football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Gateshead (A)
17 November, 2017 23:43
The phrase 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water' is a strange one but based on a fairly simple explanation. Apparently, in times gone by the man of the house would get first use of the bath water but the children would have to get in last. By the time the youngest got in, the water would be so black that there was a genuine fear you could lose the child in the murky depths. So the phrase was coined and the rest is history.

We lost a game on Wednesday against championship contenders after pressing the self destruct button, not because we were being outplayed. We then steadied the ship until half time and the reaction in the second half (until they scored again) was impressive.

Changing a winning team is a valid criticism but it's equally true to say the system that was used on Wednesday was the same one used to get the away draw at Peterborough. So while hindsight is a wonderful thing, I am giving the benefit of the doubt on this one.

While we are on the topic of giving people a break, losing three midfielders in one game to injury or suspension is the stuff of nightmares and is nobodies fault. But I am afraid that a finger does need pointing at Jay Harris because 'that's the way he is' does not cut it. We all have character traits that we have to fight or suppress in our jobs in order to be team players (mine is laziness) so Jay has no excuses. He lost control and handed the initiative to the opposition so criticism is due.

But nothing I saw on Wednesday has made me think we should over-react and fear the worst.

The next couple of games have obviously now taken on a greater importance because of the injury crisis and also because of keeping up momentum in the league. Who plays where or comes in on loan is now the $64,000 question so it will be fascinating to see the line up in the north east tomorrow.

Being optimistic is a character trait of mine that I find hard to suppress when talking about the Rovers. But it's not blind optimism that is influencing my writing tonight because losing one game in the cup hasn't made the sky fall in, and convinced me to give up the fight.

Let's ignore Wednesday's result then and refocus our attention on acquiring national league points. We still have a lot of good players available, but Uncle Tom Cobbley and all his mates can play if it gets us a result tomorrow.

Keep the faith.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Gateshead (A)
17 November, 2017 23:58
Hear! Hear! Well said Kenny. Losing one game isn't the end of the world ! But having said that I still think Pilling should be given his chance tomorrow. Hopefully a win but under the circumstances I'd settle for 1-1.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 00:25
The best cure for Wednesday's hangover would be a victory. I'm plumping for a 1-0 win to get back on the wagon and chase my blues away. Anything less and I'll be needing a hair of the dog.

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 00:58
Well Phil I went to see John Mayall and Buddy Whittingham at the Sage in Gateshead on Tuesday night so a forerunner to the blues in the FA Cup on Wednesday night. Having seen the last three league games I'm of the opinion we can get something from this game but we are up against it with players out. Looking forward to going to the game. Big test for the players and Mickey. Gateshead has got to be one of the worst football stadiums I've ever been to. I hope we dont have a repeat of the blues on Saturday night.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 02:34
Quote:
mb53trfc
Well Phil I went to see John Mayall and Buddy Whittingham at the Sage in Gateshead on Tuesday night so a forerunner to the blues in the FA Cup on Wednesday night. Having seen the last three league games I'm of the opinion we can get something from this game but we are up against it with players out. Looking forward to going to the game. Big test for the players and Mickey. Gateshead has got to be one of the worst football stadiums I've ever been to. I hope we dont have a repeat of the blues on Saturday night.

Nice one, John Mayall still kicking around then and doing well, think he is in his eighties now. I saw him in HK about 24 years ago, he played at a place out here called the 'Ko Shan Theatre.' I saw legendary Texas blues guitarist, Johnny Winter about 4 years ago in HK, he passed away the year after, they practically had to wheel him out on to the stage that night, lol. I think he was about 70 yrs old when I saw him but he still played a mean old blues guitar. I miss watching all those great rock n blues guitarists from back home. We get the odd few passing thru HK, but not that many now. In the past ive managed to see Buddy Guy, John Mayall, Mick Taylor, Johnny Winter n Joe Bonamassa in HK, but I rarely get to see any live acts now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2017 04:22 by hong kong rover.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 06:53
With our lack of midfield, I think I’ll settle for a 0-0

EBAWB
EBAWB (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 07:05
Given our midfielder problems, it is likely that we will need to "go long" more often. It is imperative therefore that Cook plays ahead of McDonagh. He is older, wiser and holds the ball up. On a different issue, McEverly should be "rested" for everybody's sake including his own.

Every ball's a white ball

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 07:55
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
mb53trfc

Nice one, John Mayall still kicking around then and doing well, think he is in his eighties now. I saw him in HK about 24 years ago, he played at a place out here called the 'Ko Shan Theatre.' I saw legendary Texas blues guitarist, Johnny Winter about 4 years ago in HK, he passed away the year after, they practically had to wheel him out on to the stage that night, lol. I think he was about 70 yrs old when I saw him but he still played a mean old blues guitar. I miss watching all those great rock n blues guitarists from back home. We get the odd few passing thru HK, but not that many now. In the past ive managed to see Buddy Guy, John Mayall, Mick Taylor, Johnny Winter n Joe Bonamassa in HK, but I rarely get to see any live acts now.

Unfortunately, the blues icons I listen to e.g. Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonzy, like our glory days, are long gone. I'm a big believer in a resurgence, hence my prediction and need of a victory today. After Wedenesday I had the "National Defense Blues" and tonight I'm hoping it'll be "I Feel So Good" and "Good Liquor Gonna Carry Me Down"!

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 08:07
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
mb53trfc

Unfortunately, the blues icons I listen to e.g. Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonzy, like our glory days, are long gone. I'm a big believer in a resurgence, hence my prediction and need of a victory today. After Wedenesday I had the "National Defense Blues" and tonight I'm hoping it'll be "I Feel So Good" and "Good Liquor Gonna Carry Me Down"!

Nice one phil..hoping its the blues at sundown for gateshead today.

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 11:07
Good write up Kenny Crons, we must push on from here we have the fight skill and ability in the squad to beat all the VNL teams.I think there is great interest in today's team sheet. I don't think many on the forum could pick the team today.
I am going for a Tranmere win.

Keep the Faith

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 11:48
as is in the stats. W5 D2 L1 of last 8. no point in any gloom. and no percentages necessary!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 13:00
1-0 to our lads

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Rde: Next up: Gateshead (A)
18 November, 2017 13:53
Going 2-0 to us .

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 14:19
Davies, Buxton, Sutton, Steve, Rides, DMH, Norburn, Banks, Cole, Cook & Norwood with Pilling, Gumbs, Green, Kay & McDonagh on the bench.

Can't complain with that too much.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 14:38
That's a cracking team. Changing to 4-0.

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 14:57
cmon the rovers.. hope the new loan lads can do a job for us.

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 16:33
cmon rovers, last 10 mins, lets find the net.

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 16:47
@#$%& hell

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 16:47
Well there you go

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 16:53
Time to realise season is done with .

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 16:55
5pts off the last play off place and 10 pts off top spot.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 16:57
Back in the car and on our way home. Nothing really game and no great shock as it could have gone any way. Yes I am one of them fans that departed before the end once they did want we can't and score. Bit pi$$ed YES. Bring on the quotes that true fans stay till the end. Well enough was enough for one week.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:07
Meh

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:20
I think judging Micky, he got the team selection and formation right out of the options he had available.

A very tight game characterised once again by a failure to convert chances. One new concern is a nervous , dodgy Davies, who could have been more commanding to prevent goal.

Banks good acquisition in central midfield to cover.

Don’t think injuries is too big an excuse as players cited like Kirby and Dunn would not be in strongest XI in my opinion.

Don’t think change of manager will make a difference at this stage. Bottom line is we’re a NL side that doesn’t look destined for promotion from what I’ve seen this season

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:32
Listening to the radio it sounded like we were going for it and got hit by a sucker punch. It also sounded like we had the best chances and didn't take them.
Teams that win promotions find a way to pick up points and score crucial goals so you have to give us a cross in that column, at the moment.
But teams that win these games have average performances but it's glossed over by a goal.
Wrexham were rubbish against us and average at best against Chester but won 1-0 both times (via a deflection and a set piece respectively).
So let's all be bitterly disappointed and annoyed at not taking our chances but don't start calling the team for everything because that is unfair.
For the record, I turned the radio off in absolute disgust when they scored and it's taken me a good while to calm down.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:38
Well x mas radio on in the car. What more could you want other than a win

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:42
Quote:
ming05
Time to realise season is done with .
Yes I agree in terms of promotion but it probably was already - all this talk of only x points of a playoff spot sounds great and yes we played well against a very poor Halifax side away in the Cup and at home in the league but too many performances have been poor and despite the supposed upturn in performances before the Posh replay we now have only 7 points from the last 15 in the league and yes other teams are all dropping points but there isn't any hint of consistency. Yes injuries have played a part but that is the nature of football.
Urgent loan signings also eat into the budget whilst Dawson gets paid every week for doing nothing, Wallace for being unfit and costing medical fees plus Kirby (but that I feel is a reasonable thing for the club to have done) whilst we loan out Rokka, Mangan, Alabi, Waring and Gumbs (before loan recall) at I assume less money than we are paying them.
I suspect very shortly now MP will solve all our problems and simply decide enough is enough for this season, try and reduce costs as best he can and focus on simply staying up this season.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:50
Well, plenty of what if again.
Injury time own goal defeat is surely one of the biggest kicks in the teeth in football.
it's all about 7th imo. And that's a big ask at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 17:55
Quote:
hong kong rover
@#$%& hell

Well HKR, I've got the "Hangman Blues" after that! Just waiting for the happy-go-lucky, always look on the bright side of life, statistic manipulating, cheer up it might never happen, sunshine boys appearing to deny my hour of misery.
p.s. also waiting for Goosed to appear from his enforced hibernation to make me appear downright delirious and euphoric!
Another coulda, shoulda, woulda episode ends with us clinging on to the hope that others implode.

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 18:28
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
@#$%& hell

Well HKR, I've got the "Hangman Blues" after that! Just waiting for the happy-go-lucky, always look on the bright side of life, statistic manipulating, cheer up it might never happen, sunshine boys appearing to deny my hour of misery.
p.s. also waiting for Goosed to appear from his enforced hibernation to make me appear downright delirious and euphoric!
Another coulda, shoulda, woulda episode ends with us clinging on to the hope that others implode.

lol,, a few Rovers blues tunes to listen to tonight Phil..

1. This blues song to be played when viewing the current NL table.. I'd rather go blind - Etta James/Christine Mc Vie.

2. This blues song to be played if we are to lose the next 3 NL games on the bounce.. Going Down - Freddie King.

3. This blues song to be played when questioning what the hell is happening to our season.. Whats going on? - Rory Gallagher/Taste.

4. This blues tune to be played when reminiscing about those great Johnny King sides.. The thrill is gone - BB King.

5. This blues tune to be played when it all becomes just too much.. I drink alone - George Thorogood & the destroyers.

MESSAGES->author

18 November, 2017 18:42
Hi Phil, or if u have that great Micky Rourke/Faye Dunaway movie DVD, 'Barfly' stick that on..its the best drinking movie ive ever seen.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 18:43
Give it away .... rhcp

Road to nowhere ...... talking heads

Dont turn away.... whitesnake

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:00
Another Saturday night with Milk and Alcohol. Dr Feelgood

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:25
So not "things can only get better" then, or "oh oh oh it's magic".

Maybe "rip it up and start again", with regards to one or two things Mellon is doing, but only he would know if that's relevant or not.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:34
Quote:
aktrfc
Back in the car and on our way home. Nothing really game and no great shock as it could have gone any way. Yes I am one of them fans that departed before the end once they did want we can't and score. Bit pi$$ed YES. Bring on the quotes that true fans stay till the end. Well enough was enough for one week.

I stayed till the end and it was far more painful than Wednesday. We were the better of two not very good teams[we went for it towards the end and got caught in the most unlucky of manners] What was also painful was that some drunk who stood up near me for virtually all the second half mumbling and shouting often incoherently,kicked me in the side of my left knee and then was adamant that he'd kicked a seat. It was my knee-I know what he kicked. I saw him do it. Also, I was sober,he wasn't.

But Gateshead were pretty awful. We definitely did NOT deserve to lose-should have won.I remember Davies making one decent save low to his left in the first half. Nothing else on target. We were really going for it at the end but **** happens[and did].

Was impressed by our loanee in midfield[apart from him missing an easy chance near the end].He did a good job. Was not impressed with any of our wingers-disappointed particularly with Cole who didn't IMO put himself around much at all in the first half-improved in the second half[difficult not to]when he was more central.

We move on to Macclesfield on Tuesday.

SmartRover
SmartRover (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 21:41
Agree very little between both teams and we had the two big chances to win but yet again failed miserably, quite obvious that watching the game both teams will not be pushing for promotion or even the play offs.
Lots of little flicks and passes from our lads that didn’t come off which to me shows the lads aren’t playing on the same wavelength which is worrying and what got the fans irate was a couple of our players bottling 50/50 challenges. We were pushing for a winner which was positive only for McNulty to give the ball away under no pressure and they break, cross and score. On a bitterly cold day the fans didn’t deserve that. Massive thanks to Buxton and another player who I couldn’t identify to come over and applaud the fans at the end unlike the rest of them.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

18 November, 2017 22:29
Quote:
SmartRover
Agree very little between both teams and we had the two big chances to win but yet again failed miserably, quite obvious that watching the game both teams will not be pushing for promotion or even the play offs.
Lots of little flicks and passes from our lads that didn’t come off which to me shows the lads aren’t playing on the same wavelength which is worrying and what got the fans irate was a couple of our players bottling 50/50 challenges. We were pushing for a winner which was positive only for McNulty to give the ball away under no pressure and they break, cross and score. On a bitterly cold day the fans didn’t deserve that. Massive thanks to Buxton and another player who I couldn’t identify to come over and applaud the fans at the end unlike the rest of them.

I saw the two players heading our way after the final whistle[don't know who the second was]but to be fair to them,the great majority of the fans also were off like a shot[including me-I had a train to catch]. But the real reason in my case was that I was totally speechless that we'd managed to lose so cruelly when we didn't deserve to and couldn't face clapping anything or anybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2017 22:30 by Hoots Mon.

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 00:41
The game had 0-0 written all over it all the way through. Both teams cancelled each other out. We looked more likely to score at the end but then they broke and put in a decent cross which we struggled to deal with. We looked lightweight in midfield and not suprising considering injuries and suspensions but no runners and lack of movement when we had possession in the last third. I thought the new loanee was largely anonymous. No one player stood out on either side. Cook won most headers in the second half but we never got on the end of one. We should have done better.

We are susceptible to conceding in the closing stages and dont take our opportunities when they come along, but whats new.

The only winner was the Rovers fans. We nearly outnumber the home gate in these games. We really need to start making progress against mediocre opposition in this league.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2017 09:03
Quote:
mb53trfc
The game had 0-0 written all over it all the way through. Both teams cancelled each other out. We looked more likely to score at the end but then they broke and put in a decent cross which we struggled to deal with. We looked lightweight in midfield and not suprising considering injuries and suspensions but no runners and lack of movement when we had possession in the last third. I thought the new loanee was largely anonymous. No one player stood out on either side. Cook won most headers in the second half but we never got on the end of one. We should have done better.
We are susceptible to conceding in the closing stages and dont take our opportunities when they come along, but whats new.

The only winner was the Rovers fans. We nearly outnumber the home gate in these games. We really need to start making progress against mediocre opposition in this league.

The last sentence hits the nail on the head; that and disappointing results against current strugglers Chester, Guiseley and Torquay (having attended all three of these games, disappointment was the overriding emotion at the final whistle). The frustrating thing about yesterday's result is that we'd have moved up the table six places if we'd have won and been within touching distance of 7th; that's another problem with us, it's all ifs and buts. We can use all the excuses under the sun, as I'm tempted to do, but it's a results game. Yes, it's not over, but it's frustrating and all of our expectations (well 99.9% of ussmiling smiley) would have been for us to be doing much better than this. The evidence suggests we have gone backwards and not progressed. I still live in hope as, believe it or not, I am an optimist when it comes to Rovers and always believe we'll turn it around; I'll be predicting a bounce back win against Macclesfield. However, we flatter to deceive at times and I question my own optimism and whether I suffer from the malaise of "blind faith" periodically; must visit my GP for a diagnosis, there must be some medication for it! Ah well, off to watch two of my sons play rugby; let's hope they can cheer me up with some positive results with the wrong shaped ball!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

20 November, 2017 20:00
I believe the Gateshead player who crossed the ball for the own goal is claiming it as his. Cheek or desperation?

MESSAGES->author

22 November, 2017 13:23
Quote:
Hoots Mon
I believe the Gateshead player who crossed the ball for the own goal is claiming it as his. Cheek or desperation?

have just seen the highlights show and if the gateshead player is claiming that then he must be having a laugh.. cole should have buried that chance that he hit straight at the gateshead keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net