football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Aldershot (A)
20 October, 2017 21:21
What a nice feeling it is to have had a week where we could revel in a good away win and a continuation of an unbeaten run. That was until Mickey Mellon 'ruined' it all with his announcement that we were not in the race for Stourbridge's Jordan Archer. That sparked off a flurry of conspiracy theories about the real reason for not continuing our interest, with Mickeys answer of 'pursuing other areas' seemingly not plausible enough.

To make matters worse, news of James Alabi going on loan to Dover has fanned the flames a bit more - 'giving our rivals a player' and 'poor recruitment' just two gripes I have heard. I thought maybe we weren't reinforcing failure by moving a player on who has not settled and needed game time to build confidence (that's code for he is rubbish by the way).

This all brings us nicely onto the matter in hand, a game against Aldershot in the National League.

Memories are generally positive when the Shots come to mind. Both of the play off games from last season are ones to remember fondly, particularly the away leg which is the last time I have been totally relaxed watching the Rovers. Their pitch is a nice surface too and they also play football so enjoyment of the game is more of an expectation than a hope.

It feels like they, like us, have struggled to cope with the expectations of success and have stuttered along a bit so far. Sir Adam Virgo waxed lyrical during the play offs and tipped them to have a great season. If only it were that simple, AV.

Perhaps they have found it difficult to replace key players with loanee Benyu no longer there and Bernard Mensah injured or out of form. Benyu was quite instrumental in their success last season and seemed to make them tick, so maybe his absence is more of a significant loss than anyone first thought.

Both teams then face similar problems on and off the pitch with expectations proving to be a bit of curse. We both also have to handle media speculation about why we aren't at the top of the league.

We live in a news rich environment so speculation on our every move is to be expected I suppose. But the only news I am interested in tomorrow is how many goals we score and if the impending doom of Storm Brian will affect the fixture.

Hope we don't hear the news of an Alabi goal though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 14:58 by mini_andy.

mb53trfc
mb53trfc (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Aldershot (A)
20 October, 2017 23:11
Thanks Kenny. The win at Halifax looked good and felt good too. I'm feeling more optimistic than pessimistic about the game tomorrow and hope its not called off due to the weather. Will be listening on Wirral radio. Looking forward to one of my 'home' games on Tuesday night at Hartlepool.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

20 October, 2017 23:22
Another good post Kenny. Aldershot don't worry me but Storm Brian might ruin our weekend.Otherwise going for a 0-2 win and Alabi being subbed by Dover.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 06:44
Another local(ish) match for me that I won’t be attending. Instead I’ll be tuning into Wirral radio, whilst lying on a sun lounger in Menorca.

I’m feeling confident about this one. They like to play football the right way. I sense a 1-3 with Norwood, Jennings and Hughes getting the goals.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 07:02
We'll win 2-0, one in each half, Jennings first and then Norwood 10 minutes to go.

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 07:16
Just getting ready to drive down, hope 'Brian' doesnt ruin our day. Remember the play off semi first leg, the weather didnt affect us that day. Hoping for another good win...

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 08:52
Only live 30 minutes away and the sun is shining although quite breezy. I think 'Brian' has fizzled out.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 09:40
Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere
We'll win 2-0, one in each half, Jennings first and then Norwood 10 minutes to go.

After norwood misses 8 one on ones he scores a miraculous hslf cross that "Brian" steers into top corner...

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 10:02
Halifax is a swallow that does not make a summer .getting better but nothing to write home about 0-2 Aldershot

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 12:19
Heard Buxton not traveled with squad,injured or rested even going out on loan?

Any one else heard about this the (out on loan bit tounge in cheek)but rested or injured even dropped?

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 12:24
0-0 I reckon

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 13:10
Interesting team selection....
Duggan and Clarke starting. Buxton and Ridelagh are both injured. Cook only substitute. No midfield cover on bench

pez
pez (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 13:14
Norwood up front on his own?

Not enough of a threat up front to mount any serious threat on the Shots back line imo.

May have to bring Cookie or Mangan into the mix at some stage.

Good to see the youngsters getting a start though.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 13:29
Can't be bothered with getting excited with games the season is already over . 15th place finish for us.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 13:31
interesting line up

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 13:35
Mangan can't score if life depended on it and cook can't be bothered and Norwood is well Norwood either play blinder or just be offside alot. Defence looks iffy today as well.
Hopefully im wrong but could be big loss today .

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 13:48
big test for the 2 young full backs today

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 14:16
get in 1 up

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 14:58
Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere

OK, so not Jennings but a goal is a goal, just need Mr. Norwood to finish it off.

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 15:40
oh bollox

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 15:54
double @#$%& bollox

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 15:57
Absolutely clueless, dunno whay else to say really

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 15:59
off to bed in a big sulk now

MESSAGES->author

21 October, 2017 16:00
sounded on wirral radio that the shots were better than us in 2nd half.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:01
Least no pressure for rest of season nothing to play for. Mediocre team and manager.

Heswall Boy
Heswall Boy (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:02
Same as it ever was

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:04
What is going on.? Yet again we have a second half where the midfield just allow ate an to have territory. Except for Harris the rest are featherweight so. Why oh why was Cook not at least thrown on as substitute.
Keep the faith is so often trotted out on here but I have little faith left in Mellon.His signings have been dire,tactically he is conservatively in inept and his decision making in games seems to take us backwards rather than forwards.
I am certain that many will spring to his defence but his leadership is unravelling

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:05
We just sat back in the second half. I'm getting fed up of one up front.We have strikers coming out of our ears and we play one up front.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:10
Quote:
ming05
Least no pressure for rest of season nothing to play for. Mediocre team and manager.
With Cook gone after January we have much to play for but more likely to be in a battle to avoid relegation

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:20
The game changer was taking Motley Henry off for ANOTHER defensive player in McEveley. We were already playing a very negative, defensive formation so McEveley on was ridiculous. Motley Henry was are only real attacking threat from midfield.

We deserved to lose in the end. All these strikers and yet only had one on the pitch!

Speaking to a Cambridge fan who had McDonagh on loan - said he was terrible for them! And was poor when he came on for us.

Hugely disappointing. No chance of winning even a tight league on that display. Aldershot were 10 times better as an attacking force.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:27
Well done Aldershot better team won

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:46
He takes Motley Henry off and puts McEveley on. So he takes pace off and relaces it a with a player with no pace and no skill, Why was Cook left on the bench.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 16:49
Ref my post against Chester. MP and NP very happy with 7 from 9. We'll 1 from 6 is, don't even want to say it when home to Chester who a shite and the shots who are shite at home. We are shite. What is toning on?

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 17:00
Apparently everything is ok we will win the league now after losing today trying to be positive here as i get told the club is doing really well micky mellon is doing a fantastic job too haha

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 17:11
Didn't need the haha goosed, get what you're saying and agree 100%. We will will the league with our mind blowing board.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 17:15
Quote:
Old Rover
He takes Motley Henry off and puts McEveley on. So he takes pace off and relaces it a with a player with no pace and no skill, Why was Cook left on the bench.
soon as I heard mceverly on I thought here we go we gona throw it away

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 18:01
Daily Mail tennis correspondent and Tranmere supporter Mike Dickson posted on Twitter:-

''Kind of expected to be in Singapore this weekend but as it turned out all roads led to....Aldershot, with Tranmere''

Damned inconsiderate of Jo Konta to get injured and not make it to the WTA finals in Singapore Mike. Bet you're made up with your chosen alternative. confused smiley

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 18:38
Mellon has lost the plot .a few diehards will think otherwise ,time for him to go before he drags us further down .to good to drop again? Don't believe it .not signing that lad Archer after it was a certainty and his club had bought someone in because they thought it was a done deal and then sending one of our out of favour players to a serious competitor in Dover,a great weeks work Micky, I give up he is clueless

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 18:46
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Mellon has lost the plot .a few diehards will think otherwise ,time for him to go before he drags us further down .to good to drop again? Don't believe it .not signing that lad Archer after it was a certainty and his club had bought someone in because they thought it was a done deal and then sending one of our out of favour players to a serious competitor in Dover,a great weeks work Micky, I give up he is clueless

Player in and out have to go through MP. Who says MM didn't want archer. I know the other lads went out on loan because MP said we had to lose players to save money. Yes you could say it was MM who signed them, but he hasn't been given time to give them a chance

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 18:58
In 2 games we've dropped 5 points on the leaders.

We are we deserve to be in the league.

There are definitely 3 teams worse than us, we need to hope there's 4 only 7 points off the drop zone, not good we will not survive relegation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2017 19:00 by Higgosboots.

Aldershot Jim
Aldershot Jim (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 19:29
Well what a difference a few months make.

You were the shadow of a team that beat us so comprehensively in the play offs. I see that a number of that squad are now gone and now you look surprisingly weak in terms of quality. The first half we were very slow in getting any attacks going, set pieces have been a weakness for us this season so that along with the wind meant it was no surprise that you scored from a corner, the ball dropping nicely from a yard out mcNulty wasn’t going to miss that.

Second half we upped the tempo and got at you more as you sat deeper and deeper, only desperate back to the wall defending kept the score at 1-0, so many times the ball dropped loose in your box but no shots player could react quick enough until the equaliser. We looked the keener side to try and win the game and in my opinion got our rewards for a the positive attitude whereas Mellon seemed adamant to play for 1-0, it nearly paid off but luckily for us it probably played to our strengths.

I know gamesmanship is rife in football nowadays but today I felt Tranmere were very poor in that aspect was a big contributing factor in the 6 added on minutes which gave us the time to score the winner, Scott Davies played a big part in that taking 20-30 seconds with every goal kick, only surprise is that it took the ref so long to caution him.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 19:32
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Player in and out have to go through MP. Who says MM didn't want archer. I know the other lads went out on loan because MP said we had to lose players to save money. Yes you could say it was MM who signed them, but he hasn't been given time to give them a chance
Sorry but if I had a pound for everytime I've heard I know because. I would be rich. If what your saying is true then get rid of MM and let MP manage the club. Did MP make the changes today, no. Did MP pick the team today, no. Did MP choose the tactics today, no.Did MP choose to leave cook on the bench, no. that was MM

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 20:02
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Sorry but if I had a pound for everytime I've heard I know because. I would be rich. If what your saying is true then get rid of MM and let MP manage the club. Did MP make the changes today, no. Did MP pick the team today, no. Did MP choose the tactics today, no.Did MP choose to leave cook on the bench, no. that was MM

Was it

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 20:10
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Was it
Stop f^^king about and prove your point

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 20:54
I was at the game today, and I'll start with the positives...
OK that done, the problem today was the tactics, starting with what looked like a 4-5-1 did give a certain amount of control and the game was very tight. The second half it was very clear we were sitting deeper and deeper, putting on a third centre back just made that worse, and our 'midfield' were playing just on the edge of our 18 yard box, which gave plenty of space for their midfield to play and pick crosses/passes. The problem with that was when we did break up play the ball was always coming straight back as there was only one up front and no alternative, which made Aldershot's job very easy. Cook or Mangan coming on might have given their back line something to think about.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 21:17
Cook & Mangan eh? Micky Mellons 2 favourite players.

There lies the problem.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

21 October, 2017 22:12
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Was it
Stop f^^king about and prove your point

Palios might possibly have picked the players and tactics, but if he did that shows a worrying relationship between him and Mellon and I would expect Mellon to have total carte blanche to do that stuff himself, because that's how it should be.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2017 22:19 by Matt34.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 07:33
Quote:
Aldershot Jim
You were the shadow of a team that beat us so comprehensively in the play offs. I see that a number of that squad are now gone and now you look surprisingly weak in terms of quality. The first half we were very slow in getting any attacks going, set pieces have been a weakness for us this season so that along with the wind meant it was no surprise that you scored from a corner, the ball dropping nicely from a yard out mcNulty wasn’t going to miss that.

Second half we upped the tempo and got at you more as you sat deeper and deeper, only desperate back to the wall defending kept the score at 1-0, so many times the ball dropped loose in your box but no shots player could react quick enough until the equaliser. We looked the keener side to try and win the game and in my opinion got our rewards for a the positive attitude whereas Mellon seemed adamant to play for 1-0, it nearly paid off but luckily for us it probably played to our strengths.

I know gamesmanship is rife in football nowadays but today I felt Tranmere were very poor in that aspect was a big contributing factor in the 6 added on minutes which gave us the time to score the winner, Scott Davies played a big part in that taking 20-30 seconds with every goal kick, only surprise is that it took the ref so long to caution him.
Dont like gamesmanship, Davies has been booked several times for time wasting. You have just confirmed what the radio said we tried to hang on for a 1 nil win. Good luck for the rest of the season

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 08:30
It was frustrating watching Scott Davies setting up his goal kicks and that alone may have added several minutes to the added time. Not to mention the kicks that were caught by the wind and straight into the stand on our right. I appreciate Scott as a good keeper but I would like to see young Luke Pilling get some games under his belt, I dont think he'd let us down.

The match itself, well not a bad first half - 1-0 to the fat b***ard - loved that. Thought Oyeleke should have been carded much earlier in the game and I also thought Duggan was lucky to stay on for his challenge on Kellerman. End of... Second half we werent in it.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 14:33
I didn't go yesterday and have read all the comments etc on the game. I'm just curious about two things:

1) leaving aside the winning goal (yes, I know it's all about results), if it had ended 1-1 would we have been saying it was a well-earned point or a lucky point?

2) MM seems to be getting stick for trying to protect the lead. On the face of it, shutting up shop when 1-0 up away against a decent team surely is a reasonable tactic when you've got a decent defensive record. So why are people blaming the tactics? If we'd gone all out for a second goal and got picked off he'd have been slaughtered for not trying to protect the lead!

Genuine questions, not trying to make any points just keen to assess the performance.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 15:12
From what I witnessed, we reached the play off final last season because we had a more cavalier approach (just look at the play off game at Aldershot as an example, where we could have shut up shop at 1-0 or 2-0, but we successfully went for the kill). We do seem to have a more conservative approach in a lot of games this season; this may well be down to the personnel. In my eyes and justified by our points total and position, we certainly haven't made progress despite what anyone may say or think. Does that go some way to answering question 2.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 15:58
I was there yesterday having wangled a work trip darn sarf and the difference in the weather firt half against the second half was huge. It was always very breezy (have a look at the leaves on the pitch) but second half there was driving wind, fierce rain and a low lying sun which shone for a good amount of time (There was a rainbow at one point which seemed to end on the roof of the standing-end we shared but distinctly on the side of the roof of the Aldershot fans... I saw that as an omen at this point sad smiley

It was difficult enough reaching the half way line with clearances never mind finding someone up there to hit.

But weather aside I saw the logic in the McEveley sub but if DMH wasn't injured or cream-crackered would have preferred to have seen CJ or JH replaced as it was so obvious we needed an out ball to stick as well as shoring up the defence.

Will be interesting to see the replay of their equalizer as I seem to remember thinking wtf is McNulty doing on his knees trying to head into his own net instead of hoofing it.

It is honestly not all doom and gloom whatever the score because Aldershot were very good and we were lots better than them in the first half.

We need a bit more imagination and decisiveness in terms of subs but can imagine the pressure the manager is under when he's faced with do or die decisions.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 16:01
Just had a thought... if we need someone upfront for the ball to stick to what about pushing Jeff Hughes forward?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 17:58
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Aldershot Jim

Dont like gamesmanship, Davies has been booked several times for time wasting. You have just confirmed what the radio said we tried to hang on for a 1 nil win. Good luck for the rest of the season

We did exactly the same at Ebbsfleet which was annoying in the extreme.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 18:28
I will never have a go at a manager who plays the same way after going one up. You took the lead playing that way so why change.I will always have a go if he changes the lineup and tactics to hang on for a one nil win.You just invite them to throw men forward. It only takes one bit of brilliance or a mistake and your hanging on for one point. Once they equalised I knew we would get nothing out of the game.Our time wasting and MM's tactics cost us the game not the weather.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

22 October, 2017 23:02
Quote:
Phil65
From what I witnessed, we reached the play off final last season because we had a more cavalier approach (just look at the play off game at Aldershot as an example, where we could have shut up shop at 1-0 or 2-0, but we successfully went for the kill). We do seem to have a more conservative approach in a lot of games this season; this may well be down to the personnel. In my eyes and justified by our points total and position, we certainly haven't made progress despite what anyone may say or think. Does that go some way to answering question 2.

To a degree, yes. Cheers. The difference I see is that in the playoff game we had the players who could go for the kill while keeping it tight at the back in equal measure, whereas now you'd back our defence to shut up shop far more than you'd back us to succeed in going for a second goal. That, of course, is down to the manager's recruitment but I'm not sure that means he got his tactics wrong on Saturday. Unless we went so defensive that we didn't even have an 'out ball' when one was needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2017 23:07 by Aldo'smuzzy.

MESSAGES->author

23 October, 2017 15:30
just seen the highlights of the game vs shots. both their goals not dealt with by our defence.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

23 October, 2017 15:58
Quote:
hong kong rover
just seen the highlights of the game vs shots. both their goals not dealt with by our defence.

Agreed but to be fair if they've been pummelled for 45 mins something has to give. Despite everything I still think defensively we are as good as any team in the NL, its everything else in fron of them thats the problem (and thats mainly down to Mellon's tactics and formations)

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

23 October, 2017 18:16
Quote:
hong kong rover
That's what happen's when you sit back and allow them to throw player's forward. It does'nt matter how good the defence is it will crack

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

24 October, 2017 10:07
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
hong kong rover
That's what happen's when you sit back and allow them to throw player's forward. It does'nt matter how good the defence is it will crack
Indeed and the worst thing is the defence have no outlet... just watched the highlights and it was commented on that we had all 11 players in our own box at a corner... which guarantees even if we clear the corner it will come straight back at us.
Completely fail to see the "logic" in that and to be clear it wasn't in the last minute but when we were still 1-0 up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net