football
Latest News:

Older blue
Older blue (IP Logged)

IS IT ME
28 March, 2018 10:58
The season started very poorly with slow football little pace etc only rectified when Banks,Motley,Clarke etc played.Saturdays game team reverted to the early season team and played the same way as before.Has the manager not learned anything?.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: IS IT ME
28 March, 2018 11:55
As long as we keep winning, couldn’t care less if it’s fast, slow or anywhere in between ...

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 13:55
The fact that we won is really all that's important. Had we lost with that line-up then there would have been cause for complaint.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 15:00
Yes we won ,but if it had been a better team we played we would not have won it ,it does beg the question as old blue asks ,has MM actually learnt anything and the answer is ,not a lot .still chopping and changing .the likes of Clark not playing ,Saturday was really poor .we need to win every game now but it’s not going to happen ,

pez
pez (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 18:03
Think you should listen to Micky's presser today before writing his ability to manage off.

Clarke has been ill and is now injured and as Micky points out, he only has 5 subs to try and change a game with, one of which is the reserve keeper.

We won on Saturday with a good scoreline and without playing too well.

The results are more important than the performances at this stage of the season.

Fiftyyearsarover

28 March, 2018 18:39
Clark was injured now he is ILL ,yea ok .

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 19:10
No... ILL, then INJURED

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 19:16
Why is that so hard to believe given he's the manager and has updated his status.

Thanks for the update Pez, i did say in another thread that we wouldn't have heard anything due to the situation not changing.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 20:03
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Yes we won ,but if it had been a better team we played we would not have won it ,it does beg the question as old blue asks ,has MM actually learnt anything and the answer is ,not a lot .still chopping and changing .the likes of Clark not playing ,Saturday was really poor .we need to win every game now but it’s not going to happen ,

You can only beat what is in front of you, if it’s and buts where candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas

ElvisTRFC
ElvisTRFC (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 20:14
At the business end of the season, 3 points is all that matters.

"A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second." ~ White Men Can't Jump

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 21:06
Quote:
ElvisTRFC

"A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second." ~ White Men Can't Jump

Elvis... It may be a quotation but can you please delete it? Not good. Thanks.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 21:39
Yes we won on Saturday and a win when playing badly is a bonus. But it was a poor display and for me a prime example of why sometimes it does make sense to change a winning side

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 23:05
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
ElvisTRFC

why not? If the comment was in some way bigoted, then do you not think one the main stars of the film would have objected or even worse pulled out of doing the film because they believed the film might have some racist undertones / undercurrent?

I am sincerely not trying to diss you, but I am not able to make a distinction as to why you think such a quotation is bad in some way.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 01:59
No it's not you!
Conveniently Clarke is now apparently injured after having been ill as MM said in his press conference he has not trained today. He has however clearly been available for selection over the past weeks and not been picked for the bench even.
Personally yes I see this as definitely reverting to type and let's not forget if Rides hadn't been injured during the season I don't expect we would ever have seen Clarke anywhere near the first team. MM clearly prefers a slightly better defensive LB than a LB who is much younger, possibly more prone to defensive mistakes but who is miles better going forward and a genuine threat with his pace. The problem with that is it encourages slow build up play and lots of aimless long balls which means that we will come a cropper against the better sides in the division as we have been doing all season.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 03:28
So Rides is the sole reason we could potentially play slower football?

MM stated in 2 pressers in the last month and a half that Clarke was out ill and now injured, with this i don't get how apparently he's just conveniently made it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/03/2018 03:34 by rossb07.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 11:48
No Rides isn't the only reason of course but picking Rides over Clarke certainly doesn't help us in that regard.
As to convenient what I meant was yesterday was the first time in weeks MM was asked specifically about Clarke and so yes it was "convenient" that Clarke was apparently injured although what he actually said was "he hasn't trained today" not that he has been out for days/ weekend plus he only mentioned he was injured at the very end of a long reply to the question.
Either way he wasn't injured for either of the 2 previous games as MM specifically mentioned only Gumbs and Kirby being injured so yes MM is picking Rides over a fit Clarke...personally I still think there is something strange abut the fact that shortly after the Wigan rumours he suddenly wasn't picked but hey ho it is what it is and it seems pretty certain Clarke won't be appearing again any time soon.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 12:03
If there is a beneficial agreement with Wigan then fine.If it is a falling out between manager and player that would be regrettable particularly for the club

Rovers63
Rovers63 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:42
Clarke was at Dagenham. In training gear, on the pitch, looking well. He's disappeared from the team once Ridehalgh came back from injury. Enough said.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:57
Quote:
Rovers63
Clarke was at Dagenham. In training gear, on the pitch, looking well. He's disappeared from the team once Ridehalgh came back from injury. Enough said.

Good spot mate. That pretty much settles it.

We're very fortunate on this board. Who needs hearsay when you have eye-witness statements.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 19:35
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
ElvisTRFC

why not? If the comment was in some way bigoted, then do you not think one the main stars of the film would have objected or even worse pulled out of doing the film because they believed the film might have some racist undertones / undercurrent?

I am sincerely not trying to diss you, but I am not able to make a distinction as to why you think such a quotation is bad in some way.

It is a prejudicial statement that has nothing to do with Tranmere Rovers.

I do not want to read stereotypical racism when I come to a TRFC forum, wherever the quotation came from. It is irrelevant and ill informed.

Our season turned around when DMH turned up and we have a proud tradition of black players at this club.

I could quote a lot of stuff from Tarantino films which were artistic in context but wouldn't stand the light of day in another context.

Kick it out!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 19:44
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
Quote:
Rovers63

Good spot mate. That pretty much settles it.

We're very fortunate on this board. Who needs hearsay when you have eye-witness statements.

I was at Borehamwood the week after. Didn't see him there.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 19:47
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

I don't think you can conclusively state the comment about the ''better team'' as that would have to be based on them playing to their usual standard whereas we obviously didn't.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 20:35
Well I for one hope that we do not pick the same mid field on Monday or play as badly.Sollihull may be in the relegation zone but I wouldn't bet on us getting away with such an insipid performance for two games in succession

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 22:44
Quote:
DevonExile
If there is a beneficial agreement with Wigan then fine.If it is a falling out between manager and player that would be regrettable particularly for the club

Why does there always have to be a fall out, I actually agree with the decision not to play him. Rideghalgh is better defensively, Clarke was a positive when we struggled for pace and width however we now have Tollit and Ginnely as forward options and whilst he’s good going forwards for a left back he’s not on par with them going forwards, the lad has got potential and possibly Wigan may see him as worth a gamble but he has a lot of development to undergo to become a fixture higher up the league ladder.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 23:54
I like Liam and his delivery is pretty good. I agree Eddie is exciting and can take players on. We are fighting to stay in the play offs; you can't criticise Micky for picking the team least likely to make mistakes.

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

01 April, 2018 14:31
In answer to the question in the title, only you can say definitively if it is you, Mr Blue.

My contribution to the debate concerns the criticism of the team based on performances and results, and the subsequent pessimistic outlook for the play offs.

Using the book Tranmere Rovers A Complete Record, I have looked back to our successful promotion (and near misses) seasons in an attempt to get some context.

1988/89 - Promoted to 3rd tier after finishing 2nd
Last ten results - 6 wins, 4 draws, 1 defeat

1989/90 - Lost in play Off final after finishing 4th
Last ten results (excluding play off/cup games) - 3 wins, 5 draws, 2 defeats

1990/91 - Promoted to 2nd tier after finishing 5th but won play off final
Last ten results (excluding play off/cup games) - 6 wins, 4 defeats

1992/93 - lost in play offs after finishing 4th
Last ten results (excluding play offs) - 7 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat

1993/94 - lost in play offs after finishing 5th
Last ten results (excluding play offs) - 6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses

1994/95 - lost in play offs after finishing 5th
Last ten results (excluding play offs) - 3 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats

What conclusions can we draw from all this data that can apply to us now?

1. Successful promotions have not been achieved by winning all of our last ten games
2. Some of the so called ‘better’ teams in our history have not achieved promotions
3. Defeats at the end of the season will happen.

But the biggest conclusion I can draw is this - in every one of the above seasons, I remember going into the play offs with confidence in our team. Even if we had lost a few key games in the run-in to end chances of automatic promotion (sound familiar?). I don’t remember looking too much at our weaknesses and failings, but instead at what we could do.

So, ‘is it me’?? Yes, it is you and that’s your view that you are perfectly entitled to.

But for me, I will remain confident that we can beat anyone we face if we play well, even if it is in a play off game.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

01 April, 2018 15:34
I remain confident that we can beat anyone when we play well.I am just less confident that we will play well

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

01 April, 2018 17:17
Agree kenny and devon

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 07:44
Quote:
Rovers63
This week's press conference prior too Chester MM was asked about injuries and he said "I think Eddie Clarke is still struggling" - made me wonder why would he say I think? If he is injured surely he would say simply say that as he did with the other 3 players mentioned. Plus still as far as I have seen no mention of what his "injury" is - do any insiders know? I assume it will all come out (or not) after the season has finished when Clarke either goes to Wigan (or not) but it still seems a bit fishy to me.
That said, either way it now looks highly unlikely we will see him in a Tranmere shirt again this season which personally I think is a shame but then if we are promoted MM will have been proved right!

Rovers63
Rovers63 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 12:52
Not seeing Clarke again would be an enormous shame. Ditto Pilling, Gumbs and Duggan.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 13:04
He has certainly been unlucky. Iill then a none match injury of an indeterminate nature with no time frame for a recovery

Fiftyyearsarover

07 April, 2018 13:26
Not unlucky at all ,I would say a deal done with Wigan ,if that’s the case just say so but it’s a poor show not using a player that could be instrumental in getting us promoted ,I don’t buy this injured and now he is unwell nonsense .and not using Pilling Gumbs and Duggan very short sighted .these lads have what it takes if given the chance

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 19:50
All the evidence suggests that there is no deal as it would have been mentioned and it has to be published by the FL as a done deal so someone would know about it.

Don't get why no-one believes the man who calls the shots right now.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 00:31
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Not unlucky at all ,I would say a deal done with Wigan ,if that’s the case just say so but it’s a poor show not using a player that could be instrumental in getting us promoted ,I don’t buy this injured and now he is unwell nonsense .and not using Pilling Gumbs and Duggan very short sighted .these lads have what it takes if given the chance

Gumbs is injured.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 08:06
Quote:
rossb07
All the evidence suggests that there is no deal as it would have been mentioned and it has to be published by the FL as a done deal so someone would know about it.

Perhaps because Clarke disappeared from the match day squad just after the Wigan rumours started circulating, no mention was made for several weeks of him being injured and he was seen at Dagenham etc. with his gear, then he was ill but no comment as to with what, then he was apparently injured and again no comment as to what the injury was or how long he would be out for and then finally this week MM " thinks" he is still injured. All of that leads me and some others on here to think there is something going on, be it a Wigan pre-deal, a falling out over a new contract offer or whatever and some of us think that is a shame since he has a lot to offer.

Rovers63
Rovers63 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 08:56
I think it shows we have a manager with a strong inclination to favour experience over youth/talent and to be risk averse rather than adventurous. I know it's very easy to say this as it's not my job on the line and an interesting question would be whether this inclination is 'natural' or a reaction to the 'size of the club/expectations of fans' factor regularly mentioned in press conferences.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 09:55
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
rossb07

Perhaps because Clarke disappeared from the match day squad just after the Wigan rumours started circulating, no mention was made for several weeks of him being injured and he was seen at Dagenham etc. with his gear, then he was ill but no comment as to with what, then he was apparently injured and again no comment as to what the injury was or how long he would be out for and then finally this week MM " thinks" he is still injured. All of that leads me and some others on here to think there is something going on, be it a Wigan pre-deal, a falling out over a new contract offer or whatever and some of us think that is a shame since he has a lot to offer.

I would agree but MM did state in a presser that he was out and then wasn't asked for around a month until recently. Having kit on and travelling with the squad means little as Adam Dawson before he moved used to travel with the team and warm up before each game also but he was never going to play. Who are we to know that he didn't do something at Dagenham that made him injured?

All that being said, if there was a transfer involved then it'd be a gentleman's agreement more than anything due to nothing being published from either side or the EFL. If he were fit though, he'd be playing on the left wing rather than in the back for me but is he better than Connor?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 09:56
There’s always the chance that the lads were not happy with rides losing his place to a youth player and managed to keep his place, he’s been doing well recently too.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 11:31
Correct me if I am wrong but, I thought Eddie was originally in the team because Rides was injured (Gateshead away I think)?

Once Rides was fit, he initially didn't regain his place because Eddie had generally played so well?

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 12:16
I think you're right Jack.

I'm not for one second saying that Eddie isn't a decent player but for me Rides does just about enough to keep his spot and we should look into trying to re-role Eddie out as a winger in the same mould as Tollit if at all possible. If i had a say that is.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

08 April, 2018 12:57
I think rides is the better player by a mile. At the time when Eddie played we had some class lonies in the like of Banks and DMH. They allowed for him to make a few good runs down the wing, but without them it’s a different story. When he came on at Wrexham he was poor and even when he was playing, he’d make mistakes that could have cost us if it wasn’t for the fact we were scoring 3+ per game. Rides all day long for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net