football
Latest News:

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

The Run in
06 February, 2018 23:25
I was thinking that we have 14 games left and a fairly tough run in.We have big games against Aldershot,Macclesfield,Bromley Boreham wood,,Dover and I guess Dagenham.
Also games against old foes in orient,Hartlepool and a derby game against Chester.
Including games against form teams like Solihull,Eastleigh and Gateshead that could sneak a point.
It leaves Maidstone and Halifax
I think that if we continue our form and beat Aldershot then we will know for sure about coming first

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: The Run in
07 February, 2018 07:49
I was looking at his last week, between Wrexham, Aldershot and us, we have the best run in on paper. April definatley the easiest we only play Aldershot. Don’t see any of the others as tough gams, Orient are shite, Chester will be relegated by then, Daggers are on a poor run, rest are mid table teams.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 10:40
We're more than capable of winning most of our remaining games. I stress the word "most" because no one can expect to win them all. And let's face it, the way this league is going, winning home games and nicking a few points away should just about be enough.

Having said that, hopefully we can keep the run going so we can send the kids out to play for us in April.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:43
I'm glad we've got a few six pointers, a real chance to gain an advantage over the rest and one we look capable of taking. Of course everyone else has a few six pointers too but, unless someone does emerge from the pack, will probably see all our rivals dropping points.

Don't agree with the earlier comment about Orient, though - they've been doing alright since Edinburgh took over and I reckon Saturday could be one of our toughest aways. No reason we can't win it but I'd take a point now.

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:51
As said on previous thread i am going on Saturday .Returning a favour to a Orient fan who came to us on a Tues night(and on BT Sports) .Keptt away from PP since Sept as form was shite (blaimed myself) .Hope being there doesnt destroy the good form .3-1 SWA

Rovers90
Rovers90 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 15:11
Still hoping for a trip to Chester where victory wins us the league and relegates them to the National North (Sm100)

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:18
Our home form has been incredible since the reverse Orient fixture (9 Wins 1 Draw with 8 consecutive wins) therefore, not unreasonable, to see the seven remaining games giving a maximum points return.

The away form is a different matter. I agree they all look winnable but, we are not in that kind of form. I don't see us losing many, if any but, possibly some draws.

Hope I am wrong and we win all 14 remaining games which, would give us 96 points, one more than last season.

How amazing would that be considering our very poor early season form!!!!!

Mattc777

07 February, 2018 19:18
So... if you take everyone's form over the whole season, Macc will apparently finish top with 83 points if no -one's form changes.

Silly I know. But just a bit of fun. Tranmere therefore require 29 points from their last 14 games = 2.07 points per game.

Home wins and away draws will just about achieve this (with an extra away win in there somewhere). An away win gives us license to lose away somewhere (or draw one at home).

I wonder if anyone knows when we last netted 8 home wins on the trot?

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 20:49
The bookies have Sutton as slender favourites over us. Interestingly, they don't seem to fancy Wrexham (you can get 8-1 on them).

[www.oddschecker.com]

Mattc777

07 February, 2018 20:59
Strange. Must be considering their games in hand, which doesn't account for much considering no-one around us seems to be capable of putting a string of results together.

Wrexham at 8-1 sounds like a bargain. Not that I gamble particularly.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 21:18
Slightly off topic I know but if Sutton are promoted they would have to dig up and replace their 3G pitch for grass (as would Bromley and Maidstone)to conform with FA rules. Failure to do so results in a double relegation!!Sutton's owners are not at all happy as it will cost them a fortune. They also allow the current playing surface to be used by all sorts of community groups which would have to stop and they don't have match's postponed as many 2nd Division teams do when the weather's bad. Interesting times for Sutton, it's management, owners and supporters.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:16
After the televised game last year, they interviewed the owner who said that if Sutton are ever in the play-offs to bet against them as he doesn't want them in the league. That was before the FA Cup money made that a possibility, but I'd still expect to see them fade if promotion was a possibility. They might want their day out at Wembley, but I doubt they would put up too much of a fight.

In terms of bookies odds, they are designed to make profit rather than predict results. At the start of the season we were really low odds, as the bookies wanted people to add us to their 'predict league winners' sweepstakes not knowing it was much, much less likely. At the moment, there are fewer Sutton fans than Tranmere or Wrexham, so cutting their odds won't stop people betting, but if it makes ours look longer then it might solicit more bets from Tranmere and Wrexham fans - so a win for the bookies.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 18:12
It just seems crazy to me, all these teams knew the rules before a ball was kicked.

Consequently, if they were promoted automatically or via the playoffs, they have no option but to install a grass pitch, as currently that is the rule, otherwise demotion to the Conference South will follow.

Unless there are plans to allow them in the FL ? (Rochdale's pitch was a disgrace for the FA Cup Reply)

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 00:21
Frankly why not just deny them the promotion then, instead of a double relegation, as double relegation could be extremely costly, as you've got to organise hasty pay cuts to players, some of whom might not have had any built into contracts, you risk mass transfer requests and if you try to sell any how much can you get, because being in the NLS would seriously dent the fees, plus you're having to cut a it more off the fees again to speed up the exodus of some players still in contract or risk putting off potential buyers and being lumbered with players too expensive for the level you're at.

Their stubbornness would see them stay out, but not incur a potentially ruinous financial situation that might even bankrupt them.

If the situation went that far, would the FA tweak the ruling to prevent further casualties and like many people in the World's social history, amend cause only after effect not before effect.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 07:29
Rovers did very well in last seasons run in. Our final 14 games last term yielded 10 wins 2 draws 2 losses. If we can emulate that this time around it should be enough for the top spot. No lincoln to compete with this time and it is more than likely to be a lowish points tally that will take the top spot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net