football
Latest News:

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

2 new wingers.
27 October, 2017 10:11
Does anyone out there know when our 2 new wingers are signing for us? They were supposed to be playing for us tomorrow! Where's Insider Boy when you want him?

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

Re: 2 new wingers.
27 October, 2017 10:22
Personally, when interviewed, i think MM was winging it

pez
pez (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 10:25
Just said they are hoping to get them over the line in time for tomorrow on Twitter.

I'm guessing there's a cut off time sometime today to sign them up in time for tomorrow's match?

I'd have liked us to secure DMH until the end of the season and bring in A N Other, but I'm guessing Barnsley want him back?

Also, does that mean Rokka and Dunn are surplus to requirements at P.P and if so, that's another 2 of Micky Mellon's Summer signings that have not worked out.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 10:39
Yep, there was no definite commitment to get them in for tomorrow, just that we were aiming/expecting to do so.

They could even possibly sign tomorrow and play in the afternoon. That's what Taylor-Fletcher did when he joined us.

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 14:52
It may not happen as Pat Nevin has TV commitments and Johnny Morrissey can't be located.

Seriously, it'll be interested who we will get.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 14:55
Larnell Cole, ex Man U and Fulham, believed to be one of them according to Radio City's Matt Jones.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 15:48
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Larnell Cole, ex Man U and Fulham, believed to be one of them according to Radio City's Matt Jones.

That would be a good signing, he's a great player!

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 15:52
Quote:
TimmySoft
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

That would be a good signing, he's a great player!
lets wait and see what he can do before we call him a great player he’s 24 and hardly set the world on fire hope your right though are season is turning a tad desperate

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:11
Both signed deals.

What we need ! Just a shame we couldn't have addressed this at the start of the season.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:17
Devarn green from Stourbridge .must of fancied him more than Archer. And cole another of mms exes.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:20
Would have preferred Ricky Miller. Jury is out on these 2 until we see what they can do. Lets hope Cole is better than the rest of Mellons ex's.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:28
Green looks a curious one. Ex Blackburn, then trialled at Cardiff in summer of 2016 then seems to have disappeared altogether for the whole of last season! Signed for Hednesford in August 2017, moved to Stourbridge a month later, then joins us another month later.

Wonder why we didn't get him in the summer.

Anyway, good luck to both lads. As young wingers they'll probably be erratic but so long as they can cause problems for opponents and create some space and service for the strikers I'll be happy enough.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:30
Anyone want to guess the forward line tmrw ?

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 16:38
Same as Tuesday, neither will play, they will both be loaned out in a few weeks 😛

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 17:23
When I saw the name Devarn Green it got me thinking about George Green, the young lad we had on loan in our final season in the footy league. He is now playing for the Norwegian side Viking Stavanger.. an anagram of DEVARN GREEN..NEVER GRANDE.. oh dear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/10/2017 17:29 by hong kong rover.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 18:02
Even if these two end up causing opposition loads of problems and giving loads of service, I’m not convinced at the moment Cook and Norwood can deliver the finishing required.

We all know Norwood’s conversion rate, which seems to be slowly getting worse.

To all the Cook lovers, the cold dose of reality is that he’s not been playing very well.

Can see us struggling for goals again tomorrow

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 19:02
Club website says Rokka and Dunn are injured

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 20:06
Look ok signings but we need someone to actually score ?Norwood works hard but his finishing is pathetic .cook poor at the moment .so we will struggle to score goals till that problem is solved, we are not going anywhere even at Hartlepool we had 2chances in the last few minutes and as usual did not take them ,goals mean points .13goals scored worst in the League not good enough

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 20:56
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Look ok signings but we need someone to actually score ?Norwood works hard but his finishing is pathetic .cook poor at the moment .so we will struggle to score goals till that problem is solved, we are not going anywhere even at Hartlepool we had 2chances in the last few minutes and as usual did not take them ,goals mean points .13goals scored worst in the League not good enough

There is no composure in front of the sticks, a lot of it is confidence, when struggling for goals players try to burst the net, look at the highlights of connors miss, at first he has a wild swing and swipe but the defender gets a touch, then he try's to welly it over the goalie, April last year and he dinks that into the top corner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/10/2017 20:57 by Higgosboots.

EBAWB
EBAWB (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 21:29
Maybe, just maybe, these signings will allow us to create more chances. Can't speak for the last away match but I saw us at Aldershot, Bromley and Maidenhead and the chances created number less than double figures across all three games. This makes any miss even more crucial than normal. If we create more chances, we will score more! It's not rocket science. Just like to say that the vast majority of chances that Norwood fails to take are as a result of his effort and endeavour. No other player misses as many because no other player even remotely creates the chances that he does. Let's hope that these wide players provide the service to our forwards that is currently sadly lacking.

Every ball's a white ball

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 21:51
Yup

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 22:00
Quote:
EBAWB
Maybe, just maybe, these signings will allow us to create more chances. Can't speak for the last away match but I saw us at Aldershot, Bromley and Maidenhead and the chances created number less than double figures across all three games. This makes any miss even more crucial than normal. If we create more chances, we will score more! It's not rocket science. Just like to say that the vast majority of chances that Norwood fails to take are as a result of his effort and endeavour. No other player misses as many because no other player even remotely creates the chances that he does. Let's hope that these wide players provide the service to our forwards that is currently sadly lacking.

+1

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 22:47
Quote:
jonesy792
Both signed deals.
What we need ! Just a shame we couldn't have addressed this at the start of the season.
Why exactly is this what we need?? More shop in potential/ throw away good money after bad?
On paper there is nothing much to recommend either of them. Larnell Cole was loaned out to ICT alst season. As far as I can see he has been without a club since then so he can't possibly be anywhere near match fit and more importantly having been released by Fulham why did nobody else pick him up before now? Oh yes sorry I forgot he played for Shrewsbury when MM was in charge much like that other winger Adam Dawson who is already on a salary having been signed by MM but who has not even got to sit on the bench yet this season!
Devarn Green was signed by Blackburn but never played for them and then went out on loan to Cardiff City and then dropped into regional football. Maybe MM has unearthed 2 hidden gems but I am not holding my breath.
The 2 bright spots on the horizon IMO is Jake Kirby seems closer and closer to a return and even Wallace is apparently back running though I am holding my breath on that one!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

27 October, 2017 23:06
Quote:
Loyden1
Devarn green from Stourbridge .must of fancied him more than Archer. And cole another of mms exes.

Cole has played club and international football around 60 times, so he could be interesting.

Green has played 39 times in premier league 2 apparently and notched up 4 goals and 5 assists, so if he could bring that sort of form to a lower standard of football, which it could be argued that NL is, then he could prove very useful. Although I am not aware of any actual first team football that has been played for any parent club or on loan deals.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

jade-trfc
jade-trfc (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 00:08
Adam Dawson is hardly setting the world alight is he?

Otherwise you would have said he's doing great at Darlington.

99.9% of fans can see we need width in the team, we sign width and it appear we have some who would rather the reserve judgement or complain as they aren't established.

We don't have money for established players, effectively the club is running on very fine margins and unfortunately we are now in the position were we have to hope we unearth gems I.e tollit and Henry rather than getting and established league 2 winger.

The way I look at it is at this level if you have a good winger who's a threat has going to break a leg or similar at some point.

Tollit
Vaughan
Kirby

That's just three last year, so I would rather have potential that could be @#$%& on 300 quid a week that can be loaned out than an established nippy winger on 1.5k a week that gets his leg snapped and out for 6 months that's just my opinion

All I ask is they run at a player Tbh it makes defenders panic at this level

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 07:12
Quote:
jade-trfc
Adam Dawson is hardly setting the world alight is he?
Otherwise you would have said he's doing great at Darlington.

99.9% of fans can see we need width in the team, we sign width and it appear we have some who would rather the reserve judgement or complain as they aren't established.

We don't have money for established players, effectively the club is running on very fine margins and unfortunately we are now in the position were we have to hope we unearth gems I.e tollit and Henry rather than getting and established league 2 winger.

The way I look at it is at this level if you have a good winger who's a threat has going to break a leg or similar at some point.

Tollit
Vaughan
Kirby

That's just three last year, so I would rather have potential that could be @#$%& on 300 quid a week that can be loaned out than an established nippy winger on 1.5k a week that gets his leg snapped and out for 6 months that's just my opinion

All I ask is they run at a player Tbh it makes defenders panic at this level

Your right, they don't have to actually be any good, just posses a bit of speed and a willingness to run at people. Motley-Henry has shown that, he's not the most gifted of footballers but every time he gets the ball he wants to run at someone and play it forwards, been a revelation, can only assume Barnsley aren't keen to let us keep him.

jade-trfc
jade-trfc (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 08:03
Which is strange because he is fa cup tied aswell now

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 10:18
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
jonesy792
Both signed deals.
Why exactly is this what we need?? More shop in potential/ throw away good money after bad?
On paper there is nothing much to recommend either of them. Larnell Cole was loaned out to ICT alst season. As far as I can see he has been without a club since then so he can't possibly be anywhere near match fit and more importantly having been released by Fulham why did nobody else pick him up before now? Oh yes sorry I forgot he played for Shrewsbury when MM was in charge much like that other winger Adam Dawson who is already on a salary having been signed by MM but who has not even got to sit on the bench yet this season!
Devarn Green was signed by Blackburn but never played for them and then went out on loan to Cardiff City and then dropped into regional football. Maybe MM has unearthed 2 hidden gems but I am not holding my breath.
The 2 bright spots on the horizon IMO is Jake Kirby seems closer and closer to a return and even Wallace is apparently back running though I am holding my breath on that one!

seems MM is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He is trying to address the goal scoring issue, and he has worked with Cole for an extended period at Shrewsbury so he knows what he can do. How about we just wait and see what they can do?

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 10:34
These two wingers are needed because of the recent injury to Ben Tollitt and the possible return of Mottley Henry to Barnsley.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 11:40
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
jonesy792
Both signed deals.

You’ve clearly not been to many games this season. We desperately need attacking width. When motley henry went off at Aldershot , we had nothing like for like.

You also need a reality check I’m afraid. We’re in non league, we have to shop at potential ! And as a result you can’t always get it right.

And Kirby coming back is hardly a bright spot to hold on to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, incl the right to defend it

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 11:54
As for the dammed if he does or does not. It is the consequence of so many poor signings and the record of these two hardly looks impressive. Hopefully, they will be ok but it looks more like desperation than the acquisition of players that one could imagine rivals wishing that they had signed them.
My trust in MM judgement is rock bottom and it is more a question of wait and see then any expectation

pez
pez (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 12:33
Imo if these two signings flop, then that could spell the end for Mellon.

Hes now had more time than most others would get, and hes even been allowed to recruit even more players after signing dross over the Summer break.

These two could be the last throw of the dice as far as Mellons tenure is concerned, that makes me think they could well be half decent.

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 13:17
Cole on bench along with Cook. McDonagh who hasn’t looked bothered starts. Maybe MM knows something from training we don’t but there will be an even bigger backlash than usual I suspect if we don’t win this one. Could be genius from the tinker man or it could be his last game

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2017 13:30 by DCTRFC.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 15:25
Quote:
DCTRFC
Cole on bench along with Cook. McDonagh who hasn’t looked bothered starts. Maybe MM knows something from training we don’t but there will be an even bigger backlash than usual I suspect if we don’t win this one. Could be genius from the tinker man or it could be his last game

Easy to be an armchair expert nowadays ;0)

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 16:25
Quote:
DevonExile
As for the dammed if he does or does not. It is the consequence of so many poor signings and the record of these two hardly looks impressive. Hopefully, they will be ok but it looks more like desperation than the acquisition of players that one could imagine rivals wishing that they had signed them.
My trust in MM judgement is rock bottom and it is more a question of wait and see then any expectation

Cole less than a game per goal, stats speak for themselves. He's the player we've been crying out for, finds the little pockets of space between the defenders and quick.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

28 October, 2017 21:47
Quote:
DCTRFC
Think the tinker man is safe for a while!!
Fair play today he went with McDonagh and he was excellent. So let's get this season moving and finally get a settled team. MM putting on Cole rather than Cook so early showed he and Cook for whatever reason seem to be history so let's focus on keeping DMH for as long as we can, extend McDonagh and build them plus Norwood and Cole as he gets fitness levels up as our cutting edge and stick with it.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2017 20:13
Alternatively he might have felt that Cole represented a more like for like alternative to Norwood than Cook, so then he wouldn't have to slightly re-jig his system accommodate him.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

31 October, 2017 14:02
Something that did strike me as a little strange was that Cole is on a contract to January 2018...

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

31 October, 2017 14:21
Is he under contract at Man Utd / Fulham .Did we sign Green on a permanent basis ?

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

31 October, 2017 14:51
Green we paid for not sure bout cole

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

31 October, 2017 15:11
Looks like Cole was on loan at ICT and then left Fulham at the end of the season ,so not sure why is only on loan till Jan 18

pez
pez (IP Logged)

31 October, 2017 17:20
Quote:
dicko111
Looks like Cole was on loan at ICT and then left Fulham at the end of the season ,so not sure why is only on loan till Jan 18

He's not on loan, he's on a short term contract until January.

Makes sense really because we didnt know if he was any good and we'd most likely have to move someone on to free money to pay him.

He's probably being paid out of the savings being made by Alabi being at Dover?

Would imagine if Cook, Dawson, Mangan or Waring move on in January, we may well offer him a longer contract?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

01 November, 2017 00:07
alternatively Tranmere might have some added finance from cup and league games and cup prize money to keep him on whatever happens, because signing him until January, would be fine if he didn't work out, but the downside is, if he turned out like so far he seems to be a player who could really make an impact then you have to let him go because you can't afford him, then the short term deal becomes a shot in the foot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net