football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Hartlepool (A)
24 October, 2017 13:11
This preview is being penned while on a short family break not far from Hartlepool, to the picturesque city of York (and I have already asked about tonight and the answer is no). So please show your understanding if it feels a bit disjointed as I am trying to squeeze in the writing at opportune moments.

Actually, before I even start the preview we have just walked past Bootham Crescent (the home of York City) and I fought the urge to divert off our route for a nose.

Anyway back to the preview. The Monkey Hangers are another of the 'shouldn't be in National League' brigade and, as such, will provide stern opposition. Unfortunately I don't have any details available of player availability for tonight but it's still going to be a tough game.

The difficulty level though is mainly due to context we currently find ourselves in - low league position/recent defeat/clueless manager (delete as appropriate) - rather than Hartlepool being world beaters.

Another element of difficulty is possibly the crazy feel swirling around football at the moment in terms of manager stability. This always adds pressure because the modern media acts as a catalyst to discontent and creates a domino effect of sackings.

That's not to say managers who are under-performing shouldn't come under more scrutiny but I think fans can (unavoidably) jump on a band wagon at times, when a premier league chairman happens to pull the trigger.

So bearing in mind it's currently October half term and we have three school holidays (Christmas/February/Easter)to go before the season's end, any trigger pulling has to be tempered by the availability of time.

Performances have got better and we seem to be regularly finding the net so optimism should still be present. However, we need to start climbing the league as well so the pressure we can apply on the leading teams can be applied. This needs to manifest itself in points from tonight.

Anyway, the York Chocolate story is awaiting our arrival so this review must reach its timely end. Just hope this rainstorm suddenly hitting York isn't a harbinger of doom for this evening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/10/2017 22:02 by mini_andy.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Hartlepool (A)
24 October, 2017 13:59
Enjoy your visit and perhaps get some relief from the football with a dose of chocolate !Which Rovers will turn up tonight ?The side that started a little run or the losers from Saturday ?Will MM realize that Cook is essential to the team ? I certainly don't know but optimistic as ever I'll go for a 0-1 with Cook the scorer.SWA

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 14:15
4-4-2
Pilling
Duggan McNulty Sutton Clarke
Motley Henry Norburn Harris Jennings
Cook Norwood

0-2 to the SWA!

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

Tonight
24 October, 2017 07:50
For no reason apparent in reality, I have the inkling that tonight we will thrash Hartlepool. Just saying... something like 5 or 6 goals.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Tonight
24 October, 2017 08:05
Quote:
iagoapcen
For no reason apparent in reality, I have the inkling that tonight we will thrash Hartlepool. Just saying... something like 5 or 6 goals.

Wish I could say the same iagoapcen..a draw I reckon is the best we can do. Hartlepool proving to be a tough side to beat after their shaky start to the season.

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 08:22
I got 500-1 on a 6-1 win ;-)

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 08:27
I'll take that now, no need to travel up there tonight!

Was hoping you were in the prediction league and pretty high up the league as that bet seems like quite the long shot.

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 08:31
5-1 that I fail to stay awake for tonights match commentary on wirral radio. Got tmrw morning off work so am planning to stay up for commentary tonight and then sleep all morning before going to work around lunchtime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 08:34 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 08:41
A couple of weeks ago there was a piece in the articles section of the BBC news website about the infamous monkey hanging incident in hartlepool during the napoleonic wars. The article actually questioned whether the incident ever really took place. Lol. Pretty sure the article can still be accessed via the BBC. Worth a read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 08:44 by hong kong rover.

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 08:43
Quote:
iagoapcen
I got 500-1 on a 6-1 win ;-)
hope haven’t put big money on it lucky to have that many shots on target

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 09:12
I hope these predictions are an attempt of good humour .5-1 6-1 have you all gone mad 😄 Sorry to fetch you down to earth chaps but another sad evening 0-2 for me .got no faith in the team whatsoever

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 09:42
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I hope these predictions are an attempt of good humour .5-1 6-1 have you all gone mad 😄 Sorry to fetch you down to earth chaps but another sad evening 0-2 for me .got no faith in the team whatsoever

Really? Hadn't realised.....

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 09:57
Well I'm going up there let u know my views on the way back

pensbywhite60
pensbywhite60 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 09:59
I think we will lose again 2 or 3-1

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 10:14
[quote 853OKG][quote Fiftyyearsarover]I hope these predictions are an attempt of good humour .5-1 6-1 have you all gone mad 😄 Sorry to fetch you down to earth chaps but another sad evening 0-2 for me .got no faith in the team whatsoever

Really? Hadn't realised.....[/quote]hes being positive got us down to won 0-2 😏

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 10:14
can't see us getting anything. I know it's negative but that's just how I see it.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 10:38
I’ll always try to be positive, so I’m going 1-2

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 10:58
After the misery of watching us fall to pieces on Saturday, I can not see us scoring if MM persists with Nors on his own up front, got to go 4-4-2, at best we may scrape a 0-0.

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 11:35
my opening words were "for no reason apparent in reality"

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 11:38
I am hoping for a win we have showed that we can win games just need to play with two strikers and leave Henry on the pitch and do not try to defend to protect a lead as we are not capable of doing that so hoping for the right team and formation and a 2-1 win. Mellon has to learn from mistakes if he can do that he may be alright.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 12:07
One defeat in five and that was to a 94th minute goal. Scored in four of those games, heck we even scored from a corner on Saturday. So all set for a 2-0 win tonight.

What could possibly go wrong? (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 12:38
3-0 Hartlepool and MM sacked the following morning!

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 14:16
don't know whats happened to jake Cassidy? he has been out of the hartlepool team for nearly 2 months now. injured again perhaps?

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 14:18
Quote:
sparky100
3-0 Hartlepool and MM sacked the following morning!

oozing confidence there sparky, lol. if it is that result , then the noose will be tightening for the Birkenhead monkeys and not the hartlepool ones, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 14:20 by hong kong rover.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 14:54
Buxton just tweeted.

'Good luck to the lads tonight'

With a response to a fan asking how long he'd be out with 'Not to long hopefully mate'.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 15:04
I already feel, like I know what tonight will offer 0-0 :-

4-2-3-1
Davies in goal,
Duggan,McNulty & Sutton, Ridehalgh
Norburn sitting to deep with Hughes & harris for good measure
Jennings to break forward.
Mottley-henry on wing
Norwood upfront alone and isolated.

Subs: Cook, McEveley, Mangan, Pilling (feel he needs to make few 1st team games now), McDonagh

I would prefer 4-4-2

play Clarke left back, Ridehalgh left mid

Norburn & Jenning centre mid, Mottley-henry Right mid.

Cook & Norwood up top

SmartRover
SmartRover (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 16:15
I’m still gobsmacked at the result last Saturday, MM gave another valuable insight into the team at his pre-match interview and is happy to divulge DMH is only a young lad who basically cannot manage the full 90 minutes which we are all aware of from watching him at PP, then he does his magic trick and puts out a totally unbalanced bench so when DMH has blown up he only goes and brings on a central defender with no pace, all the SWA must have been thinking the worst, let’s sit deep with another defender having lost a midfielder and only one up front, trouble is we know from previous inept performances that we cannnot sit deep and defend a lead. A gambling man would have been quids in. I just hope he puts a team out that realistically has a chance of getting a result tonight, not a draw a win. It’s time to wake up to reality MM and keep the faith in your players that can actually win. Let’s do it !

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 16:26
I don’t understand that, he keeps pointing out that he’s 19 and basically can’t play 90 minutes. Why? He’s a professional footballer for Christ sake!

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 16:27
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
One defeat in five and that was to a 94th minute goal. Scored in four of those games, heck we even scored from a corner on Saturday. So all set for a 2-0 win tonight.
What could possibly go wrong? (Sm100)

2 defeats in five in the league however and yes one was a 94 minute goal but equally one of our two wins was equally a 94th minute winner at Bromley so on that basis we easily could have been even a further point behind.

What could possibly go wrong is we set up like Saturday create very little and lose. I am however trying to be optimistic so going for a very dull 0-0.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 16:35
Can see us losing 2 1

pez
pez (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 17:11
That's 6 defeats so far this season, we lost only 9 the whole of last season.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 18:02
#TRFC XI: Davies, Harris, Norwood, Duggan, Norburn, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Jennings, Cook, Sutton, Mottley-Henry ⚪🔵

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 18:03
Hughes finally dropped!

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 18:22
cmon the rovers!

EBAWB
EBAWB (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 18:27
Quote:
trfc-boi
#TRFC XI: Davies, Harris, Norwood, Duggan, Norburn, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Jennings, Cook, Sutton, Mottley-Henry ⚪🔵

Was despondent at the thought of Nors upfront alone. This team gives me hope......COME ON ROVERS!!!!

Every ball's a white ball

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 18:44
Quote:
mini_andy
Hughes finally dropped!
. Like

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 19:00
Jay Harris booked in the first minute according to the BBC Sport,mind you according to an other forum it was McNulty?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 19:11
Quote:
BELMONT
Jay Harris booked in the first minute according to the BBC Sport,mind you according to an other forum it was McNulty?

McFatney was booked

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 19:54
1 down, mc nulty subbed at the interval

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 19:55 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 20:01
yes get in. inspired substitution, lol. mceverley

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 20:01
@#$%& yes McEveley

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 20:03
No Hughes, scored from a corner, McCeverley goal, is that his 2nd or 3rd this year, centre backs weighing in nearly as much as the centre forwards.

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 20:38
sounds like Jennings had a real chance at the death. an away point it is then.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 20:39
Listened on Wirral radio. Sounds like a good point. Shame about Connor's miss at the end

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 20:46
Not a bad point on paper, but we really need to scramble, unbelievably we are still only 11 from top. We really have thrown it away this season. Sounds like a lack of clinical finishing has cost us again.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 20:59
By the sounds of it from Paul & Andy, would've taken your hand off for a point at H/T.

Bit unlucky not to grab a winner at the death but could've been 2-2 on another day, i'll take that and hope the lads go straight for it on Saturday.

Be interesting to read what those at the game felt about it given you don't really get too much of a feel from the commentators.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 21:03
Evidently 291 SWA turned out, great support for a Tuesday Night in the North East.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 21:03
It’s crazy, 90 points will win the league at this rate!

Which is unfortunate, as that means we would need 2.4 points per game for the rest of the season, which I don’t think this team can achieve (22W 7D 2L) 🙁

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 21:22
Quote:
mini_andy
It’s crazy, 90 points will win the league at this rate!
Which is unfortunate, as that means we would need 2.4 points per game for the rest of the season, which I don’t think this team can achieve (22W 7D 2L) 🙁

11 points to catch up is doable, could be less that 90 perhaps ?

MESSAGES->author

24 October, 2017 21:25
Leyton Orient in free-fall. their last 9 NL games have yielded just 2 points.

won 0
drew 2
lost 7

how long will their new dunkin donuts chairman persevere with steve davis as boss?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 21:28 by hong kong rover.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 21:59
Listening on Wirral Radio it sounded like a much better performance than certainly the second half at Aldershot, with a far more positive approach.

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 23:06
Hartlepool better team in first half but for Davies who made some good saves and punched well from corners. They put more dangerous corners into the box in the first half than we have all season. For my money we stand off too much and dont close down early enough. We let them pick out passes without close challenge too deep into our own half. We dont seem to win much 50/50 and gave the ball away a lot.

Second half we chased and harried better and battled our way back into it. Just shows what can be achieved if you roll your sleeves up and work for possession. Harris diving in recklessly for tackles didn't help. Motley Henry was good early doors, faded then came good with his perseverance at the end. Too many in our midfield are like this. Cook had one mazy dribble through bodies on the edge of the area that didn't quite work. Norwood was a constant threat and was a stand out player for us. Connors miss at the end was agonizing.

MOM- the travelling 290 fans who gave 100% total support for the team and the club. Amazing.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 23:34
Good for McEveley to score though and facilitate the point and that's his second of the season, but as McNulty said a while back defensive players still need to come good now and then and he has too.

That's 2 goals in 2 games now for the Mc boys. Perhaps those two up front would be the answer to the goal shyness. Doing an Aldo, not often running with the ball; just getting into position, receiving the ball and slotting it in.

Then again perhaps not.

Goodison I think got 6 goals in all competitions in a season one time, asked to play up top near the end of games, for around 45 minutes in total across the whole season.

So he had a ridiculous scoring rate that season of approximately 1 every 9 minutes. That means had he played a full season up front, including cup matches and applicable extra time, he would have scored on that ratio roughly 500 goals in one season and he was 37 at the time.

No wonder Tranmere never got back into the championship and won any silverware in league 1.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 23:53
to be honest I'd of taken a point at Hartlepool if we were top or bottom. Had it on the radio and sounded like it could of gone either way.
Hats off to the supporters who travelled, absolute class they are.
I personally think it's all about 7th now and all this only * points from the top is starting to look a little desperate.
on to Saturday and hopefully 3 massive points .

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 11:42
Good to see we played better this time, with actually going for the win and not sitting back good to see we can defend without McNulty also

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 13:05
Why was McNulty subbed .Injury or something to do with an early booking and the potential of a sending off

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 13:12
Quote:
dicko111
Why was McNulty subbed .Injury or something to do with an early booking and the potential of a sending off

He wasn't feeling well.

MESSAGES->author

25 October, 2017 13:52
wirral radio said mcnulty had concussion

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 15:06
I thought we played well after that wonder free kick .Scott had kept us in it up2 then and I feared the worst. But we knuckled down to the task great headed equaliser and I thought only 1 winner . . .us .but oh connor u shud of won it for us.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 15:31
Quote:
hong kong rover
wirral radio said mcnulty had concussion

Micky in his interview said he wasn't feeling well

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 16:57
Until we scored Hartlepool were the best team I have watched this season. They played some great one touch football, outnumbered us in midfield, and played with width via genuine wing backs. The only thing missing was a final product. McEverley culpable for the free kick that led to the goal. But then made up for it with a thunderous header in to the top corner. After that we looked the more likely. But all in all an enjoyable game of football. And the SWA again in fine voice.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2017 18:17
Spot on roger

25 October, 2017 21:25
I agree with those who went last night. 1st half they were much better than us. If it wasn't for Scotty we would have been a couple down. Mcnultys early card didn't help and when he injured the left back in a fair tackle his card was marked. After going a goal down we seemed rejuvenated and played as a unit. Once We got the equaliser I thought we were well on top. We looked dangerous going forward. Think with the strikers low on confidence they over did it, that one extra touch. Jennings at the end would have been the icing on the cake.

Definitely many positives in the last 25 minutes. Micky made the right decisions last night. I'm certain we are going to give someone an ass whipping very soon. Well worth the 6 hour round trip. SWA best fans in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2017 21:27 by steve mungalls Highlights.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 13:15
First time I went to Hartlepool was in around 1980 when Bobby Hutchison scored in a 1-1. Not a name that features on here that often or at all. Over to you HKR....

MESSAGES->author

26 October, 2017 13:17
Quote:
roger mellie
First time I went to Hartlepool was in around 1980 when Bobby Hutchison scored in a 1-1. Not a name that features on here that often or at all. Over to you HKR....

lol, saw bobby Hutchison play for us quite a few times but ive never been to hartlepools ground.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

26 October, 2017 13:39
Quote:
roger mellie
I thought he was 1 of the best midfielders I'd seen and unfortunately due to our dire financial straits at the time had to sell to Mansfield for about £15000 so we could keep afloat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net