football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Sutton (A)
23 December, 2017 10:46
First apology is for the lateness of this but it is Christmas and I only broke up yesterday, and we didn't even have an early finish (fume).

Second apology is for the brevity of this but it is Christmas and I am sure you all have loads of 'stuff' to do that means there isn't much time to read a length preview.

However, I do want you all to take a bit of time out and consider this - have you ever played on a modern Astro pitch? Your answers to this are entirely relevant to today's game.

Like a lot of us on here, I grew up playing on the old Astro pitches at Bebington Oval and Wirral Tennis Centre. The style of games on these pitches were very fast paced and reacting to the bounce a lot. Very different from playing on grass.

So teams in the 80s and 90s like Luton, Oldham and Preston who had Astro pitches had a massive advantage on their 'plastic' surface. In fact, me and my mates used to call them 'cheats pitches' because of the extra edge it gave the home side.

Modern Astro surfaces are a world away from the old ones with the biggest difference being that they take a stud. But those of you that have played on one should be reporting back that the pace is still quicker and bounce still a factor.

So does this give an unfair advantage to Sutton?

The answer is yes because their players are more suited to it mentally and physically whereas our players may suffer more of an adverse reaction afterwards, and could take a while to settle to the different playing conditions.

But where we are not disadvantaged is in the fact that we like to play football and our players should be relishing the chance to get out and play, without fear of being booted everywhere.

So I am cautiously optimistic about today but still have the prayer mat ready as a back up. A win today might even get the Deadly Submarine website starting to believe we can get there.

Anyway, Speke Retail park is calling to me with enticements of a multitude of earthly delights so I must go.

Happy Christmas to all Rovers fans and fingers crossed for some gift wrapped National League points.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/12/2017 14:57 by mini_andy.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Next up Sutton (a)
23 December, 2017 10:04
My last game of the year today, so I’m going for a tough 1-2 win

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 11:48 by mini_andy.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Next up Sutton (a)
23 December, 2017 10:38
We have already won on the plastic so far this season at Bromley so hoping for the same today. I am going for a 1-1 draw but really hoping we can do better than that and that we will all be singing the jingle bells away song at 5pm.

MESSAGES->author

Re: Next up Sutton (a)
23 December, 2017 11:13
Remembering last season at Sutton when we lost about 3 players to injury that day on their plastic surface, Brabins last game and it was live on BT sport and Mr Palios didn't witness it coz he was in China at the time and we played absolute shite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 11:16 by hong kong rover.

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Sutton (A)
23 December, 2017 12:09
Hoping for a win here the players need to show that the trophy was a blip and get back to looking like the team that will finsih top of the league.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 12:17
Hoping for a win but will be very happy with a point.Happy Christmas all.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 13:27
1-1

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 13:42
Having played on the new style astro and beb oval and various pitches in Liverpool I agree today's pitches are better and not much different to grass apart from the even bounce which should suit the better players.

2-1 away win for me 😊

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 13:51
2 -0 to Tranmere Rovers both goals from Mr Cook.

Keep The Faith

MESSAGES->author

23 December, 2017 14:57
cmon the rovers

MESSAGES->author

23 December, 2017 15:12
yes 1 up

MESSAGES->author

23 December, 2017 15:46
yes back in front

MESSAGES->author

23 December, 2017 16:50
yessssssssss 3-1 up get in rovers well done, jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way, oh what fun......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 16:52 by hong kong rover.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 17:03
None of the top 8 won. Shame aldershot equalised in last minute. Great opportunity to get into playoff positions by Jan 1st.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 17:17
A couple of months ago I wasn't 100% sure i would end up saying this but no one will want to play us right now. Some real momentum going on and title contenders dispatched convincingly.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 17:18
Great result. Let's hope we can keep it going over the holidays.SWA

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 17:46
My macc mate said they would rather sutton had won then us today

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 17:57
There we go a great win I will be there on boxing day so Happy Xmas everyone our first 3 holiday points.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 18:28
Excellent result today 3-1 away, sets up the festive period three games now. Anyone else think the crowd could beat chesters attendance of 7,200 - on Boxing day (my Birthday incidentally). Weather looks positive too...
A Very Happy and Peaceful Christmas to ALL Rovers Faithful, where ever on this planet of ours you happen to be, Cheers.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 18:50
First away game for me today for a while and well pleased with the result especially as we were under the cosh for large periods of the second half. Thought Norwood had a great game,ran his socks off and the back four looked really solid under some heavy pressure. Gifted Sutton's first goal, you could see it coming a mile away but apart from that looked good. Unfortunately a couple of muppets in the away end warranted the attention of the local constabulary and segregation was the result. Hayho, it's Christmas, have a good one everyone.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 19:22
Sounded like some @#$%& idiots bldpoilt our good Name?

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 19:27
What a cracking result. I was nervous going into today after what happened on Monday and them winning at PP and staying up near the top all season. Couldn't listen to the game as I was being dragged around Chester by the Missus and didn't dare check on the score on my phone.

Buxton first goal.... He has been due... I had him for that in the play-off final at decent odds.

Made up.

Merry and peaceful Christmas to all.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 20:33
A brilliant result and performance. Sutton were very direct and had done their homework on certain players, especially Clarke!

First half was decent, but Motley-Henry was poor and Cook very quiet. Second half every player gave a good account of themselves.

MOTM for me was Jennings, he ran his socks off, and scored what I believe will be goal of the season. Can’t wait to see it again tomorrow!

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 20:34
I thought it was a good hard battled win, I don't think anyone had a bad game, I had Jennings as our MOM. There were some fairly committed challenges flying in, but I don't think any resulted in injury, although Cook did go off right at the end with what looked like an ankle injury.
Need to keep the momentum going .

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 21:17
A very good result. Fairly even, hard-fought match, which I think we deserved to win. Apart from their goal (poor defending by us) our defence was pretty solid with McNulty organising well. Can't fault today's work rate, but still reckon we need Wallace and Tollit (or someone) to add vision and creativity. Jennings's goal was excellent.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 21:29
Also to add, the ref was spot on today!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 22:18
Quote:
sparky100
First away game for me today for a while and well pleased with the result especially as we were under the cosh for large periods of the second half. Thought Norwood had a great game,ran his socks off and the back four looked really solid under some heavy pressure. Gifted Sutton's first goal, you could see it coming a mile away but apart from that looked good. Unfortunately a couple of muppets in the away end warranted the attention of the local constabulary and segregation was the result. Hayho, it's Christmas, have a good one everyone.

I wouldn't say we were under the cosh for large periods of the second half.They threw men forward but we created plenty of half chances on the break throughout. They caused us problems on both wings particularly our left but we caused them plenty too. Eddie is very good going forward but has plenty to learn about defending.

The key moments were two great volleys just before half time-Conors' which went in and theirs immediately afterwards which would have been even more spectacular but some heroic 'defender' blocked it.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 22:45
Deserved win. I expect they might have marginally shaded possession but we were better with the ball and created the better chances. After the break they mostly played long ball stuff and, although it gave our defence a good work out, they coped superbly and Scottie hardly had a meaningful save to make. Connor's getting all the praise for a brilliant hit but Buxton's free kick was a peach too. DMH caused them problems and, but for his final ball, we might have scored more.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 December, 2017 23:10
Eif we take max points overs christmas ex will be right their

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 00:05
Thoroughly enjoyable day out made even better by as good a result as we've had all season.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 01:06
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Deserved win.

They did need that Cook goal though just to be sure, as a 1 goal margin in the final few minutes could have been lost, without the right level(s) of due diligence,

Great result though and now within sniffing distance of the playoffs and quite close to 3rd place and good to see that banana skin result in the cup didn't affect form, as it might have done.

Hopefully the form continues and Tranmere will be in a playoff place by January 1st.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 02:37
Delighted by the result - which reflects even worse now on the boys performance at Solihull on Monday night. We 100% should have played a reserve/ youth side in the second game rather than go through the motions as we did - waste of the only opportunity left this season to blood some of the youngsters whilst giving Rokka, McDonagh etc. some game time when the stakes are much lower. MM could have used 4 games in 8 days as an excuse plus 1 1/2 games in 2 days if the FA had the cheek to complain given we were not at fault for the game not being decided on the Saturday. Luckily we picked up no injuries.
If we can get another 2 wins (at least) from the festive period we should be right there given everyone above us aside from D & R and Boreham Wood seems to be treading water. Guiseley is a must win obviously and at least one of the two Fylde games so should be doable. Onwards and upwards!

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 09:31
Now we are cooking on gas. Let's hope all this talk of the imps and cookie is a load of rubbish. Keep the loanies, and who the hell can stop us. 2 x fylde should not be an issue and max points all the way. Merry Christmas one and all.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 09:44
Kenny are you the same tranmere chronie who posted a pic in the car on your way to sutton yesterday?

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 10:42
Quote:
aktrfc
Now we are cooking on gas. Let's hope all this talk of the imps and cookie is a load of rubbish. Keep the loanies, and who the hell can stop us. 2 x fylde should not be an issue and max points all the way. Merry Christmas one and all.

On our day we can beat anyone but as Monday showed we are capable of failing against poor opposition. There is no Lincoln this season and consistency through grounding out results could win this league/

I do not give a dam about entertainment in comparrion to 3 points and woill be quite happy if we win ugly for the rest of the season

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 December, 2017 12:51
When Cook was subbed at the end,he walked slowly off the pitch continually clenching his fist,suggesting that he was very happy with his own and the teams efforts.

MESSAGES->author

24 December, 2017 14:36
have just watched both managers post match interviews from yesterday, thought paul doswell was quite complimentary about rovers and he really praised the quality of rovers goals. will look forward to seeing the goals soon, not yet on you tube or the club website.. its vital that rovers take the maximum 6 pts from the 2 home games over the xmas hols coz January sees rovers playing 5 games with 4 of those away from home.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net