football
Latest News:

Wirral Mike
Wirral Mike (IP Logged)

Best Midfield
15 April, 2018 18:06
Any thoughts on who the best mid 4 should be for our remaining games?

The back 4 seems to pick itself (now that Eddie Clarke seems to be off the scene, for whatever reason, and MM has decided, rightly IMHO, that Richie is a better option than Monthe) and they seem quite settled now. The 'only' thing for me about the back 4, and it's a big thing, is a worrying lack of pace which means the midfield need to be (a) quick and (b) ready and willing to go and help out, especially against speedy forwards.

The front two of Nors and Cookie are in a purple scoring patch (looking forward to Nors being a 20 goal a season man, he's only 1 off that now) and of course they must start, with the very capable and willing Andy M ready to come on and run himself into the ground for the cause. Whether it's 20 minutes or 2 minutes his attitude and effort is 100% every time.

I would play Harris, Hughes, Cole and Jennings. Norburn is decent and has not done a lot wrong but he has just hasn't done too much lately and Ben seems to be, to use that old cliche, 'out of sorts'. Hughes has always got a good pass in him and is very calm under pressure, Connor has pace and can often get you a goal or set up a goal and Cole also has pace and deserves his place after yesterday. Harris is not too slow and is needed to do the tidyng up, breaking down the opposition, winning the ball for the other three and helping to protect the back 4.

The next poster on here will probably pick a totally different midfield from me and will make a great case for doing so, but that's fine that is what makes football interesting.

Keep the faith, dreaming of Wembley.....

Now who's on the bench? Assuming the GK and Andy M take 2 of the places then perm any three from Traore, Wallace, Norburn, Tollitt and? Should MM have a recognised defender on the bench?

Also if (please note I said IF) and when we secure 2 /3 place will MM rest some for the POs or will he keep with the same 11 and not risk breaking up a (hopefully) winning team?

It is going to be an interesting couple of weeks for sure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 21:23 by Wirral Mike.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Best Midfiled
15 April, 2018 18:12
Norburn is quality, not sure what people have against him, think he’s the best midfielder in the league, he will generate league 1/2 interest in the close season.

Tollit, Norburn, Traore, Jennings

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 18:19
I`d go along with the Harris , Jennings , Hughes and Cole selection but would utilise them differently . I`d have Jennings left mid , Harris centre mid and Cole right mid giving lots of pace and combative play with Hughes sitting a little deeper in front of the two centre backs providing cover and using his passing to begin the attack . I think with his ( relative ) lack of pace he'd be great in that position also aiding the break up of attacks .

Wirral Mike
Wirral Mike (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 18:47
Higgos boots I have absolutely nothing against Ollie Norburn or his quality, I like the guy and hope he stays. I am just not quite sure that it has been happening for him in the last few matches, that's all, and in IMHO the other 4 currently shade it - just. If he continues to be picked by MM, as I think he will, then he will only get 100% encouragement and praise from me for all the good things he does.

I predicted that the next poster would change 'my' midfield 4 for a totally different set up, well I was almost right you changed 3! That's great and more power to your elbow for doing so, we all see things in our own way and thanks for the debate.

Keep the faith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 21:25 by Wirral Mike.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 20:51
Wallace is the best player in this league, let alone best midfielder. If he's fit (which is now a big if since he's not been given match time) I would have liked to see him plus Traore as a midfield with some class and vision. However, I accept that's very unlikely now (and could leave our centre backs too exposed) so it'll probably be Hughes or Harris with Norburn. I'd choose Tollitt (if fit and in form which is also an if) and Jennings. Norburn is a better player than Harris, but Harris has more energy and grit. Hughes has some quality but does tend to go sideways or backwards. Obviously, a draw is no good if we get to Wembley and I think our best bet is fast attacking football.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 21:07
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Wallace is the best player in this league, let alone best midfielder. If he's fit (which is now a big if since he's not been given match time) I would have liked to see him plus Traore as a midfield with some class and vision. However, I accept that's very unlikely now (and could leave our centre backs too exposed) so it'll probably be Hughes or Harris with Norburn. I'd choose Tollitt (if fit and in form which is also an if) and Jennings. Norburn is a better player than Harris, but Harris has more energy and grit. Hughes has some quality but does tend to go sideways or backwards. Obviously, a draw is no good if we get to Wembley and I think our best bet is fast attacking football.

You must have a good memory with Wallace? .... I cannot remember what sort of a player is, it’s been that long. Jennings, Norburn, Cole, Hughes and Harris half a game each for me.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 21:40
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
HardlyYardley

You must have a good memory with Wallace? .... I cannot remember what sort of a player is, it’s been that long. Jennings, Norburn, Cole, Hughes and Harris half a game each for me.

Well, ideally, I'd go for Koumas, Harvey, Morrissey and Nevin.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 21:52
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
HardlyYardley

Well, ideally, I'd go for Koumas, Harvey, Morrissey and Nevin.

Now there’s a midfield that actually played for us and not kept the treatment table warmed up...

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

Re: Best Midfield
16 April, 2018 10:55
Cole,Harris,Norburn & Jennings with Traore as back up.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 19:43
Depends on the opposition norburn and cole are definites, against cloggers like dover i would have jay in there, teams that play a high line or have full backs that push on i would have wallace or jeff in to theead the pass in the space behind and teams that get everyone behind the ball i would play ginelly and clarke... you may have noticed ive not mentioned connor jennings but ive done the same last 2 home games after about 60 minutes ive suddenly noticed jennings is actually playing . Is it me or has he not done a lot lately?

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 19:57
Connor has been poor by his standards recently and has been giving the ball away far too often.

In his defence, he hasn't been the only one but, we keep winning which, is the most important thing at this stage of the season with everything still to play for.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 20:50
Possibly Connor is being tightly marked and should keep it more simple as he is making space for other players. Worth his place as he has the potential to produce something game changing

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 23:21
Just been reading stats on Wallace. He’s played a grand total of 10 games since signing an 18 month contract in Jan 2017. So do we give him another contract?

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 11:16
After the Ebbsfleet game at the man of the match presentation Norwood said that of his type Harris is the best midfield player in this league. The key phrase was of his type. without him we always look as though we lack balance. It is not a question of individuals but getting the chemistry right. I would certainly want his energy and tenacity for tonight's game.
It would be nice to think that we could go into the last game of the season still with a chance to be champions but the priority is to cement a semi place and an ugly one point could be adequate

Theinsiderboy
Theinsiderboy (IP Logged)

18 April, 2018 11:53
just a little update on Jay Harris people may not know, after the gatehead 4-2 game Jay had a swollen ankle and 5 stitches in it,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net