football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Gateshead (H)
10 April, 2018 16:47
Isn’t it funny how people’s views of matches are different. I had the unenviable task of painting the bathroom ceiling last Saturday so I listened to the game via Mixlr. But when I watched the highlights, I felt the commentary had not done justice to a couple of the incidents, including the first goal. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Anyway as I can’t make this evenings game either, I will have to rely on others views again but all we are really bothered about is the result now.

In the context of Gatesheads four games in a week, we should catch them at a low point and will hopefully win. A nice high tempo game with the quality of our squad should do the trick.

All eyes and ears will also be glued on the other National League fixtures but particularly on the Macclesfield game. A win for Rovers and a defeat for the Silkmen could set into motion a serious wobble that we might capitalise on.

Hope springs eternal and it’s a High hope for sure but wouldn’t it be lovely!!!

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Gateshead (H)
10 April, 2018 17:42
Quiet tonight. Is there a corporate game on?

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 18:03
I've injured myself in the pre-match warm-up so can't make it to PP this evening... my knee started to play up on the way to the shop to grab a few cans. sad smiley

I am confidently predicting a match full of pressure by TRFC on the Gateshead goal, both the bar and the post hit, two clear penalties not given to us, their GK M-O-T-M and Gateshead on the break scoring a totally unwarranted winner. 0-1.

p.s. I am not related to either Mystic Meg or Nostradamus so I have utmost confidence in my prediction being crap!

Keep the faith! winking smiley

Come on the Rovers!

Mattc777

10 April, 2018 19:08
what's with the suicidal passing around the back?

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 19:34
Oh dear. Wish I hadn't thought about 6wins. Statistically, Tranmere have tended to stumble into the playoffs. They were 5th in the year they beat Bolton, so I should have expected this. Not there. Is the pitch heavy?

Should have waited to comment till the end!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 20:18 by 853OKG.

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 20:13
I know we might be short of cash but can I put in a claim for compo for the cost of changes of underpants i have had to make during this game?

Any lawyers out there? no win no fee? smiling smiley

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 20:48
Well from the depths of despair to the highs of ecstasy in 90 minutes.... First hatrick for Cookie in white.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 20:59
What a turn around!

Silko
Silko (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:03
And then there were 2

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:03
Half time I was consulting my doomometer ,watched Liverpool .then checked scores ,fell of the couch .you never know what’s coming next .4goals for the main man Cook .who was the last Tranmere player to score four goals .i can’t remember ,but well done team .Halifax won again that could be sticky next Tuesday .wrexham failing again .chester done us a good turn .a good nights work

rover87
rover87 (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:08
Andy Cook in this type of form is very dangerous long may it continue get the man signed up to a new contract ffs SWA

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:34
How classy was gatesheads number 6.... excellent playe

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:41
How come Blissett was playing for Macs tonight when he got a straight red on Saturday?

Silko
Silko (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:48
Quote:
TranmereFan
How come Blissett was playing for Macs tonight when he got a straight red on Saturday?
Red card appealed and quite rightly rescinded

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:57
Quote:
Silko
Quote:
TranmereFan
Red card appealed and quite rightly rescinded

Ah, cheers! They have all the luck at the moment!

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:16
just woken up to see the score, we turned it around then and 4 goals for cookie. shame that macc won. wrexham are stuttering, lol. sutton utd not doing well, maybe they don't want to rip up their 3G pitch after all.. amazing turn around from roma to beat barca.

pc1968
pc1968 (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:18
Last player to score 4 in a league game possibly Ian Muir against Peterborough ?
Not sure of the year

Fiftyyearsarover

10 April, 2018 22:32
The trouble is I don’t think we can keep hold of Cook especially if we don’t go up .he will be off to a bigger club and more money ,you can’t blame him .maybe Norwood to .that would be a huge blow .interesting summer .MM contract up to

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:52
[quote pc1968]Last player to score 4 in a league game possibly Ian Muir against Peterborough ?
I remember that game. It was a rescheduled match; the original game was abandoned due to floodlight failure when Peterborough were winning 1-0. In the replay we won 7-0 with Ian Muir scoring 4 goals. Great memories!

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:52
[quote pc1968]Last player to score 4 in a league game possibly Ian Muir against Peterborough ?
I remember that game. It was a rescheduled match; the original game was abandoned due to floodlight failure when Peterborough were winning 1-0. In the replay we won 7-0 with Ian Muir scoring 4 goals. Great memories!

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:56
I was just going to ask that. Did Aldo score a Hat Trick? Last one I remember was Rideout against Southampton. Great times but Cookie is more important now in terms of achieving our League status again.

Mattc777

10 April, 2018 23:55
Nice not to be freezing my bits off.

My apologies if I'm wrong but didn't the fourth come off his backside whilst a mile (and a half) offside? Not that I'm complaining. Whenever Cookie was up for a jump in the area, no one looked capable of competing. That alone bodes well for the playoffs.

For balance, we had, let's say, a voracious appetite for risk in the first half. We've all seen Steve with his Cruff turns in the past but today it was clear three were instructions not to play long or safe at the back in the first half.

Those sentiments clearly changed during the half time talk as McNulty booted the ball out of play from a central position early in the second half.

It's starting to look like the home tie against Macc is likely to be the focal point of the whole season. A game we COMPLETELY dominated for 55 minutes. Such a shame.

Anyway. Good that we tend to sweep the underdogs aside. Especially at home. I just hope we can bring our A-Rod game when playing against the top sides

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 00:05
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Half time I was consulting my doomometer ,watched Liverpool .then checked scores ,fell of the couch .you never know what’s coming next .4goals for the main man Cook .who was the last Tranmere player to score four goals .i can’t remember ,but well done team .Halifax won again that could be sticky next Tuesday .wrexham failing again .chester done us a good turn .a good nights work

Halifax is a week on Saturday-at least that's when I'm going. Dover is next Tuesday.

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 04:04
See that last nights Gateshead goalkeeper is a relative of legendary 70s Sunderland keeper, Jimmy Montgomery. I still believe the greatest save i've ever seen was Jimmy Montgomerys amazing double save in the 1973 FA Cup final, even better than the Banks save against Pele 3 years earlier.

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 04:45
Cookie is now joint top scorer in the NL.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 07:19
Well, that was a game of two halves, if ever there was one. First half was verging on nightmarish, but Cook's last minute goal was a psychological game-changer. Going in at 2-0 down, I personally think it would have been a different outcome. The second half was like retro Rovers and gave me flashbacks to some of our memorable comebacks; it's been a while! Cook had an outstanding all-round game and you get the feeling we must go up for him to stay.
In the first half we seemed to sit off them, giving them too much time and space on the ball, which epitomised both goals. Second half we harried them more and got in their faces, which they struggled to cope with.
It's a shame Macclesfield won, which took some of the gloss off our victory, but hats off to them as they've won yet another fixture we failed to win (that's a fact, not pessimism!).
Second place now looks very achievable and don't mind who we play; would be great to play Wrexham, with PP packed to the rafters. However, I have predicted that Wrexham will miss out on the play-offs and currently that's where it's heading; where's Dai when you need him!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 08:05 by Phil65.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 07:48
Credit to Gateshead for making it a good open game. Two up front - definitely a change to see someone come and take us on rather than parking the bus ad deploying the dark arts. A case of deja vu meets ground hog day for the goals. Rides skinned by York for the first and Davies beaten by a nothing shot from distance. But we always looked like we had goals in us. Cookie was magnificent and will probably think he should have scored 5 - skewing a shot off target when it looked easier to score.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 07:53
Quote:
Phil65
Well, that was a game of two halves, if ever there was one. First half was verging on nightmarish, but Cook's last minute goal was a psychological game-changer. Going in at 2-0 down, I personally think it would have been a different outcome. The second half was like retro Rovers and gave me flashbacks to some of our memorable comebacks; it's been a while! Cook had an outstanding all-round game and you get the feeling we must go up for him to stay.
In the first half we seemed to sit off them, giving them too much time and space on the ball, which epitomised both goals. Second half we harried them more and got in their faces, which they struggled to cope with.
It's a shame Macclesfield won, which took some of the gloss off our victory, but hats off to them as they've won yet another fixture we failed to win (that's a fact, not pessimism!).
Second place now looks very achievable and don't mind who we play; would be great to play Wrexham, with PP packed to the rafters. However, I have predicted that Wrexham will miss out on the play-offs and currently that's where it's heading; wher's Dai when you need him!!

Anyone but Fylde who are now up to 5th I think,

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 08:17
Does Cook get one and a third match balls?

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 12:30
I believe he got a tin of Dubbing( if you don’t know your to young) 😀

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 13:37
so Macc need 4 pts from their final 3 games to be champs.. hoping results go somewhat like this..

MACC

H Leyton Orient lose 1-2 ( Orient in good form at the mo )

A Eastleigh draw 2-2 ( long trip n could be a tricky pitch )

H Daggers draw 1-1 ( they blow it )

They bottle it and Rovers win their final 5 games to take the title by 1 pt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 14:00 by hong kong rover.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 13:38
In a sadistic way, i'd happily take Fylde on at home in a one off game.

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 13:48
I am beginning to think that a 1 leg semi at Prenton vs Sutton utd might be the best, that is if we finish 2nd or 3rd and Sutton don't finish in the top 3. Sutton are stuttering now and they've lost their last 3 games. Maybe Sutton don't want to rip up their 3G pitch after all, lol.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 14:28
Noooo not Fylde you can see the headline ex rovers players meet as managers etc I really don’t fancy Fylde they score to many goals you don’t want them over 2legs .wrexham have surprised me the number of points dropped the last 2months is amazing they could have given Macc a run for their money ,what has happened is that my brother lives opposite Wrexham training fields and his wife is always watching them through the kitchen window she has a face only a mother could love so I reckon they have been traumatised .cant think of any other explanation .its between 8 teams for 7play off places at the moment they could fall out of contention .we have to keep winning we will lose one I think Aldershot Halifax Dover could be potential banana skin games I would take one defeat 4 wins now

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 14:37
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Noooo not Fylde you can see the headline ex rovers players meet as managers etc I really don’t fancy Fylde they score to many goals you don’t want them over 2legs .wrexham have surprised me the number of points dropped the last 2months is amazing they could have given Macc a run for their money ,what has happened is that my brother lives opposite Wrexham training fields and his wife is always watching them through the kitchen window she has a face only a mother could love so I reckon they have been traumatised .cant think of any other explanation .its between 8 teams for 7play off places at the moment they could fall out of contention .we have to keep winning we will lose one I think Aldershot Halifax Dover could be potential banana skin games I would take one defeat 4 wins now

it wouldn't be over 2 legs, the new format means that ALL play off matches are just the one leg.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 14:40
Whichever way it goes, the team will be on its last leg.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 14:49
Sorry I thought 2/3rd played one game the others 2legs or have I lost the plot again MATRON

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 15:08
I could see us grabbing a win against the shots, they're a hard working side but lack some of the quality they had last season. Dover is a tricky one so i'll be ecstatic with a draw/win but would take a no-score draw right now.

Halifax, Solihull and H'Pool are all winnable. We just have to show a professional manner to get the job done.

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 15:13
Fifty .I thought the 4/5/6/7 th was over 2 legs as well and we play just one game at home .Macclesfield could actually draw all 3 remaining games and we still go up if win all ours

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 15:28
the play off dates are out and are as follows.. THEY ARE ALL ONE LEGS

Wed 2nd May - elimination round - match A - 5th place v 6th place ( 5th place at home )

Thur 3rd May - elimination round - match B - 4th place v 7th place ( 4th place at home )

Sat 5th May - semi final - 2nd place v winner of elimination match A ( 2nd place at home )

Sun 6th May - semi final - 3rd place v winner of elimination match B ( 3rd place at home )

Sat 12th May - Wembley final

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 15:30 by hong kong rover.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 15:42
Quote:
hong kong rover
so Macc need 4 pts from their final 3 games to be champs.. hoping results go somewhat like this..
MACC

H Leyton Orient lose 1-2 ( Orient in good form at the mo )

A Eastleigh draw 2-2 ( long trip n could be a tricky pitch )

H Daggers draw 1-1 ( they blow it )

They bottle it and Rovers win their final 5 games to take the title by 1 pt.

Like the optimism and would love you to be right!☺☺

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 15:45
those play off dates are subject to change coz of TV, but I wouldn't think they would change. no kick off times mentioned as of yet. bit surprised the wembley final is a Saturday, its usually on a sunday

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 15:48 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 15:56
HKR, it's much better being on the Saturday with a day off work on Sunday. I'll be either getting over the biggest celebration hangover for many a moon or drowning in self-pity. So will it be Sobering Sunday or Suicidal Sunday?

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 16:13
Quote:
Phil65
HKR, it's much better being on the Saturday with a day off work on Sunday. I'll be either getting over the biggest celebration hangover for many a moon or drowning in self-pity. So will it be Sobering Sunday or Suicidal Sunday?

what would be better phil is drinking right thru to early hours monday after our wembley win on the saturday , taking a sickie on monday and back to the grind tuesday. sadly i will not be coming back this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 16:15 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

11 April, 2018 16:42
hi phil, have just found out the reason why the play off final is on Saturday, the sunday is the final round of matches in the premier league season and tottenham v leicester is on the sunday at wembley.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:26
Quote:
hong kong rover
hi phil, have just found out the reason why the play off final is on Saturday, the sunday is the final round of matches in the premier league season and tottenham v leicester is on the sunday at wembley.

Thanks HKR. For once, thank you premier league!

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 22:22
I watched the extended highlights of the game. Rides certainly earned his place in the side two great crosses for goals 2 and 3. What did worry me a little was the second Gateshead goal, that corner routine is very similar to the one Eastleigh used, they didn't score but its something MM needs to take a look at, because you can be sure opposition managers will be looking at it and working on something similar. The defenders need to be switched on and close down the player running from deep.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 23:58
"Even National League club Gateshead FC tweeted: “Our second goal at Tranmere Rovers last night has now been awarded to Harry Kane.”"

Following said player's desperate attempt to catch Salah......

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 06:57
More of a concern for me was Scotty's position, he was routed on his line and didn't react to the possibility of the shot by narrowing the angle and repositioning further forward?

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 07:23
I think scotty will be disappointed with the 2 goals he conceded having watched the highlights

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 09:21
Quote:
mini_andy
I think scotty will be disappointed with the 2 goals he conceded having watched the highlights

Not a Scott fan but no real chance with the second, it skidded in and bounced right in front. More of a worry is our tendancy to not pick people up in the box and picking up players on the edge of the area is defending corners 101. They had a disallowed Tap in to. Get away with it against likes of Gateshead but it’s why we have struggled against top sides, and have that regular L in amongst our W’s, we don’t do the basics well and the top sides are good enough to exploit.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 12:48
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
mini_andy

Not a Scott fan but no real chance with the second, it skidded in and bounced right in front. More of a worry is our tendancy to not pick people up in the box and picking up players on the edge of the area is defending corners 101. They had a disallowed Tap in to. Get away with it against likes of Gateshead but it’s why we have struggled against top sides, and have that regular L in amongst our W’s, we don’t do the basics well and the top sides are good enough to exploit.

Davies was not a fault with either goal. Ridehalgh gave the scorer far too much room for the first and the second came through a mass of bodies.

The disallowing of their tap in intrigued me. As the original shot deflected off one of our defenders, was their ''scorer'' not played onside? Or maybe the officials[who were pretty good compared to most]construed it as Kane's shoulder and therefore disallowed it?

MESSAGES->author

12 April, 2018 13:10
have just seen the 10 min highlights on you tube, looks as if cookie could have had 1 or 2 more goals. thought his best goal was the 2nd goal to equalize, gatesheads 2nd goal was a nice strike. poor old gateshead are playing again tonight at halifax.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 13:38 by hong kong rover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net