football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Fylde (H)
26 December, 2017 10:19
Positivity is a very important commodity if success and achievement is your goal in anything, and it certainly feels like this is with us at the moment. Recent results have certainly created this but the Sutton game in particular has given us a massive shot in the arm. Not only did we play well and score some great goals but our rivals dropped points at the same time, allowing us to claw back some ground.

As well as all those facts though, the words of Sutton manager Paul Doswell in his after match press conference are well worth a listen. He doesn't deal in cliches and sound bites but instead goes for straight talking, so his comments about our qualities and strengths ring true. And they also betray what opposition managers must think about us even if they don't admit it in public.

So we head into two home games brimming with confidence and also with huge competition for places. We are winning games with key players still sidelined and everyone is stepping up to the mark at the moment.

Fylde will provide good opposition today because they have made a good fist of their first campaign at this level. Also Dave Challinor is a young manager showing promise and sound tactical thinking so they will be well set up against us.

But we should be targeting a win today, and in every home game we play, which is a very achievable goal.

We exist in an era of multimedia that magnifies positives but negatives more so. I love listening to (and participating in) radio phone ins, trawling through Twitter for Rovers info and also being actively involved on sites like this. Listening to othernopinions is great and responding to them is very healthy indeed.

But let's not be our own worst enemy and allow too many negative gripes to get too much airtime. The rest of the league know we are coming now and are aware of the danger we pose. Let's keep that feeling bubbling and roar the team back into contention.

See you all later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 08:53 by mini_andy.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Fylde (H)
26 December, 2017 10:53
Rowe will be a massive problem today mcnulty and suttons lack of manoeuvrability will be a problem against him.

Fyldes full backs are poor so i can see us getting plenty of space down the flanks i would be tempted to push banks on when we attack from wide his height will be useful, maybe get norburn to sit in when he pshes on...

Three one rovers

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 10:57
Positivity is definitely the order of the day. Massive win at Sutton and our confidence should be sky high. Going for a 2-0 win for the Rovers; only downside is that we have a couple of extra family members attending who, in the past, have not witnessed us at our best; here's hoping that changes today!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 11:14
2-0 boxing day tradition since Aldo's double against Oldham

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 11:22
2-0 win.No problem.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 12:16
Quote:
Kenny_Crons
Positivity is a very important commodity if success and achievement is your goal in anything, and it certainly feels like this is with us at the moment. Recent results have certainly created this but the Sutton game in particular has given us a massive shot in the arm. Not only did we play well and score some great goals but our rivals dropped points at the same time, allowing us to claw back some ground.
As well as all those facts though, the words of Sutton manager Paul Doswell in his after match press conference are well worth a listen. He doesn't deal in cliches and sound bites but instead goes for straight talking, so his comments about our qualities and strengths ring true. And they also betray what opposition managers must think about us even if they don't admit it in public.

So we head into two home games brimming with confidence and also with huge competition for places. We are winning games with key players still sidelined and everyone is stepping up to the mark at the moment.

Fylde will provide good opposition today because they have made a good fist of their first campaign at this level. Also Dave Challinor is a young manager showing promise and sound tactical thinking so they will be well set up against us.

But we should be targeting a win today, and in every home game we play, which is a very achievable goal.

We exist in an era of multimedia that magnifies positives but negatives more so. I love listening to (and participating in) radio phone ins, trawling through Twitter for Rovers info and also being actively involved on sites like this. Listening to othernopinions is great and responding to them is very healthy indeed.

But let's not be our own worst enemy and allow too many negative gripes to get too much airtime. The rest of the league know we are coming now and are aware of the danger we pose. Let's keep that feeling bubbling and roar the team back into contention.

See you all later.

If only all opposition managers were as refreshingly honest and straight[forward] as Mr Doswell......

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 12:18
Thanks for the round up. I was also impressed by the way Paul Doswell spoke - I wish other managers would be as straight and honest. Bonus today - if a ball goes into Borough Road, Dave Challinor will be able to throw it back, no problem!

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 14:39
The Sutton official highlights commentator was very complimentary about Tranmere. And as I mentioned previously, Leyton Orient are doing us a favour against Dagenham.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 14:56
2-0.

D&R just lost, c’mon rovers!!!!!

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 17:39
Brilliant result. Can’t comment on the performance, but the points are all that matter!

Up to 6th now. I still think we’ll be top 3 by January 2nd

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 17:54
Excellent result. Things are definitely looking much better. Macclesfield may take some catching (I'd always rather have the points than a game in hand) but it could still be done and I'm really hoping my earlier pessimism will be proved wrong. Seems like we have a settled side now and, although we still lack creativity, we're finding ways of winning games and scoring a few goals - goal difference is looking good now.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 18:02
Great game from both sides today. I thought Fylde looked really dangerous and a point up at their place will be a good result. Really need to keep hold of Banks until the end of the season, think he and Norburn are making the difference in the middle. Dmh gone off the boil somewhat. Top by end of January!

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 18:32
Quote:
mini_andy
Brilliant result. Can’t comment on the performance, but the points are all that matter!
Up to 6th now. I still think we’ll be top 3 by January 2nd

I think there were some tired legs out there but the quality of the goals was great.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 18:41
Macclesfield play Sutton on Saturday, so at least one team above us will drop points.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 19:07
Start of second half we were woeful. Big Mac heading back across the 6 yard box. Numerous chances for them. Another team could and would of punished us. There keeper was rubbish and should have save 3 of our goals.

All said fantastic 3 points, but don't think the score line reflects the game. We need to be better in the reverse fixture. Don't mean to be negative, and I'm happy, but can't help thinking it could have been totally different.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 19:09
I think now Rovers are on a run with plenty of confidence regained in the team, by Easter they will be top of the league.
Let me know at Easter, you heard it here first. thumbs down

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 19:10
3am here and just arrived back at home, missed tonights commentary, my pal threw a boxing day party and have arrived home well oiled n a bit worse for wear lol..great result for rovers get in, onwards n upwards, just need macc to start putting in a few indifferent performances n dropping points and then hopefully we will be right up there. looking good now chaps. anyway, off to bed now to sleep off all this xmas excess. merry xmas n happy new year, have checked all tonights results in blurred double vision lol, chester seem to be going from bad to worse.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 19:39
Decent enough performance and a deserved win Fylde played far better second half and after their first goal we were a shambles for 10 to 15 minutes particularly defensively.

Danny Rowe was kept quiet for most of the game except for one shot which hit the bar, although I don't know if Scotty got a touch.

It wont be an easy rematch but, if we kept our shape we will score goals against them. Fylde's goalkeeper must be the smallest I have seen in many years and defensively (apart from the left back who kept DMH quiet) they are suspect.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 20:12
Quote:
aktrfc
Start of second half we were woeful. Big Mac heading back across the 6 yard box. Numerous chances for them. Another team could and would of punished us. There keeper was rubbish and should have save 3 of our goals.
All said fantastic 3 points, but don't think the score line reflects the game. We need to be better in the reverse fixture. Don't mean to be negative, and I'm happy, but can't help thinking it could have been totally different.

But it wasn't ;o)

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 20:15
One of the most enjoyable matches of the season. We scored our goals at the right times[particularly the third and fourth].If it had gone to 3-2 ,it could well have been panic stations. Fylde were way better than their league position suggests-played some great football in the second half. Their left back particularly impressed me-had DMH on toast and still found time to get forward regularly and cause us problems. DMH was actually better defensively than offensively today.

Sutton and Jennings were our two best players but everyone put in a shift.It's rare that we have a such a good win in front of a good crowd[6669?]hope they all come back.

We need to beat Guiseley on Saturday as,judging by today,New Years Day could prove to be a very difficult game.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 20:16
Thought that was a superb performance today and Fylde looked a very decent side who will cause problems for a lot of teams in this league.

We were dominant first half but I was wondering where the goal was coming from and then Richie Sutton pops up with a double which we deserved.

We tended to play down the left with Eddie Clarke and Connor Jennings and DMH wasn't fed like he should have been although their number three was no mug.

Norwood and Cook had a decent partnership going and Nors' tenacity got the third and fourth teed up for Connor but DMH was very involved in the fourth down the right when he got his chance to run at the full-back.

Some daft heading decisions at the back by Clarke and Steve put us in trouble but apart from that and their stupid goal we were pretty comfortable.

Onwards and upwards... only question was that if we had got a penalty, 4-1 up with five minutes to go would you give it to Richie Sutton or Connor Jennings for their hat-tricks?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 20:18
Quote:
aktrfc

We weren't so much woeful as they were really good. They came out pressed, and got on the front foot and used the flanks well making it really difficult. They are a really good side whose league position similar to ours doesn't reflect their squad, a bit of naivety has cost them this season. The fact Cup games show they are better against footballing teams

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 20:43
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
aktrfc

We weren't so much woeful as they were really good. They came out pressed, and got on the front foot and used the flanks well making it really difficult. They are a really good side whose league position similar to ours doesn't reflect their squad, a bit of naivety has cost them this season. The fact Cup games show they are better against footballing teams

+1

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Fylde match
26 December, 2017 19:42
Played well and deserved the win.The Kop are getting very hopeful with their singing.Let's hope they are right.Macclesfield are the team to overhaul.Here's hoping ! SWA
P.S. Little lad one row in front went to the toilet twice during the Maidstone game.Both times we scored. He went again today and Sutton scored.We found it funny.Perhaps he should be a mascot.!!!!😃😃😃😃😃

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 21:29
A cracking result and being in the playoffs is a big plus right now. Macclesfield have a decent lead but as pointed out, with a game in hand and them still to play, the race for the title could just take an interesting turn where Tranmere are concerned and Jennings getting 3 in 2 is on a bit of a hot one and perhaps he is spurred on by the potentially imminent return of Wallace, in an attempt to well and truly nail his colours to mast and say nobody not even Wallace will dislodge me from that starting lineup.

I had reasons to doubt Mellon 2 months ago, as he wasn't achieving the kind of league position I believe Tranmere had the capability to achieve, but I am more heartened now and feel more assured about my decision not to turn my back on him.

However winning vital games against those around Tranmere in the table is a must and they are capable, so the next 2-3 games should be interesting.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

26 December, 2017 21:34
Im gonna be the negative nellie lads and i apologise in advance , but did jeff hughes look as inneffective as he was before he got injured. Half hearted tackles and pointless 5 yard passes .

Sorry everyone

MESSAGES->author

27 December, 2017 11:11
Just been having a look at the full NL table, current form table n the home and away tables.. see that rovers now sit in first place in the home table but a lowly 13th in the away table. Hope for a few away wins in january coz 80% of rovers january games are away from home.. also seems as if the bottom 4 in the table are becoming adrift.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

27 December, 2017 15:10
We are now scoring goals and yet defensively sound which can only help away form. The sobering thought for me is that our mini revival is aided by a number of loan players made possible because we have been able to off load some our own on loan
Our loanies are doing well in contrast Alabi, Waring, and Mangan are bench warming. Because of form, the former group could be recalled by their clubs and those contracted to us sent back.

It is this uncertainty that makes it difficult to predict where we will finish. It also suggests that those that argued that all the trio needed was a chance to play could be wrong , as they have made little impact whilst away

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

27 December, 2017 15:39
Quote:
DevonExile
We are now scoring goals and yet defensively sound which can only help away form. The sobering thought for me is that our mini revival is aided by a number of loan players made possible because we have been able to off load some our own on loan
Our loanies are doing well in contrast Alabi, Waring, and Mangan are bench warming. Because of form, the former group could be recalled by their clubs and those contracted to us sent back.

It is this uncertainty that makes it difficult to predict where we will finish. It also suggests that those that argued that all the trio needed was a chance to play could be wrong , as they have made little impact whilst away

I think the only one we would miss is Banks, DMH has been ok but his final ball is poor, he made a big difference at first as he has good pace which we lacked at the time, not saying he’s been poor just not irreplaceable, Tollit will be back soon and Kirby is getting fit, both can do a similar job for us.

MESSAGES->author

27 December, 2017 16:34
Macclesfield n Sutton utd sit on top of the away form table, Macc with an excellent 8 away wins and Sutton with 7 ( both of those sides away form/results has been better than their home form/results ) Rovers have only won 3 away from home so far this season in the NL and as the kav recently pointed out in another post, 2 of those 3 away wins have come on the plastic, so come on rovers, lets start winning away on the real stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2017 16:34 by hong kong rover.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

27 December, 2017 20:35
This team is capable of being a promotion side i feel. Did anyone else spot the arm/handball in the first half? - the ref/linesman was blind to it again - what a waste these jokers are. Hope MM manages to retain/sign all players for the remainder of this season - financial income must be an advantage now (crowd was 6,993 I understand), plus return of injuries Tollitt, Kirby, Wallace etc & Gumbs, Duggan, Clarke in the squad together with Pillings, Harris, Cole etc provide excellent 'cover' (think Ridehalgh, McEveley, Waring, Dunn, Mangan & Rokka would be better off w'with other clubs' - no room at the Inn senario now I feel). Last years situation of not taking any/few points from the top sides put to bed with the Sutton & Macclesfield away games now history. I feel the fans are starting to have a new belief in the SWA again.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

28 December, 2017 20:55
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
DevonExile

I think the only one we would miss is Banks, DMH has been ok but his final ball is poor, he made a big difference at first as he has good pace which we lacked at the time, not saying he’s been poor just not irreplaceable, Tollit will be back soon and Kirby is getting fit, both can do a similar job for us.
DMH put in a cross in for both Connor's goals. (Yeah Yeah first cross deflected). Dylan and Eddie are multiple marked- we get goals. Go figure

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

28 December, 2017 23:38
Quote:
kennyspint
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
DevonExile

DMH put in a cross in for both Connor's goals. (Yeah Yeah first cross deflected). Dylan and Eddie are multiple marked- we get goals. Go figure
DMH and Eddie were keeping a player occupied when they didn't have the ball and created space for other players. What was very impressive in the game was the way Cook/Norwood/Jennings are playing off each other, something I only picked up watching the highlights was that Norwood had a hand in three of the goals. As for the loan players, a lot depends who is back from injury, Tollitt or Kirby can certainly do the job DMH has been doing, it would be harder to cover Banks, he seemed to be playing a slightly deeper role similar to Hughes but of the two I would put Banks ahead, Wallace is going to be a bit of an unknown quantity in an ideal world we would keep the loanees to the end of the season.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 16:25
Challinor had clearly done his homework. Set them up to stop DMH and Clarke getting forward. And Nors and Cookie hardly got a look in. Really impressed with their left back Tunnicliffe; and Smith and Rowe up front. Rowe really is quality and it would be a miracle if he doesn't score over both games. But the difference was the finishing. I only really appreciated Suttons first watching the highlights; and Jennings two strikes were superb. More Lincoln than Manchester City. But who cares if we keep scoring 3 and 4 a game.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 18:42
Quote:
roger mellie
Challinor had clearly done his homework. Set them up to stop DMH and Clarke getting forward. And Nors and Cookie hardly got a look in. Really impressed with their left back Tunnicliffe; and Smith and Rowe up front. Rowe really is quality and it would be a miracle if he doesn't score over both games. But the difference was the finishing. I only really appreciated Suttons first watching the highlights; and Jennings two strikes were superb. More Lincoln than Manchester City. But who cares if we keep scoring 3 and 4 a game.

The left back who impressed me was Zaine Francis-Angol

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 19:07
Eddie is a young up and coming player with tremendous potential but, still a lot to learn defensively,

Francis-Angol IMO, is the best left back I have seen in a long while both defensively and offensively.

Eddie needs games to continue his progression but, may need a rest at some point in the season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net