football
Latest News:

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

TRFC academy closing?
08 March, 2018 11:58
I’ve heard whispers that the club is closing the academy? Has anyone got any info on this?

I know when we lost in the playoffs, the club said we would have to fund it ourselves, as the league payments would have covered it.

The end of an era of true!

Re: TRFC academy closing?
08 March, 2018 12:06
Yep it's closed my mate is a Coach there. They are all devastated by the news.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 13:48
A further smack in the teeth ,no radio coverage either ,how the mighty have fallen ,we really are going down hill

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 15:42
Sad day for our wonderful club...... the beginning of the end if we don’t go up? Or will it be a money saving saviour with all the rules regarding little or no fees for our youngsters in current rules.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 15:44
Sad but perhaps inevitable given where we are.
Sometimes you just have to cut your cloth.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 16:19
Cut your cloth or spend your money wisely, which will go some way to stave off inevitability. With the magic of hindsight, spending money wisely is open to debate.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 16:20
It is down to finance but, the final nail in the coffin so to speak, was the Premier League's threat to remove all funding if their new structure wasn't accepted.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 16:21
It is dreadful news and a harbinger of doom. Just what state are the club's finances in. They must be pretty parlous and no doubt rumours will start circulating again. We may be bringing in extra players to try and grab the best place we can in the League but automatic promotion has probably gone!

I feel very sorry for the staff who are involved with the youth setup . People like Lee Jones and Andy Parkinson have done a great job and their futures at PP must now be in doubt!

Jack of all Trades

08 March, 2018 16:27
I seem to remember it being stated that the loss of 200k on Wirral Live would have funded the academy for the season?

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 17:38
I didn't know we were in the business of developing young players anyway.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 17:44
So no transfer fees coming in unless we sign an exceptional free transfer player and a bigger club signs him up. Sad to learn about this.😤

Fiftyyearsarover

08 March, 2018 17:53
I notice nothing from the club on this .they never seem forthcoming about most things ,it’s only the guys on here who let each other’s know what’s going on it’s a good week for spies .just hope no one puts agent yv into our pies

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 19:02
Sad news when you look at all the players who have come through and the work the likes of Warrick put in over the years but time has moved on and the world of football is massively diffferent.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 20:25
This would be a good time for Chinese venture to pitch in and enable an outlet to have Chinese players to come here and integrate with the youth

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 20:40
Quote:
bheadlad
This would be a good time for Chinese venture to pitch in and enable an outlet to have Chinese players to come here and integrate with the youth

Don't know if it's feasible if the academy has closed but your idea sounds good to me !.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 20:41
So we’re closing our own academy, yet focusing on the Chinese one? Where’s our next Creswell going to come from?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 20:57
Quote:
mini_andy
So we’re closing our own academy, yet focusing on the Chinese one? Where’s our next Creswell going to come from?

Chung Ying takeaway, where else?

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 22:31
I have just read the Echo article about this and I have to say that I am fuming because I believe they have misrepresented the story in a huge way.

Before starting to read it, I knew they were only going to say the stuff about our youth policy from bygone days when it was a conveyor belt of talent. And in those days we didn’t have an academy reaching down to under 10 level. If my memory serves me correctly then wasn’t it just a centre of excellence but predominantly just a youth team (is this right?).

And if the rumours are correct, we seem to be keeping the youth team structure at Solar Campus so players can still come through.

The article fails to highlight the current issue amongst ALL football clubs concerning the viability of an acadmey at any level. Brentford are one of the highest profile clubs to stop having an academy because it’s not worth it for them. And the reason for this? Changes to the rules, allowed by the FA and supported by the premier league, mean that players can be poached from academies with very little compensation being given in return.

So in a nutshell, a lower league club unearth a diamond at Under 10 level but seem him hoovered up by the big boys at 14 with little to show for it. Never mind the fact that he never gets to the first team. This creates a mentality in small clubs about the whole viability of an academy.

The book and documentary ‘No hunger in paradise’ paints such a bleak picture of academies that it’s really no surprise that clubs are reviewing them in the football league. As we are in the National League, it only compounds the problem but just focussing on how much we can afford it is missing the point I thinks

The days of Warwick Rimmer bringing through player after player are long gone, and this is a very sad reality of modern football. The growth of the Premier league and it’s money and the subsequent rise of the academy system, combined with more freedom in player contracts, mean the nurturing of talent to possibly sell on is not the same as it was. Max Power was the last but we don’t know how much he went for, and I bet my bottom dollar it wasn’t at the level of Nolan, Brannan or McGreal.

The biggest regret I have is that children are being stopped from playing footie on good pitches and facilities, with potentially good coaches.

But as a coach of junior football, I have seen loads of brilliant coaches who would progress any child even in the challenging conditions we face every weekend.

Sorry to rant on but I really feel we need more perspective on this before succumbing to an easy criticism of this impending decision.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 23:07
Oh, so some of it is being kept on them? I’ve not read anything yet, but seen a lot of old players tweeting about it closing, so I assumed it meant the whole lot.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 07:07
Exactly right Kenny_Crons. The attached link details how Huddersfield have gone exactly the same way and if a Premier League club is telling you its a waste of time then it clearly is.

[www.htafc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 07:07 by borowhite.

Fiftyyearsarover

09 March, 2018 07:36
Spot on kenny-Crons ,if we are keeping the alliance League team going that’s fine .but it’s another case of the big clubs dropping the small clubs in the mire to make themselves more money to pay obscene amounts of money to players from abroad .i have lost all interest in the premiership

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 08:45
We are a business and what little money we have needs to be invested in the first team and promotion out of this joke of a league.
Tom Davis is most likely the last ex Tranmere academy player that's likely to make us any money if Everton ever sell him, many of our other 'high transfers received' players from the past we actually picked up from the likes of Everton/Liverpool.
I can also see the need to concentrate on the Chinese project, can't wait for the day that we have our first Chinese player in the first team.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 19:25
Davis is also a prime example of how the premier league treat lower league teams as carrion.The decision has far more to do with self seeking rule changes than any demise at Rovers.

10 March, 2018 11:49
The future looks to be scouting 16 to 20 yr olds who have been discarded by the top teams, then developing them for playing at our level?

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 13:28
I have just Ryan Fergusson’s take on the academy closure and I have to say it totally misses the point.

We all know how good the conveyor belt was but it was in a different era so it’s totally inapplicable to the current situation.

The glory days not only allowed us to ‘keep’ good youth players but we were also able to sell them on for good money.

Modern football does not give small clubs the chance to hold onto players at the same time as transfer fees are starting to dry up.

Fergusson ends with a comment that maybe the glory days can return for our youth setup. Sorry Ryan but the rules need to change before this happens.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 13:32
Nicola Palios
@NicolaPalios
Mark will be doing an interview on Tranmere Radio at 2.30 this afternoon to explain what’s happening with the Academy restructuring. Tune in if you want to find out more. #TRFC

Jack of all Trades

10 March, 2018 19:33
The new Premiership ultimatum which, clubs were basically forced to accept or loose all Premiership funding is the reason. Very interesting piece from Mark P.

Evidently both Huddersfield and Brentford (with considerable more money than us at the moment) have down exactly the same with their academy.

Much gets more and wants more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net