football
Latest News:
 

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 12:10
Had a look at the ten previous seasons' National League tables. The champions sometimes scored more than 100 goals, often more than 90 goals and, with one exception (a season when there were fewer matches) always more than 80 goals. Obviously, this is hypothetical since a team which won every match 1-0 would automatically be champions with only 46 goals, but let's say that, realistically, if we are going to be champions (the only guaranteed way to be promoted) we need to score a minimum of 80 goals. Currently, we have 11 goals from 15 matches. Theoretically, we need another 70 goals from 31 matches. That's over 2 goals per game. Of course, this may turn out to be a freak season with the lowest-scoring champions ever, but I think this does indicate how much of a turn around we need.

 
dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 12:48
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 15:48
I just pray to god we never need to rely on this fella for goals. His name is Dennis Van Duinen and he plays for the Dutch 4th division team, Harkemase Boys.. There is a clip on the BBC footy website with him missing what I would have to describe as the worst miss ive ever seen. sorry but I don't know how to post the clip on to the forum, so if anyone can help me out that would be great. it just has to be seen to be believed.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 16:17
Could be mms latest DVD !

 
HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 16:24
video: [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41558174[/url]

It's here. Great clip.

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 17:38
Quote:
dicko111
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come


The opposition goalkeeper's may have had man of the match ,but they get this because our strikers hit the ball straight at him,you have to make them work for man of the match our lot of missfiring so called strikers don't.
They are not good enough but we are stuck with them our goals column is so bad we won't win promotion if this stays like it is poor.

 
MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 17:50
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

 
HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 17:57
Quote:
acc928
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...
[www.bbc.co.uk]


Thanks acc928. I can't remember ever seeing a worse miss from a Rovers player. Anyone?

 
warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 18:03
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
acc928
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...
[www.bbc.co.uk]


Thanks acc928. I can't remember ever seeing a worse miss from a Rovers player. Anyone?
cole Stockton at Wembley comes close 😪

 
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 18:38
Scott Taylor's open goal miss against Ipswich (I think) at PP?

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
09 October, 2017 20:40
Quote:
acc928
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

The player is a natural striker who would fit in well in our forward line.(Sm22)

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 06:56
Quote:
acc928
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thks acc928 and Hardly.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 20:28
Quote:
dicko111
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

 
MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 20:44
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
dicko111
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a
stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

Didn’t Norwood score the winning goal in the last 2 wins?

 
Will oulton
Will oulton (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 20:52
You've hit the nail on the head with Norwood, his finishing is getting worse.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 20:57
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
dicko111
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a
stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

Didn’t Norwood score the winning goal in the last 2 wins?

Yes, having treated us to at least two of his customary one on ones before that, an if I'm not mistaken there was another display of "Vintage Norwood" against Chester, he even managed to get the loaner in on his act. A poor mans Chris Malkin!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 21:06 by Higgosboots.

 
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 22:07
Remembering of course that Malkin was an accomplished Championship level player and we're nowhere near there now. In the National League give me a Norwood in the side every time, and his strike rate of 1 in 2.5 games isn't to be sniffed at. Yes he misses his share of one on ones but then so did Ian Muir.

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 23:29
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.

People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
10 October, 2017 23:35
Who remembers malkin goal at wembley best tranmere day of my 2000+ games. Sitting next to my dear departed dad who's knees knocked for the last 10 min. I will treasure that day thanks chris malkin .

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
11 October, 2017 09:00
Quote:
Loyden1
Who remembers malkin goal at wembley best tranmere day of my 2000+ games. Sitting next to my dear departed dad who's knees knocked for the last 10 min. I will treasure that day thanks chris malkin .

I also remember the shot that hit the crossbar the noise of it echoed round Wembley,but as you state I remember Malkin's goal and the longest ten minutes of extra time that lasted or felt like it for around half and hour.

It was like a TARDIS effect time stood still.

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
11 October, 2017 12:05
Malkins son is banging them in for lairds this season...

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
11 October, 2017 18:38
Quote:
Matt34
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.
People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Nors was signed by Brabin, no secret was made of the fact he was being played wide left at FG and didn't like it but either way he was signed as a CF, if it is not the case he is a CF that would yet again call into question Palios in allowing such a signing on top wages.

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 14:49
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.
People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Nors was signed by Brabin, no secret was made of the fact he was being played wide left at FG and didn't like it but either way he was signed as a CF, if it is not the case he is a CF that would yet again call into question Palios in allowing such a signing on top wages.

I made a fortune one season doing nevin as first goalscorer, 9/1 every game he had a great season

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 15:11
Pat Nevin...the slowest player ever, bar Molby, but left everyone standing.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 16:45
Nothing slow about Nevin, he was class on that left wing.

The good old days at Prenton Park, when you could feel the team spirit in the atmosphere and we feared nobody.

Feels like a dream with our past 5 years of misery.

Had some great players over the King years.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 17:14
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.
People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Nors was signed by Brabin, no secret was made of the fact he was being played wide left at FG and didn't like it but either way he was signed as a CF, if it is not the case he is a CF that would yet again call into question Palios in allowing such a signing on top wages.

Time you changed the record-it's excessively boring.

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 17:23
Quote:
pez
Nothing slow about Nevin, he was class on that left wing.
The good old days at Prenton Park, when you could feel the team spirit in the atmosphere and we feared nobody.

Feels like a dream with our past 5 years of misery.

Had some great players over the King years.


Yes it was good to hear Tina Turner belting(From the record) out Simply the Best at halftime also at the end of the game's Queens*Another one Bites the Dust* or *We are the Champions*.

Mind you we had player's and a home form we can only dream about now.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 19:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.
People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Nors was signed by Brabin, no secret was made of the fact he was being played wide left at FG and didn't like it but either way he was signed as a CF, if it is not the case he is a CF that would yet again call into question Palios in allowing such a signing on top wages.

Time you changed the record-it's excessively boring.

You don't have to read it

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 19:47
Quote:
pez
Nothing slow about Nevin, he was class on that left wing.
The good old days at Prenton Park, when you could feel the team spirit in the atmosphere and we feared nobody.

Feels like a dream with our past 5 years of misery.

Had some great players over the King years.

I think he just looked slow, probably down to his gliding over the turf with ease, that big turn of direction that every oponent knew was coming but couldn't stop.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Goals Needed
13 October, 2017 20:36
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34
People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.
People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Nors was signed by Brabin, no secret was made of the fact he was being played wide left at FG and didn't like it but either way he was signed as a CF, if it is not the case he is a CF that would yet again call into question Palios in allowing such a signing on top wages.

Time you changed the record-it's excessively boring.

You don't have to read it

You don't have to post it.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?