football
Latest News:

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

Norwood one on one.
13 February, 2018 12:55
Love him to bits but please practice your one on one?

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Norwood one on one.
13 February, 2018 13:17
I have moaned forever about his missed chances but he isn’t going to improve so I don’t moan anymore because I realise how much he fetches to the team with his work rate.how about fetching Aldo on as goal scoring coach ,now he was a finisher

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 13:17
+1 .Must have had at least a dozen one on ones .Still a class player who gets into those positions with the understanding with Cookie .Come on TRFC

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 16:03
As much as it's frustrating, I have myself commented in the past on the issue, if he finished a higher percentage of his chances, he'd be long gone and playing at a much higher level. He does more than enough to warrant his place in the team week in week out and still scores some cracking goals. There may be a few better "fox in the box" finishers in this league, but few, if any, would give you the work rate and committment that Nors gives. I wouldn't be without him.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 17:09
I agree with most of the above comments. If he only scored 1 in 5 of the one-to-ones he's missed, he would have at least doubled his goal tally.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 17:35
I was thinking about this as I watched the NL highlights show, the number of 1 on 1s most teams have players who miss them. Norwood is probably more noticeable because he gets them more often. I read a quote (possibly on this board) that on average only 1 in 3 are scored.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 19:08
Some people seem to think every shot he misses with is a one on one

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 19:09
We have had this discussion each season since Nors arrived and if he were a lethal one on one finisher and consequently knocking in 20+ goals a season, he would probably be playing Championship football and not VNL with rovers.

I try not to get to frustrated at his misses, as like many others, believe the overall contribution to the team, most games, is second to none and out weights the above negative statistic.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 20:24
Maybe League 1 trades, CPL is a bit of a push. I like a good Norwood whinge but TBF the last minuter can it be counted as be on one errr maybe, but it was on the angle, definatley a guilt edge chance but hardly an open goal.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 21:41
I'd much rather have Nors in the squad at least getting on the end to be in a potential one on one position than not at all. Cook missed a definite one on one at Orient, one of the only chances that he's been through so cut Nors some slack.

We'd be much worse off without him.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 22:22
Sometimes I think if Norwood has time to think what he's going to do,like in a one to one situation he more than likely go on to miss.

But in the situation of the ball coming to his feet or no time to think when he just hits it first time he can and does score goals.

But the one to one it's head in hand time and one eye open situation,yes he does get one now and again but it's the others when he doesn't that can hurt the result.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 23:52
I'd always play Norwood !

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 10:49
What actually constitutes a miss, I would say an outright miss is missing the target completely but if the goalie saves is it a great save or a miss? Obviously a miss because he didn't score but if it were scotty saving a one on one it would be a great save, sorry if its a bit confusing cheers

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 11:21
er. He has scored same amount as Cook and is joint third in the top scorers for National League. And isn't his scoring rate for Tranmere almost on a par with Aldo's? That is 1 every 2 games?
Sometimes I think people just like to find fault.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 12:41
Quote:
chrisprover
What actually constitutes a miss, I would say an outright miss is missing the target completely but if the goalie saves is it a great save or a miss? Obviously a miss because he didn't score but if it were scotty saving a one on one it would be a great save, sorry if its a bit confusing cheers

+1

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 12:44
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
chrisprover

+1
I backed him at 33/1ew to be top scorer and I still think I will get a pay out

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 21:40
Question is assuming Tranmere got promoted and both he and Cook were still at the club beyond the summer deadline, which one would get sacrificed for at least one new striker, which is a thing Mellon like any manager would do in a heartbeat; add at least one new striker to the setup?

Mellon would be unlikely to accommodate both in a 3 man attack regularly, unless possibly Norwood played in a hole behind the front two, to accommodate some of his wing playing skills in the team, so which of them would Mellon be likely to leave out, assuming he still had the ability to pick both by September of this year if they were still here and Tranmere had hypothetically been promoted, as he would certainly have more money to pay them in league 2 to try and prevent poaching.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 23:45
Tranmere are highest scorers in top six and second lowest in conceding goals. There hasn't been that much wrong in past 14 games or so. Players at this level are not perfect otherwise they would be at Barcelona.

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 18:53
I've always appreciated the amount of running and effort that James puts in during a game. All that's lacking in his game is a little bit of guile in his finishing, a little bit of Aldo if you like. Obviously we are now at National League standard, but I would like to see the occasional side step or chip to beat the goalkeeper rather than running full pelt towards him. Why not call upon the expertise and advice from Aldo that might help develop the Nors striking ability?

Cymro-TRFC
Cymro-TRFC (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 21:07
Don’t get to as many games as I would like. I was there yesterday. I think the same, if he would finish half them chances he’d be playing much higher level! We are creating chances, that’s good! We don’t need the talk about he’s 1 on1s, can’t be a positive thing at all!
Keep going every game Nors! You’ll get us out of this league!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 21:18
[quote jimrod]I've always appreciated the amount of running and effort that James puts in during a game. All that's lacking in his game is a little bit of guile in his finishing, a little bit of Aldo if you like. Obviously we are now at National League standard, but I would like to see the occasional side step or chip to beat the goalkeeper rather than running full pelt towards him. Why not call upon the expertise and advice from Aldo that might help develop the Nors striking ability?[/quote]

[quote jimrod]I've always appreciated the amount of running and effort that James puts in during a game. All that's lacking in his game is a little bit of guile in his finishing, a little bit of Aldo if you like.

???? Aldo was undoubtably one of the best finishers that ever graced a football pitch? 🤔

jimrod
jimrod (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 21:34
All the more reason to consult the best. Why query an honest suggestion. Aldo was one of my heroes.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 21:49
Quote:
jimrod
All the more reason to consult the best. Why query an honest suggestion. Aldo was one of my heroes.

Ah, it reads like you said Aldo couldn’t finish due to lack of guile. Sorry! 😊

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 14:51
Quote:
Matt34
Question is assuming Tranmere got promoted and both he and Cook were still at the club beyond the summer deadline, which one would get sacrificed for at least one new striker, which is a thing Mellon like any manager would do in a heartbeat; add at least one new striker to the setup?

Norwood has the better work-rate and puts pressure on the opposition throughout - missing a one-on-one still forces the defense to worry about how the chance was created in the first place.

Cook is a threat off the bench and enables us to change the game. So I suspect we would start with Norwood and a target man, and Cook would come off the bench most matches.

That was essentially what happened when Stockton came back. Who knows, perhaps Stockton will come back to us next season - stranger things have happened and he's the type of forward we would be looking fr.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 16:05
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
Quote:
Matt34

Norwood has the better work-rate and puts pressure on the opposition throughout - missing a one-on-one still forces the defense to worry about how the chance was created in the first place.

Cook is a threat off the bench and enables us to change the game. So I suspect we would start with Norwood and a target man, and Cook would come off the bench most matches.

That was essentially what happened when Stockton came back. Who knows, perhaps Stockton will come back to us next season - stranger things have happened and he's the type of forward we would be looking fr.

Are you suggesting that Cole is a better player than Cook?
He had a good run towards the end of last season but the reasons we were not promoted are simply-
1 Too many injured players
2 We didn't turn up on the day
3 Cook was not selected.

Do you think the lad will stay?
Alabi coming in was a big hint that he was not MM' s cup of tea at the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net