football
Latest News:

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

Advice needed - First trip to Tranmere
11 April, 2018 07:51
Hi

We are new to the area and I'm looking to take my 8 yr old son to watch some non-league football and thought about going to the Aldershot game this Saturday.

I'm looking for some advice about which stand would be good to sit in (I don't mind paying a little extra for a good view). Also, any ideas about where is good to park - I don't mind a little walk to get there.

Thanks in advance!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Advice needed - First trip to Tranmere
11 April, 2018 08:01
Hi gbox, Storeton Road is good for parking (near to tennis club); always plenty of space if you arrive an hour before kick-off and then only a short walk down Prenton Road West to the ground. The family paddock, main stand or family area in the Kop are probably best suited.

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 08:09
Thanks Phil :-)

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 08:10
High gbox take Phil advice and hope you enjoy the game and come again

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 08:58
Quote:
gbox
Hi
We are new to the area and I'm looking to take my 8 yr old son to watch some non-league football and thought about going to the Aldershot game this Saturday.

I'm looking for some advice about which stand would be good to sit in (I don't mind paying a little extra for a good view). Also, any ideas about where is good to park - I don't mind a little walk to get there.

Thanks in advance!

If you arrive about an hour or so before kickoff you could always go on the car park at the ground don't know what they charge for this as I have a carpark permit.

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 10:25
Thanks for the replies.

Would I need to book tickets in advance or would it be ok just to buy them on the gate?

terribletid
terribletid (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 12:15
You'll be fine to buy at the ticket office at the ground but expect to queue for 5-10 minutes depending on the time you arrive.

If you're going with the little lad, I'd ask to go highish in the middle of the main stand to make sure he has a good view of the game. That's where we take our little ones.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 12:23
£5 for car park might be better to use that if your new to area till you get your bearings so to speak ,enjoy your first visit ,but you will be back

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 12:40
Quote:
gbox
Hi

Thanks in advance!

Youve moved to the right area if u want to watch non league football. The Wirral hasnt seen any league football for 3 years now. But hopefully come August league football will be seen again on the peninsula.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 12:50 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 12:48
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
gbox
Hi

Thanks in advance!

Youve moved to the right area if u want to watch non league football. The Wirral hasnt seen any league football for 3 years now.

Now, now HKR. Chin up as Nors would say!

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 12:52
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
gbox
Hi

Thanks in advance!

Youve moved to the right area if u want to watch non league football. The Wirral hasnt seen any league football for 3 years now.

Now, now HKR. Chin up as Nors would say!

Lol ive just edited my post phil..ive been in a strange mood today lol

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 13:59
Quote:
gbox
Thanks for the replies.
Would I need to book tickets in advance or would it be ok just to buy them on the gate?
You can pay on the gate, but they charge a little more for adult tickets (the Kop is £19 as opposed to £17 if bought in advance). If you are technically minded you can order the tickets on-line and then show the e-ticket on your phone to get in. I did this last time I went to a home game. To get to the family area on the Kop it is easiest to go in via the turnstiles in the car park.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 14:05
It’s not very nice chaps taking the p out of poor old fifty ,have you seen the new picture for Belmont that’s me at the physio but he looks in better shape .very harsh 😡 even HKR has a new one that’s probably him eating a pie in readiness in case we get to Wembley. .every picture tells a story .a good one for me would be the Titanic slowly slipping beneath the waves

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 14:12
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
It’s not very nice chaps taking the p out of poor old fifty ,have you seen the new picture for Belmont that’s me at the physio but he looks in better shape .very harsh 😡 even HKR has a new one that’s probably him eating a pie in readiness in case we get to Wembley. .every picture tells a story .a good one for me would be the Titanic slowly slipping beneath the waves

Gotta have a new avatar pic in recognition of and to honour Cookie Monsters 4 goals last night, Fifty.. Sad to say that I won't be able to make it back to Wembley this year if we get there. It will be live BT Sport for me in HK.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 14:39
That’s bad news HKR but you will be in the wife’s good books .i will let in be known around Wembley to cut down on the pies no need to waste them if your not coming ,still you can have a few beers and the natives can listen to Come on the whites SWA drift over the waterfront sounds alright to me ,think of the money you will save

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 14:41
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
That’s bad news HKR but you will be in the wife’s good books .i will let in be known around Wembley to cut down on the pies no need to waste them if your not coming ,still you can have a few beers and the natives can listen to Come on the whites SWA drift over the waterfront sounds alright to me ,think of the money you will save

lol, cheers fifty, now come on mate, the pie jokes are wearing a bit thin now.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 14:45
Ok your right no more mention of 🥧 👍

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 14:47
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Ok your right no more mention of 🥧 👍

no worries at all mate.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 14:47
Gbox

I hope you and your son bring us luck! We don't have a good record against the top teams!
Let us know how you get on and tell us whether you both enjoyed the experience!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 23:44
Quote:
hong kong rover
Gotta have a new avatar pic in recognition of and to honour Cookie Monsters 4 goals last night, Fifty.. Sad to say that I won't be able to make it back to Wembley this year if we get there. It will be live BT Sport for me in HK.

Strange looking cookie he's eating; looks more like salami, but then there wasn't a character in Sesame Street called Salami Monster was there (Sm7).

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 09:12
Go to a Liverpool game instead (Sm22)

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 22:45
Take my advice, wait for a game that we're on TV or we've dropped the price for a big attendance - we're guaranteed to bore the hell out of your bairn and lose terribly and he'll never want to come back.

Don't put him through the 30 year torture I have faced as a child.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 23:12
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Take my advice, wait for a game that we're on TV or we've dropped the price for a big attendance - we're guaranteed to bore the hell out of your bairn and lose terribly and he'll never want to come back.
Don't put him through the 30 year torture I have faced as a child.
Taking a kid to a Tranmere game might be considered child cruelty, but as parent who has take my lads along I think it teaches kids important life lessons. My youngest went to Wembley last year we were all disappointed but he took it on the chin and come August he was up for the Torquay trip.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 00:12
Quote:
gbox
Hi

Thanks in advance!

If he's not already taken from one of the bigger teams then get him along to as many games as possible.

Nothing beats the rollercoaster that is TRFC.

Fiftyyearsarover

13 April, 2018 02:58
Yes be warned .i went in 1949 just to see what a League game was like and I am still there you will get angry vexed annoyed frustrated ,in 5years time you will both have had pacemakers fitted but you won’t get bored ,you never get bored ,it borders between sublime and pathetic but there is 5000 in the same boat .we wait in anticipation for your views . You have turned up at the right moment ,playoff and possibly Wembley appearance ,but take a box of Kleenex with you (each) as most of us poor sods know what’s coming , you must shout super white army and every balls a white one with feeling ,enjoy

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 13:49
Hello again

Thanks to everyone for their help (including the tongue-in-cheek comments which amused me!).

Think I'm sorted with where to park, and I'll try and get tickets on the gate for the top of the main stand for a good view. For some reason I couldn't see them on the website to buy in advance, but hopefully I'll be able to get the tickets for that stand when i get to the ground .

We are both really looking forward to it, I'll be back on here after the game to let you know my thoughts after my first visit :-)

Thanks again!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 20:01
If you have time before or after the game go into the fanzone-the big tent in the car park.

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 22:38
The Birch Tree, right next to the entrance part of the ground is a decent modern boozer, with lots of tellies to watch before the game and outside space for kids.

However, when you are looking for a last minute gargle they seem to have ONE person trying to serve 10 thirsty punters queuing up whilst another one fills the shelves with glasses, ignoring the clamouring hordes running out of time before kick-off, and the manager/ess gabbing with a local completely unaware of the time-constraints with the game kicking off in 15 minutes.

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 11:01
So...we survived our first trip :-)

I'm not sure my son loved it, but he didn't hate it either - and he is still young so it might take a few trips for him to get into the swing of things.

The whole "Match day experience" was really good though. Parking by the tennis club and walking in worked a treat. Walked down with a guy who showed us the way to go, where to get tickets and told me a bit about the club. Got tickets in the main stand, and the view was excellent - one of the best I have ever had at a football ground.

Was a really friendly experience, I've had reservations about taking my lads to football given the behaviour and language I've seen in the past (at anything from premier league to county league), but I saw none of that at any point Saturday. I don't think I heard a single f-bomb dropped, and that has to be a first from any football match I've ever been to!

Will definitely be back, maybe even in a couple of weeks. Failing that it'll be next season to watch Tranmere in div 2!

Thanks again for eveyone's thoughts on this thread, much appreciated.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:31
Quote:
gbox
So...we survived our first trip :-)
I'm not sure my son loved it, but he didn't hate it either - and he is still young so it might take a few trips for him to get into the swing of things.

The whole "Match day experience" was really good though. Parking by the tennis club and walking in worked a treat. Walked down with a guy who showed us the way to go, where to get tickets and told me a bit about the club. Got tickets in the main stand, and the view was excellent - one of the best I have ever had at a football ground.

Was a really friendly experience, I've had reservations about taking my lads to football given the behaviour and language I've seen in the past (at anything from premier league to county league), but I saw none of that at any point Saturday. I don't think I heard a single f-bomb dropped, and that has to be a first from any football match I've ever been to!

Will definitely be back, maybe even in a couple of weeks. Failing that it'll be next season to watch Tranmere in div 2!

Thanks again for eveyone's thoughts on this thread, much appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed it. You brought us luck[as did Jeff Brazier] so please come again

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 19:33
Glad you enjoyed it gbox.

A tip for your lad enjoying the experience more... about half an hour or so after the game the players come out from the Players' Entrance which id just along from the shop at the back of the main stand. They are normally wearing team tracksuits and come out in ones and twos. You will see a little crowd of youngsters with mums and/or dads waiting for them and also players' families.

In my experience they always have time for the youngsters; signing autographs and posing for photos etc.

On Saturday, after watching the National in the Birch Tree, as we went back to the car park for the car I saw Norburn and Cole strolling across to their motors, Ridehalgh, Richie Sutton and Jeff Hughes.

This isn't Premier League off limits stuff as the players are very approachable, especially for the kids.

I've spent time there when passing through at the same time having a good chat with players about the game and what's happening with them and the club.

I remember Andy Mangan being fantastic with the kids signing autographs and letting them take selfies as well as Norwood and Andy Cook.

Give it a go and I am sure your lad will be smitten because I would have been at his age... (tbh I still am now as an arld codger chatting with the players!)

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 20:06
Where in the ground did you go

gbox
gbox (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 20:46
Thanks for the idea, may well hang around afterwards and see if we can catch up with a few players, I'm sure the boy would love that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net