football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Thirty Years On
15 April, 2018 13:21
It is exactly 30 years ago now since that wonderful Wembley weekend at the Mercantile Centenary Football League Festival and remember it with great fondness. I was working in London at the time and remember about 4 of my pals travelling down from the Wirral for that alcoholic footballing weekend and cramming them into my small flat in North London for a couple of nights. Remember Muirys great goal vs Forest on the Sunday and to be honest none of us thought we would make it thru to the Sunday, thinking it will just be the Saturday. Without doubt the Rovers fans were the best bunch of supporters that weekend and most other fans thought so too, especially the Sunderland fans with whom we built up a strong rapport and I recall exchanging scarves with one of the Mackem fans. Also remember on the Saturday during a gap between matches, I went down to one of the snack bars underneath the stands for some refreshments and seeing a small mob of about 20 to 30 Wolves fans nearly kicking off with a similar number of Leeds fans. Fortunately, nothing happened and common sense prevailed but a few 'choice' words were exchanged between them, lol, eg F**k off you Yorkshire tw*t.. Anyway, when the days events on the Saturday had finished, we spent the evening drinking in a couple of pubs in North London, then it was back to my flat, with take-away curries, to watch the days highlights later that evening on 'Match of the Day.' At the end of the programme when the end credits came up on the TV screen, the camera had zoomed in on some of the Rovers fans and there was me n pals up on the screen, lol. I looked utterly ridiculous and a right wally in this green coloured army type jacket and a blue n white Rovers cap that was way too big for my head, lol.. A real fashion victim, lol. I video taped the highlights but about 5 years down the line I accidentally taped over them.. Looking back on that great weekend 30 years ago, it really did signal the start of the most successful period in the clubs history and if it is to be Wembley for Rovers next month then here's hoping another chapter opens up bringing further great success to TRFC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 14:40 by hong kong rover.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Thirty Years On
15 April, 2018 14:11
Yeh great wkend hkr.I remember getting quite emotional when we beat Wimbledon. I travelled home then back the next day.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 14:27
Quote:
Loyden1
Yeh great wkend hkr.I remember getting quite emotional when we beat Wimbledon. I travelled home then back the next day.

I remember having a celebratory drink in the bar after the Wimbledon game when in walked John Fashanu,Terry Gibson and a few of their other players who were good company.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 15:16
I seem to recall that the price for the first day was £20 and £20 for the second day but £30 if you bought in advance for the two days. I only bought for the first day as I had a conference in Bournemouth on the Monday and needed my suit. I had however covered all eventualities and brought my suit and left it a friend's house. I of course bought a ticket for the second day and I have never been so proud of Rovers as I was that day. I had to go to Bournemouth straight after the tournament and arrived at the hotel flag in hand. When I got to reception everyone wanted to talk about Rovers something which I have never been shy doing!

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 18:04
There are moments that define a change in future fortune. I went expecting us to have a brief but welcome part in the event but early in the game against Newcastle there was a sudden sense that not only could we match them but also a feeling that the whole psyche of the club had suddenly changed.To any outsider it was an artificial tinpot tournament but it re-established believe and pride in the club after a succession of bleak seasons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net