football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Orient (A)
10 February, 2018 08:51
Apologies for the brevity of this preview but I am currently en route to Tenerife on a fact finding mission to examine continental football techniques.

We are playing well, scoring goals and have competition for places.

If this doesn't give us confidence going into every game, nothing will.

Next stop sun beds, cerveza and satisfaction from a good performance in that London.

Hasta luego, amigos!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 15:26 by mini_andy.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

Orient away
09 February, 2018 23:59
With Orient’s form picking up and particularly a win at Dover they will have their tails up and will want to stuff old foe Tranmere.If we continue to play like we have been doing I think we can get a result and send a message to the rest of the league .we need to win and pick up points to keep the pressure on the rest
In theory we could go top if results go our way but as MM says concentrate on one game at a time and it will happen.
Wonder if Toillet will play a half?

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

Re: Orient away
10 February, 2018 07:29
I reckon Tollitt will play maybe a half as you suggest. I think we'll get a 2-0 win, Andy Cook and James Norwood scoring.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 08:02
I think we’ll win today. Cook and Nors are on fire at the minute.

If results go our way, we could be top by 5pm!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 08:23
I'm going for a sneaky 1-0 with dodgy ref and linesman going our way.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 08:28
I think both Wrexham and Macclesfield will win, so I'm not getting excited about going top (just yet anyway!). We need to get something out of the game to stay in touch. My heart says a narrow win, my head's plumping for a draw. Some exciting/nervy fixtures coming up for all those scrapping it out at the top (as exciting as it gets down here!). It's one of those games today, that if we win, my heart will think we're going to be champions, my head will remind said heart to calm down, there's a long way to go yet! I'll be listening to the game on mixlr for the first time; would have made the trip, but my son has a game himself this morning (it's always a tough decision, watching my beloved..........or watching my son!). To be fair, my son would have sacked off his match to travel to Orient, but she who wears the trousers was having none of it reminding us of commitment to the cause; she doesn't get it! Ah well, enough of my personal waffling, c'mon the Rovers! Oh yeah ......and good luck son this morning!

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 08:48
We need a win to show our rivals that we are really going for the no.1 spot. Come on Rovers.1-3.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Orient (A)
10 February, 2018 09:20
I have gone 2-1 for Rovers in the Prediction League!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 09:31
Hard one to call, Orient looked decent in reverse fixture in torrential rain but, we have improved considerably since then.

I know with RT in goal we haven't lost but, we have conceded 5 goals. Consequently, I am going 2-1 Rovers.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:12
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Hard one to call, Orient looked decent in reverse fixture in torrential rain but, we have improved considerably since then.
I know with RT in goal we haven't lost but, we have conceded 5 goals. Consequently, I am going 2-1 Rovers.
Jack I think Davies will start. MM mentioned he needed a fitness test on his kicking but he will I think want him back if at all possible.
Unaccountably nervous about this one - it's a bit trite to say it's a must win game but we need to keep the pressure on the teams above us and those with games in hand. Going therefore without 100% conviction for a 2-1 win also....

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:25
Very tricky one ,Orient playing well at last poxy weather happy with a draw 1-1 or 2-2

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Jack of all Trades

And concede none in two of those games....

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:40
That Macauley Bonne has been finding the net recently for Orient. If we can prevent him from scoring today then hopefully the Rovers will win.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:54
We are in that difficult situation were three or four consecutive wins would put us back on par but where falling behind Wrexham,Aldershot or Wrexham substantially reduces the prospect of promotion.It will be close this season with a cluster of teamds within a few points of top.
We are good enough if we can maintain form but Orient are better than their position suggests

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 11:35
Tough one, but when the going gets tough, the rest you know. Come on Rovers.

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 11:35
Head over heart says Rovers will earn a hard fought point today. Daggers to beat Shots at home and we climb up to third. Throw in a home win for Dover v Sutton to cancel out one of their games in hand. Wrexham and Macc both at home, I know what my heart says but the head wins...

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 13:30
Quote:
mb53trfc
Tough one, but when the going gets tough, the rest you know. Come on Rovers.

We lose on penalties or in the playoffs?

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 15:15
Macc one down to guiseley. Hopefully they're having a major wobble now

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 15:47
Good grief. Just moved to top of the table. However briefly!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:04
Quote:
853OKG
Good grief. Just moved to top of the table. However briefly!

Yes, just staring at it now just in case it changes!! C'mon Rovers and c'mon Yorkshire!
Spoke too soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 16:18 by Phil65.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:57
Really needed a win today. Teams below us with games in hand. For me a draw was no good. Mac with a game in hand. Take them games as wins and we are 7 points adrift and in 7th. Is that the last play off spot?

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 17:39
Teams have to win their games in hand and keep winning .not sure who is going to win the League ,but playoffs a must ,we have a good a chance of anyone .i think Easter will be crunch time

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 18:32
Not a bad point away in tricky conditions could have won, the next games are crucial but we have a good chance, I dont think we played to our full potential today but I was only listening on mixr cmon Rovers a couple of wins next please.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 18:54
Typical:
Dagenham crumbling against Aldershot!

Jack of all Trades

10 February, 2018 19:34
1-1 not the end of the world but, we had chances to win,it appears from the report their keeper made some good save's.

Well two home games now which, we need to win to kept up the pressure.

The games in hand of the other clubs is nice but, not a guarantee of generating maximum points, as too many teams capable of taken points off each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 19:35 by Jack of all Trades.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 19:48
I doubt that Macclesfield will last the pace or that Sutton will.Wrexham look more of a threat as do Aldershot.If we bear Shots here then we are really in with a chance ang goal difference is working in our favour. Tollit should be full game fit soon and that will make a difference

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 20:34
I think at one point after Sutton scored and Macclesfield were 1-1, Tranmere were technically top of the table.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 20:51
Yep, for about 5 minutes lol.

Not a bad result today. Win at home, draw away will see us there or their abouts at the top.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 21:21
Good effort today Orient played very well today so a good point

omd white
OMD WHITE (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 21:26
Quote:
DevonExile
I doubt that Macclesfield will last the pace or that Sutton will.Wrexham look more of a threat as do Aldershot.If we bear Shots here then we are really in with a chance ang goal difference is working in our favour. Tollit should be full game fit soon and that will make a difference
Think wxam will blow it they have dropped 6 points in there last 3 home games now .

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 21:30
Not a bad point or performance but we should've won it, they were there for the taking. We could've used the ball a lot better at times but, to be fair, the pitch and the wind made it hard for both teams. Good to see Davies back (though a couple of handling errors second half...maybe the pitch played a part) and Tollitt looks lively.

Not too bothered about our rivals today, given who they were playing. Wrexham drawing was a bonus but Macc always looked a home win and, with Daggers making financial cutbacks, not surprising that Aldershot beat them.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 21:44
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Not a bad point or performance but we should've won it, they were there for the taking. We could've used the ball a lot better at times but, to be fair, the pitch and the wind made it hard for both teams. Good to see Davies back (though a couple of handling errors second half...maybe the pitch played a part) and Tollitt looks lively.
Not too bothered about our rivals today, given who they were playing. Wrexham drawing was a bonus but Macc always looked a home win and, with Daggers making financial cutbacks, not surprising that Aldershot beat them.

Orient did the same as Fylde when attacking-low crosses fizzed across near to the goal on a slippy surface.Difficult for a keeper to handle them cleanly. Why do we not try this tactic?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 22:44
Overall it was a good game, with both teams going for a win and playing football, certainly there were enough chances created to win the game, their keeper played well as did the woodwork which kept the score at 1-1. The conditions were fairly horrible and some of our passing game suffered as a result. The last time I saw a patch of ground like that they were pulling a mummified iron age body out of it. It was good to see Davies back but one thing I did notice was that his distribution seemed a lot slower than Taylors.

MESSAGES->author

11 February, 2018 01:19
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Typical:
Dagenham crumbling against Aldershot!

Daggers season is falling apart. Theyve gone right off the rails.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 15:28
Very cold and wet day. Orient were better than I'd expected and it was a good game. They were the better team in the first half, but we got the goal ; we were the better team in the second half but they got the goal. We missed several chances, including, as so often, Norwood making his own chance then missing it. Thought Ridehalgh looked uncomfortable on the right today. Quite a lot of sloppy passing. Earlier in the season, this would have been a good point but, if we're aiming for top place, we need to win games like this - winning at home probably won't be enough.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 10:19
Typical Rovers, miss a load of sitters, concede a shocker, thought Davies looked ropy, few spilled crosses.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 10:49
Quote:
Higgosboots
Typical Rovers, miss a load of sitters, concede a shocker, thought Davies looked ropy, few spilled crosses.

Where were you sat to see all of that?

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 14:19
Spilled a couple of low crosses that skidded off the surface on what was a sodden pitch .I thought he did OK (probably better than Taylor would have done) .I was there on the halfway line with the home fans but only 75ft away from the 740 away fans(make that 741)

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 14:50
Its me again .Looking at the Gallery photos .why is there a FLEET flag behind our supporters ?

Jack of all Trades

12 February, 2018 15:38
Having now watched the highlights and with wonderful luxury of hindsight, how on earth didn't we win that game!!!!

We had enough good chances to win two or three games.

The disappointment of the draw has to balanced with that in the second half, despite their goal, there was only one team likely to win.

What a very poor pitch hopefully against Bromley, on a better pitch, the same dominant attacking football will produce another home win?

MESSAGES->author

12 February, 2018 15:45
Yes, ive just viewed the 7 min highlights of the game on the club website too. We had chances and hit the woodwork a few times aswell. Brilliant work from Tollitt to set up Norwood with a chance right at the end, with the commentator describing Ben as 'Twinkle Toes.'

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 22:27
I think we may have a goalkeeping problem... davies has been at fault for the last 4 he has conceded..... the 3 before he went off at fylde and that rasping drive from holman on saturday

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 00:15
Having watched the highlights, I think a draw was a fair result. Both teams had a lot of chances, but ours were more clear cut.

At least it’s not just Norwood who can’t score a 1 on 1, both he and Cook should have burried their chances.

The goal we conceded was extremely poor. Davies spills the ball so often our defenders should expect it. He has a bizarre ability to spill the ball into the danger area.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 09:03
Quote:
mini_andy
Having watched the highlights, I think a draw was a fair result. Both teams had a lot of chances, but ours were more clear cut.
At least it’s not just Norwood who can’t score a 1 on 1, both he and Cook should have burried their chances.

The goal we conceded was extremely poor. Davies spills the ball so often our defenders should expect it. He has a bizarre ability to spill the ball into the danger area.

The connection between Davies at Fylde and Leyton Orient. Both very wet pitches,both times their full backs allowed to bomb forward and send over fast daisy cutters which are very difficult to hold every time[why don't we do crosses like that?]Our full backs should be stopping this type of ball before it is sent across.

The_Big_E
The_Big_E (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 12:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
mini_andy

The connection between Davies at Fylde and Leyton Orient. Both very wet pitches,both times their full backs allowed to bomb forward and send over fast daisy cutters which are very difficult to hold every time[why don't we do crosses like that?]Our full backs should be stopping this type of ball before it is sent across.

I agree. There are 10 outfield players in front of the keeper who should protect him from the overload down the flank and thus the cross into the box. Davies does however need to deal with these situations better. I know he wouldn't want it but surely the equaliser was an own goal by Davies as the 'shot' was in fact going across the six yard box and was not on target.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 14:00
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
mini_andy

It’s not the nit holding the cross/shot I’m concerned about, it’s where they end up. From a young age, we teach goalkeepers to guide everything out sideways, beit a save or parry. Davies has spilled a few straight back towards the penalty spot recently.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 16:17
Comment on the Orient forum after the game that if we (Tranmere) had a better goalkeeper, we would win the league. Take it with a pinch of salt if you wish, just putting it out there.

Jack of all Trades

13 February, 2018 18:29
A big pinch of salt!!!

Scotty had a nightmare against Fylde and was at fault with the equalising goal however, over the whole season and since signing 3 seasons ago IMO, he can be allowed the odd bad game or mistake which, are usually far apart.

Not many better goalkeepers than Scotty in this league.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 19:12
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
A big pinch of salt!!!
Scotty had a nightmare against Fylde and was at fault with the equalising goal however, over the whole season and since signing 3 seasons ago IMO, he can be allowed the odd bad game or mistake which, are usually far apart.

Not many better goalkeepers than Scotty in this league.

I totally agree about the Fylde three but thought he was unlucky with the Orient equaliser

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 19:34
Scotty is the best keeper we've had for a while.However I do agree that he tends to fumble on occasions.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 20:22
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

The West Stand, How does that affect it.

3 absolute clear cuts, Jennings, Cook and Norwood, Davies split the ball into his own goal and did his best to spill ne towards their player.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 21:46
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

3 absolute clear cuts, Jennings, Cook and Norwood, Davies split the ball into his own goal and did his best to spill ne towards their player.

I just wondered how many a ''load of sitters'' was.3 is not ''a load of'' in my book. The other team is also allowed to have a goalkeeper to try and stop these ''sitters''. Theirs did very well. I disagree with you too re the ''concede a shocker''.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 20:44
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

I just wondered how many a ''load of sitters'' was.3 is not ''a load of'' in my book. The other team is also allowed to have a goalkeeper to try and stop these ''sitters''. Theirs did very well. I disagree with you too re the ''concede a shocker''.

Ok, their does have to come a point when the “team” become more clinical though, despite an oppos goalie. In reality one on one the percentage should weigh heavily against the keeps, There we’re no particular worldie saves, by the by I thought the best goalie I’ve seen for a long time was last weeks at PP, very good indeed, best keeper at this level I’ve seen in a long time.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 16:54
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

Ok, their does have to come a point when the “team” become more clinical though, despite an oppos goalie. In reality one on one the percentage should weigh heavily against the keeps, There we’re no particular worldie saves, by the by I thought the best goalie I’ve seen for a long time was last weeks at PP, very good indeed, best keeper at this level I’ve seen in a long time.

Well I'll agree with you about the Ebbsfleet keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net