football
Latest News:

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

If you were Micky.............
25 October, 2017 11:39
Who would you blow the budget on to try and sort out our goal scoring problem.
Loan signing to Christmas, realistic choices only, so no Messi Kane etc
My Choice
Ricky Miller, not even making the bench regularly at a very poor posh side, c'mon Mr Palios you know it makes sense.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

Re: If you were Micky.............
25 October, 2017 12:28
What budget? I thought we had spent it all ages ago?

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 13:57
I would resign and save the club money and open p the prospect that the strikers that are here could be better serviced. Endless rotations of strikers is just producing the same outcomes and will do so given how we set up

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 15:00
I would play Drysdale with Sutton
Clarke at LB,push Rides up
play Norburn with Harris
Cook and Jennings up top

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 15:17
Get Aldo n Muiry down to solar campus for training sessions with our strikers. or even better let them play as our new strike force

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2017 15:19 by hong kong rover.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 16:19
Quote:
stairwaytoheaven
Who would you blow the budget on to try and sort out our goal scoring problem.
Loan signing to Christmas, realistic choices only, so no Messi Kane etc
My Choice
Ricky Miller, not even making the bench regularly at a very poor posh side, c'mon Mr Palios you know it makes sense.

I would have him and Cookie up front in a heart beat!

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 17:07
Quote:
DevonExile
I would resign and save the club money and open p the prospect that the strikers that are here could be better serviced. Endless rotations of strikers is just producing the same outcomes and will do so given how we set up
Funny...

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 17:12
Quote:
stairwaytoheaven

Don't tell me he's still in Steeeeeeeve's pocket?! Saying that, watch him knock us out of the cup now....

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 17:19
Quote:
iagoapcen
play Norburn with Harris
Cook and Jennings up top
Interesting... I have said it before but I don't care if Drysdale refused to sign a professional contract for whatever reason. Some seem to think that should automatically exclude him but I don't see why - the fact is he is still turning up and playing for the Youth every week. The fact is we thought he was good enough for a contract so go and play him. McN will likely be out Saturday due concussion so a perfect opportunity.

General point but the treatment of our youth is shocking with MM in charge. Gumbs played well, dropped and then sent on loan so not even getting the benefit of being with the squad. Clarke played great and then gets dropped not just from the team but the bench as well. Duggan being brought in and then dropped and then played again etc. with no chance to get regular game time to cement a place.

So if I were MM I would give Youth a chance - after all the one game when we played the Youth in the first team they won at Maidstone - so they have a 100% record smiling smiley

pez
pez (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 18:35
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
iagoapcen
play Norburn with Harris
Cook and Jennings up top
Interesting... I have said it before but I don't care if Drysdale refused to sign a professional contract for whatever reason. Some seem to think that should automatically exclude him but I don't see why - the fact is he is still turning up and playing for the Youth every week. The fact is we thought he was good enough for a contract so go and play him. McN will likely be out Saturday due concussion so a perfect opportunity.

General point but the treatment of our youth is shocking with MM in charge. Gumbs played well, dropped and then sent on loan so not even getting the benefit of being with the squad. Clarke played great and then gets dropped not just from the team but the bench as well. Duggan being brought in and then dropped and then played again etc. with no chance to get regular game time to cement a place.

So if I were MM I would give Youth a chance - after all the one game when we played the Youth in the first team they won at Maidstone - so they have a 100% record smiling smiley

It could be that Drysdale isn't registered or that the club has an agreement with a potential buyer not to get him injured until the window opens again?

I'm sure if it was a simple case of just slotting him in there, they would have at least put him on the bench by now?

Drysdale could bring in a few welcome coffers should he move on in January, so it's understandable that they don't want him getting crocked between now and then.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 18:46
He should resign and go before he does anymore damage

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 21:11
Advise him to apply for the Everton job.😀

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 21:30
If I was micky . . .I'd ignore all the past criticism take note of last nites set up and use the last half hours performance as a positive sign and kick on up the league starting Saturday.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 22:13
Quote:
Loyden1
If I was micky . . .I'd ignore all the past criticism take note of last nites set up and use the last half hours performance as a positive sign and kick on up the league starting Saturday.

If only it was that simple?

Its not going to happen because the rot has already set in.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 22:49
Quote:
pez
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
iagoapcen
play Norburn with Harris
Cook and Jennings up top

It could be that Drysdale isn't registered or that the club has an agreement with a potential buyer not to get him injured until the window opens again?

I'm sure if it was a simple case of just slotting him in there, they would have at least put him on the bench by now?

Drysdale could bring in a few welcome coffers should he move on in January, so it's understandable that they don't want him getting crocked between now and then.
Pez no need to give MM the benefit of the doubt as after all if he ever thought about the risk of players getting crocked no way he would ever have ever even considered signing Wallace again on a 2 year contract and then having slept on it still signed him!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 23:38
If I were him I wouldn't blow any budget gleaned from cup incomes and loan wages, plus some of the retained gate money from the first half of the season on another striker.

Make the current strikers become more proactive and also bolster the service, by bringing in a goal scoring midfielder like Joshua Hancock who is currently playing in the NPL with Altrincham and they are top, partly because he has scored 11 goals, so he would represent a potentially good investment and even if he scored just over half as many, a player scoring around 6 in 18 is no bad thing, as you'll still get 15-16 league goals in a season from a midfielder.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 02:10
well if you look at goals conceded and goals scored it doesn't take a genius to work out what's holding us back.

18 wins last season by one goal, fine lines. Those lines were swinging in our favour In my opinion due to the presence of an in form striker. We didn't pull up any trees, We didn't play off your seat football we were pretty much the same as we were under Brabin. We just simply managed to turn narrow draws and defeats into narrow wins.

whether or not Tranmere Rovers should be walking such fine lines in this league is a big question

This season it's turned full circle again and the narrow wins have turned back into narrow defeats and draws.

Reasons, not as simple as some make out but theories are plenty.

Micky has been struck down with 'uselessness'. A very common ailment in the managerial world.

Player fall outs.

lack of pace

lack of width

training methods

etc, etc, etc.

for what's it's worth here's my theory.

1. our defense is not as good as some may think. Yes we are usually at the top if the goals conceded chart but this may be a little misleading. Since we've been in this league teams tend to play defensive against us wait till we get frustrated and lose focus and hit us on the counter.
If teams attack us we look flaky and often we fall to pieces.

2. Since we've been in this league our midfield has never been settled. it's a constant merry go round. the defenders don't link with it well. the strikers don't link with it well. When we get chance to break it doesn't know wether to stick or twist.
I'd go as far to say we are extremely poor on the break and it's cost us countless times.

3. None of the strikers are showing great form and this is crucial. Our best goalscorer by a mile has been constantly overlooked for pretty much anyone who Mellon can call on. I'm almost certain if Alabi had hit the ground running Cook wouldn't of got a sniff and been 3rd choice at best.

4. We love width. Mellons own words. so were is it ?. The recruitment wouldn't instantly tell you we love it. The overlooking of Dawson and Rokka in a team that supposedly loves width does raise questions. And of course we all know about the stupid amount of crosses into the box but we also know our midfield offers nothing in the way of an aerial threat and the only player that does offer a genuine aerial threat is on the bloody bench.

of course we could just be @#$%&.

what would I do. well I'm not a football manager but I know who our best players are and were they are most effective. and that's were I'd start.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/10/2017 08:35 by 2 the moon.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 06:03
I would change my name by Deed Poll to a more delicious fruit. Micky Bannana or perhaps Micky Avocado.

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 06:55
lol

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 07:34
Good one Tranmerefan .we could make him sound posh Micky -gone - Bannanas , hyphenated is all the rage these days in the football world

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 10:06
I would be on the phone to Liverpool and looking to give Rhian Brewster a few games after the U17 World Cup. He's averaging nearly a goal a game for England U17, which isn't a great indication of ability, but shows he's the best 17 year around at the moment. 3-months with us might be what makes him next season's Rashford.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 10:55
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Good one Tranmerefan .we could make him sound posh Micky -gone - Bannanas , hyphenated is all the rage these days in the football world

Micky bad apple if results worsen and we find ourselves in a relegation scrap.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 13:13
Just picking up on Iagoapcens post. On the way home from Hartlepool I was thinking that a left footer would have scored the chance that fell to Jennings in the last minute and that a Clarke/Ridehalgh combination down the left would give us more balance. Anyone remember the 4-1 at Gateshead when Rides was played in an advanced role and set up the first three goals?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 20:04
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
I would be on the phone to Liverpool and looking to give Rhian Brewster a few games after the U17 World Cup. He's averaging nearly a goal a game for England U17, which isn't a great indication of ability, but shows he's the best 17 year around at the moment. 3-months with us might be what makes him next season's Rashford.

There no good at this level mate, have you seen the pitches they play on, there not used to playing a game that isn't played on a carpet where everyone knocks it round in nice little dynamic circles, where a long ball is akin to treason.

Higgy and Yozzer
Higgy and Yozzer (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 20:06
Quote:
2 the moon
well if you look at goals conceded and goals scored it doesn't take a genius to work out what's holding us back.
18 wins last season by one goal, fine lines. Those lines were swinging in our favour In my opinion due to the presence of an in form striker. We didn't pull up any trees, We didn't play off your seat football we were pretty much the same as we were under Brabin. We just simply managed to turn narrow draws and defeats into narrow wins.

whether or not Tranmere Rovers should be walking such fine lines in this league is a big question

This season it's turned full circle again and the narrow wins have turned back into narrow defeats and draws.

Reasons, not as simple as some make out but theories are plenty.

Micky has been struck down with 'uselessness'. A very common ailment in the managerial world.

Player fall outs.

lack of pace

lack of width

training methods

etc, etc, etc.

for what's it's worth here's my theory.

1. our defense is not as good as some may think. Yes we are usually at the top if the goals conceded chart but this may be a little misleading. Since we've been in this league teams tend to play defensive against us wait till we get frustrated and lose focus and hit us on the counter.
If teams attack us we look flaky and often we fall to pieces.

2. Since we've been in this league our midfield has never been settled. it's a constant merry go round. the defenders don't link with it well. the strikers don't link with it well. When we get chance to break it doesn't know wether to stick or twist.
I'd go as far to say we are extremely poor on the break and it's cost us countless times.

3. None of the strikers are showing great form and this is crucial. Our best goalscorer by a mile has been constantly overlooked for pretty much anyone who Mellon can call on. I'm almost certain if Alabi had hit the ground running Cook wouldn't of got a sniff and been 3rd choice at best.

4. We love width. Mellons own words. so were is it ?. The recruitment wouldn't instantly tell you we love it. The overlooking of Dawson and Rokka in a team that supposedly loves width does raise questions. And of course we all know about the stupid amount of crosses into the box but we also know our midfield offers nothing in the way of an aerial threat and the only player that does offer a genuine aerial threat is on the bloody bench.

of course we could just be @#$%&.

what would I do. well I'm not a football manager but I know who our best players are and were they are most effective. and that's were I'd start.

Totally agree - great summary of current position.

I think we just need to accept he’s an average manager at best - he’s not as bad as Edwards and brabin but with the budget, players, support, kudos, facilities, we have in this division a decent manager wouldn’t have us in and around the play offs after 17 games.

It’s getting to the point now that what he says annoys me as he doesn’t make sense or explain the questionable tactical decisions or players signings he makes.

It just feels like he’s not connecting with the players, fans and board and that will probably cost us another year in this division.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net