football
Latest News:

pensbywhite60
pensbywhite60 (IP Logged)

Clubs finances
10 January, 2018 21:56
Seems a lot of people on here Facebook and Twitter suggesting we are in financial difficulty, if so we may never get out of this awful league without investment - maybe from China !

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Clubs finances
10 January, 2018 22:02
Let’s be fair financial obliteration has been on the cards for years, we have been saved by 3 Chairman women in the past 35 years. Been on the verge of non league for along time. Bar a few good years. Look around us in the late 80’s an the likes of Wrexham, Chester, Orient are still with us. NL is our place at the table, a lot of new money in football and non of it is likely to end up at our door. Investors from abroad think they can buy a club invest abit of cash via debt and make the PL. Ultimatley they then walk and the club dies. I’d rather we be in the NL and exist.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 23:49
Totally agree. All lower league and NL clubs are permanently walking a financial tightrope with a rich sponsor

Wirral Mike
Wirral Mike (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 00:15
When Mark and Nicola took over the club they said finances were in place to secure operations for the next 2 years.We are now in year three.....and yes our stadium is fantastic for NL but I guess it probably costs a lot more to maintain than the more modest set ups

I have posted elsewhere my recollection of the phrase a 'Top 8 Playing budget for MM'. Looking at our current league position, have we found our level? I truly hope not and want Nors and Cookie and Connor to fire us up to League 2

Apart from Macc everyone seems to be capable of beating everyone else this season, witness Chester's last two results and there is no reason why we can't be in the mix and go up through the play offs

Woking game massive 3 points and we're right back in it any less and we are on the slide to mid table

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 06:46
Quote:
Higgosboots
Let’s be fair financial obliteration has been on the cards for years, we have been saved by 3 Chairman women in the past 35 years. Been on the verge of non league for along time. Bar a few good years. Look around us in the late 80’s an the likes of Wrexham, Chester, Orient are still with us. NL is our place at the table, a lot of new money in football and non of it is likely to end up at our door. Investors from abroad think they can buy a club invest abit of cash via debt and make the PL. Ultimatley they then walk and the club dies. I’d rather we be in the NL and exist.

You say the club dies. How many of these clubs are now dead. The likes of us, Wrexham and Chester are down here because we haven't spent. Even the big spenders after a drop or 2 seem to get back up there, Leeds Man City, etc. Hull had padlocks on the turnstiles, but have risen again. Even Coventry are on the way back up. For me the gamble of big investment far out weighs our attemp at self sustainability.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 08:08
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Higgosboots

You say the club dies. How many of these clubs are now dead. The likes of us, Wrexham and Chester are down here because we haven't spent. Even the big spenders after a drop or 2 seem to get back up there, Leeds Man City, etc. Hull had padlocks on the turnstiles, but have risen again. Even Coventry are on the way back up. For me the gamble of big investment far out weighs our attemp at self sustainability.

I think we have to gamble to, I just don’t want us bought by some nut case. If we don’t go up we’re probably knackered anyway, only have to look at the accounts online to see that, cash in bank down 90%, net worth down 20%, assets down 30%.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 13:13
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Higgosboots

I think we have to gamble to, I just don’t want us bought by some nut case. If we don’t go up we’re probably knackered anyway, only have to look at the accounts online to see that, cash in bank down 90%, net worth down 20%, assets down 30%.

time to take that gamble

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:36
Is there ever a year when people aren't saying the club is about to go to the wall? In my experience: TV fans of Premiership clubs who know nothing about football at this level generally believe that without millions of pounds we are skint; they tell anyone who mentions Tranmere this; some Tranmere fans believe these wildly incorrect views; they tell other Tranmere fans they've heard this, and the story grows legs.

It's the same as the Robbie Fowler rumours - some Liverpool fans have to talk about Tranmere in relation to something Liverpool related, and some people believe those stories.

I'm not saying the story of the club going to the wall is untrue - I have no idea. But generally a club who is in serious financial danger wouldn't be signing a goalkeeper on loan when a youngster is ready. Given we are early in January (and the loan window doesn't lose anyway), a financial prudent approach would be to give him a few games and then decide whether to loose the purse strings (an approach which wouldn't harm our promotion chances).

The budget might be different last year, but I can't see us struggling to exist - I would imagine players salaries are the biggest expense and a lower wage bill reduces that issue.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:40
Spoken by the main man himself Mr.P

“However, Mr Palios maintains that funding levels should stay the same despite the club missing out on promotion back to the Football League.

He said: “Who’s to say where the club can go or not go? Once you get momentum then that carries you forward.

“It isn’t just a case of pumping the money into the budget for the players for one season.

“This is trying to put us into a position where by we can maintain that level.

“Despite losing more and more of the central funding – we don’t get any next season – we’re trying to maintain the budget.

“We’re working today on reducing the loss that was originally budgeted for this year.

“I don’t know where it will come out at the end of the day but if we go up you immediately get in the region of £1.5million on top of what we’ve got now.

“I always say that being in this league is akin to financial altitude training because if you can get it right at altitude then when you come down to ground level then you’re really ready to go.

“Hopefully if we go up this season then we’re ready to go in League Two.”

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 22:43
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
generally a club who is in serious financial danger wouldn't be signing a goalkeeper on loan when a youngster is ready.

They do when they have saved wages from the DMH loan deal and the belief that said youngster is not ready.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 22:43 by Matt34.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 21:03
Why MM has such a large playing staff is a massive part of this problem. There are 'several' players who should NOT be on the books, Mangan for starters - why Pilling is not playing now is just plain stupid, there are questions to be asked about MM at several levels. Brin g in decent players - NOT 'Mates and jobs for the Favourites'.......

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 21:24
Massive part of what "problem"? The imminent financial meltdown that some have dreamt up? C'mon. And what evidence is there to suggest the goalkeeping decision is stupid?

We've just won three points away from home, just signed a title winner who's been playing League 2, been on a decent run helped by two other very good signings, and look to have good depth for the run in. Cheer up!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 00:46
Exactly aldo

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 21:34
'Problem' relates to the heading - re Clubs Finances. No Club can afford to have players who sit out games and are still paid - so why have such a large squad? - some players are needed (Gumbs can now take McNulty's place indeed, but for 'others' thinning the squad out simply saves the clubs finances, then perhaps one or two 'decent players' could be brought in -
already missed out on Banks who I would rather have in the side before any Mangan, Waring, Alibi etc), - as to the keeper, so why retain Pilling at all?, he will be a free agent at the end of this season - might as well sell now and have some revenue back - or does he just sit out all the games too and depart for free - he's only a Welsh international after all (hints of dressing room 'situations here'), sort your heads out lads you just cannot overlook the finances (which if not kept in check can prevent better players joining Rovers. IN passing Well Done to Mark & Nicola for all the input this season so far, hope the Season ends successfully for you both - any truth to the rumoured sale of Cresswell (West Ham - Everton), having a 'sell on' fee to Rovers? - it's all about Mr Money at the end of the day.
Exactly.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 07:49
As ever, it is all about opinions, you can agree or disagree that's your prerogative and the cornerstone of debate and the basis of any forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net