football
Latest News:

cobas
cobas (IP Logged)

new goalkeeper
21 February, 2018 13:53
is it time we should be looking for a new goalkeeper, or do we need one. Davies cost us at least 2 goals against Macc, probably 3 at Fylde, the 1 at orient, and a few more too, if we can't keep the ball out of the net, then unless were scoring 3 or 4 then how will we get promotion.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

Re: new goalkeeper
21 February, 2018 15:56
Just watched the lowlights from last nights fiasco, Davies should be saving both those 20 yarders

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 15:57
Wrexham home too

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 16:56
When Taylor was in goal many asked why not Pilling.Many wished for a quick Davies return. Let's not bash him.They were all generally very poor last night.
It was the sadly, usual, big game bottled scenario which has been happening for donkeys' years.
It's why we have only been champions once !
I can't explain it but it happens no matter who play or who manages.
Are the players overcome by these occasions ? Whilst Tranmere fans are vociferous supporters of a winning team they are equally ready to voice strong opinions when the team struggles.
Perhaps something like psychological support or hypnosis might help!!!.I say this partly in jest but who knows!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 17:18
Surely not, Scotty was poor last night and against Fylde too (how much the injury played in that performance I don't know) and Leyton Orient was his first game back.

I honestly believe goal keepers need to "get their eye in" so to speak, a bit like match fitness for outfield players.

All things considered, IMO, Scotty remains well in credit after almost three years as our NR1

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 18:05
Yes

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 21:57
Just watched goals from Macclesfield H game, 2 goals in second half should of been saved, get him on the bench, too slow to react, poor really

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 22:13
We have 3 really good keepers in squad already, so no. Scotty had a nightmare, 1 bad performance wow!

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 22:21
Having watched the highlights, I think Davies is 100% to blame for goal two, but the others are harsh to blame on him

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 09:08
Quote:
TranmereFan
We have 3 really good keepers in squad already, so no. Scotty had a nightmare, 1 bad performance wow!

He’s had a few dodgy moments, I’ve never rated him that highly personally, he’s not very commanding, he needs to dominate his penalty area more. It seems to me that Maccas taking control and he shouldn’t need to if his keepers doing it.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 11:50
If the answer isn't Davies (who has probably had the best record of cleans sheet and goals conceded per game in this division over the last 2 seasons) and Taylor (who was here on a great run) aren't the answer, then I think the question is wrong.

If Davies was as capable and consistent as the keepers we had in League One, he would be a League One keeper. He's better than many we had at that level.

The easy thing to do in any defeat is blame the keeper. Have any of the games he's blamed for us losing been solely down to him under-performing on the day? He didn't really cost us any points on Tuesday - our ability to contain their forwards did. Mistakes at Flyde counted for nothing as we were destined to lose that day regardless of who was in goal. How many points has he actually cost us this season? A lot less than most keepers.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 16:58
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
If the answer isn't Davies (who has probably had the best record of cleans sheet and goals conceded per game in this division over the last 2 seasons) and Taylor (who was here on a great run) aren't the answer, then I think the question is wrong.
If Davies was as capable and consistent as the keepers we had in League One, he would be a League One keeper. He's better than many we had at that level.

The easy thing to do in any defeat is blame the keeper. Have any of the games he's blamed for us losing been solely down to him under-performing on the day? He didn't really cost us any points on Tuesday - our ability to contain their forwards did. Mistakes at Flyde counted for nothing as we were destined to lose that day regardless of who was in goal. How many points has he actually cost us this season? A lot less than most keepers.

Don't worry, Davies will be blaming himself for the second goal; you could see the blood drain from his face and the look of incredulity. He's half-decent at this level, but wouldn't compare and assume he's a better keeper than those who've played a higher level.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 19:03
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark

Don't worry, Davies will be blaming himself for the second goal; you could see the blood drain from his face and the look of incredulity. He's half-decent at this level, but wouldn't compare and assume he's a better keeper than those who've played a higher level.

Yeh the second one went straight through him. And while we were massively dominating the game. The team can't be excused for letting their heads drop afterwards but goal number two definitely costs us 2 or 3 points.

Actually 4 or 6 points considering it was a six - pointer.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 00:11
Quote:
Phil65

If I was Mellon though I would not be worrying too much about replacing him if Tranmere got promoted and I think I'd potentially even be 50/50 if they made league 1 about whether he needed replacing.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 08:12
Other than his time wasting which does my head in, I think he's definitely in the top 5 keepers in this league.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 13:50
Where did the lad Lynch go when he left Chester?

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 14:07
Quote:
prentonpete1
there was a mob after him sorry Pete Llandudno

Shaumbra
Shaumbra (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 10:19
Quote:
prentonpete1

Former Chester FC keeper Alex Lynch has found a new club

[www.chesterchronicle.co.uk]

“Physical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change first”

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 11:29
Chester have just signed 19 year old keeper Will Jaaskelainen on a months loan from Crewe.. He is the son of ex Bolton keeper, Jussi.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 19:02
Good chance hkr of being related. Think mainly signed to sell shirts with all them letters on might help funds

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 11:01
On the subject of goalkeepers, I see that last month Inverness Caly Thistle loaned out ex Rovers keeper Owain Fon Williams to the American side, Indy Eleven, who are based in the city of Indianapolis. The loan period just says for the 2018 season.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 15:10
Never reckoned him HKR ,watched him on tv with CT and he was prone to cock ups ,I still don’t get the point of Loaning Pilling out ,if he is good enough for the Welsh under 21 team he should be good enough for rovers ,looks like he will be leaving at the end of the season ,what’s the point of the academy if no one is getting a chance

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 23:14
That assertion about Pillngs's quality must mean that you then rate the Tranmere first 11, as equal to or worse than the Welsh U-21 side.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 08:53
Not at all ,just saying if he is good enough for international football albeit under 21 level then he should be good for the NL .most under 21 teams would beat Tranmere no problem because they are the best of that age and some go on to be full internationals

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 11:00
In Eric Nixon and Micky Mellon, we have Rovers staff with the insider knowledge and experience to assess whether a goal keeper is ready for the National League or not. With respect, I trust their judgement more than the opinions expressed on this forum. To say that because he plays for Wales U 21s that qualifies him for the National League is misguided. How many U21 keepers to Wales have to choose from? I hope Pilling does make the grade for us as he does seem a good prospect. Also, by bringing in the keeper from Fylde, this has taken up some of the playing budget that could have been used elsewhere. This is a decision that would not have been taken lightly by Rover's management and MP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net