you get a different kind of performance with the opera house, but it's easier to play inside it than it is McNulty.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 14:02
why did macca have his hands wrapped around garrards neck? garrard garrotted lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 16:45 by hong kong rover.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 15:07
I think Mr McNulty also will have a say in bringing through 'The Next Generation' of a midfield dynamo too.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 23:06
This guy could give Mcnulty a run for his money girth wise

Lee McEvilly

I'm not saying Tranmere should sign him however, as his potential to play for Tranmere has long since gone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net