football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

OT Hartlepool
10 January, 2018 21:57
Look like they are on the brink, 17th in the table, £200k required just to keep them going this month, players and bills to be paid on 25th January. Could have one less team in the division by March.

If so we may draw closer to top by default, everyone’s points against them would be expunged from the record.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: OT Hartlepool
12 January, 2018 00:08
See that some Hartlepool fans worldwide have managed to raise £13,000 over the past few days.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:44
I wish them well. I don't like to see any club in that position particularly a former long-standing FL club. Let's hope they overcome their difficulties.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:49
Don't mean to be a cynic but we hear this at least once a season about a club and they never go. It's almost as though I'm desensitised towards this now. The club's in question never founder .

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:54
I see they have sold Connor Simpson one of their most promising players to Preston for an undisclosed fee which will no doubt help their cause.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 10:26
Quote:
the kav
Don't mean to be a cynic but we hear this at least once a season about a club and they never go. It's almost as though I'm desensitised towards this now. The club's in question never founder .

Sadly some of them do and re-emerge about four levels below in the pyramid as have Chester City, Darlington, Hereford, Rushden & Diamonds, Halifax Town, Newport County etc. Some of the above have rebuilt and made it back to the FL though.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 10:36
Good luck to them. Hope they pull through.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 12:36
I’ll definitely donate a few quid, new money is forcing heritage teams from the league and pushing them to extinction.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:03
The first part has some germ of truth in it, but I'm not convinced on the latter part. When Hartlepool were in league 2, they could have tried to find ways to balance the books for a possible relegation and no first season promotion.

The connection with clubs like Forest Green Rovers and Fleetwood Town to such incidences seems tenuous to me and such clubs are making statements of intent and league 2 and 1 clubs must listen to them, because teams like Salford, Chorley, Ebbsfleet, AFC Fylde and Billericay are showing what might be possible with this "new money" and if or when these clubs get to league 2, then league 2 clubs must realise such clubs cannot be expected to struggle, as this is not Burton in the championship or Bournemouth in Premier League season one, where such clubs would have been expected to struggle.

Fleetwood did not struggle but Forest Green are struggling, but it would have been naive to assume they would automatically struggle, even though they are now a proven struggling team since last years promotion.

Clubs in league two and one with modest attendances should be aware of the rise of non-league bankrolled clubs and perhaps financially prepare for some inevitable scenario, where such teams compete for a league 2 berth with them.

If some teams suddenly hit financial woes, it's either self inflicted with overspending, or a problem with an investor pulling out or some other people that is difficult to resolve.

Non-league clubs are entitled to be taken over and bankrolled, but the money still has to be spent properly and rightly or wrongly, higher level clubs will have to face well run bankrolled clubs sooner or later, but they should have the advantage of a bigger stadium and fan base to attract bigger sponsor and partnerships so they should be able to match or exceed bankrolled finances in theory and other clubs woes should not necessarily be linked to the rise of bankrolled clubs.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:39
?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 00:49 by Tranmere69.

MESSAGES->author

21 January, 2018 16:03
See that they had just under 7,000 attendance yesterday vs Wrexham. Fans turning up to help em out with some much needed dosh.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 16:15
Quote:
hong kong rover
See that they had just under 7,000 attendance yesterday vs Wrexham. Fans turning up to help em out with some much needed dosh.

Many from Middlesbrough.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 16:57
Good luck to them; "there but for the grace of God....".

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 17:02
I wish them well.With any club at this level there is an element of their for the grace of God goes us. We have had times when we gambolled on success and it is hard on supporters who are not responsible for the mismanagement of owners

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 17:50
It would be awful to see one of our oldest rivals going bust.Good luck to them.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 18:24
I saw that they are close to a takeover of some sort, so that’s good news for them!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 19:21
Could need a Stelling effort to keep going

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 19:26
In our time in the FL, we played Hartlepool more times than anybody else I believe?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 20:03
Possible. I would think teams like Crewe, Bolton, Oldham and Walsall would be in the frame for that one.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 20:12
The problem is that the current owner is only there by default as they ended up with it as the holder of finance agreements signed with the previous Chairman (as far as I can understand). When you compare this to our recent situation, PJ was realistic here at Rovers when MP came knocking and swallowed a lot of the debt. That doesn't look like an option for Hartlepool United and the level of debt, for an NL club, is eye watering I'm told.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 22:06
Pity Johnson wasn't that realistic some years earlier, then Tranmere might have had people coming in to generate more sponsorships and revenue, to finance Tranmere's continued League 1 position and a possible push for the 2nd tier.

He was like Mohammad Ali who had a few fights too many before realising his career was fading out, Johnson took too long to accept the non-viability of getting his money back, until Tranmere were dropping to league 2.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 23:11
To me he was ill advised over e****n and regretted it.all though not in good health still remains a rovers fan and sat in the cold last Saturday cheering on the team.without him we would of been history 25 years ago.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 23:34
He was better on Saturday than he has been for a long time- He has just had a pacemaker fitted!!

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 09:16
All Rovers fans should be grateful to Peter Johnson. He only hung on to the reins at Rovers until he found someone (the Palio's) that had the interests of the club at heart. He put the club ahead of his own financial interests.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 10:26
I would think teams like Crewe, Bolton, Oldham and Walsall would be in the frame for that one.[/quote]

not Bolton.We have had very few years in the same division nor Walsall who for many years where in 3rd division south.

For most of our league history we have been more in parallel with teams like Hatlepool,Carlisle,Chesterfield,Rochdale and Crewe.Even Oldham had two periods in the top division as well as a long period in the old div 2

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 18:14
Quote:
coltran
All Rovers fans should be grateful to Peter Johnson. He only hung on to the reins at Rovers until he found someone (the Palio's) that had the interests of the club at heart. He put the club ahead of his own financial interests.

Couldn't agree more, maybe the younger fans who don't remember what PJ did for us need educating.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 18:24
The guy who was potentially going to buy them has pulled out. Says that it would need a blank chequebook to save them, which he isn’t prepared to do.

Sounds like they’re in real trouble.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 19:28
He is offering £1.5 million and the owner is owed £1.8 million, according to the local jungle drums.

Either way, they have an outstanding VAT bill of circa £200000 to settle by Thursday. As I understand it the local council owns the ground though so if it does go under they should have somewhere to play.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 22:26
Quote:
coltran

However had he been prepared to wipe his debts he was never going to get back sooner, the Palios' or people of similar intentions might have taken over before Tranmere dropped down.

He did indeed save Tranmere and should be lauded for it, but his bizarre attitude to generating fresh investment from sponsors and the like started to condemn Tranmere and it is not unfair to level some criticism at him for his actions during Tranmere's recent league 1 years.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 13:38
Quote:
Matt34
However had he been prepared to wipe his debts he was never going to get back sooner, the Palios' or people of similar intentions might have taken over before Tranmere dropped down.

I would see it differently.

PJ had opportunities to sell to people who weren't in the best interests of the club - we should be grateful he never.

Had PJ ploughed enough money in to keep us ticking over, the Palios' wouldn't have seen the need to rescue the club, and wouldn't have come along.

I would question how many times there would have been someone who would have been right for the club and would have taken over if we were debt-free. I doubt we missed many, if any, earlier opportunities. And if he made it public that the club was available debt-free, we would have seen a lot of the wrong types of people being interested. Him making the decision personally, based on being asked the question, wasin my opinion the best course of action for us.

I'm not saying he is above criticism, but I'd see him as prolonging our decline after Barnes was sacked, rather than that season being the start of our fall into non-league football. (And the appointment of Barnes is certainly a reason to criticism PJ.)

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 15:07
Without pools:

Macc 28 51
Sutt 29 51
Trfc 29 49
Shots 29 49
Wrex 27 47
Bore 29 46
Fylde 29 45
Brom 29 44
Dover 28 42
Dag 28 42

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 17:40
Quote:
the kav
Without pools:
Macc 28 51
Sutt 29 51
Trfc 29 49
Shots 29 49
Wrex 27 47
Bore 29 46
Fylde 29 45
Brom 29 44
Dover 28 42
Dag 28 42

See you later pool, no i don't mean it😀

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 23:22
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
PJ had opportunities to sell to people who weren't in the best interests of the club - we should be grateful he never.

True, but some Palios type people or possibly the same people might have come along sooner if he'd waived his unrecoverable debts sooner and Michael Wylde may have been a right type of person for the club man.

It was even noted by Palios after he took over the club had bad accounting practices and lost money on catering without even realising.

There were questionable types interested like club 9, but there may have been other viable options earlier, had the thought of having to expunge £5,000,000+ from the books, not been a factor and also the knowledge that you'd need a lot of legwork in the first 2-3 years to get sponsors in to generate money, as the club had hardly any and when you realise some non-league clubs had 10-20+ sponsors at the time, it made Tranmere look backward and laughable in that regard, as to how many they did have.

Not selling to irresponsible owners is one thing and definitely prudent, but doing things to put off good owners is another thing and not prudent.

MESSAGES->author

21 February, 2018 15:00
Hartlepool boss has left the club with immediate effect. Where does that leave pools now? Managerless, only 3 pts above the relegation zone, no money and the possibility of administration... We are all p*ssed off and moaning about last nights result vs Macc but thank god we are not in Hartlepools shoes..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2018 15:01 by hong kong rover.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 15:16
Quote:
hong kong rover
Hartlepool boss has left the club with immediate effect. Where does that leave pools now? Managerless, only 3 pts above the relegation zone, no money and the possibility of administration... We are all p*ssed off and moaning about last nights result vs Macc but thank god we are not in Hartlepools shoes..

I've heard goosed is pretty jealous of the position Hartlepool are in, he'd give anything for us to be in their shoes!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 15:34
Ronnie return?

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 17:00
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Quote:
hong kong rover

I've heard goosed is pretty jealous of the position Hartlepool are in, he'd give anything for us to be in their shoes!
Love it.😊 Needed a laugh after last night!!!

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 17:12
It seems like Hartlepools are Goosed .as Matt34 says and I said months ago the new money teams will take the place of old established clubs and the NL will be like the old Div 4 it’s only a matter of time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net