football
Latest News:

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

Is Andy Cook the best striker in the NL
11 April, 2018 16:08
Cookie scored another 4 goals last night and one wonders where we would have been without him this season. He is now joint top scorer in the League with James Rowe of Fylde who many have considered the outstanding nonleague scorer of the season. Certainly Rowe has been a phenomenal player for Fylde and he might have been a welcome addition to our squad had he been available.

But is Cookie the better player? I think figures suggest he may be! Cook has played 2941 minutes this season as opposed to Rowe's 3745 minutes. Cook scores a goal every 123 minutes whereas Rowe averages a goal every 156 minutes. No-one else comes close! Macauley Bonne of Orient has scored 20 goals with one every 172 minutes with 3438 minutes played.

As a matter of interest Norwood has scored 17 goals having played 3177 minutes a goal every 187 minutes.

Each player of course brings something different to the game but to me Cook's worth is inestimable to us. It is impossible to say where he will be next season but we should move heaven and earth to ensure he stays!

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

Re: Is Andy Cook the best striker in the NL
11 April, 2018 16:32
Macclesfield prove you don't need necessarily one or two outstanding strikers. They have one person at 12th on 12 goals. No one else in top 23! 12 1-0 scoreline are better than 4losses and 8 games with 3 or 4 goals for. Consistency wins the league championship more often than not. Having said that, the win yesterday would not have happened without Cook. The defence is flaky in critical games.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 18:02
He is not just a goal scorer works very hard to ,the defence is our archliies heel .i would say Cook /Norwood the best two in NL

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 19:07
I’ve been told he has been offered a new and improved contract today. Just waiting on his agent. Figures crossed he accepts as every other team in this league would love, although they hate him while he’s with us.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 19:20
Hopefully, he will be in league 2 with Tranmere next season....

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 19:25
Andy Cook only got a hat-trick last night. The fourth goal apparently came off Harry Kane's shoulder!

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 21:25
Cookie has been Mr. Consistent.Without him we would be stymied.Look what happened at Wembley last May.Get him signed up and give Norwood a longer contract.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 21:31
Not sure you can say someone is “best”. You could say Rowe has scored less goals per minute but his goals have come in a team that took some time to acclimatise and may have had less chances to score than Cook. He’s been pretty prolific for sure.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:16
Yes he is the best striker in the NL this season, but it is a team game, and he has had some great service from his team mates. Certainly this season the link up play with Norwood has been excellent, Jennings too.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:29
He’s bordering on Tranmere legend status

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:44
Quote:
TranmereFan
If we can keep them both then Cook and Norwood could rival Muir and Steel in the legend status.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 23:31
muir and steel were playing in a team that had very good midfielders and defenders. i don't think this team is at that level yet. too inconsistent.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 23:52
It depends on the interpretation. If the comparison is this team versus that it would fail, because that was a period of history where the team was gaining more than one promotion and had players of league one, championship and premier league quality, but if you mean a like for like comparison of Tranmere now versus current standard of opposition and then with the past standard of opposition, then the comparison would been a little more valid.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 06:26
I would have no doubts about starting a league 2 season with Nor and cookie up front, in fact I’d be disappointed if they didn’t.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 07:43
He is the best we have and we are unlikely to get better. Teams may sometimes go up without a prolific striker but I am certain that every manager would prefer to have a player that is a 20 goal a season player. To replace him could well cost more than retaking him.I just hope that we do all possible to keep him

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 09:04
Should be the first name on the team sheet.
I would compare Cookie and Nors this season with Clayton & Clarke.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 09:14
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
TranmereFan
If we can keep them both then Cook and Norwood could rival Muir and Steel in the legend status.

If they get us out the NL as legends maybe but they are not even close as players.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 11:28
When Cook and Norwood both score in the 2-0 play-off final win against Macclesfield they will certainly be legends.

(I am aware only one of us and Macclesfield can be in the play-offs this season, by the way.)

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:29
Although I only get to see Rovers in live TV games and club website/you tube clips, the Cook/Norwood combo is not too dissimilar from that Peter Withe/Gary Shaw partnership at that successful Aston Villa side in the early 80s,( Cook as Withe, Nors as Shaw) although being at a much lower level than the dizzying heights that Villa attained during that early 80s era.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:37
You have to wonder how it took so long for them to knit.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:41
Quote:
martyd12
Cookie scored another 4 goals last night and one wonders where we would have been without him this season. He is now joint top scorer in the League with James Rowe of Fylde who many have considered the outstanding nonleague scorer of the season. Certainly Rowe has been a phenomenal player for Fylde and he might have been a welcome addition to our squad had he been available.
But is Cookie the better player? I think figures suggest he may be! Cook has played 2941 minutes this season as opposed to Rowe's 3745 minutes. Cook scores a goal every 123 minutes whereas Rowe averages a goal every 156 minutes. No-one else comes close! Macauley Bonne of Orient has scored 20 goals with one every 172 minutes with 3438 minutes played.

As a matter of interest Norwood has scored 17 goals having played 3177 minutes a goal every 187 minutes.

Each player of course brings something different to the game but to me Cook's worth is inestimable to us. It is impossible to say where he will be next season but we should move heaven and earth to ensure he stays!

Danny Rowe?

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 13:18
Quote:
hong kong rover
Although I only get to see Rovers in live TV games and club website/you tube clips, the Cook/Norwood combo is not too dissimilar from that Peter Withe/Gary Shaw partnership at that successful Aston Villa side in the early 80s,( Cook as Withe, Nors as Shaw) although being at a much lower level than the dizzying heights that Villa attained during that early 80s era.

interesting to note that villa won the first division title that year and they only used 14 players during the whole campaign, how times have changed!

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 21:49
Quote:
Hardly Irons
You have to wonder how it took so long for them to knit.
I don't know, I can only speculate but I suspect that last season they were competing to be to be top scorer, in what was evidently unhealthy rivalry, you would rarely see them pass to each other. This was very evident in the full and frank discussion they had over who was going to take a penalty. Now and again you still see them taking the selfish route (like the third goal at Sutton, Norwood was better placed to score), maybe its not selfish, it might just be a confident striker taking a chance on, which now and again isn't a bad thing.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 23:39
Quote:
aktrfc
I would have no doubts about starting a league 2 season with Nor and cookie up front, in fact I’d be disappointed if they didn’t.

I would not be disappointed as such, only because if Tranmere go up, it would be stupidity for the manager not to try and sign at least one striker and with the intention they be a first choice selection, as it would not look good to say I signed a new striker for competition, to replace someone who had left and also because I need good back up.

In theory someone for the right price could be out there who could get a leading edge on Cook or Norwood and get regularly picked even if that person added as little as 5% more quality to the front two and it only gained the team another 2-3 on goal difference, who knows how vital those added goals could mean? L2 playoffs or just missing out first season back in the league?

I would not be disappointed however if both started regularly in that league, as I feel both could do well enough at that level.

My feelings are that Norwood could be the one replaced, if both stayed and the team was in league 2, only because although he has grown into the role more since he joined, Cook has been a 20+ goal man 2 years running and got into the 20's before that with Barrow and being roughly the same age he has shown more longevity when it comes to bagging goal tallies of 20 and up, so it can't be said he has had much longer to get up to that standard because he's 4,5,6 years older than Norwood as that is not the case, they are separated by roughly a month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 23:45 by Matt34.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 16:17
MM is yet to sign a worthwhile striker. We have two of quality ans I would rather see both staying rather than hope that the recruitment of a replacement is significantly better than those signed last summer

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 22:33
Both staying would be beneficial of course, but if a league 2 budget allowed for the signing of anyone, who could get even 2-3 goals a season more than either Cook or Norwood, then to fail to pursue any such a signing(s) would not be proactive at all.

Any manager getting promoted would be practically forced to sign at least one striker by default, as any club supporter would expect that, to demonstrate that the manager and the club were serious about continuous improvement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net