football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Fan responsibility and behaviour
07 January, 2018 10:23
Do we as fans have any responsibility for what we say or curbs on our behaviour in the modern era? Is it too easy to get a criticism out there via social media that is counter productive or are fans just getting a voice?

All sport is emotive and can often be a huge roller coaster of ups and downs within a game, never mind a season. Once we have paid to get in, should we be allowed to criticise the performance of our team? I think the answer to this is yes but within reason. I have stood up plenty of times to encourage the players to pull their fingers out and also shouted the odd comment about making a substitution or tactics. But I have stopped short of specific complaints and moans about individuals.

However, it's what happens online that really worries me. The availability of a vehicle to give an instant response (via twitter, Facebook or message boards) is a double edged sword and I feel people should consider what they write before posting.

This is not in any way a criticism of criticism but is actually just a question on the responsibility of a fan and the damage words can do.

As a parent and as a teacher, I encourage young people to consider their responses and not to make knee jerk reactions. And also to be very careful with what they say online because of the hurt and damage it can cause.

Twitter is full of keyboard warriors who wouldn't dream of saying the stuff they post in a face to face situation so should all of our posts be tempered with this in mind?

I ask my students for gut reactions to things and I feel that instant feedback is a good thing - we can't just clap politely when things are going wrong on the pitch after all. But are all these Twitter meltdowns helpful in any way apart from an individual getting something off their chest?

I think that any comment made in a public forum has to made with the awareness of its potential effect on others. Critical comments are good but they need to be fair criticisms otherwise we could be guilty of just indulging ourselves.

This is all just an opinion by the way and I am certainly not telling people how they should behave on social media. It's more about the quandary I find myself in after a game when the result has not gone our way, and the temptation to unload all the negative vibes feels overwhelming.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Fan responsibility and behaviour
07 January, 2018 11:32
Quite happy with most of your post Kenny, but the same needs to apply to players who have historically been no shrinking violets on social media (talking in a generic sense).

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 12:02
Agree Phil.

This applies to everyone!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 13:19
Think the point of social media is the power of free speech, as long as no bullying or threats made.... then it’s all just peoples opinions and views which makes it what it is.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 14:37
Quote:
TranmereFan
Think the point of social media is the power of free speech, as long as no bullying or threats made.... then it’s all just peoples opinions and views which makes it what it is.
There is no free-speech in the UK and although in the US there is the First Amendment this is being eroded significantly but 'no platforming' of predominantly alt-right (or more typically non-leftist) speakers.
As for social media, I a simple rule now, and its something I've told my kids, just avoid saying anything remotely edgy at all, at least under your own name, once something is on the line, it is there for good.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 14:47
Yes, everyone has a right to free speech but I was always taught that with every right comes a responsibility. Probably an old-fashioned view these days given the amount of foul-mouthed or just attention-seeking rubbish you see on the likes of Twitter.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
TranmereFan
There is no free-speech in the UK and although in the US there is the First Amendment this is being eroded significantly but 'no platforming' of predominantly alt-right (or more typically non-leftist) speakers.
As for social media, I a simple rule now, and its something I've told my kids, just avoid saying anything remotely edgy at all, at least under your own name, once something is on the line, it is there for good.

Free speech does exist in the UK, not a universal freedom of speech however. As long as you do not offend or insult someone in public especially on racial or religious basis, or cause harassment, alarm or distress or cause a breach of the peace.

So saying something like, “rubbish game today, your all too fat for the shirt” isn’t really going to upset anyone...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net