football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Aldershot (H)
13 April, 2018 21:00
Is it just me or does anyone else think Andy Cook striking instincts are reminiscent of great Tranmere strikers of yore? Maybe it’s me getting a bit old and thinking too much of bygone days but the predatory instincts that Cookie is displaying remind me of the fear that Ian Muir and John Aldridge created among opponents.

It’s certainly true that he has hit a rich vein of form at exactly the right time which must fill all Rovers hearts with confidence that we can score against anyone. And goals are what win matches. I think only Danny Rowe at Fylde can rival Andy Cook at the moment.

So on that basis, I am looking forward to the challenge against Aldershot tomorrow. They play a bit so they will be dangerous but making it a game of football will play into our hands a bit, hopefully giving us more chances.

I am fully aware that recent games have also given us a few things to consider in terms of defensive lapses and midfield selection headaches but it’s always been like that hasn’t it???) I don’t remember going into any play offs or promotion run ins thinking we were going to completely walk it and smash anyone we faced. So it’s the same now. There are negatives for sure but I think the positives outweigh them.

Every ounce of all our collective beings need to be totally focussed in a positive way for the rest of the season. Recriminations and complaints must now be saved up for the end of the season and dealt with then. Until that time let’s stay with boys to the end as we remain unbeaten and achieve our goal of seeing Cookie score goals in the football league.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Aldershot (H)
13 April, 2018 21:03
''Until that time let’s stay with boys to the end as we remain unbeaten and achieve our goal of seeing Cookie score goals in the football league.''

For us.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 22:08
Don’t know on this one it’s a tough week ahead .i will go with a 2-2 9 pts for grabs ,no particular order but 1win 1draw 1loss this week then 2home wins .5 wins a bit much to ask .lts who has the bottle time .sink or swim

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 22:35
I am far from confident about this game, seen some good matches at PP with Aldershot unfortunately the were both 2-2 draws. This is certainly a game we can win if everyone turns up. Realistically both teams need the win, more so if Macc slip up in the early kick-off. I will be sat in the Kop in hope rather than expectation but as always behind the team. 2-1 win to the SWA.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 22:57
This time last season we effectively had a fully functioning 3-5-2 going on which gave us the manpower in midfield to dominate, i.e.:

Danis,

Buxton , Steve, Ihieke

Vaughan, Hughes, Harris, connor and Rides,

Stockton and Norwood.

Can we fit the current players into such a potent force that gives us the grip in midfield that I think we have been lacking recently against the better teams?

Maybe:

Davis,

Buxton, Steve, Sutton,

Tollit/Ginnelly, Norburn, Harris/Traore, Connor, Rides/Clarke

Cookie, Norwood.

We would be swapping Ihiekwe for Sutton, Vaughan for Tollit, Hughes for Norburn and Stockton for Cook.

We can't allow other decent teams at this level overrun us in midfield which Macc did and which we will struggle to deal with in the play-offs...imho.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 23:25
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
i will go with a 2-2 9 pts for grabs

I had to read that twice as I thought you were suggesting 2 2 9 as a formation for the game, because I knew that would be an illegal formation.

Also on reflection even if you could have 13 players on the pitch, using 9 strikers would be a bit silly (Sm7).

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 23:44
Think Rovers will be ok for a win tomorrow. Going 2-1 SWA

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 00:04
2-0 for tomorrow!

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 00:17
Andy Cook becoming a Rovers legend for sure. Midfield could be key tomorrow. Hope we get off to a good start and on the front foot from the word go, as Ronnie used to say. Looking forward to this match.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 09:18
Aldershot have not been in great form and even their win last week was far from convincing.If we turn up it is a winnable game.The doubts stem from our pretty mediocre record in this league against teams near the top. Despite that I feel that at home we should be confident. If not then what would it say for our prospects even if we did finish in a semi final place

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 09:56
12:30 kick off for Macclesfield today. Could become exciting if they drop points.

7 wins out of 7 was a tall order but hey, we've already got 2. We should be able to play with some freedom/ confidence seeing as play-off semis appears to have been achieved.

There's still a little pressure on Macc to get over the line. At 3pm we could be 12 behind with 3 games in hand.

Stranger things must have happened

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 10:04
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
12:30 kick off for Macclesfield today. Could become exciting if they drop points.
7 wins out of 7 was a tall order but hey, we've already got 2. We should be able to play with some freedom/ confidence seeing as play-off semis appears to have been achieved.

There's still a little pressure on Macc to get over the line. At 3pm we could be 12 behind with 3 games in hand.

Never stop believing..#SWA

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 10:42
Quote:
Johnos Hackers
Quote:
CaptainFriendly

Never stop believing..#SWA

C'mon the Rovers, C'mon Orient.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 10:47
Aldershot are a good team but, without Mensah and the other guy on loan from Ipswich and subsequently sold to Celtic, do not seem as potent as last season.

As ever, one game at a time and keep winning until Macc cannot be caught.

I can't see a repeat of their debacle at Fylde, so I am going 2-0 rovers aswell.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 12:41
Nice sunny day back in the UK , watching the Macc game on BT Sport, C'mon you Orient!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 12:42
I’m going for 3/1 for the SWA and a Nhorsewood jump at the last post,

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 12:51
Sh*t Macc are 1 up with a pretty direct goal

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 13:16
yess orient equalize and fully deserved too. been impressed with orient in this first half. they look a threat going forward and have had chances, they can win this game,, great save from the orient keeper on 30 mins to keep a blissett header out.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 13:20
1-1 at half time,, since going 1-0 down orient have been the better side and they definitely have goals in them.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 14:24
finished 1-1.. useless piece of info - BT Sport said that John Askey had breakfast with Sir Alex Ferguson this morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 14:59 by hong kong rover.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 14:50
Will not be an easy one....but I am very hopeful.
Incidentally I see Wallace doesn't make the bench today - I probably shouldn't be surprised but surely that can only be on accunt of him being injured again?
Pleased to see Jeff Hughes has not been dropped after signing for Larne...

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 14:56
Unless Wallace was injured in training, it's a ridiculous decision not to even have him on the bench.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 15:47
Quote:
ADD
Will not be an easy one....but I am very hopeful.
Incidentally I see Wallace doesn't make the bench today - I probably shouldn't be surprised but surely that can only be on accunt of him being injured again?
Pleased to see Jeff Hughes has not been dropped after signing for Larne...

I would have Harris in everytime for this sort of game

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 15:53
Good job we don't have Wallace disrupting our pattern of play by keeping the ball and then passing to our players.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 15:58
Sounds like a dreadful first half and worse than that Tollitt has gone off with apparently something wrong with his previously injured knee..hoping it is only precautionary.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 16:21
It sounds as if no one can win the ball for us. Surely it is time for Harris.This midfield has lacks balance.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 16:57
2-0 well done rovers, the title isn't maccs yet.

MESSAGES->author

14 April, 2018 17:01
every chance that wrexham could miss out entirely on the play offs. their last 2 games are against the 2 in form sides orient n fylde, he he he lol. it looks as if keates was the only thing holding them together.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 17:11
Great 3 points after a tight first half.

Cole came on and unlocked the Aldershot defence with that killer pass. He was my man of the match. What we lacked in first half in attacking the final third.

Only player I would criticise is Norburn. Thought he was poor

Great to see Norwood finishing sharply.

Just need to keep going. Keep the faith !

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 17:54
Just looked at the fixtures remaining and the team that won the league in jan wrexham have orient away and fylde home to play ouch

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 18:57
Note to self "Be patient". Possibly one of our most important victories this season, bearing in mind the opposition, what's at stake and the increasing pressure to win our final games. Aldershot's game plan, they are a very good side, frustrated us until the enforced introduction of Cole; Tollitt looks a little way off from being ready and possibly a blessing in disguise that he came off (please don't take this to mean it's lucky he got injured, just in the context of the game. I hope it's a minor injury). Great through ball from Cole and a great finish from Norwood for the vital opener; the whole context of the game changed at that moment. I didn't think we would concede today (I usually do!), but it was a relief to get the second with great persistence from Cook who, overall, had a quiet game, but credit to the Aldershot defence who kept him quiet. It's a shame we couldn't squeeze that 3rd goal in right at the end, but very satisfying result all the same.
The ref today; like an itch you can't scratch. He's destined for bigger and better things though; self-righteous enough to go far. Also, a couple of dreadful offside decisions in the second half from the assistant; for once, the runs were timed perfectly. Probably just nit-picking (there I go again about itches you need to scratch).
I think the Dover game on Tuesday will be tougher again, but confidence must be pretty high at the moment, so a win is a distinct possibility.
I've had a healthy, non-alcoholic week, but making up for it tonight to celebrate our success. If any strange posts appear later, it's not me!

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:07
I hope Larnell Cole gets full credit for his performance today. As well as being instrumental in the first goal, he put in an impressive all-round effort tackling back and creating chances. I would start with him rather than Tollitt; Tollitt seems to have lost a lot of his sharpness after his injuries, which is only natural, but Cole looks up for the challenge.

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:10
Quote:
jimrod
I hope Larnell Cole gets full credit for his performance today. As well as being instrumental in the first goal, he put in an impressive all-round effort tackling back and creating chances. I would start with him rather than Tollitt; Tollitt seems to have lost a lot of his sharpness after his injuries, which is only natural, but Cole looks up for the challenge.

Agreed ..Cole was superb today and should start against Dover ..

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:13
Very good result A really bitty game with lots of missed passes.Well done to Cole for his part in the first goal.Hope Tollitt is not too seriously injured..We need everyone available for the remaining games.SWA

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:20
Quote:
jimrod

Agree entirely.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:33
Tollit is not what he remembered he was? , a lot of players lose it after a major injury and he’s another as far as I have witnessed. Cole is much better.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:37
We need just one win from the last four games to guaranteed a semi place.At the end of October I would have very happily settled for that outcome

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:41
Hope taking Cookie off was a precaution, he took quite a knock late on?

Larnall Cole had a great game after coming on and should start ahead of Ben T who has been struggling since returning.

I agree Ollie has been poor in the last couple of games, since returning from suspension.

Winning is the important thing for Rovers at the moment and Macc looked a bit uncomfortable against Orient.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 19:46
Agree with all above about Cole. Tollit looked a bit of a shadow and got a right bo*****ing off Micky early doors for not challenging for a high ball in midfield.

Cole looked sharp, keen and not afraid to have a go and get back to put in a tackle. He must start.

Great result and the rest, bar Boreham Wood, failed to pick up 3 points or lost.

I still have this niggling concern about the midfield 2 not dominating. It was ironic how dangerous we looked going forward once Cookie and Nors came off when we had a 3 of Harris, Hughes and Norburn out-muscling the opposition and threading through balls through (I do grant that that was against a weary Aldershot who wanted on the bus at that point).

Noticed Aldershot had rented a coach from Runcorn and obviously were getting the train from there.

It was funny Micky urging the crowd to make a noise during a lull when we were 1-0 up... if you are reading this Micky we were probably quiet because we have learnt that lots of support raising the roof has seemed to put ourlads off against the better teams in the past... (see Macc, FGR, Wrexham, Sutton, Dover etc,,,!) winking smiley

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 20:03
Cookie fell awkwardly on his back and neck... tollitts looks bad we were about 20 yards from it... same knee his reaction spoke volumes... we actually chatted about whether or not hes finished

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 20:47
Tollitt actually walked normally without a limp off the pitch,but obviously it doesn't look good. I personally think his main problem is that he's been trying too hard and just needs a piece of luck[which obviously didn't come today]to boost his confidence. Cook hobbled for a minute or two after his knock but was running okay after that. I think Harris was brought on instead of him just to see the game out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 21:54 by Hoots Mon.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 20:52
Radio reckoned that Cook was playing with stitches in an ankle so that may have been the reason for his withdrawl

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 20:53
I find Larnell Cole a bit of an enigma. Some times he look like he's not sure whether he cares or not. Others like today show that he is a very good footballer when he puts his mind to it. His pass to set up Norwood for the first goal was superb. Yet as he was running forward with the ball before releasing the pass,he had three of our players to choose from. Part of me expected a poor ball.How wrong I was. The timing and accuracy of the ball was first class and basically the match was won at that moment. Well done to him[and the rest of the team]-he should have been M-O-M because it was him who made the difference.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 21:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
I find Larnell Cole a bit of an enigma. Some times he look like he's not sure whether he cares or not. Others like today show that he is a very good footballer when he puts his mind to it. His pass to set up Norwood for the first goal was superb. Yet as he was running forward with the ball before releasing the pass,he had three of our players to choose from. Part of me expected a poor ball.How wrong I was. The timing and accuracy of the ball was first class and basically the match was won at that moment. Well done to him[and the rest of the team]-he should have been M-O-M because it was him who made the difference.

Funny youbshould say that hoots i said to the lads around me cole was motm but i bet the corporate sponsors give it to norwood as theveasy option after a few hours in the bar

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 21:55
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Hoots Mon

Funny youbshould say that hoots i said to the lads around me cole was motm but i bet the corporate sponsors give it to norwood as theveasy option after a few hours in the bar

Well it's easy to give it to the player who scores the goals.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 22:03
Really good game plan today they didn't have a sniff. Larnell was good when he came on but please! let's not speculate on Ben's injury

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 22:11
Quote:
kennyspint
Really good game plan today they didn't have a sniff. Larnell was good when he came on but please! let's not speculate on Ben's injury

Ben seems to offer very little anymore? Bit of a Mekki for me. Hit and miss.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 22:47
And the ref was awful

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 22:49
Quote:
kennyspint
And the ref was awful

First ref I’ve seen that wanted the ball each time to set up each free kick tho

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 22:53
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
kennyspint

I thought the team played well today, it was always going to be a tough game and although it was a little scrappy at times Aldershot didn't really have many chances at all. Clearly the team had been sent out with a plan to get the result and they seemed to play from the whistle with some intensity. Cole certainly changed the game when he came on, as well as going forward he put in a shift tracking back, playing like a man who wants a new contract. I noted that MM had a chat with him as he left the pitch, for me he was MOM today.
One mystery during the game is why in the first half the Aldershot team kept asking for the ball to be changed.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 23:14
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
kennyspint

I thought the team played well today, it was always going to be a tough game and although it was a little scrappy at times Aldershot didn't really have many chances at all. Clearly the team had been sent out with a plan to get the result and they seemed to play from the whistle with some intensity. Cole certainly changed the game when he came on, as well as going forward he put in a shift tracking back, playing like a man who wants a new contract. I noted that MM had a chat with him as he left the pitch, for me he was MOM today.
One mystery during the game is why in the first half the Aldershot team kept asking for the ball to be changed.

They did it again at least three times in the first few minutes of the second half. Eventually Mike Jackson became exasperated at this and personally went and checked all the remaining balls-surprise surprise the ball wasn't changed again.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 23:16
Quote:
kennyspint
And the ref was awful

We've had him 4 times this season[at Ebbsfleet,Leyton Orient and Borehamwood as well as today]. He wasn't the best,but he WAS consistent.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 23:30
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
kennyspint
And the ref was awful

We've had him 4 times this season[at Ebbsfleet,Leyton Orient and Borehamwood as well as today]. He wasn't the best,but he WAS consistent.

Like morning after curry consistent?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 23:35
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
kennyspint
And the ref was awful

I would agree the ref wasn't bad, I've certainly seen worse

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 April, 2018 23:36
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
kennyspint
And the ref was awful

Like morning after curry consistent?

I don't like curry so I can't answer thatsmiling smiley

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 11:39
The first ball change was certainly correct i pointed out it had an egg in it as scotty was taking a goalkick... it was obvious

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2018 19:17
interesting to note there are 2 james rowe's at aldershot.. one of them being waddocks assistant and the other being the former rovers midfielder.

MESSAGES->author

16 April, 2018 17:54
Have just viewed the Vanarama Highlights Show and a great pass from Cole for Norwoods first goal. 2 teams with contrasting fortunes are Ebbsfleet, who are on a good run of form and have a chance of sneaking into the play offs, although 3 of their remaining 4 games are away from home and Woking who are in real danger of going down and have only taken 3 pts from the last possible 36.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net