football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Peterborough (A) FA Cup
03 November, 2017 20:40
When the clocks go back it is always a very strange time of the year. I think it's a bit weird that an arbitrary decision to mess around with the clocks suddenly presses a 'winter is coming' switch and peoples mindset totally changes. I think a similar switch was pressed at Prenton Park on Saturday but in our case it was a 'we are good at footie' one.

It was delight to watch an old fashioned Tranmere performance of wing play and attack minded football. Admittedly it dipped a bit when Norwood went off but they got the bit back between their teeth in the second half, and Mottley-Henry's goal was simply a joy to behold (number 3 son almost did an involuntary stage dive into the Family Paddock when it went in).

Maybe it is a corner turned (apologies) but perhaps it was the first time we have really imposed our style of play on the opposition, and they simply couldn't deal with it. And maybe we finally have the personnel to stretch the game a bit which stops us playing the patient build up we have all come to hate.

With the FA Cup as the next game, I am sure many of us were gnashing our teeth on the way out of the ground last week as a momentum surge in the league was being halted. But over the course of this week, I have softened and I am now looking forward to the game immensely. Clearly the game is going to be a tough one but I have three reasons to offer in an attempt to explain why we should all be looking forward to it:

1. It is a complete 'free hit' as a League 1 play off hunting team should batter us.
2. Their style should allow us a bit of room to play instead of the usual bus parking behaviour of our opponents.
3. That's it.

The Posh were playing Championship football last season and they had a very good win last weekend against Shrewsbury at The New (Gay) Meadow so they will be looking to build on some momentum too. But I would love it, love it if we beat them (sorry) tomorrow as a bit of revenge for the last meeting when they smashed 5 past us. It would also be nice to give Talk Sport a tinkle and tell celebrity Peterborough 'shock jock' Adrian Durham that his boys took one hell of a beating.

So as the days start to shorten and the weather gets colder (I am desperately trying to avoid another Game of Thrones reference here) maybe the Rovers are starting to warm up and will provide plenty of fireworks in their performances from now on. Time is ticking for us to make up lost ground but if we have now synchronised our watches to 'attack' time, then anyone we play should watch out.

Even your mob, Mr Durham.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 06:55 by mini_andy.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Peterborough (A) FA Cup
03 November, 2017 21:48
Love the write up kenny!

I’m going for a healthy 4-2 loss sad smiley

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

Peterborough away
03 November, 2017 18:05
Although they beat Shrewsbury last week I fancy a draw or an injury time winner from McNulty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 22:01 by mini_andy.

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

Re: Peterborough away
03 November, 2017 18:56
Will they play a weakened side? Lets put in a good effort I am hoping for a 2-1 win.

Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 19:25
2-0 to rovers. Norwood penalty and Mc Nulty

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 20:30
We have an awful record against these in the cup.Lost all matches.Time for a change 1-2 SWA

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 22:32
5-0 pboro please be wrong but those games have scarred me.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

03 November, 2017 23:43
The good win last week wasn't at new meadow kenny but nice write up again.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 03:41
Very good win last week ,have we turned the corner ? Not to sure it's always doom and gloom for us at London road I think 3-0 to posh no disgrace just a measure of were we are

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 08:33
Going into it on the back of a little run, posh to play a weakened side. 0-1 to us all day long.

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 09:33
we'll lose (which by my previous means we'll win) but put on a good show until the 4th one goes in. 2-6 à la swansea

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 10:39
A great chance to further bed in the new players against tough opposition before two difficult league games. C'mon Mickey and the lads, win it for the fans.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 12:33
Quote:
chrisprover
Will they play a weakened side? Lets put in a good effort I am hoping for a 2-1 win.
Not according to their manager during an interview for a national newspaper

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 12:33
Quote:
chrisprover
Not according to their manager during an interview for a national newspaper

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 13:01
Oh No! I have predicted that score now so I will stick with it. Cmon Rovers

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 13:34
Going 1-0 to us , McDonough showing his presence in their box and getting us a winner .

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 14:19
Duggan dropped and surprised to see Jake Kirby is on the bench even tho the club's preview said only yesterday he was still be unavailable! Delighted for the lad and altho he has his critics on here it is always good to see someone return from such an injury.

I am feeling strangely confident and think we will give a good account of ourselves today! Going for 1-1.

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 14:27
2 - 2 Sutton and Kirby
Keep the Faith

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 15:01
cmon the rovers

Shaumbra
Shaumbra (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 15:19
We've started well.

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 16:29
cookie equalizer yesss

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 16:53
well done rovers, sounded like we played well and were the better side. do em at prenton now.

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 16:57
No FA Cup magic for Lincoln this season, they lost today and are out.. our turn to reach Quarter finals??

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 17:11
replay at prenton a week on Tuesday, hope there is a chance of it being televised live. non league at home to league opposition, so there will be a chance.

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 17:12
When's the replay?

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 17:13
wirral radio said a week on tuesday

MESSAGES->author

04 November, 2017 17:20
it might be a week wednesday

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 17:21
well done rovers it's good to get it wrong I said 3-0 posh perhaps we are turning the corner .cook shows again why we need to keep him .

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 17:52
It’s a week on Wednesday, 15 November. Very good chance of it being a TV game looking at the other drawn games

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 17:52
Listened in.Seemed to be comfortably the better team.Come on Rovers let's stuff them at PP.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 19:36
Well done Rovers an excellent result.

Lincoln's cup run last year also started with a draw.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 19:47
Brilliant result, and it sounded like we matched them man for man all over the park.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 19:57
We have exorciiiiised the demons! Was listening to it on my walk to treat in-laws, ended up doing three laps of sefton park because I couldn't stop listening.

Let's have them!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 20:52
Great result ! But I wouldn’t choose to describe the clocks going back as ‘and arbitrary decision” Kenny ! Ha

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 21:35
Great result it seems we are now playing to win games cmon Rovers keep it going now lets get some momentum and move up the table.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:03
Great performance today, the whole team turned up and to a man played well, Hughes particularly was outstanding, probably the best game I've seen him play in a while but I wouldn't want to single out any particular player. Some of the play going forward was a joy to watch, so much better than the sideways play that we've been served up in many games this season.
Special call out to the 471 strong SWA made a hell of a noise even at 1-0 down, some entertaining banter with Ricky Millar and the small army of mascots (anyone know what the grey triangle was supposed to be?)

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:23
Quote:
Cybertron
Great performance today, the whole team turned up and to a man played well, Hughes particularly was outstanding, probably the best game I've seen him play in a while but I wouldn't want to single out any particular player. Some of the play going forward was a joy to watch, so much better than the sideways play that we've been served up in many games this season.
Special call out to the 471 strong SWA made a hell of a noise even at 1-0 down, some entertaining banter with Ricky Millar and the small army of mascots (anyone know what the grey triangle was supposed to be?)

Excellent performance by one and all. They were fortunate to get a draw[even their manager said so]but we have to do it all over again a week on Wednesday.We were the better side in the first half-they improved after the break although their creative players contributed little.We were very impressive the way we kept going after going behind.It was well worth the long rail trip[and it WAS long]-after ten when I got back.
Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere. Ricky Miller had a big smile on his face for most of the banter exchange which was good to see,

deathrovers
dr.death (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:25
The grey mascot was the mascot of the stadium a company called abax......still don't know what it was looked like an exclamation mark

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:26
http://www.athene-communications.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/posh-bristol-city-281114-6-200x300.jpg

If you mean this thing, then it looks like some sort of recyclable eco-friendly traffic cone.

As for Hughes he bit his old employers on the backside by setting up Cooks goal, or perhaps too many Cooks spoil the broth but the right amount make it taste nice.

At the very least it's a good money spinning replay and it gives Tranmere the chance to finance one or two loan deals in January if Mellon still wants McDonough and Mottley-Henry and assuming they'd be offered the chance to keep playing for Tranmere, as the replay money might be the difference between extending one instead of none of the deals or both instead of one.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 23:29 by Matt34.

deathrovers
dr.death (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:27
The mascot is a A his name is alviss had to Google it... were was rover?

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

04 November, 2017 23:55
So pleased with this result, thought we could win it. Good karma for upcoming games.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 09:45
Had a look on their site. Made me laugh. They played bad, we a looking at giant killing? Although the are two leagues above us, giants? Really. They average just 1k more attendance than us with a smaller stadium. Against the odds result yes but they are by no means giants of the modern game.

More of the same for the rest of the season and we will all be happy bunnies. Come on rovers.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 10:19
Quote:
dr.death
The mascot is a A his name is alviss had to Google it... were was rover?

Cup tied.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 12:16
Could not make it although I know the team played well due to the lack of comments from one certain poster ;0)

Hopefully, the luck is changing and the form in the league will improve.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 13:19
BBC highlights..

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 13:24
Quote:
aktrfc
Had a look on their site. Made me laugh. They played bad, we a looking at giant killing? Although the are two leagues above us, giants? Really. They average just 1k more attendance than us with a smaller stadium. Against the odds result yes but they are by no means giants of the modern game.
More of the same for the rest of the season and we will all be happy bunnies. Come on rovers.

It's not a literal thing. Non-league teams playing/beating a league team would fit into the category as probably would a championship team beating a premier league side regardless of the size of clubs. In theory, it adds to the romance of the cup and is an attempt to attract more viewers. It might be hard to stomach, but don't dis it as it might earn us a TV showing and revenue for the replay.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 November, 2017 17:20
I noticed one of their advertisers was a company called BadRhino, which turns out to be a men's clothing company.

Not a great name for a company I would suggest.

MESSAGES->author

06 November, 2017 14:43
Ball number 7 in tonights FA Cup draw. who will we get? if we can overcome posh that is? an away tie to those Gloucestershire greenies with their lentil burgers, cow manure powered floodlights and wacky lawnmowers, lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2017 14:53 by hong kong rover.

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 15:23
Thought they used Goats not lawnmowers !!

MESSAGES->author

06 November, 2017 15:30
Quote:
dicko111
Thought they used Goats not lawnmowers !!

lol

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 18:42
Don't forget the llamas.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 18:55
If it comes to it, beware of the vegans. They've won their last four games so we should be filling our pants with organic matter!

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 19:15
Woking or Bury away is we win the replay

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

06 November, 2017 19:33
What chance that the replay will be televised?

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2017 08:18
Quote:
Phil65
If it comes to it, beware of the vegans. They've won their last four games so we should be filling our pants with organic matter!

Lol, 'beware of the vegans' made me chuckle phil.. reminded me of that famous quote from that 1970s tv show 'its a knockout ( international version - jeux sans frontieres )with stuart hall n eddie waring...' Here come the Belgians!!! '

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 08:32 by hong kong rover.

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2017 08:19
Just read on one of Peterboroughs pages that they seem to think it is highly likely it will be televised

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2017 23:05
Announced. It will be televised.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net