football
Latest News:

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

crewe scandal
25 February, 2018 16:27
Before getting into this, I'll just state the obvious that we all have to be mindful of the laws of libel. There's a fairly lengthy article by Daniel Taylor in the Observer sports section today (can't get a link ; grateful if someone can put it up) which gives a summary of the unfolding abuse scandal at Crewe. He has only reported those things which it is legally possible to do but, if what he writes is correct (not to mention other rumours which he doesn't report) then it raises very serious questions about what constitutes a club and, specifically, whether Crewe should be allowed to continue. Whether we like it or not, football clubs are (with a very few exceptions) privately-run businesses. So it may be the case that, for many years, Crewe has been, in effect, a criminal enterprise and, given their dependency on revenue raised from youth development, an enterprise which has been dependent on proceeds which are, at least, tainted by criminal activity. This depends on who knew what and when, which is always difficult to prove. Past and current boards may be complicit in a criminal cover-up. If - and, of course, it's an if - all this is true, then I think the club should be shut down. Obviously, this would be unfair to all those players, staff and supporters who are entirely innocent of any wrongdoing. However, if a class action were brought, it is possible (though not likely as it would set a precedent) that the club could be closed, its assets confiscated and (in an ideal world, which this clearly isn't) handed over to a community trust. I am not suggesting that all this will happen, but,in my opinion,it should.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: crewe scandal
26 February, 2018 00:39
Over the last 20year or more dario gradI name was often brought up and ridiculed about stuff at crewe but never reported I wonder if that might happen now

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 01:13
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Before getting into this, I'll just state the obvious that we all have to be mindful of the laws of libel. There's a fairly lengthy article by Daniel Taylor in the Observer sports section today (can't get a link ; grateful if someone can put it up) which gives a summary of the unfolding abuse scandal at Crewe. He has only reported those things which it is legally possible to do but, if what he writes is correct (not to mention other rumours which he doesn't report) then it raises very serious questions about what constitutes a club and, specifically, whether Crewe should be allowed to continue. Whether we like it or not, football clubs are (with a very few exceptions) privately-run businesses. So it may be the case that, for many years, Crewe has been, in effect, a criminal enterprise and, given their dependency on revenue raised from youth development, an enterprise which has been dependent on proceeds which are, at least, tainted by criminal activity. This depends on who knew what and when, which is always difficult to prove. Past and current boards may be complicit in a criminal cover-up. If - and, of course, it's an if - all this is true, then I think the club should be shut down. Obviously, this would be unfair to all those players, staff and supporters who are entirely innocent of any wrongdoing. However, if a class action were brought, it is possible (though not likely as it would set a precedent) that the club could be closed, its assets confiscated and (in an ideal world, which this clearly isn't) handed over to a community trust. I am not suggesting that all this will happen, but,in my opinion,it should.

I would politely disagree with some of that.

Wrongdoing has been perpetrated, but look at clubs implicated in the past for taking kickbacks on certain signings; if proven to have done so on multiple occasions, could they have been given an automatic relegation or wound up for serious financial activities?

Youth players at Crewe it could be argued were sold for goodly amounts, but some could have been abuse victims. Isn't it a testament if in theory someone is abused but still gets the chance to move to a championship club for £100,000+ in the 1980's, because they developed to be good enough, rather than quitting or asking to leave, because of sustained impropriety towards them.

To sanction against all for the actions of the few isn't viable, otherwise you could say if a tower block had 4 or 5 drug users arrested for possession, then all 100 residents must be users, so they all should be evicted and the tower block demolished, because it's considered a multi-story drug den, or could be if the press were to skew the story how they wanted to.

Maybe past chair-people did cover up actions at Crewe, but killing it off would be like punishing hardworking supporters and innocent staff and players and potentially punishing current day owners for the actions of past owners.

The same could be argued that Germany shouldn't be in the UN or EU and Japan shouldn't be in the UN, because the former in two world wars and the latter in one, tarnished their global reputations and shouldn't be afforded privileges like that and to be honest the predecessors of the perpetrators who ruled after their reigns of impropriety were finished, shouldn't be held accountable for actions they themselves would almost certainly have never endorsed.

What about football itself? Do you deconstruct the entire sport bit by bit because of FIFA and Blatter and stop it being a sport anymore?

The Crewe thing might highlight serious inadequacies but killing off the club would be unfair in the extreme I'm afraid as too many people over a number of years fans and owners and staff would be punished for the actions of the few and that isn't right at all.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 01:14 by Matt34.

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 06:30
Quote:
HardlyYardley

Crewe Fans Forum [www.theguardian.com]

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: crewe scandals
26 February, 2018 09:09
My nephew has a lad who played for the academy at Man Utd. Liverpool and Crewe .he enjoyed it more at Crewe because you where not fighting against top talent as much .he and his mum .dad often went to Gradi’s house with all the youths and families for a barbecue and had nothing but praise for him as indeed did the lad himself .obviously something bad has gone on ,but they can only speak as they find .he packed it all in as it was to much ,school home, snack ,down to say Birmingham .play the match ,home ,homework .bed at all hrs so now he is an apprentice engineer ,found girls ,much happier ,but nothing bad to say about Crewe

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 10:45
Thanks for putting up the link. I think that, as with all relevant institutions (BBC, churches, children's homes etc.) there will be people wih very different experiences. The article (and other ones) suggests that those running the club currently are, at best,indifferent and unco-operative and, at worst, may be actively involved in cover-ups. I know some investigative journalists (not ones covering Crewe) who confirm what seems fairly obvious - that there are some wealthy, well-connected people who have succeeded in covering things up. Obviously, the best thing would be to only punish the guilty without in any way affecting the innocent, but I think it would be interesting (not suggesting it will actually happen) if the club were effectively confiscated and given to a community trust. That way, the club would continue, but with new, community ownership. Closing down the BBC, churches and children's homes would be impossible, of course, but however much we, the supporters, care about them, football clubs are only private businesses and I see this morning that Weinstein's company are filing for bankruptcy. It may be that those who suffered at Crewe (and other clubs) will remain content with receiving apologies and seeing offenders convicted , but, if extensive guilt and cover-up conspiracies are proven, Crewe (and possibly other clubs) may be hit with lawsuits which would bankrupt them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net