football
Latest News:

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Alabi
04 February, 2018 10:07
Just read that Dover have said that he never told them about going to Ebbsfleet he never turned up for training and was then spotted watching an Ebbsfleet game ,the plot thickens

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Re: Alabi
04 February, 2018 10:19
He doesn't have to tell them, if we had accepted an offer from them which hasn't been reported by a club then it's the club who would recall him or give them the news that he'd agreed terms.

Other than the silly social media postings from him in London around the time and not turning up for training (we've all taken a day off work because we can't be bothered), he's done nothing wrong in my book.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Just read that Dover have said that he never told them about going to Ebbsfleet he never turned up for training and was then spotted watching an Ebbsfleet game ,the plot thickens
He was on the bench for them yesterday against Orient (FA Trophy)

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:25
Just a thought, with the way the team has been playing over the last two/three months and the confidence being shown in every game, would he if recalled, do any better?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:39
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Just a thought, with the way the team has been playing over the last two/three months and the confidence being shown in every game, would he if recalled, do any better?
Who would you drop to bring him into the starting line up? In recent games one or other of them usually scores.

Jack of all Trades

04 February, 2018 11:32
I was thinking more of reintroduction into the squad and used from the bench, on current form Nors, Cookie and Connor IMO are automatic choices.

It was just a point for discussion and I forgot, we would have to pay all his wages if he returned.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 11:41
This may not go down with too many people but he's someone that if it's a very close game in the run-in and you needed to play on the counter then that seems to be his sort of game, so he could always be useful if ever recalled in that regard.

Fiftyyearsarover

04 February, 2018 12:54
I remember the Chester away game on tv and Alabi played for them and I thought I like the looks of this guy ,big and strong ,we could do worse ,when MM signed him I thought ,just what we need, I don’t know if he was played out of position ,attitude or what ,I definitely seen something in him l personally suspect his attitude ,missing training is not the way to a managers heart but I don’t think we will see him playing in a rovers shirt any day soon .but hey this is Tranmere Rovers

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 13:00
Sounds like a cheeky £1 bet on him to be top goal-scorer in L2 next year with us. Imagine the odds...

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 13:17
The odds would be better on Wallace playing a full season uninjured than Alabi being top goal scorer in any league!!!!!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 14:04
To be fair to Alibi (because I'm trying to provide one for him) from what I have seen of him and having lengthy conversations with Chester supporters, he's much more suited to quick counter-attacking. Our build-up play in the past has been quite slow, but has improved of late. I might be trying to polish a turd, but failing that I'll sprinkle some glitter on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 14:07 by Phil65.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 14:34
The evidence is that he is not good enough for either Rovers or Dover.Subtract his pens for Chster and his scoring record even there was not that prolific.
He has become emblematic of out confused start to the season,when oddly MM appeared to lack self confidence about his own judgements.
There is a good spirit in the squad at present, personally I would not want to risk that by his coming back

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 20:47
Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 03:59 by ADD.

4ever_Yardley
4ever_Yardley (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 14:48
Cue Thin Lizzy: 'Waiting for an Alabi'.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 17:49
Quote:
4ever_Yardley

nice one, probably right up there as one of my fave Lizzy songs. luv Phil Lynotts thumping bass line in that tune and those dual guitars are something else.. rock n roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 18:20 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 22:18
Alibi Annie by Trifle.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 08:26
Quote:
rossb07
Sounds like a cheeky £1 bet on him to be top goal-scorer in L2 next year with us. Imagine the odds...
You might as well throw your £1 coin in Jesters bucket!

efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 08:29
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
4ever_Yardley

nice one, probably right up there as one of my fave Lizzy songs. luv Phil Lynotts thumping bass line in that tune and those dual guitars are something else.. rock n roll
Im off to see Brian Downey's Alive & Dangerous in London straight after the Orient game.

MESSAGES->author

06 February, 2018 08:35
Quote:
efc0trfc3
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
4ever_Yardley

Im off to see Brian Downey's Alive & Dangerous in London straight after the Orient game.

Nice one. Have a great time. I am well envious. Watching the rovers pick up 3 pts and listening to some quality music. A truly great rock n roll drummer and very much underrated too.. reckon he will be belting those drums with those tunes, johnny, bad reputation and sha-la-la.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 08:46 by hong kong rover.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 10:10
My money is on Cook and Norwood being sent off in the second leg of our play-off semi-final win against Dover (our 9 men protecting a 2 goal lead), and then an Alabi hat-trick at Wembley gaining us promotion.

MESSAGES->author

07 February, 2018 10:21
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
My money is on Cook and Norwood being sent off in the second leg of our play-off semi-final win against Dover (our 9 men protecting a 2 goal lead), and then an Alabi hat-trick at Wembley gaining us promotion.

Lol.. any which way!!! As long as we do it, thats all that matters.

Jack of all Trades

15 February, 2018 09:30
Tribunal to meet today to settle compensation fee.

Chester are hoping for a "Five figure fee"

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 09:46
Quote:
Jack of all Trades

50p.... it,s got a five in it!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 09:48
Quote:
Jack of all Trades

Theyll be lucky!

Hes hardly set the league on fire either at Tranmere or Dover.

Chester are having a laugh arent they?

Send him back if hes so valuable to them?

There is no way Alabi would get in our starting 11 anytime soon, so the prospect of having to pay money out for him is quite sickening.

Be funny if the tribubal agrees with our valuation of £5 and a free Curry Wurst!

Hes a shocking player and should never have been on our radar at all.

Whatever weend up parting with, well never get it back.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 10:19
£100.00 upfront and a 99% sell on would be fair on both parties. It also has 5 figures in it!

Jack of all Trades

15 February, 2018 10:28
Obviously, Chester a looking at a minimum of £10,000.00

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 13:07
I can imagine Mark and Nicola in court, pleading with Chester to have him back lol

Jack of all Trades

15 February, 2018 14:26
What is the phase "Buyer be Aware"

Jack of all Trades

15 February, 2018 14:29
Actually, on second thoughts, do you think we could have them under the trades description act?

Sold as seen goal scorer (alleged)

Fiftyyearsarover

15 February, 2018 16:04
It’s actually buyer beware but your right I think you could get him under the trade description act as he appears to be not fit for purpose,but the magic word here is appears it’s Sod’s law he might go elsewhere and click and make fools of us all ,oh how we will Laugh as he knocks out the playoffs, another Tranmere moment for the young supporters to remember in 20years time ,could be a good quiz question

Chesterblue
Chesterblue (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 12:49
Confirmed at £22,500 plus sell on clause but I think we can forget about the latter.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 12:52
£22.5k 😳

That £22,499 more then he’s worth!!

Someone call the police, theirs been a robbery!!!

Chesterblue
Chesterblue (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 12:56
Fair enough for a 17 goal young striker. The fact that he hasn't performed since his transfer has nothing to do with the tribunal fee

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:06
Quote:
mini_andy
£22.5k 😳
That £22,499 more then he’s worth!!

Someone call the police, theirs been a robbery!!!

Plus 15% sell on, trouble is don't think you can pass on a % sell on loss,

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:10
some one really is having a laugh at us with that figure for an out of contract player

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:28
They have Obviously looked into Chesters financial diffuclties and come up with a financial figure that clears there debts .They raised £25/- from the so called celeb 11 game last night .Stinks of poo .Doesnt put us in a great position finance wise either

pez
pez (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:29
That makes Eddie Clarke seem like a £1m player then judging by that valuation?

Absolute joke that fee.

We'd struggle to offload him to anyone, forget about recovering any of that £22k.

Another load of money spunked up the wall.

Brenk
Brenk (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:43
How about a bit of crowdfunding amongst supporters to ease the burden? I’m poised with fiver in hand!

Have to agree with the criticism of the fee. If it’s for his development then it wasn’t very long lasting or deep.

mogsy73
mogsy73 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:50
Seems about right to me - he did great for Chester last yr, and we were quite pleased to take him off their hands when he was banging them in pre-season - agree with poster above, what he has done for us is irrelevant

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 13:59
Is he worth penalty money .Was it five he scored last season out of a total of 17 goals .Not worth the money ,we have been stung .Chester fans must be laughing there little brainless heads off

pez
pez (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 14:01
Quote:
mogsy73
Seems about right to me - he did great for Chester last yr, and we were quite pleased to take him off their hands when he was banging them in pre-season - agree with poster above, what he has done for us is irrelevant

Thats the big issue here, he has done absolutely nothing for us, certainly not £22.5k worth!

We are stuck with him and tbh, I wouldnt dare risk having involved in any of our remaining games.

Therefor, weve just wasted another £22.5k of potential first team finance that could have reinforced our promotion push.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 14:18
Rather than feeling regretful over the money Alabi has cost us, we need to get better at player recruitment. There's definitely a need to do our homework more before bringing these players in. Every club and manager will have recruited poorly at some point, but the pre-season recruitment in 2017 was woeful and very speculative with only one player (Olly Norburn) being good enough. We shouldn't need to bring players in and have them sitting on the sidelines for development and building fitness, surely that's what the academy is for.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 14:25
Ebbsfleet have just signed Corey Whitley instead of alabi.... great choice

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 14:49
All I can say is OUCH !

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 15:35
Need to sell him for £30k to get money back . . Don't suppose chester will have a bucket collection for us now .they more than happy with the deal

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Chesterblue
Fair enough for a 17 goal young striker. The fact that he hasn't performed since his transfer has nothing to do with the tribunal fee

I'm glad it's made someone's day, on your forum, at the thought that this might cause us some financial problems. My concern for your current predicament has just vanished. Hope your new board is as incompetent as the last when it comes to financial matters.
p.s. Can I have a refund for last night.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 16:57
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Chesterblue

I'm glad it's made someone's day, on your forum, at the thought that this might cause us some financial problems. My concern for your current predicament has just vanished. Hope your new board is as incompetent as the last when it comes to financial matters.

Phil.... Chester are crying out for a competent accountant to balance the books. Given your recent fiasco in wildly underestimating the number of faithful Sutton fans at Barrow I feel your vocation in life has arrived. winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 17:14
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Chesterblue

Phil.... Chester are crying out for a competent accountant to balance the books. Given your recent fiasco in wildly underestimating the number of faithful Sutton fans at Barrow I feel your vocation in life has arrived. winking smiley

Lol! I got my figures from a reliable source, unfortunately not from Norfolk as he only had ten digits on his hands. Latest figures in: Chester's current form = relegation.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 18:12
According to various Twitter messages on the subject of Alabi.

Chester valued him at £70k plus 20% sell on fee?

Now Im no football manager, but even I know Alabi is not worth 10% of that!

Chester really do sound desperate trying to pull deluded stunts like that.

May they languish in this horrible league forever!

Chesterblue
Chesterblue (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 18:14
Sorry but you're talking rubbish. Chester allocated £25k in the budget for the sale of Alabi so talk of £70k is well off the mark.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 18:25
Quote:
Chesterblue
Sorry but you're talking rubbish. Chester allocated £25k in the budget for the sale of Alabi so talk of £70k is well off the mark.

Go check Matt Jones' (Radio City Journo) Twitter feed!

Im not talking rubbish, Im reporting what Ive read on Twitter!
Now jogon back to your own forum while you still have one!

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 21:02
The tribune doesn’t look at what the player has done since he left they look at how much that club have invested in the player and the likely cost of replacement including legal fees etc along with the would be transfer value at the time. Otherwise clubs like ours wouldn’t be rinsed for players like Clarke only for the acquiring team to offload suggesting they are pants and then suddenly for them to reappear post tribune. He is a sought after striker at this level, it’s not Jesters fault we have been unable to settle him or make the most of his attributes.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 21:25
The club have confirmed that the deal is closer to our offer then theirs

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 21:53
Should give him another chance, if not now, then preseason.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 23:05
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Chesterblue

What makes you think Twitter has the right info and not dud info? Is it not possible twitter can have some dud info on it. After all surely people associated with Chester might have a little more knowledge on Chester FC matters sometimes, than media people on social media do.

The media gets things wrong plenty of times. I have not read this twitter listing as you put it, but it could have been wrong. To put absolute store in it and dismiss a Chester fans view of things as rubbish, might be a bit remiss possibly?

Also many Chester fans are probably just ordinary people like we are, so to be honest I never see the need to start rubbishing other peoples fans, unless certain individuals bring it on themselves I:E: people who commit acts of hooliganism; but then I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, because of whichever club they played for.

Personally I agree with the fee. They are a club with around 2,000 fans who sold a 17 goal player, who hasn't fitted in and I bet Chelsea fans were not as sniffy about Shevchenko. They knew their club were paying £30,000,000 for a poacher but he didn't fit in, same as Sutton didn't for £10,000,000, a previous club transfer record, but I would like to think in both instances, the respective managers were not lambasted massively by people using hindsight to justify a managers take on who he was buying months earlier.

Ask yourselves this, if the fee had been paid upfront and not in a tribunal case and you knew a player scoring 17 goals in the same division as Tranmere, was coming for £22,500 before he'd even kicked a ball against a friendly side, how aggrieved would you have been?

Many people on here seem aggrieved because they have hindsight on their side, which is a blurred view of things. You should judge his fee potential on his previous at Chester and not his X months at Tranmere. Chester have been fairly awarded and considering he went to a club with a bigger ground, previous 2nd tier pedigree and more than double the fans, any drop-off in potential value since arrival, could arguably be offset against a small boost in value for going to a higher spec club, so Tranmere could potentially try to flog him for the purchase value anyway.

Jack of all Trades

16 February, 2018 23:12
I think I stated previously, a figure of £17,500.00 was mentioned early on in negotiations but, was rejected by Chester.

Club statement appears to back this up.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 05:48
Quote:
TranmereFan
Problem with that is you could well say the reason we are in the current catch up phase rather than being top of the League was because we gave him a chance at the beginning of this season and didn't start with Cook in the early matches which cost us early points!
We are best IMO to try and offload him early in close season as otherwise he causes 2 problems... one another year's salary and second difficulty bringing in another striker as we theoretically have him still available...

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 07:34
The blow of the 22.5 is bad enough, but he's possibly a £1k a week player meaning we've got an extra 70k still to spend on him before his contract is up.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 07:52
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
TranmereFan
Problem with that is you could well say the reason we are in the current catch up phase rather than being top of the League was because we gave him a chance at the beginning of this season and didn't start with Cook in the early matches which cost us early points!
We are best IMO to try and offload him early in close season as otherwise he causes 2 problems... one another year's salary and second difficulty bringing in another striker as we theoretically have him still available...

I think that's extremely harsh even thinking of blaming Alabi for our current position. We under-performed as a team early in the season. Scapegoat comes to mind.

Jack of all Trades

17 February, 2018 08:04
There are always two sides to every story and hindsight is a wonderful thing but, who knows how he would have performed if playing in todays team and not the early season team.

At the end of the day it is all about confidence, especially joining a new club.

Fiftyyearsarover

17 February, 2018 08:34
It’s done and dusted ,Matt34 is spot on .MM made a mistake on signing him ,it’s not worked out so it will be interesting to see what happens next, we need to move him on now if we don’t want him, and try and get some money back

Johntyponty
Johntyponty (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:35
Don’t buy the lack of confidence arguement - he scored 5 in a half didn’t he pre season?

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 09:17
Quote:
Johntyponty
Don’t buy the lack of confidence arguement - he scored 5 in a half didn’t he pre season?

Against a team 5 steps below us in the pyramid in a pre-season friendly. It means little really

Jack of all Trades

17 February, 2018 09:19
Sorry but With all due respect to Lairds, you cannot compare them with a VL team.

Currently, they must be at least four levels below?

Jack of all Trades

17 February, 2018 09:20
Coltran beat me to it.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Chesterblue

What makes you think Twitter has the right info and not dud info? Is it not possible twitter can have some dud info on it. After all surely people associated with Chester might have a little more knowledge on Chester FC matters sometimes, than media people on social media do.

The media gets things wrong plenty of times. I have not read this twitter listing as you put it, but it could have been wrong. To put absolute store in it and dismiss a Chester fans view of things as rubbish, might be a bit remiss possibly?

Also many Chester fans are probably just ordinary people like we are, so to be honest I never see the need to start rubbishing other peoples fans, unless certain individuals bring it on themselves I:E: people who commit acts of hooliganism; but then I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, because of whichever club they played for.

Personally I agree with the fee. They are a club with around 2,000 fans who sold a 17 goal player, who hasn't fitted in and I bet Chelsea fans were not as sniffy about Shevchenko. They knew their club were paying £30,000,000 for a poacher but he didn't fit in, same as Sutton didn't for £10,000,000, a previous club transfer record, but I would like to think in both instances, the respective managers were not lambasted massively by people using hindsight to justify a managers take on who he was buying months earlier.

Ask yourselves this, if the fee had been paid upfront and not in a tribunal case and you knew a player scoring 17 goals in the same division as Tranmere, was coming for £22,500 before he'd even kicked a ball against a friendly side, how aggrieved would you have been?

Many people on here seem aggrieved because they have hindsight on their side, which is a blurred view of things. You should judge his fee potential on his previous at Chester and not his X months at Tranmere. Chester have been fairly awarded and considering he went to a club with a bigger ground, previous 2nd tier pedigree and more than double the fans, any drop-off in potential value since arrival, could arguably be offset against a small boost in value for going to a higher spec club, so Tranmere could potentially try to flog him for the purchase value anyway.

The source of the Tweet was Matt Jones who has strong links with the club, so I would imagine there was some substance to the information he tweeted?

But it wouldn't be the first time Matt34 rubbished one of my posts on here.

He obviously considers himself more informed than the rest of us?

pez
pez (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 13:13
[twitter.com]

Link to Matt Jones Twitter comments over Alabi fee

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:14
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
TranmereFan

I think that's extremely harsh even thinking of blaming Alabi for our current position. We under-performed as a team early in the season. Scapegoat comes to mind.
To be clear I wasn't blaming Alabi. MM chooses the team and imo he got it badly wrong by effectively dropping Cook to play Alabi in his place. Yes there were other factors but we set off in completely the wrong way. Whatever League we are in next season let's not repeat the same mistake.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 19:38
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
TranmereFan

To be clear I wasn't blaming Alabi. MM chooses the team and imo he got it badly wrong by effectively dropping Cook to play Alabi in his place. Yes there were other factors but we set off in completely the wrong way. Whatever League we are in next season let's not repeat the same mistake.

Everyone is an expert in hindsight.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 23:25
Quote:
pez

Well you were asking for this to be rubbished by posting it as your assertion is nowhere near the truth, whether you believe that or not.

1. I know about as much on this issue or any issue as you do if not less sometimes.

2. You rubbished a fan of the selling club and quoted someone with some "possible" inside track, as a person who's word was practically gospel, as if an actual Chester fan couldn't be more informed about this matter or that Matt Jones couldn't be less informed or off the mark a bit.

Your comments to the fan were a little unfair and it was a tad naive to express sentiments, that might make it look as if Matt Jones can be considered a potent authority on all Tranmere matters, that he chooses to inform people about.

I've never rubbished anything you have said before and wouldn't do out of respect, but to be objective, then yes I felt the need to question the validity of the twitter content, you basically used to be a bit disrespectful to a Chester fan, who admittedly accused you of talking rubbish, which was a tad unnecessary but wasn't swearing or trying to act a bit like Dai Kwondo and come across as superior; he reported his understanding of the issue, as did you, which both of you had a right to do.

Matt Jones may well have inside track, but it won't always make him right, that's just being honest.

However in hindsight some of my post was just making general comparisons between the situation in hand and one or two other similar ones, so the whole post was not a direct assessment of yours, so I could have been clearer about which parts were and which parts weren't, so I can accept that as a slight mistake on my part.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 01:26
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
pez

Well you were asking for this to be rubbished by posting it as your assertion is nowhere near the truth, whether you believe that or not.

1. I know about as m

uch on this issue or any issue as you do if not less sometimes.

2. You rubbished a fan of the selling club and quoted someone with some "possible" inside track, as a person who's word was practically gospel, as if an actual Chester fan couldn't be more informed about this matter or that Matt Jones couldn't be less informed or off the mark a bit.

Your comments to the fan were a little unfair and it was a tad naive to express sentiments, that might make it look as if Matt Jones can be considered a potent authority on all Tranmere matters, that he chooses to inform people about.

I've never rubbished anything you have said before and wouldn't do out of respect, but to be objective, then yes I felt the need to question the validity of the twitter content, you basically used to be a bit disrespectful to a Chester fan, who admittedly accused you of talking rubbish, which was a tad unnecessary but wasn't swearing or trying to act a bit like Dai Kwondo and come across as superior; he reported his understanding of the issue, as did you, which both of you had a right to do.

Matt Jones may well have inside track, but it won't always make him right, that's just being honest.

However in hindsight some of my post was just making general comparisons between the situation in hand and one or two other similar ones, so the whole post was not a direct assessment of yours, so I could have been clearer about which parts were and which parts weren't, so I can accept that as a slight mistake on my part.

I merely pointed out that there had been a tweet made by Matt Jones. I did not suggest it was factual in any way, but I know Matt is usually quite correct with his reporting owing to his contacts within the club.

The Chester fan should stick to his own forum and it appears that Chesters valuation of Alabi was clearly a lot higher than ours, and that was hinted at in the clubs Official Statement on the matter, so maybe Matt Jones makes a valid point in his tweet?

I agree that £22.5k isnt a lot of money, however, when you compare it with the £15k Wrexham alegedly offered for Cook during the Summer, then its a total insult.

Imo its £22..5k that could have been spent in reinforcing the team and pushing hard for that automatic spot, but instead its money we'll never get back as I dont see Alabi being worth anywhere near that should we decide to offload him.

All we can hope for is that someone comes in for him and a tribunal rules in our favour and we recover our £22.5k ?

Jack of all Trades

18 February, 2018 10:08
Based on his performance last season (the reason we signed him?) and probably taking into account the Barnet 10K bid last season which, was rejected, the tribunal figure however much we might now disagree with it having seen JA in action, seems reasonable.

They usually insert a sell on clause of some kind.

The rumours of Chester wanting around 70K, was also common knowledge amongst Chester Fans (my Brother in law confirmed same)

If this had been settled right at the beginning of the season, we may have had a different opinion of the outcome.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 11:17
So esentially Alabi is worth a Ford Focus estate in Titainum trim, although I reckon Alabi could carry more load.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2018 11:19 by TranmereFan.

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 14:23
This whole saga shows the dangers of believing stories put out in social media and reminds me of the Eddie Clarke transfer story.

Even reputable journalists can be misled so we should treat every story with a pinch of salt until it's backed up by hard facts. The phrases 'sources in the club' or 'I am led to believe' are actually euphemisms for ' I don't really know if this is true but...'

Lots of the information that we crave about transfer dealings, wages and other clubs interest never sees the light of day so most comment on this is conjecture.

But we love to talk about it so it's all fine and dandy until it erupts into @#$%& for tat exchanges with other fans and escalation into a 'twitter storm'.

I agree with previous posters that anyone coming on here with a malicious intent should be dealt with robustly. But we should view reasonable posts as precisely that - reasonable - and enjoy some healthy discourse with a rival supporter.

I had a brilliant chat with a Preston fan while we waited in Manchester airport for our bags yesterday and it reminded me of the camaraderie that exists between rival fans. Lower league supporters are real because they are supporting their teams through more bad times than good, which suggests to me that we more things in common to celebrate than differences.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 22:36
Quote:
pez
Imo its £22..5k that could have been spent in reinforcing the team and pushing hard for that automatic spot, but instead its money we'll never get back as I dont see Alabi being worth anywhere near that should we decide to offload him.

You're absolutely right that it is money that could have been spent, yet for the long-term even using £20,000 of that is another £200 a week ot pay someone for 2 years, so it wouldn't have had a massive impact, unless the signing came in and was so good for the added cost the team were 8-10 points better off right now and that's not impossible but Mellon would have had to have been arguably the canniest manager in the land to pull that off.

However we will never no really, but in mind most managers faced with the prospect of spending a few 10's of thousands on a guy with 17 goals for a team that hardly hit the high notes, might at least consider it, because with players earning 25%, 50% or possibly more again than Chester players get, logically a 17 goal player could perhaps get 20+ with some better quality players around them.

Mellon's judgement wasn't flawed on Alibi, it's just one of those things that he didn't fit in. Some people and I'm not saying you have, might use the current understanding of Alibi to judge Mellon when he had no such insight at the time of procurement and as such said assessment is flawed. Mellon should be judged on what he would have known at the time and not now, as should any manager.

It made me feel like shaking my head when someone said on here Ronnie Moore should apologise for McGinty, Corry, Amoo etc and you think where's your rationale coming from, Crazy Town?

pez
pez (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 12:32
I agree it was a gamble signing Alabi, but the only other Summer signing that turned out to be any good was Norburn.

Had M.M paid £20k for Alabi from the off, then this would probably not be an issue at all, but we ended up haggling through a tribunal which could have been damaging had they favoured Chester's ridiculous valuation of Alabi.

I think M.M has redeemed himself by riding the storm and sticking to his own strict principals.

There was a period where even the hardest of Micky fans were questioning some of his decisions and tactics.

The difference from then to now is there to see, the Bromley game is one we'd have lost earlier in the season. We seem to be digging in and getting more out of games.

Let's hope someone comes in for Alabi during the Summer as I fail to see how he fits into our team. There are a few others that also need to go for the same reason.

Fiftyyearsarover

19 February, 2018 14:15
Yes I to think MM has redeemed himself ,I thought at one stage he had lost the plot ,I think he realised he needed Norwood and Cook in the same team and to stop changing the team every week .now we have a settled squad and whatever discord in the camp has gone and they are all for each other at last ,as people on here have said we are winning games we might have lost 6months ago and for definite in the first season in the NL .the NL football standard wise is getting better all the time it’s really tough to win it

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 23:28
Quote:
pez
Let's hope someone comes in for Alabi during the Summer as I fail to see how he fits into our team. There are a few others that also need to go for the same reason.

I could see that being possible, as a player with form can go to another club and not do to well I:E: the Shevchenko situation, but potentially move on and do well again I:E:E the Sutton situation, neither did well at Chelsea, but it wasn't as if dome league 2 sides were clamouring to sign them for £100,000 and they were forced to make such a move.

The hard thing would be if Alibi went somewhere else in the NL and bagged 4-5 in his first 10 games, because then you wonder why he couldn't do that for you, especially if it was a club perceived not to have quite as much overall squad quality as Tranmere, as that should then in theory hinder his ability to score more than help.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 00:38
Speculatively, he could do a job in the league up with us as we'd need to be a more counter-attacking team.

All being said, i won't be writing him off just yet. He's still a Rovers player under contract until 2019 after all...

micky02
micky02 (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 17:45
dont remind me (Sm164)

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 18:21
Quote:
rossb07
Speculatively, he could do a job in the league up with us as we'd need to be a more counter-attacking team.
All being said, i won't be writing him off just yet. He's still a Rovers player under contract until 2019 after all...

Hear hear! Still remember Chester away when he looked the most dangerous player on the pitch for Chester.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 19:29
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
pez

The hard thing would be if Alibi went somewhere else in the NL and bagged 4-5 in his first 10 games, because then you wonder why he couldn't do that for you, especially if it was a club perceived not to have quite as much overall squad quality as Tranmere, as that should then in theory hinder his ability to score more than help.

There is no theory to football, it’s widely accepted that it’s harder to perform at top at the top clubs due to pressure so no one would wonder at all.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 00:14
Well yes the pressure would be there, but I still think some people would scratch their heads wondering why he could make a step up to a club with a slightly higher wage structure and player quality and not at least bag as many as he did at Chester.

After all why didn't Cook come to Tranmere and struggle after Barrow. I'm not sure Barrow had the finances to match Tranmere's wage structure, or they could have offered him another 10-20% to stay, but some say had he not had the injury he could have bagged 28-30 goals.

He arguably stepped up to a more pressurised situation, because Tranmere were expected to get back to the league, Barrow weren't, but Cook didn't struggle, so maybe Alibi did because any added pressures rested less easily on his shoulders than Cook's.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 00:23
I think you're correct in that thinking Matt.

Could make something about play styles of different teams also but it's been covered again and again.

Still think he wasn't a terrible signing even given the circumstances in that he offered something different to what we had, but this season has probably been a defining one for him.

We'll have to see..

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 00:26
On paper he looked like a potentially good signing on the current evidence at the time, but of course when a small percentage use hindsight to lambast a manager for a signing, it's never an objective strategy by said people.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 00:33
At present, JA is warming the bench at Dover. So that’s 2 teams he’s fallen out of favour from. Was last season just a freak season for him?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net