football
Latest News:

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Jay Rodrigeuz
09 February, 2018 17:14
I see this has now escalated and he has been formally charged for racial abuse of Gaeten Bong the Brighton player.

I am all for stamping out racial abuse wherever and in whatever form it originates however, certainly in football, it appears that any incident involving a black or coloured footballer is immediately tagged as racial abuse.

The incident in question was highlighted on the MOTD programme and at the time reported to the referee (Martin Atkinson) who took no action other than including the alleged incident in his match report.

I remember thinking at the time that Bong started it all by saying something to Rodrigeuz (I think something about diving in the box?). His response was to make the gesture of holding his nose, I don't believe he actually said anything to Bong.

Assuming Bong heard something, don't forget, it was at the home end and I am quite sure some of the Baggie's Fans would have made their feelings known verbally in no uncertain terms to Bong.

Unfortunately, it is one players word against another and I don't believe there is any evidence available to prove guilt or innocence of either party. Consequently, IMO it should never have been escalated to this stage.

I wonder if we will ever have a case of a white player being abused by a black or coloured player and would that still be racial abuse?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Jay Rodrigeuz
10 February, 2018 21:46
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
I see this has now escalated and he has been formally charged for racial abuse of Gaeten Bong the Brighton player.
I am all for stamping out racial abuse wherever and in whatever form it originates however, certainly in football, it appears that any incident involving a black or coloured footballer is immediately tagged as racial abuse.

The incident in question was highlighted on the MOTD programme and at the time reported to the referee (Martin Atkinson) who took no action other than including the alleged incident in his match report.

I remember thinking at the time that Bong started it all by saying something to Rodrigeuz (I think something about diving in the box?). His response was to make the gesture of holding his nose, I don't believe he actually said anything to Bong.

Assuming Bong heard something, don't forget, it was at the home end and I am quite sure some of the Baggie's Fans would have made their feelings known verbally in no uncertain terms to Bong.

Unfortunately, it is one players word against another and I don't believe there is any evidence available to prove guilt or innocence of either party. Consequently, IMO it should never have been escalated to this stage.

I wonder if we will ever have a case of a white player being abused by a black or coloured player and would that still be racial abuse?

In answer to your last sentence-yes and no[in the climate we live in]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net