football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Guiseley (H)
30 December, 2017 10:38
The stats don't lie - we are the form team in the National League over the last 6 and the last 10 games. This clearly bodes well for the future.

The John King formula of winning home games as the first step is being followed and we have now achieved the first objective of being in the play off positions. Objective two is now to get into the upper play off zone with the third objective being top spot. And that's the secret in our success I think - step by step recovery.

By looking at the next game only and focussing on getting some home wins under our belt, incremental progress has been made. If we only look at getting top spot then the mountain to climb looks huge and daunting, and probably unachievable. So while the old cliche of 'one game at a time' is trotted out and feels a bit overused, it's actually wholly accurate as a strategy to use in the situation we find ourselves in.

And despite the end of Dylan Mottley-Henrys loan deal, we also find ourselves in a strong position squad wise with lots of competition for places. This is hugely significant from now on as most of our rivals have much smaller squads that will always struggle to cope with the rising tide of injuries and suspensions in the latter half of the season.

So confidence is clearly evident as we head into the third game of the Christmas period today against Guiseley. Spirits are up, we are back in contention and we still have DMH for two more games!

The great Johnny King would never quote stats or form tables but would focus on the home form, Christmas fixtures and then see where we were at Easter. That's not a bad recipie I reckon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 08:54 by mini_andy.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Guiseley (H)
30 December, 2017 11:55
Going for another home success.....3-0.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:27
2 x 4 goals and 2 x 3 in the last 4 games, got to be 6 today.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:28
club website said there was a precautionary pitch inspection at 11:45am and the match officials have said all is ok with the pitch.. 2-0 for the Rovers.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:33
Any score so long as it’s a home win

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:38
Patience will be king today, guiseley will come for a point playing a bank of 4 and 5 to condence the space, expect about 6 bookings too.

They will not be as naive as fylde defensively i cannot remember the last time i saw a high back 4 playing an offside trap... that was out thought in the early 90s by having your strikers pressing out with the defence and your midfielders making breaks from deep... no wonder challoner changed at ht .

2-0 to rovers and we all leave with well bitten fingernails . Mcnulty header first and banks screamer for the second.

Happy new year all

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:55
Two ex Rovers might line up against us today, Lee Molyneux and Kayode Odejayi. But the man to watch is James Roberts on loan from Oxford...

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 13:47
I’ve got a bad feeling about today for some reason. I’m hoping for a 3-2

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 14:50
cmon the rovers..

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 16:24
yessss get in norwood.

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 16:29
woo hoo 2-0 get in rovers

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 16:38
3 up happy new year

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 16:46
4-0 we want 5 lol

Pablosammy
Pablosammy (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 16:57
Can't complain about that result, I feared the worst at half time! The only downer about today is that Macc held on to their 1-0 lead after going down to 10 men.

Still, all we can do is keep winning. We just need to sort our mediocre away form out, starting on Monday! We could potentially go 2nd...

Up the whites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 16:58 by Pablosammy.

MESSAGES->author

30 December, 2017 16:59
great result and reckon micky should be on for MOM for December. only downside today was Macc winning, they had their keeper sent off after an hour. everyone dropping points now with the exception of rovers n macc. we now have the best goal diff in the whole division.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 17:21 by hong kong rover.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:21
I'm saying it.

Win at Fylde and we'll win the league. I'm at Ribby Hall for new year so already ready!

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:25
HKR, don't put the jinx of MOM on MM! Look what's happened in seasons past!!!!

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:44
WOW WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? we have the best goal difference in the division .

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:52
The first 20 minutes or so, we looked dangerous and Guiseley looked as if they were there for the taking. The game then turned into more of a scrappy affair, which continued at the start of the second half. We needed Norwood's goal to settle us down and boy did we settle. Some excellent interplay saw us cruise to victory in the end; dare I say it, we looked like champions the way we controlled the latter part of the game. Great to see Kirby playing and for the short time he was on he looked mobile and was up with the pace of the game immediately.How long will we be able to hold on to Clarke; fantastic again with his marauding runs up the wing and tying players up in knots! Like a fine wine, Jennings improved as time went on and looked superb in the second half. Difficult to find fault with anyone's performance, for those who want to look. Really enjoying our current form and our ability to score goals; long may it continue.
"We're on our way.........."

Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 20:01
All outstanding after Nors scored....but thought Banks was absolute quality ithroughout...no coincidence that we've hit form since his arrival

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 21:22
Good to see Jake back. Not sure where they get the energy from after so many games in two weeks. And five wins on the bounce. And more players back to full fitness. All positive at the moment.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 21:26
The question that needs answering is whether we can get him to stay for the rest of the season. I understand there are ongoing talks about his position and his staying could make a difference as to where we finish in the table. He plays so well with Norburn and Jennings so much so that I believe we are the best side in the division at the moment and our football at times is a joy to watch.
We do not need to make many changes to the side although there are still players to come back. I do not like the persistent talk that Cook will go in the January window as he would attract a fee we would not get at the end of the season. Surely it would be a negative move to let him go now. He had another good game today and the early goal that was disallowed for offside was in fact clearly onside! if that had counted we might have had an absolute hatful.
Praise again is due to Eddy Clarke and I believe in time he will play for England. My only concern is that someone will come in for him in January and a big offer may tempt him away! He must also stay for the time being!

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 21:50
As good as eddie is im not sure hes ready for a step up yet, he makes a lot of naive mistakes.... suttons goai, the header across the box v fylde and the silly turn on the edge of the box v maidstone.

Give him a year to get more experience in making the right defensive decisions and he will be class, i dont think hes better then league 2 at the moment but if he stays he will be

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 22:32
Quote:
martyd12
The question that needs answering is whether we can get him to stay for the rest of the season. I understand there are ongoing talks about his position and his staying could make a difference as to where we finish in the table. He plays so well with Norburn and Jennings so much so that I believe we are the best side in the division at the moment and our football at times is a joy to watch.
We do not need to make many changes to the side although there are still players to come back. I do not like the persistent talk that Cook will go in the January window as he would attract a fee we would not get at the end of the season. Surely it would be a negative move to let him go now. He had another good game today and the early goal that was disallowed for offside was in fact clearly onside! if that had counted we might have had an absolute hatful.
Praise again is due to Eddy Clarke and I believe in time he will play for England. My only concern is that someone will come in for him in January and a big offer may tempt him away! He must also stay for the time being!
I can't argue with any of the points above, Banks really is a class act, the question is could the likes of Hughes/Wallace/Harris make the same impact, Wallace perhaps, but it depends on how he comes back from injury and he is always going to be a little 'fragile'.
It would be a very bad move to let Cook go in January, it would show a lack of ambition at the club, if anything we should be trying to extend his contract by a year. The strike trio of Cook/Norwood/Jennings is really working fantastically well, its taken a long time but the results don't lie.
Eddie is very good, he does make the occasional error, but he will improve with experience, potential England international, we will see, I don't expect anyone to come in for him in January, he would represent a very speculative punt at this stage in his career.
I thought Cole had a good return to the team.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 23:04
Excellent performance.
Love to hear that Banks signs on for the season (fingers crossed - he's made a massive impact to the side).
Wonderful end to 2017.
Best Wishes to ALL Tranmere Fans around the Globe for 2018, stay safe and Party On....

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 23:28
Brilliant and Connor MoM on our way etc

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 23:44
The hardest bit was getting the first goal. Once that happened,it always looked likely that there would be more. Our patience was very positively rewarded.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 00:26
Quote:
kennyspint
Brilliant and Connor MoM on our way etc

Yes, 5 wins and only 2 points off second with a game in hand.

An excellent result Jennings hitting a vein of form as of late and long may it continue. I hope Mottley-Henry recovers and can return in some way, as he has been a fairly pivotal part of the upturn in form, as has Banks, so both loans have come good and hopefully both will be sustained until the end of the season.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 02:45
That's a good result - having been at the reverse fixture at the beginning of the season I feared the worst at half time. Shame about DMH missing his last 2 games with an injury but on a positive note nice to see Jake finally get back onto the pitch even if only for 10 minutes. He can do something for us as he regains confidence and match fitness. Mike Jackson's comments after the game were also illuminating suggesting that Clarke is now definitely first choice even if Ridelagh is the "best left back in the division." Seen one rumour/ comment elsewhere that Wigan have signed Clarke and loaned him back for the rest of the season. Think that is very unlikely but will be difficult to keep him if he continues to develop as he is. Anyone here heard any such rumours about Clarke?

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 08:07
The lad in front of me in the paddock told me that rumour too add

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 09:44
I was very pleased that Micky Mellon kept the same formation that has brought us so much success in the last few weeks ....I had feared that he might revert to playing Hughes. I thought Cole had a good game considering he hadn't had a game for quite a while.Well done all.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 10:03
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
martyd12
I can't argue with any of the points above, Banks really is a class act, the question is could the likes of Hughes/Wallace/Harris make the same impact, Wallace perhaps, but it depends on how he comes back from injury and he is always going to be a little 'fragile'.
It would be a very bad move to let Cook go in January, it would show a lack of ambition at the club, if anything we should be trying to extend his contract by a year. The strike trio of Cook/Norwood/Jennings is really working fantastically well, its taken a long time but the results don't lie.
Eddie is very good, he does make the occasional error, but he will improve with experience, potential England international, we will see, I don't expect anyone to come in for him in January, he would represent a very speculative punt at this stage in his career.
I thought Cole had a good return to the team.

Banks is far a better footballer than Hughes, Harris. Wallace is the only one with potential to match him dependant on fitness which lets be honest looks unlikely he has spent his whole career on the physios table.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 10:51
Wallace is due to start contact training today. It's still going to be a long way off and I still stand by he was a poor signing. No doubt we need to try and keep Banks. But for the time being life's good and who'd have thought it, a month ago we couldn't buy a goal.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 12:23
Rumors, schumors. Some cannot live without 'em. Best wait for official notification.

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 15:36
We should do all we can to keep Eddie as he is a class act. They couldn't cope with our football on the floor once the first goal went in. The midfield trio Jennings, Norburn and Banks were all on the money yesterday. Norburn with his changes of direction and Banks in particular. Cole links well but looks like he needs a bit more confidence to make things happen. Loving our football at the moment.

Happy New Year to all Rovers fans wherever you may be.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 00:45
Quote:
Kennel
I was very pleased that Micky Mellon kept the same formation that has brought us so much success in the last few weeks ....I had feared that he might revert to playing Hughes. I thought Cole had a good game considering he hadn't had a game for quite a while.Well done all.
I thought he was excellent- doing what Dylan did in attracting defenders leaving space elsewhere and also causing damage himself.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 01:30
The team is playing very well which is why some past posters have gone awol. Some of the football has been excellent. Micky has stuck to his vision. it demonstrates that one or two players can make all the difference. Long may those posters be absent.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 08:08
Well said mate, its easy to find fault but a lot harder to build something from scratch . Today will be a test fylde looked good at pp going forward but we can deffo get at their full backs , i might be tempted to give kirby a run on the right ( yes i know before you say it) gethim cutting in and shooting at what looked a really dodgy keeper at prenton .

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 09:11
Whilst enjoying our current form and the positivity it creates, there's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty if and when we don't hit these heady heights. It is after all a forum, a place for debate and opinion, and not a friendly, back-slapping Utopia (even though it feels like it at the moment!). Equality and diversity reigns! We love you Goosed!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 10:17
Quote:
853OKG
The team is playing very well which is why some past posters have gone awol. Some of the football has been excellent. Micky has stuck to his vision. it demonstrates that one or two players can make all the difference. Long may those posters be absent.
yes it's been a pleasure reading mostly positive posts.long may it continue

MESSAGES->author

01 January, 2018 16:27
Quote:
sparky100
HKR, don't put the jinx of MOM on MM! Look what's happened in seasons past!!!!

u are right sparky, I should've kept quiet.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 08:31
At 10 to 5 on Saturday I had a sense of warmth and happiness that results in a lovely feeling of wellbeing. If you could bottle it up and sell it you would make a fortune.

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 10:04
Roger, the reason you would make a fortune from selling your "Bottle" is that the contents had the right ingredients. By taking Eddie out of the bottle for the Fylde match changed the taste,now we don't like it as much! Advice to MM...stay with the recipe that has brought us so much success in recent weeks.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 23:51
A bit difficult when one player was been slightly injured and went back to his parent club and he certainly won't be able to do as you request, now the main keeper is crotched, err I mean crocked.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net