football
Latest News:

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Pessimism !!!
06 April, 2018 18:28
50 is pessimistic very often and regularly gets a kicking for it.
Has anyone read Ryan Ferguson's latest offering on Planet Prentonia?
If you haven't,then as usual from Ryan, you'll find a well written piece spelling out why 50,and others are the way they are.
We all know that following Rovers is often very hard and disappoinments are regular.
Younger fans,in particular, will learn a lot from it.

As for tomorrow a 0-4 win. SWA

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Pessimism !!!
06 April, 2018 18:57
Look forward to reading that Tranmere69 what is the Link please ,thank you

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 18:59
Just go to Planet Prentonia web site.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 19:25
Wow! Need a deep breath after reading that! Depressing, but also a reminder of why I follow Rovers as I attended five out of seven of the euphoric games listed. I want my son to experience similar euphoria to ensure it's ingrained in his heart and mind to follow Rovers and hopefully pass on the bug to his own children (he was at the Aldershot euphoric away leg last season, so has had a taster of why his old man is hooked). They say you shouldn't have a favourite child, but since the other two have tasted and rejected the fare at PP, forget what they say!
I prefer to use the word realism than pessimism; the fact is, there will be more heartache and feelings of desolation, but this makes the rare successes all the sweeter.
Like our successes, we're a rare breed, not following the two "big boys" over the water, but rare means we have more value, have a uniqueness, have depth of character and have a special undefined quality that our mass produced "cousins" lack.
Let the realists be euphoric and let them drown in self-pity; the emotional flux shows genuine investment, even if it's hard to admit the deep-rooted desire for success and the need to be openly proud for fear of ridicule.
I guess we are what we are; don't be intimidated by the red and blue clones. Be proud to be different, be proud to be unique, be proud to follow the boys in white!

And the drinking's only about to start now!

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 19:33
One man's pessimism is another's realism.
I have supported Rovers since 1949 and except for the decade around the King period reality has been disappointment on the big occasions.
That is not a complaint for supporting Tranmere is bitter sweet.I do not mind the heady and often misplaced optimism of some posters but what is irritating is the way some in that group categorise those that are more circumspect as inferior or less passionate supporters.Those like 50 surely pass one of the real tests of a supporter,namely that you stay loyal to a club even when you expect disappointment

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 21:22
Here is the link:

[planetprentonia.com]

To quote my old dad, who has been a supporter for over 75 years 'spporting Tranmere there have always been more tears than cheers'

Fiftyyearsarover

06 April, 2018 21:45
Well said Devon ,I started going to Tranmere in 1949 and continued till mid seventies but dipped out a lot till 1988 as I went continental truck driving but still went when I could and some how no matter where I was I nearly always got the football scores sat in my truck and wrote the scores down be it in France. Germany etc 1988 just done U.K. work and rejoined full time watching .the Prentonian article is brilliant sums up following rovers perfectly .been to all the games mentioned and suffered as the others did and still do I know with a few others considered the voice of doom .but when you read the article and experienced most of it your programmed to accept the failures that came and still do befall us it’s not negativity it’s realism .i can usually predict a bad result coming because as ever if we need the points to progress we fail .always have and so it continues .the other side of the coin those who predict 4/5 nil wins against the weaker teams and we get a 2-1 win or lose . but that’s fine I put them in the eternal optimist slot .all my family young and old are all Reds and I am constantly mocked .but I care not though I forecast doom and gloom now and then and will continue to do so if it’s warranted I am a full member of the super white army and always will be .come on the whites ,white till I die (at that point I will probably be off white)😄

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 22:12
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Well said Devon ,I started going to Tranmere in 1949 and continued till mid seventies but dipped out a lot till 1988 as I went continental truck driving but still went when I could and some how no matter where I was I nearly always got the football scores sat in my truck and wrote the scores down be it in France. Germany etc 1988 just done U.K. work and rejoined full time watching .the Prentonian article is brilliant sums up following rovers perfectly .been to all the games mentioned and suffered as the others did and still do I know with a few others considered the voice of doom .but when you read the article and experienced most of it your programmed to accept the failures that came and still do befall us it’s not negativity it’s realism .i can usually predict a bad result coming because as ever if we need the points to progress we fail .always have and so it continues .the other side of the coin those who predict 4/5 nil wins against the weaker teams and we get a 2-1 win or lose . but that’s fine I put them in the eternal optimist slot .all my family young and old are all Reds and I am constantly mocked .but I care not though I forecast doom and gloom now and then and will continue to do so if it’s warranted I am a full member of the super white army and always will be .come on the whites ,white till I die (at that point I will probably be off white)😄
I can say that I appreciate your comments and I would never ever question your commitment to the SWA. I think you comments are a valuable kind of therapy to the rest of us, you post the doom and gloom posts so that we can (perhaps delude ourselves) with the positive. Like my dad you have suffered more disappointments than any one should ever be asked to endure....but like all of us the love for the club keeps us all coming back....one day I know the Deadly Submarine will break water and repay the faith.

Fiftyyearsarover

07 April, 2018 07:47
Thanks Cybertron and others who commented how they now understand the gloom brigade .its a shame the younger and young supporters have only had mostly bad times but with some serious backer and THE manager who knows who .things could change .look at Accrington Stanley butt of jokes for years ,now hopefully heading for League one with John Coleman but why there is hope is 3fold .the owners and the support .the SWA are really amazing better supported than many in higher League it’s great to see them at Dover. Aldershot were ever .then you get the lads who live 200/300 miles away coming to home games ,then you have the champion pie eater HKR coming from Hong Kong to Wembley and it’s great to see the women and young kids who you can tell are SWA for ever .if the support is like it is in these not so good times all will be well and thank god for MP and his good wife .sorry guys I forgot I was Dr gloom did I really post a positive post .it must have been my ghost writer 👻 2-0 win today 2000 SWA I have missed most of the season due to my new knee acting up .but will be back in the main stand next season .so when you see people throwing themselves over walls you know I am back in situ .enjoy your day at Chester

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 07:59
The underlying theme to the article is that all too often we under perform.It is a paradox that whilst accumulated experience puts me in the expect to be disappointed camp I always believe that we should do better.
That is particularly true since we lost league status.Relative income does not quarentee success but it sure as hell warrants having high expectations. It is against this background that I look at the club and find my self asking has the performance of management come close to matching reasonable expectation. Promotion this year would answer that question. In the absence of such an outcome it would be difficult to argue that any real progress had been made

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 08:26
Some great posts by the older generation on this thread and having followed TRFC through thick and thin since the early 60s ( I think I can class myself as an older supporter) I whole heartedly agree with the comments aired. Working in Indonesia at present I struggle, swear and curse at not being able to get commentary or normally the last 15 mins!Find out we are losing, playing badly and I wonder why I have bothered. I bothered because TRFC is in my blood and I would not have it any other way. Oh, perhaps a promotion would be nice!!!

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 08:48
Quote:
DevonExile
The underlying theme to the article is that all too often we under perform.It is a paradox that whilst accumulated experience puts me in the expect to be disappointed camp I always believe that we should do better.
That is particularly true since we lost league status.Relative income does not quarentee success but it sure as hell warrants having high expectations. It is against this background that I look at the club and find my self asking has the performance of management come close to matching reasonable expectation. Promotion this year would answer that question. In the absence of such an outcome it would be difficult to argue that any real progress had been made
Agreed Devon in respect of on field performance - and surely there will be a very strong case for management changes if we don't go up but in terms of off field performance however massive progress has been made with the club transformed... the latest Accounts which I comment on on another thread show how well the Club has been set up financially now.

Fiftyyearsarover

07 April, 2018 11:01
As I said add ,we need THE manager ,one who fits the club and can push us on ,nothing to negative about MM but some of his decisions have been strange to say the least .i still think and always will he set us up badly at Wembley and we lost a game we should really have won ,but that’s come and gone ,but if we don’t go up this season he should go .as said thank god for MP ,look at poor old Chester and a not safe Hartlepools .that is what MP is brilliant at ,saving lost causes he made a very good living doing it and I have every faith in him to sooner or later move us upwards

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 11:18
the planetprentonia article was a lengthy, interesting and doleful read., we sure are due a promotion, that's for sure.

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 11:26
Quote:
sparky100
Some great posts by the older generation on this thread and having followed TRFC through thick and thin since the early 60s ( I think I can class myself as an older supporter) I whole heartedly agree with the comments aired. Working in Indonesia at present I struggle, swear and curse at not being able to get commentary or normally the last 15 mins!Find out we are losing, playing badly and I wonder why I have bothered. I bothered because TRFC is in my blood and I would not have it any other way. Oh, perhaps a promotion would be nice!!!

Hi Sparky, whereabouts in Indonesia are u working and how long are u out there for? Can u not get commentary via mixlr?

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 11:49
Further pessimism n bad news,, Macc are 1 up at Ebbsfleet in the early kick off, Blissett scores again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 11:59 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 12:37
Macc 2 up , more doom n gloom.

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 12:51
Ebbsfleet pull a goal back and Macc are down to 10 men. Blissett sent off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 12:52 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 13:06
2-2 now.. final result 2-2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 13:13 by hong kong rover.

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 13:22
Quote:
hong kong rover

Keep the faith HKR.. Win our 3 games in hand and it’s only 6pts..They will lose Blissett for 3 games ..Need to beat Chester today ..This race has not been run ..⚽️⚽️

MESSAGES->author

07 April, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Johnos Hackers
Quote:
hong kong rover

Keep the faith HKR.. Win our 3 games in hand and it’s only 6pts..They will lose Blissett for 3 games ..Need to beat Chester today ..This race has not been run ..⚽️⚽️

I agree mate keep the faith

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 17:34
I'm in a place called Ketapang, West Kalimanatan, Indonesian Borneo HKR. Working at a Orangutan rescue and rehabilitation sanctuary. No mobile phone coverage and you have to piggy back off a locals internet which breaks up repeatedly. No coverage of the game today and just found out the result.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:29
Quote:
hong kong rover

I was in the bar at Chester FC when Ebbsfleet equalised-a huge roar ensued.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 18:56
What could be the difference for Mac after today is not the draw but Blissett being shown a straight red for violent conduct, that’s 4 games which is the rest of their season.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:01
I don't see the point of supporting a team when you believe they won't succeed. May as well change allegiance to a successful money-backed team and stop whingeing.

Silko
Silko (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:33
Quote:
Johnos Hackers
Quote:
hong kong rover

no way Blissett will be banned

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:40
You've totally missed the point !We are all Rovers fans and will continue to be fans.
We love the club despite all the frustrations.It's our club win or lose and 99.9% of us will remain true .Others will seek glory elsewhere.
Tranmere fans have never,and will never,seek glory.Just the occasional championship/ promotion will keep us happy.
Read the piece again and imagine how you'll feel in 20,30,40 years time.
Pretty similar to those who've followed the club for a lifetime I would guess. SWA

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 22:41
Quote:
Silko
Quote:
Johnos Hackers
Quote:
hong kong rover

Err. It'a red card?

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 06:31
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Silko
Quote:
Johnos Hackers
Quote:
hong kong rover

Err. It'a red card?

Yeh. I didn't think this was negotiable. Unless you've seen the footage and feel Macc have a good case for appeal.

I'd be surprised if Blissett has such an influential position in the football hierarchy that he is able to instigate corruption.

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 07:34
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
Yeh. I didn't think this was negotiable. Unless you've seen the footage and feel Macc have a good case for appeal.
I'd be surprised if Blissett has such an influential position in the football hierarchy that he is able to instigate corruption.

I've seen the footage and the decision was a complete joke. It looked like an accidental collision on first, second, third and fourth viewings.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 10:40
If it is that bad Macc should appeal but, by doing so, run the risk of a longer ban if rejected.

How many times over the years have clubs appealed red cards on a apparently sound basis for it to be thrown out.

Currently, if not appealed, would in be a one or three match ban?

MESSAGES->author

08 April, 2018 11:26
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
hong kong rover

I was in the bar at Chester FC when Ebbsfleet equalised-a huge roar ensued.

nice one Hoots

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 11:47
They have to appeal that one, I know if it was Nors or Cookie I’d be up in arms.

MESSAGES->author

08 April, 2018 11:56
Quote:
sparky100
I'm in a place called Ketapang, West Kalimanatan, Indonesian Borneo HKR. Working at a Orangutan rescue and rehabilitation sanctuary. No mobile phone coverage and you have to piggy back off a locals internet which breaks up repeatedly. No coverage of the game today and just found out the result.

Nice one Sparky, respect and kudos to you. That must be quite a fulfilling experience to be doing something like that. Ive just been on the internet to read all about this Ketapang Orangutan Project. Are you out there on the 12 day or 3 week project?

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 16:50
Been out here for 3 months HKR, one month to go. That's why I didn't renew my season ticket. The humidity has been a crippler and the facilities as basic as they come. Just about got used to my tiny none air conditioned bedroom being festooned in lizards and the biggest ants you have ever seen! Have to shake the resident frogs out of the wellies each morning!! Fantastic experience though but can't wait for a cup of proper tea.

Johnos Hackers
Johnos Hackers (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 20:21
Quote:
sparky100
Been out here for 3 months HKR, one month to go. That's why I didn't renew my season ticket. The humidity has been a crippler and the facilities as basic as they come. Just about got used to my tiny none air conditioned bedroom being festooned in lizards and the biggest ants you have ever seen! Have to shake the resident frogs out of the wellies each morning!! Fantastic experience though but can't wait for a cup of proper tea.

Sounds just like my student digs..back in the day 🤣🤣😂😂

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 20:25 by Johnos Hackers.

Fiftyyearsarover

09 April, 2018 09:32
Respect to you sparky doing a fulfilling job in those conditions .in my trucking days before sleeper cabs we had transport digs so have an idea the conditions you live under .but well done to you .the work and conditions will shape you as a person and you will be a better person for it .a bit profound for me but hey

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 19:37
I think most Tranmere supporters are positive. Positive the team will muck things up near end of season.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 19:48
What is harder to understand is the apparent lack of energy being shown by the team

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 20:16
Quote:
DevonExile
What is harder to understand is the apparent lack of energy being shown by the team

Well guess half time team talk solved that!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 21:43
When is the last time we saw 4 goals from a striker?

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:03
Quote:
TranmereFan

Ronnie Moore scored a number of 4 goal hauls in 1975ish

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:04
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
TranmereFan

That’s 43 years ago!! Wow that’s a long time!

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:05
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
DevonExile

I understand the half time talk was something delivered in a calm voice along the lines of 'Now come along chaps I am sure we can do a little better than the first half, now please go and try your best for the second half'

MESSAGES->author

10 April, 2018 22:19
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
TranmereFan

Muiry scored 4 goals vs Peterborough in the mid 80s in a 7-0 win, and about a decade later Aldo scored 4 times vs Barnsley.

Fiftyyearsarover

10 April, 2018 22:47
A few negative posts here chaps .please remember I am the Mr doom and gloom .find your own niche .jesus you can’t keep anything for yourself these days 😡👍

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 22:55
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
TranmereFan

Muiry scored 4 goals vs Peterborough in the mid 80s in a 7-0 win, and about a decade later Aldo scored 4 times vs Barnsley.

Ah yes, think I went to that 6-1 Barnsley win and Barnsley were moaning as they were the better side and actually had more shots on target than us!

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 23:00
Optimism (runs away from various brick bats)

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 00:08
Quote:
DevonExile

There was far more energy shown throughout than at Chester. Gateshead played well particularly in the first half. They are mid table-nothing to lose. Teams like that are often more dangerous

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 02:35
Yes your right hoots ,another one Halifax coming up on Tuesday got a really good run going on ,lt looked an assured 3pts a while back but will have to play well to win at the shay

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 12:22
Halifax is next Saturday 50.

It’s Aldershot this Saturday then Dover on Tuesday, Halifax on the 21st, Solihull the following Tuesday and the Hartlepool bringing up the rear.

Little note, if they dont get 1 or 2 results coming up then they’ll be doing more than bringing up the rear but sliding out the back window down the ladder again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 13:40 by rossb07.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 April, 2018 12:27
Sorry your right ,I told you I was losing it 🤭 for gods sake where’s my tablets nurse

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 April, 2018 23:37
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
DevonExile

I understand the half time talk was something delivered in a calm voice along the lines of 'Now come along chaps I am sure we can do a little better than the first half, now please go and try your best for the second half'

Wasn't it 'Lesson, ai doon wanna sound engrai, boot git yer aarses ento the proverbial...'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net