football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Jeff Hughes joins Larne FC
11 April, 2018 16:56
Seems Jeff Hughes has joined Larne FC on a three year deal and has left Tranmere.

Update think he is joining them in summer break but whether he joins before don't know the answer but he has technically gone as far as next season and for the next three is a Larne FC player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 17:05 by BELMONT.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Jeff Hughes joins Larne FC
11 April, 2018 17:05
No mention of this on the club website yet, Belmont

Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:07
Yep look at their twitter page...3 year deal back to were he started....ouch best passer in the team gone...not good

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:20
It may seem a strange time for him to go with only a month at most of the season to go. I doubt he would have been here next season and surely we have enough strength and depth in the squad without him. Wallace is yet to make a contribution this season but is clearly ready to play and we have yet to see the best of our Forest Green import who looks a quality player!

Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:22
YouTube video is up of his interview with Larne...hes leaving at end of season

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:37
Why in mm interview when asked about Hughes he said at least 6 times he had a wrist injury

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:50
He thinks Eddie Clarke is injured too!

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:58
Shame, but it’s what he wants, moving back home, maybe family played a big part in move, feel like it’s a step down and weird time to say, season is not even over yet

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 18:13
Shame that, I liked him.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 18:28
Quote:
trfc-boi
Shame, but it’s what he wants, moving back home, maybe family played a big part in move, feel like it’s a step down and weird time to say, season is not even over yet

There's perhaps a lot going on at Larne FC new owners have pledged £5 million pounds into the club over the couple of years for new players and investment in the ground.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 18:40
Mellon said hes injured . Must be the same injury eddie clarke has

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 19:06
Hope it’s not catching put Cook in quarantine.i think it’s called Clarkitus,just comes on people suddenly

SmartRover
SmartRover (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 21:07
When specifically questioned about where Hughes was last night MM was quite insistent that he had a wrist injury and didn’t want to aggravate it, quite funny that because the photos in the tweet clearly show Hughes having no problems signing his new contract and happily holding the club scarf in both hands with no bandages present so can one of our hacks show some bottle and firmly ask MM is he taking the mickey with us dedicated fans, sorry but let’s be honest with us, it works both ways when they’re asking us to commit to the club with purchasing season tickets.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:18
Very strange time to leave. What's going on Rovers ?😑

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:32
Good luck to him but not the player he was when first arrived.

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:59
Quote:
Tranmere69
Very strange time to leave. What's going on Rovers ?😑
He is not going until the end of the season when his contract is up'

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 00:39
He may well have a wrist injury, but the injury might not be that severe that he can't hold a pen or a bit of fabric, both of which are really weighty items that could seriously worsen an injury, especially given that most football scarves weigh about 20kg's and the average pen is about 10kg's, insert mild sarcasm here.

Mellon didn't say what kind of injury but I doubt he was eluding to a broken one.

This is the kind of pen Hughes must clearly not have used to sign the contract, as it could have aggravated a preexisting injury.

http://nearshoreamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/small-man_big-pen.gif

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 01:16
Three year contract for a 33 year old from his hometown club - sounds like a great move for the lad and I doubt we could compete with an offer like that even if we wanted to. A class act who'll be hard to replace. Good luck to him.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 08:06
ThTs a hell of a deal for the lad, the best he would have got from us is a year. Good luck to him. Let’s hope he still has to play a big part this season

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 08:39
It is a sound move both for the player and the club. Hughes is a good passer of the ball but in recent times he has also shown that in fast paced games he lacks a presence.At 33, I would have been surprised if we had offered him a new contract.
I would not however pin hopes on Wallace. He may be getting back to match fitness but there has to be massive just doubts about his durability

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 08:43
Quote:
DevonExile
It is a sound move both for the player and the club. Hughes is a good passer of the ball but in recent times he has also shown that in fast paced games he lacks a presence.At 33, I would have been surprised if we had offered him a new contract.
I would not however pin hopes on Wallace. He may be getting back to match fitness but there has to be massive just doubts about his durability

Wallace should be let go too, can’t be carrying players even if they are class. What’s the point if they never get on the pitch.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 10:08
A great player with a cultured left foot. The heart beat of the team when he plays. Will be a miss unless we can replace him with someone like Ollie Banks.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 10:10
Quote:
martyd12
He thinks Eddie Clarke is injured too!
Wonder if Hughes will also stay injured for the rest of the season as looks likely with Clarke?

That said this sounds like a great move for him as for sure we would not have been offering him a 3 year contract and he gets to go home...

Wish him all the best.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 10:22
tranmere has a history of paying to have players recover for months and months so no reason to doubt the Eddie Clarke situation. just another in a long line of injured players.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 11:54
If he is staying till end of season and he is fit then it would be brill if his last ever game in a Rovers shirt was at Wembley and he hits the winning goal for us.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:11
His chasing down in the semi against aldershot set the tone for the whole match. He’s one of the main reasons we demolished them at there place imo.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:25
Wrist injury makes sense. At this stage of the season we want players who are committed, rather than playing out the season ahead of next season's challenge. Loanees might be appearing frozen out for the same reason - the more dedicated players are to the cause the more likely we to turn around a 2-goal deficit into a victory. We need that fighting spirit on the pitch at the moment.

If MM was to come out and say he's dropped him for signing elsewhere and questioned his commitment, it would make it hard to bring him back in if needed. The same perhaps applies to Clarke. I suspect both will play against Hartlepool if second/third is guaranteed.

Calling it a wrist injury is perhaps right - he's done something with his wrist that is preventing him from playing.

I've thought Hughes has been one of our best players over the last couple of seasons, fitting into a range of roles and fighting hard wherever he's played. His effort has really dragged the team along at times, so a Wembley winner would be well-deserved.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 15:04
Well I say good luck to him ,a3year deal at his age is brilliant and back home as well no one can begrudge him the deal and he is seeing the season out with rovers .in life you have to get the best deal you can and if something is good for you and family go for it

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 16:07
Totally agree with those sentiments.
I am not sure that I would be in a rush to play him in another Wembley final.Last year our midfield was awful in the final and lacked pace .Hughes has been a good servant but McNulty needs mobile mid fielders in front of him and he was exposed last year.At Wembley. Traore would be a better option.Selection was flawed last year.If we get another chance then I would assume that MM will have learnt from last year

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 16:40
He's served us well. Thanks and good luck Jeff.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 17:36
Can't say anything more that's already been said other than good luck to the man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net