football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Chester (A)
07 April, 2018 09:34
The significance of today’s game should not be lost on any of us. We could hammer one of the final nails in the coffin of Chester’s tenure as a National League club. Equally, they could deliver the coup de grace to our fading hopes of winning the title by beating us today. So a lot to play for then!

This is not a meaningless fixture and simply a procession for Rovers. They will still be sending 11 men out who will be trying to win the game. They have been unlucky in a couple of games and have only lost towards the end of matches. Chester certainly gave Wrexham a run for their money on the telly a few weeks ago, so any speculation that the Chester players have given up is just that.

Oh and it’s a derby game.

Having said that, the 2000+ of the SWA heading down the Deva Stadium/Bumpers Lane/Moss Rose/Sealand Road (delete as appropriate to your age) will be cheering on a better and more in-form group of players, so confidence should be high of achieving victory.

But the final consideration should link slightly to the club message about fan behaviour in the sense that no pleasure should be taken in the inevitable demise of Chester. All my life, Chester have been a local team at at least the fifth tier of football in our country. They have fallen out of the league, lost their ground and fought back, and fans have stuck with them. They are not a team who bring away fans in a minibus, they are not a team who have been bankrolled by a sugar daddy, and they are not a team that play the game in an aggressive Sunday League style.

So forgive me if I am not tub thumping and seeking Cestrian blood today. Hopefully we get a win but I would much prefer one of the ‘plastic’ teams to be languishing at the foot of the National League at teatime today.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Chester (A)
07 April, 2018 09:45
Will it go on. Heavy persistent rain here in bebington and forecast for the day. 0-4 all day long, or p-p. We will have to wait and see. Just don’t want to get too excited just yet. So much on this and not just for us.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 09:49
Yes I agree to a point,but from our point of view we need the win so a gentle 0-2 win for the Rovers will be fine without rubbing their noses in it and hope other results that help Chester quest go their way without those results hindering us in anyway.

Not sure what team's around Chester's position are playing each other today of course if one of those team's hinder any team a the top end by winning just do and sod Chester.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 09:54
The weather is reminiscent of last season's Tuesday evening game; let's hope that's a good omen for what was a memorable match last time around. I've yet to see us win away this season, so today's the day! I agree with Kenny and will take no pleasure if Chester go down; Monday morning will be uncomfortable for me as I work in Chester with some Chester supporters and a Chester supporting boss.
Going for a 2-0 victory with us taking some time to breakdown Chester's will.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 15:48
yesss 1 up get in cookie

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 16:01
It was a Fri on TV phil

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 16:23
2 up yesss

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 17:02
well done rovers

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 17:19
That will do nicely only 2pts behind Sutton ,must keep going now ,no slip ups

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 17:20
with the exception of aldershots last minute winner, the other results worked in our favour today. macc drew, fylde turned it around to beat Sutton, eastleigh equalize at the death vs wrexham and borehamwood lost.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 17:58
Quote:
Phil65

Eh up Nostradamus! Hope you had a bet on.

Thanks for the ticket matey

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:14
Must be getting a little boring for the travelling SWA these days, Cook then Norwood

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:15
[email]

[/email]
Quote:
Loyden1
It was a Fri on TV phil
Yes, you're right Loyden. My son smugly pointed out I was wrong too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 18:18 by Phil65.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:21
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
Phil65

No problem Yiggsy, happy to be of help. I did manage to pass on your ticket outside the ground to a respectable looking Chester supporter; his wife was also looking for a ticket, but if he had any sense he'd have left her outside and gone it alone!

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:23
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
Phil65

No problem Yiggsy, happy to be of help. I did manage to pass on your ticket outside the ground to a respectable looking Chester supporter; his wife was also looking for a ticket, but if he had any sense he'd have left her outside and gone it alone!

Or give her the ticket and go the pub!

pc1968
pc1968 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:47
A deserved 3 points
Hit the bar hit the post plus 2 well taken goals
Great to see Norwood taking it round the keeper maybe he will stick to that !
Adam Buxton did well
A better performance from Ben Tollitt

Sorry for Chester
We all know what relegation feels like
I thought their no 7 Mahon and no 16 vose did ok

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:51
Good result.Pitch was remarkably good after all the rain.
Well done to the groundsmen.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 19:32
Quote:
Tranmere69
Good result.Pitch was remarkably good after all the rain.
Well done to the groundsmen.

+1

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 19:51
Game on due to the hard work of many Chester helpers,Chester ground staff and Tranmere ground staff who also provided man power and equipment

WEll DONE TO All.

Big Mac great game, solid at back. Chester gave it go, but we were too strong alround.

Man of the match Jeff Hughes controlled the middle of the park, tricky, great passing and should have been on the score sheet. Well done Rovers. Sorry to see Jester down.

Keep the Faith

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 20:25
A great result and two points taken out of Macclesfield, although any chance of finishing top still remains very slim, but it still exists and without Blissett, they maybe, just maybe could start to falter.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 21:04
Macc at home Boreham Wood Tuesday not easy....hope they slip up

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 21:14
A decent performance which got a result.

I do worry about our midfield two and who MM perms between Norburn, Hughes, Harris, Traore and Wallace. Feel we didn't dominate that area recently whereas we did at this point last season and injuries robbed us of choice in the play-off final.

Who is missing from last season's run-in squad? Lee Vaughan and Cole Stockton, and a few subs who were barely used.

This year we still have Wallace, Monthe, Ginnelly, Traore, Ben Tollitt, Kirby, Eddie Clark (if he manages to get over his illnesses and/or injuries although I also saw him at Dagenham getting his kit bag off the coach and wished him all the best so no idea what is going on there).

We have better resources (so far) for a play-off final but aren't being the swashbuckling team of last year.

Please, please and pretty please we manage it this year.

p.s. did anyone else notice that we probably witnessed the two heavyiest captains in the country shaking hands today... Steve and Ryan Astles would have broken any scale... is this a record?

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 21:37
Three points against a poor side. Sorry to see Chester go down. Still worry about us doing well against the better sides in the play-offs unless Wallace and Tollit can get back to full fitness and give us what we missed at Wembley last year. While it's true that all dropped points count, I still feel that losing at home to Macclesfeld was not only losing a six-pointer, but really gave them belief and confirmed our problems on the big occasions.

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:38
[quote HardlyYardley]Three points against a poor side. Sorry to see Chester go down. Still worry about us doing well against the better sides in the play-offs unless Wallace and Tollit can get back to full fitness and give us what we missed at Wembley last year. While it's true that all dropped points count, I still feel that losing at home to Macclesfeld was not only losing a six-pointer, but really gave them belief and confirmed our problems on the big occasions.[/quote

I love your positivity..😩😩

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:58
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Three points against a poor side. Sorry to see Chester go down. Still worry about us doing well against the better sides in the play-offs unless Wallace and Tollit can get back to full fitness and give us what we missed at Wembley last year. While it's true that all dropped points count, I still feel that losing at home to Macclesfeld was not only losing a six-pointer, but really gave them belief and confirmed our problems on the big occasions.

Oh yea of little faith.....

Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 23:15
Macc away to bhamwood on Tuesday then home to in form orient on Saturday.. .keep the faith

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 23:27
I contemplated penning my thoughts on today's game, but it wouldn't have been 100% positive so I had second thoughts.
I have some trepidation, it's 1984, the Inner Party persecutes our individualism and our thoughtcrimes.
Sweet dreams, but be careful you don't talk in your sleep and reveal your inner thoughts.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 23:43
Quote:
Phil65
I contemplated penning my thoughts on today's game, but it wouldn't have been 100% positive so I had second thoughts.
I have some trepidation, it's 1984, the Inner Party persecutes our individualism and our thoughtcrimes.
Sweet dreams, but be careful you don't talk in your sleep and reveal your inner thoughts.

Irony

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 23:45
Quote:
Phil65

Deep stuff Phil

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 23:47
Just back from cheste hic hic Phil are u sober

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 00:06
Some relatively gentle comments there chaps. The voice of sobriety Loyden(apart from the odd Guinness). Irony leaning, but not listing like a ship on her beam ends,towards it's humorous definition.
I have to admit I am also leaning towards Yiggsy's earlier statement about our midfield....that's as much as I'm saying.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 08:09
Without Harris our midfield lacks a ball winner and better sides will expose its limitations

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 10:12
Yes agree next season we need an overhaul of midfield ,goals at last not a problem always worried about defence .sorry to see Chester go it’s bad enough in the NL without dropping further down ,but they have come back before .this time next week we will have a bit more idea we’re we stand .8in the mix one has to go it’s who blinks first .Dover ,Aldershot are potential pit falls Halifax won’t be easy ,they have hit form at this moment ,it’s that time again guys, have we the bottle for it .? we need a one game playoff at home .exciting 3final weeks coming up

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 11:42
I must qualify this by stating that I wasn’t there yesterday but it rely on the the radio that midfield was a bit of an issue.

I am not sure about Norburn to be perfectly honest and I think Harris or Wallace are a better option. I know he gives us the creativity but Hughes is capable of picking a pass out so we need a midfielder who controls things more.

It is a tricky situation because there are so many options but I would love to see Wallace back in the team if he can stand the pace.

MESSAGES->author

08 April, 2018 12:24
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Yes agree next season we need an overhaul of midfield ,goals at last not a problem always worried about defence .sorry to see Chester go it’s bad enough in the NL without dropping further down ,but they have come back before .this time next week we will have a bit more idea we’re we stand .8in the mix one has to go it’s who blinks first .Dover ,Aldershot are potential pit falls Halifax won’t be easy ,they have hit form at this moment ,it’s that time again guys, have we the bottle for it .? we need a one game playoff at home .exciting 3final weeks coming up

Solihull are no mugs at the moment fifty, mark yates seems to be doing well there and giving them a chance of surviving the drop, I don't think we will see a 9-0 this time around and think they will prove stiff opposition at Prenton.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 13:07
Yes, critics of my post are undoubtedly right. There's nothing to worry about. We can do without Wallace and Tollitt being fully fit -last year at Wembley was a one -off blip. The result at home against Macclesfeld was another one-off blip. The losses against other top teams were also one-off blips. It's a nailed-on certainty that Macclesfield will have lost their confidence after beating us at PP -it just seems to be a delayed effect. We're bound to go up. No doubt at all. And to suggest anything else is sheer pessism. Sorry, everyone, I forgot myself.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 13:08
Norburn got a9/10 man of match in chester chronicle.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 13:25
Quote:
Loyden1
Norburn got a9/10 man of match in chester chronicle.

Relying on any information from a Chester source related to football, in the current climate, is treading on thin ice to say the least.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 15:12
Correct Phil I could pick 3or4 mom b4 ollie

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

09 April, 2018 11:13
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Yes, critics of my post are undoubtedly right. There's nothing to worry about. We can do without Wallace and Tollitt being fully fit -last year at Wembley was a one -off blip. The result at home against Macclesfeld was another one-off blip. The losses against other top teams were also one-off blips. It's a nailed-on certainty that Macclesfield will have lost their confidence after beating us at PP -it just seems to be a delayed effect. We're bound to go up. No doubt at all. And to suggest anything else is sheer pessism. Sorry, everyone, I forgot myself.
Funny Hardly...

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 17:41
754 there last nite and I think the winner was scored by that little lad who came on as sub against us

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 18:24
Quote:
Loyden1
754 there last nite and I think the winner was scored by that little lad who came on as sub against us
Yes and some are saying it's possibly the best goal they've ever seen at the Deva.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 19:54
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Loyden1
Yes and some are saying it's possibly the best goal they've ever seen at the Deva.

Little lad with pace who can score a great goal-now where have I seen that before this season..........sad smiley

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 20:27
As little as him hoots doubt it mate

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

12 April, 2018 20:42
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Loyden1

Little lad with pace who can score a great goal-now where have I seen that before this season..........sad smiley

Nathan Brown undoubtedly sees Diddy Durrell as someone to look up to.... literally!

MESSAGES->author

13 April, 2018 13:26
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Loyden1

Nathan Brown undoubtedly sees Diddy Durrell as someone to look up to.... literally!

lol, ive just watched his goal vs Bromley on you tube, bloody hell, he is tiny. even smaller than the evenings attendance at the Deva. it was a great goal he scored and not too dissimilar from those wonder goals that Dale Jennings used to score for us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 13:35 by hong kong rover.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 April, 2018 20:59
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Loyden1

lol, ive just watched his goal vs Bromley on you tube, bloody hell, he is tiny. even smaller than the evenings attendance at the Deva. it was a great goal he scored and not too dissimilar from those wonder goals that Dale Jennings used to score for us.

One of the official photos of our game at Chester shows Brown being squashed literally between I think Buxton and Harris both of whom seemed to have an arm on him. He's tiny but what a great goal against Bromley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net