football
Latest News:

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Luke Pilling
02 January, 2018 14:19
Luke deserves an opportunity while Scotty is injured.

He has received good reviews whilst playing for the Welsh U21 Team and kept a clean sheet on his debut at Maidstone last season.

I cannot comment on his second half performance at Fylde.

Scotty is out of contract at the end of the season and Luke is supposed to have turned down Brentford this season to stay with us.

Unless he gets a run in the team, we will never know how good he really is nor encourage him to stay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 14:28 by Jack of all Trades.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

Re: Luke Pilling
02 January, 2018 14:43
Fully agree!

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 14:50
I'd like to see him given a run in the team but I'd feel happier if we also signed an experienced keeper as cover if Davies is going to be out for, say, a couple of months. Don't think we should be going into this period with only two rookie keepers. Difficulty will be finding an experienced keeper who's good enough but who'll be happy to play second fiddle to a youngster.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 15:07
That is the difficulty which, makes me think he will loan an experienced keeper straight away.

Hope I am wrong.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 16:12
What’s the point in having him as a number 2 if we’re not going to use him? With no reserve fixtures it’s not like he’s getting match practice anywhere else!

Look at how Eddie Clarke has stepped up this season

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 16:15
Always use nick he could fill the gap ! A big gap

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 16:35
And I bet Nicko will be in Micky's face saying he will do the job! Seriously though with Davies's contract up at the end of the season ,and depending which division we are in, I can see Pilling being our No 1 next season. The only drawback is Pilling who is an excellent keeper does not have the same physical presence as Davies!

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 17:06
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
I'd like to see him given a run in the team but I'd feel happier if we also signed an experienced keeper as cover if Davies is going to be out for, say, a couple of months. Don't think we should be going into this period with only two rookie keepers. Difficulty will be finding an experienced keeper who's good enough but who'll be happy to play second fiddle to a youngster.
But with respect that is never going to happen... if we sign anybody it is to play him instead of Pilling which judging from the comments of MM post Fylde is exactly what he plans to do.
I was critical of MM earlier this season for a number of reasons one of which was the abject way he treated the young players. His dropping of Clarke for the Fylde game was the latest in a long list IMO but far worse were his comments about Pilling after he was asked directly what would happen now Davies was injured. He said nothing positive whatsoever.... no wonder Drysdale refused a contract in close season and let's be honest here if Ridelagh had not been injured I am sure Clarke would still be sat on the bench at best.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 17:45
Pilling certainly sounds promising but none of us have seen enough of him to know if we should be pinning our hopes on him for the next couple of months. Because of that, and as much as we'd all like to see him get a run of games, I wouldn't be able to put up much of an argument against Mellon if he genuinely believes Pilling isn't quite ready.

MM certainly has a big decision to make over what is a critical position on the field. A decision that could go a long way to make or break our promotion chances. If he chooses to bring in and play a more experienced keeper I won't be slating him...unless of course the new man proves not to be good enough.

As for Clarke, he is a bit raw on the defensive side and I've no problem with giving him a break every now and then, seeing as we've got Ridehalgh to fill in. Even Kingy did exactly the same back in the day with the likes of Tony Thomas and Ian Nolan, and they responded by quickly reaching a level that made it impossible to leave them out. In this case, though, resting Clarke combined with the loss of DMH meant we lost width and pace - the exact same bugbears which caused our slow start to the season - and didn't properly replace it. Hopefully that's the lesson MM takes on board, regardless of whether Clarke or anyone else is the answer to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 17:51 by Aldo'smuzzy.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 18:14
There are some big characters in our team and especially the back 4. GK is the most important posistion on the park, I have to be honest when I say I don’t think Davies is actually up to it. He is a decent shot stopper but: Lacks command of his area and the back 4, he won’t take control of a situation, evidenced well at home to Peterborough with the infamous back pass, then highlighted again on Boxing Day at home to Fylde with the McNulty back pass header and regularly when he tries these stupid punches instead of claiming the ball. Have noticed recently a portion of defenders feeling it necessary to remind Davies of these finer points of custodianisim over recent weeks.

Big Eric did all these things extremely well in his day and something I would have thought may have seen an improvement in from Davies this term with Nico now on staff.

Lots of good keepers out their and it shouldn’t be to difficult to find a replacement for Davies who is better in these areas as I really don’t feel this is the right time for Pilling to be thrown in.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 18:32
Quote:
Loyden1
Always use nick he could fill the gap ! A big gap
I dont want to see us parking the bus

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 18:54
I agree with Higgoboots. The rest of the season is crucial and perhaps not the time to take risks with an inexperienced goalie. I would much rather see an experienced keeper between the sticks. The priority is promotion and not taking risks with youngsters. Luke should get his chance next season.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 19:17
Need an experienced goalie on loan. In the position we're in, can't afford to have a less than solid, reliable goalkeeper.

Watching the highlights, Pilling at fault for both goals he conceded in second half at Flyde.

Am convinced we could find someone better than Davies as well.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 20:42
Davies has not been as good this season BUT he has been carrying the injury for some time which may explain a number of things. He is one of the top wage earners and he certainly won't be here next season particularly if we get stuck in this division!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 20:58
Quote:
jonesy792
Need an experienced goalie on loan. In the position we're in, can't afford to have a less than solid, reliable goalkeeper.
Watching the highlights, Pilling at fault for both goals he conceded in second half at Flyde.

Am convinced we could find someone better than Davies as well.

Davies was at least partially at fault for all the first three too.It was harder for Luke because he came on at three down against a team whose confidence was high and we were not defending well throughout. Starting off at 0-0 on Saturday[if it goes ahead] will be a fairer test. He did great at Maidstone last season.

Where's Flyde? smiling smileyIt was in Wesham yesterday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 21:00 by Hoots Mon.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 23:48
Quote:
martyd12
Davies has not been as good this season BUT he has been carrying the injury for some time which may explain a number of things. He is one of the top wage earners and he certainly won't be here next season particularly if we get stuck in this division!

He might stay beyond this season depending on the circumstances, but that is some way away.

Three slight possible loans based on Mellon's playing history.

Adam Legzdins
Ben Williams
Christoffer Mafoumbi

The last one would look like a better bet of the three, but this is based on the premise that he might have some kind of contacts at the clubs those players are with, as he played for those clubs.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 17:33
Liverpool need a 'keeper... when they sign one could we put a cheeky little loan enquiry in about Mignolet or Karius?

We'd be doing them a favour out of the kindness of our hearts! winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net