PeteTRFC (IP Logged)

New Keeper
05 January, 2018 22:02
I have heard a rumour we are loaning Fylde’s No.2. Odd if true

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Re: New Keeper
05 January, 2018 22:16
I know we got tonked on Monday by Fylde but, their first choice keeper didn't impress at PP in the earlier fixture. Surely this can only be as back up to Luke?

If we are going to loan a keeper, we must be able to source a better option?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:25
Do you think he would be cover for Pilling or as the first choice?

PeteTRFC
PeteTRFC (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:27
Apparently first choice. Pilling will be livid if true, I imagine

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:44
If it's Rhys Taylor then he has a reasonable pedigree for this level, to be fair. Age 27 and first team experience at the likes of Crewe, Rotherham, Macc, Wrexham. Don't know why he's lost his place at Fylde though.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 06:58
Why not give pilling a chance of say 3-4 games whilst making enquiries
He could be the next Pickford

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 08:19
I’d be pretty disappointed if we brought in about her national league number 2 to replace ours. A league 1 number 2 I would understand, but not the same as we’re replacing!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 09:21
Crazy to have a rival clubs No.2 as our No.1 !

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 09:45
Quote:
TranmereFan
Crazy to have a rival clubs No.2 as our No.1 !

Oh sh*t that's the third one I've slipped up on,just call me Butterfingers or perhaps the SWA can think of any other names.(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 11:58
It was only 3 years ago that 55 year old goalkeeper Dave Beasant was on the subs bench for Stevenage for an away game at Carlisle. He was the goalkeeping coach at Stevenage at the time but wasn't used in that game. A certain Eric Walter Nixon is currently 55 years of age.. Pilling No 1, Nixon No 2, simples, lol.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 12:23
Quote:
hong kong rover
It was only 3 years ago that 55 year old goalkeeper Dave Beasant was on the subs bench for Stevenage for an away game at Carlisle. He was the goalkeeping coach at Stevenage at the time but wasn't used in that game. A certain Eric Walter Nixon is currently 55 years of age.. Pilling No 1, Nixon No 2, simples, lol.

The clash of Nico's belly with a certain C/B in the goalmouth could be a catastrophe on a world scale.(Sm73)

MESSAGES->author

06 January, 2018 12:31
Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
hong kong rover

The clash of Nico's belly with a certain C/B in the goalmouth could be a catastrophe on a world scale.(Sm73)

lol, UK hit by catastrophic richter scale 9 earthquake, epicenter Birkenhead.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 13:54
Wharton played for youth team this morning I'm sure he's not going to head up to Barrow now should be obvious new keeper will play some part either play or on the bench.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 14:18
Signed till the end of the season, starts today.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 14:22
He pretty experienced at this level having played for both Macclesfield and Wrexham. I think he was also Fylde’s first choice last season

MESSAGES->author

06 January, 2018 14:26
Quote:
mini_andy
He pretty experienced at this level having played for both Macclesfield and Wrexham. I think he was also Fylde’s first choice last season

hope he does well for us, harris in the side today and eddie Clarke is back in.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 14:32
One goal in for Flyde and one for us.....joke!

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 14:39
I prefer to have an experienced goalie rather than a young one I am afraid.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 14:51
How is Pilling supposed to get experience. If he's that good why is he Fylde's second choice.Pilling will go at the end of the season

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:00
Agreed OldRover - disappointed in this TBH taking the reserve keeper from a fellow NL team is bizarre, senior experience or not. How must Pilling be feeling today sat on the subs bench? So much for MM mantra that all the players here are good enough to play if selected...waste of a salary to sit on the bench all year with no intention of playing him.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:00
Quote:
Old Rover
How is Pilling supposed to get experience. If he's that good why is he Fylde's second choice.Pilling will go at the end of the season

we brought in a taylor-made replacement

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:03
The bench must have been watching a different half of football, the 4th goal was down to mcnulty and sutton giving their big centre half a free header from a set piece and the 5th was when buxton ignored pilings call.

In between piling pulled off 2 great saves one when rowe was one on one and pilling showed a strong left arm as rowe tried to clip it over him, secondly he was out smartly to save at smiths feet when he was one on one.

What a strange decision. I think banks has been sent back to pay for this too. Madness all round.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 17:11
Well he defo tried to miss that cross in the last minute that would of cost us the game today!

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 17:28
Can't believe that there are posts from some on here saying we should give pilling a go, when they have a go at other fans for having a go a MM or the team. In saying he should get a chance is going against the club, shame on you. In MM and big nico we trust.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 17:38
Quote:
aktrfc
Can't believe that there are posts from some on here saying we should give pilling a go, when they have a go at other fans for having a go a MM or the team. In saying he should get a chance is going against the club, shame on you. In MM and big nico we trust.

Agree.

I can’t believe the almost hysterical response from some about Pilling not being given a chance.

Do the coaching staff , incl Nixon, not have a say in whether they think Pilling is good enough for number 1 ? Do they not see him a lot more in training etc so as to be in a better place to judge whether he’s good enough ? And they’ve clearly assessed that he is not. So let’s leave them to do their jobs eh ? Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but not all opinions are helpful.

People are going heart over head on this one

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 17:49
It's called having an opinion. If Pilling had missed that cross in the last minutes people would saying that he's not good enough. Of course in the end it's down to MM who play's but if Pilling is not good enough to replace Davies then we've got a problem. What would have happened if Taylor had been injured in the first minute.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 20:10
I wouldn’t be too surprised if pillings now leaves as he’s effectively surplus too requirements

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 20:45
Quote:
mini_andy
I wouldn’t be too surprised if pillings now leaves as he’s effectively surplus too requirements

+1

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 22:43
The most important thing surely is whether we've just signed ourselves a decent keeper. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who went how he actually played today.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 00:11
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
The most important thing surely is whether we've just signed ourselves a decent keeper. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who went how he actually played today.

He had very little to do but got nowhere near the shot when they hit the bar. Last few minutes he looked unconvincing when they had a couple of chances.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 00:20
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

He had very little to do but got nowhere near the shot when they hit the bar. Last few minutes he looked unconvincing when they had a couple of chances.

+1 , that cross at the end, I’m not even sure how he missed it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 00:20 by TranmereFan.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 09:01
I remember being really doubtful and worried when stevie mungall got injured in 1989, when muiry got injured , also i was doubtful when neil mcnab was struggling but thomas, moore and irons didnt do too bad we have to give youth a chance!! Other teams doit and it works out for them .

We are really worried about losing out acadamy funding if we dont go up but whats the point if we dont give them the chance, we have turned down championship offers for pilling and dugdale yet both are not getting a chance.

We are skint yet we insist on paying big wages on loanees when we could try out some of our young lads

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 10:05
If people with the experience of Eric Nixon and MM say that Pilling is not ready, who are we to really argue. Fans would soon be upset if Pilling was chosen and cost us matches. Sure it's disappointing for the lad but that's football. If he's good enough, he'll get his chance. The remaining matches are so important to our promotion bid that we shouldn't be taking unnecessary risks.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 10:07
I take the point about coaches being involved in the decision but it is easy to be conservative and go for experience rather than risk having judgement questioned. We have had a number of home grown players that have regularly been overlooked for dross already on our books. In the first half of the season for example Gumbs had to play second fiddle to a vastly more experienced but infinitely poorer defender. So what does that say about our coaches. Likewise, Clarke emergence was mainly a consequence of injury rather than any bold assessment that perhaps he offered more than more experienced players. Drysdale, claimed by some to be the best player of potential has been completely ignored. Ay Wembley we sent out an unbalanced side that was horribly exposed because we wanted to go for experience.

Ok judgement is required and coaches have a key role in that process but coaches and managers can share characteristics some will take a calculated risk and others will go for experience. There is no automatic case that either is right and on balance I have not been impressed when Rovers have had to make such calls.

I have no problem with signing Taylor but we could have used him as cover and at least given Pilling a few games. Brentford saw something in him. We have sent the message to him that he has no real future at the club and I would not blame him if he leaves at the first opportunity

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 10:13
Quote:
the kav
I remember being really doubtful and worried when stevie mungall got injured in 1989, when muiry got injured , also i was doubtful when neil mcnab was struggling but thomas, moore and irons didnt do too bad we have to give youth a chance!! Other teams doit and it works out for them .
We are really worried about losing out acadamy funding if we dont go up but whats the point if we dont give them the chance, we have turned down championship offers for pilling and dugdale yet both are not getting a chance.

We are skint yet we insist on paying big wages on loanees when we could try out some of our young lads

The youngsters you speak of came through I think a different thing time, youngsters were readily used at all levels it's now the norm to sign a proven player who is less if a risk as there is so much at stake whatever level you play, and the in those days a manager tended to stay at a team for a period of time if they hang around 2 seasons they've done well these days. Our academy is the a proper academy any decent players go to league clubs.

Plus from what I hear the stakes are much higher than just getting promotion, if we don't get out well be lucky to keep any of the current teams squad/coaching staff as the finances will be slashed.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 14:35
Quote:
coltran
If people with the experience of Eric Nixon and MM say that Pilling is not ready, who are we to really argue. Fans would soon be upset if Pilling was chosen and cost us matches. Sure it's disappointing for the lad but that's football. If he's good enough, he'll get his chance. The remaining matches are so important to our promotion bid that we shouldn't be taking unnecessary risks.

Exactly this. Whoever's the better of the two keepers will get the starting position.

Plus, with Scotty's contract coming to an end, looking at a more experienced keeper now makes sense - it'll help our negotiating position with him over any new contract and, if he does leave, means Taylor might be a ready-made (and probably cheaper) replacement for next season.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 20:09
"The secret message communicated to most young people today by the society around them is that they are not needed, that the society will run itself quite nicely until they - at some point in the distant future - will take over the reigns. Yet the fact is that the society is not running itself nicely...because the rest of us need all the energy, brains, imagination and talent that young people can bring to bear down on our difficulties. For society to attempt to solve its desperate problems without the full participation of even very young people is imbecile" - Alvin Toffler
A little close to the bone if you ask me.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 16:51
Pilling has great natural ability. He is just lacking in experience. I think most people just instinctively wanted him to be given a run. But I am guessing that there were few options and that Taylor would only come if he started.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 17:13
How is a player supposed to get experience of first team football if he is'nt played. What experience did Clarke have he only got into the team because of injuries.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 16:59
See what I mean about Liverpool goalkeepers not good enough for us to take on loan ? Not saving was inSane.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 05:25
Not a bad start letting a penalty in in 180 minutes plus in total play

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Old Rover
It's called having an opinion. If Pilling had missed that cross in the last minutes people would saying that he's not good enough. Of course in the end it's down to MM who play's but if Pilling is not good enough to replace Davies then we've got a problem. What would have happened if Taylor had been injured in the first minute.

Academic

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 15:58
I thought he had a solid game on Saturday. They were a big physical team, but that didn’t phase him. So we’ll done!

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 16:46
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Old Rover

Academic
Dont agree !

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 18:05
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Old Rover

Academic
Dont agree !

If we did away with all the speculation on here, it would be a boring place to be; but then again, that's just conjecture.
Can we categorise the score predictions as being hypothetical?
Fact or fiction? I find the latter more entertaining and worthy of my time.
Be creative!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net