football
Latest News:

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Cole Stockton Carlisle Utd
02 April, 2018 19:24
Cole has now been benched at Carlisle having scored one goal in his 9 appearances, since joining from Hearts in January.

He also made 12 League and 3 Cup appearances for Hearts (Mostly as a substitute) and failed to score.

I wonder where he will be next season? (his Carlisle deal also includes next season)

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

Re: Cole Stockton Carlisle Utd
02 April, 2018 20:08
Here on loan after Andy Cook has been transferred to a league club

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

02 April, 2018 20:55
Quote:
coltran
Here on loan after Andy Cook has been transferred to a league club
I sincerely hope not.He had a brief spell of form here towards the end of last season but other than that and a few goals for Morecambe he hasn't done much.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

03 April, 2018 14:50
On the subject of league 2, this weekend sees the bottom 4 playing against each other,

Barnet v FGR

Grimsby v Chesterfield

Gonna be interesting to see which 2 will fall out of the footy league, Grimsby well n truly on the slide.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

03 April, 2018 20:48
The irony is that it could be Forest Green and Grimsby, which means it would be 50% of the teams promoted from the NL in the last 2 years that would suffer relegation.

I'm not saying this is a currently re-occurring trend or it could become a trend but if Tranmere stayed up, the team would need to be well managed to ensure going back to the NL did not happen in the first 2 years, because then it would be a good omen if Tranmere survived the drop after season 2, as it could be indicative of another promotion or at least a solid level of consistency, as I wouldn't expect Tranmere to tread water at that level, not with the added financing, as Tranmere's budget this season could potentially have been more than the one spent on the league 1 relegation season, so I would expect Tranmere to be spending a top 3 budget in league 2 if they go up this season.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author

04 April, 2018 12:22
Quote:
Matt34
The irony is that it could be Forest Green and Grimsby, which means it would be 50% of the teams promoted from the NL in the last 2 years that would suffer relegation.
I'm not saying this is a currently re-occurring trend or it could become a trend but if Tranmere stayed up, the team would need to be well managed to ensure going back to the NL did not happen in the first 2 years, because then it would be a good omen if Tranmere survived the drop after season 2, as it could be indicative of another promotion or at least a solid level of consistency, as I wouldn't expect Tranmere to tread water at that level, not with the added financing, as Tranmere's budget this season could potentially have been more than the one spent on the league 1 relegation season, so I would expect Tranmere to be spending a top 3 budget in league 2 if they go up this season.

Yes I agree Matt, just hope that Tranmere would be able to do well if/when we return to the footy league, but on a negative front if u look at the 6 sides that have been promoted from the NL over the past 3 seasons only Bristol Rovers have done well and to an extent so have Lincoln but the other 4 have struggled, Cheltenham havent exactly set league 2 alight, Barnet have always struggled and look to me that they are going down, Grimsby are in danger of relegation too and FGR are having a difficult first season in the footy league.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 April, 2018 13:05
Could be said that Bristol Rovers and Lincoln are the only clubs out of those with a real fan-base, more than ours if you like so that could also contribute to them rising instead of stagnating/ dropping back down.

After all, FFP comes into effect when you get back into the FL and these small clubs don't stand a chance what with bringing nothing in to allow them to spend.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

04 April, 2018 13:14
Teams like Barnet are always likely to struggle with gates tha are very modest.FGR is also poorly supported and will struggle if the owners subsidy is not increased to make them competitive.
If promoted,like all clubs you need sound management but also good off the field leadership.We are better placed than most to meet the demands of league football,MP is a capable chairman and our support base better than most at this level.
We struggled in the last decade in the league because we were being run on a shoestring budget with an owner that mean well for the club but with no strategic plan.
There is always a challenging transition as only rarely will a promotion squad be ready made for the next step up.Shrewd close season recruitment is a major requirement from the manager. I for one remain unsure whether last summer was a blip or a pointer of MM limitations

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2018 15:05
Big big result for FGR yesterday in the Gloucestershire derby at Cheltenham. Considering that FGRs remaining 4 games are against 2 of their fellow relegation candidates Grimsby n Chesterfield, a west country derby vs Yeovil and a clash with promotion chasing Luton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 15:09 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

15 April, 2018 15:48
See that Ash Taylor scored twice yesterday in Northamptons 3-2 win at Bury, his 2nd goal coming in the 88th min to send Bury down. Northampton in real danger of relegation too and if Taylor stays with them and we go up then we could be seeing him in opposition at Prenton next season in league 2.. Ryan Lowe blaming his Bury players for the relegation.. Would fans think having Taylor playing again for the Rovers be a good thing?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 15:53 by hong kong rover.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 16:53
Far rather have our current central defenders. Old players coming back rarely works

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 16:57
Quote:
DevonExile
Far rather have our current central defenders. Old players coming back rarely works
+1 , more than happy with Sutton and McNulty .

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 17:08
As has been mentioned before, Ash was subject to some pretty bad abuse in his last season (relegation from FL 1) and probably wouldn't want to return?

He was quite highly rated by Aberdeen initial but, subsequently in the final year didn't play a great deal and wasn't offered a new contract joining Northampton where, he has been in a relegation battle all season.

I would have thought equally good defenders if not better will be available next season.

Now if Ihekwe wanted to come back that's a different matter.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 17:23
I see Cole started for Carlisle yesterday, didn't score and was substituted after 59 minutes!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 20:03
There are grounds to suggest a Taylor return would offer risk, but it could also offer reward.

Were Mellon to pursue such an option if it became feasible, then I wouldn't be against him re-signing, but I see it as unlikely at this time.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 20:29
I agree with you Matt. He is still a quality player but how much would he want to commit himself to the club?

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 21:15
Quote:
Matt34
There are grounds to suggest a Taylor return would offer risk, but it could also offer reward.
Were Mellon to pursue such an option if it became feasible, then I wouldn't be against him re-signing, but I see it as unlikely at this time.
But who would be sacrificed for his inclusion ? I think Sutton and McNulty have been solid at the back . No need for him other than for cover .

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

15 April, 2018 22:15
How long can we realistically expect McNulty to play.?He's not Goody playing into his 40's.His build and lack of pace are against him,although in his head he can read the game superbly.
Taylor was good paired with Gibson but that's not going to happen.
I think Liam Hogan or similar might be suitable.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 06:48
Quote:
Tranmere69
How long can we realistically expect McNulty to play.?He's not Goody playing into his 40's.His build and lack of pace are against him,although in his head he can read the game superbly.
Taylor was good paired with Gibson but that's not going to happen.
I think Liam Hogan or similar might be suitable.

Id give him another 12 month contract, he’s quality at this level and could easily cope with a step up too. We need added pace alongside though.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Matt34
But who would be sacrificed for his inclusion ? I think Sutton and McNulty have been solid at the back . No need for him other than for cover .

It would depend on what he offered. I recall he was considered adequate if not spectacular at league 1 level, though more competent in defense than when used in the middle, but then Sutton would have to be seen in the same light, as he has had no game time in leagues like league 1 and the SPL and at currently 31, would he be considered capable of a step up to league 1 at 33, if Tranmere got 2 consecutive promotions?

Tranmere might not be in league 1 right now, but you recruit the best quality within budget, so if Taylor was available, willing and at the right price, arguably he would slot in next to Mcnulty and being 4 years younger than Sutton, he could if he kept fit offer 10-11 years of longevity in the side a la Goodison and if Tranmere could manage 2 consecutive promotions, you get a 33 year old Sutton trying to play in a league he's never played in before, alongside a 29 year old Taylor, who's played over 250 league 1 and SPL games.

It could then be the case McNulty would be considered backup and Taylor would partner someone else who was neither of them.

Look at this kind of thinking another way. there are good players in the squad at NL level, like Jennings Harris, Cole etc, but if Tranmere had been able to sign Banks after his loan spell, would current selections be considered fine and Banks of no relevance but to bench warm?

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 22:07
What is it with some Tranmere Rovers fans always wanting former players back anyway when Taylor signed for Northampton in the summer i'm sure i read that he had signed a three year contract(or at least two)so don't expect him back at PP any time soon.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 23:07
It's not about wanting people back because of past connections, but more recognising possible worth, based on previous understanding of the player in Tranmere colours.

I personally am not clamouring for Ash Taylor to come back anytime soon, but I certainly wouldn't be underwhelmed if it happened in the next 2-3 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net