football
Latest News:

Kenny_Crons
Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)

Next up: Chester (H)
06 October, 2017 20:49
The anxiety of the last few days while waiting for confirmation of Ben Tollitt's injury has caused some fans to bemoan our luck, and post rueful tweets about the 'lot' of a Tranmere fan. Understandable I suppose considering the last few years but I don't share that view and I actually think we are more lucky than plenty of other supporters around the country.

Before I say why, I am qualifying my judgement by talking about my time as a fan from 1986 and not just recent seasons. But I think you have to do that if we want to call ourselves fans - we can't pick and choose the eras we want to talk about can we.

So...outside the really big teams, can anyone else match our number of Wembley appearances? Can fans of other teams hark back to numerous giant killings in the cup - who can forget that comeback against Southampton and the spanking of Everton in their own back yard?

We have also been fortunate to see high quality players like John Aldridge, Pat Nevin, Frank Worthington and Ian Muir pull on the kit for our team. Never mind the fact that Alan Shearer, Paul Gascoigne, Steven Gerrard and Paolo de Canio have all run around on Prenton Park.

Some might say I am living in the past and am being over-sentimental but I would counter that by looking at our past meetings with Chester. The absolute best memories I have of playing our close rivals have been from the last two years in the National League, not as league clubs. The games have been passionate, close and full of atmosphere. Is this not what we pay our money for?

The 'Tranmere Way' then could have huge negative connotations if you want it to but I feel privileged to have been a fan over the last 30 years, and I wouldn't swap the experiences I have had for anything. Not even the one when Ryan 'Sumo' Astles equalised in the last minute at Prenton last season in this fixture because it made that win at The Deva even sweeter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2017 09:10 by mini_andy.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

Re: Next up: Chester (H)
06 October, 2017 21:59
Beautifully done. I often wonder if a genie said, "I'll give your team 10 years of success and then just nearly forever."

I'd also like to meet the man who said, "Yeah go on then".

2-0 win for rovers tomorrow. Cook and Alabi. As I said two weeks ago, we'll be top by Christmas.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 22:04
2-0. It won't be easy to score twice but equally they won't threaten us hardly at all.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 22:12
Great write up once again....If Tollitt didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all...
I am feeling a 2-0 win, the lad on loan from Barnsley is going to tear them apart...Cook and Norwood both on the score sheet again.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 23:47
Nice one again Kenny I think we are all positive for tmrw .let's attack and trounce them.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 00:08
A different slant on things but interesting to read. Well done Kenny. I'm sticking with a 2-0 win .

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 03:12
I’m going for a 3-1, with Mottley-Henry tearing their full back a new one and getting him sent off in the first half.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 09:04
1-0 Tranmere to make it 3wins in a week .but would not be surprised with draw

iagoapcen
iagoapcen (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 09:08
Three wins in a row would put a very different complexion on our season. We'll beat em and score more than 2

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 10:09
Motley-Henry to start, 3-0 Rovers, Cook, Norwood, Alabi.

Hampshire White
Hampshire White (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 12:58
I've gone for Tranmere win 3-0 at 7's, and 4-0 at 14's a cheeky little £5 on each. "Come on you Rovers"

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 14:22
cmon the rovers. 3-1 win today.

MESSAGES->author

07 October, 2017 14:33
mottley-henry starting, good.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 14:39
I think the BENCH looks a lot more balanced too. We've got a defender and midfielder, plus in my opinion the two strongest backup strikers in Alabi who I think will come good with more game time, and Gerry who's, from what I've heard, a lot more mobile and pacy thank the likes of Mangan and Waring.

For me, players that need shifting out are the ones who incidentally haven't made the bench.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 14:47
Although with the Tollitt injury and question mark that hangs over that, I hope Micky signs another out and out winger, which I thought would have been a priority over another centre forward.............

MESSAGES->author

07 October, 2017 15:20
sounds like a decent opening 20 mins for rovers

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 16:28
This is a joke. New striker now missed 1 on 1

MESSAGES->author

07 October, 2017 16:28
sounds like the chester keeper is having a blinder.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 16:31
Sorry but against the worse team in the league. I can see us getting beat. I AM NOW IN THE MM OUT CAMP. Even if we can get a win. This is shite.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 16:42
Quote:
hong kong rover

Don't know were u are getting that from. He's only had to make one save.

MESSAGES->author

07 October, 2017 16:45
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
hong kong rover

Don't know were u are getting that from. He's only had to make one save.

wirral radio said he has been excellent

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 16:48
Does Hughes have to practice to produce such consistently awful cornerd

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 17:19
One word terrible

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 17:28
Quote:
goosed
One word terrible

Good grief.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 17:58
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
goosed
One word terrible

Good grief.

+1 Childish comments to make.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:02
Struggling to feel positive about that one. Mr Hughes, go to the gym and build some strength in that left peg; will be a massive help in getting the ball past the front post on corners. In defence of Hughes, why don't we have someone on the front post in front of the defender; it's not rocket science. It's also okay to pass forward, as you found out today on the one occasion I can recollect; it didn't kill you. I like Norwood, but his Achilles heel, one on one, struck again today; I'm assuming you're working on this. Why one like for like substitution today (forget Harries token appearance), when it needed a change we remained predictable. I'm not in the mood to hear any bad luck stories or excuses today, you make your own luck. By their own admission (well at least every Chester fan I know and looking at their forum) this is a poor Chester side and they were delighted with the result; I did warn them not to build us up too much as scoring has been a problem for us; how I hoped I'd have to eat my words today. I'm sure someone will see the light and sell some positivity, so looking forward to being proved wrong in my negative appraisal (sorry, just feeling miffed to say the least-I shouldn't post when it's raw!). To cap it all, I've got to face my smug Chester loving boss on Monday, who'll catch me first thing just to gloat; as if Monday's weren't s**t enough!

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:34
So im not bothered what greif i get here but, that new lad on for cook embarrassing, he never won one header for me not a target man in the slightest seems like a fairy, that was a big mistake to take cook off & norwoods chances he misses are just becoming a joke now he might have absolutley outstanding work rate cant knock that but cant score one on ones at all. Just not good enough

corpac
corpac (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:35
Listening to the commentary on Wirral Radio it would appear that only for the superb goalkeeping of the Chester keeper we would have won comfortably. Eschew the negativity, we are turning the corner, keep the faith all you negative defeatists.

corpac
corpac (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:38
Listening to the commentary on Wirral Radio it would appear that only for the superb goalkeeping of the Chester keeper we would have won comfortably. Eschew the negativity, we are turning the corner, keep the faith all you negative defeatists.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:42
I know I've argued that refs are the same for every one but Chester stayed in this due to a fantastic performance from their keeper a dire performance from the ref and a cameo from their right post. I thought we were good again but could not get it in the net. One negative agree about Jeff's corners. Any one at that end of the ground have a view on the Norrs booking pen or dive, couldn't see from the Kop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 18:43 by kennyspint.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:06
Quote:
Phil65
Struggling to feel positive about that one. Mr Hughes, go to the gym and build some strength in that left peg; will be a massive help in getting the ball past the front post on corners. In defence of Hughes, why don't we have someone on the front post in front of the defender; it's not rocket science. It's also okay to pass forward, as you found out today on the one occasion I can recollect; it didn't kill you. I like Norwood, but his Achilles heel, one on one, struck again today; I'm assuming you're working on this. Why one like for like substitution today (forget Harries token appearance), when it needed a change we remained predictable. I'm not in the mood to hear any bad luck stories or excuses today, you make your own luck. By their own admission (well at least every Chester fan I know and looking at their forum) this is a poor Chester side and they were delighted with the result; I did warn them not to build us up too much as scoring has been a problem for us; how I hoped I'd have to eat my words today. I'm sure someone will see the light and sell some positivity, so looking forward to being proved wrong in my negative appraisal (sorry, just feeling miffed to say the least-I shouldn't post when it's raw!). To cap it all, I've got to face my smug Chester loving boss on Monday, who'll catch me first thing just to gloat; as if Monday's weren't s**t enough!

Ha sorry Phil. I didn't spot this. I just opened a new thread saying the same about corners. Credit is all yours

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:15
Haven't read post so apologies if I repeat. I sit in the directors box and in the board room after the the game NP said 7 from 9 not too bad. I see 10 from 21. Not impressed. Don't know the answer but can't believe this is acceptable. Really do think it goes higher that MM

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:18
The trouble is not the Chester keeper keeping the shots out nor the hitting of the post.

Hitting the post was bad luck the keeper's saves that's his job,what lost us the two points is Norwood and others note converting one to one's or missing sitters.

Other failings was I think was Norburn attempts on goal he should have given up after his first two goes. He went on I think for a further two goes when passing the ball to Mottley
on one occasion would have been a better option.

Some how I think Stockton may have put away some of those better chances.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:20
Quote:
aktrfc
Haven't read post so apologies if I repeat. I sit in the directors box and in the board room after the the game NP said 7 from 9 not too bad. I see 10 from 21. Not impressed. Don't know the answer but can't believe this is acceptable. Really do think it goes higher that MM

Interesting, but I guess, 7 out of 9 isn’t bad?... unbeaten in 3... but a lot of away games now so it will likely be back to square 1.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:27
Don't get me wrong, normally happy with 7 from 9, but cfc are poor. Whipping boys att. There directors were v happy with the result and can't believe we miss so much. Tell me about it. Ongoing issues so what's the answer

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:29
Think we could do with one or two new coaches with decent experience myself....

Johntyponty
Johntyponty (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:32
Ironic the programme contained a quote stating how much practice goes into finishing - by all the team.

I don’t think the Chester keeper was that good, he was shot at in most cases

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:36
If you're happy with mediocracy then today was a good point. Yes we had loads of chances, their keeper played well but no save was world class. We play with no plan, its all off the cuff. Their number 6 (Astle?) cleared every header but struggled with balls on the floor. What did we do, keep feeding him headers!! I really beleive we have some quality players but are not even close to getting the best out of them. And that is down to the manager and his staff. We may go up with Mickey and I hope we do but it really shouldn't be as difficult as he is making it. Really frustrated after today's game, Chester were appalling and we couldnt beat them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 19:45 by Robbie126.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 19:48
The goalie will make the saves if you shoot at him or close to him... finishing just not good enough Norwood missed his traditional one on one

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 20:19
Seven points out of nine. Mickey's brought in players. What do we want?

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 20:27
As usual totally different opinions, we played well enough today created numerous chances but, poor finishing again cost us.

On another day, we could and should have one by two or three clear goals. DMH continues to improve but, McDonagh on todays showing, offers nothing better than Cooky and he certainly isn't as good in the air. Should have scored when put through by Nors.

Chester offered very little and should have been comfortably beaten.

Referee appeared to make allowance for the conditions, well that's the only explanation for not showing yellows for some pretty "robust" early tackling by Chester, yet he books Nors for simulation!!!

This is the same referee from the Dover game.

By my calculation, we had at least seven good opportunities to score today.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 20:56
I thought we were unlucky today. Poor finishing, near misses and some fine goalkeeping stopped us taking the points. Can't fault the effort and although we're still stuttering we've got 7 from 9 and unbeaten in 3.
The negatives being Jeff's corners. Lack of support when breaking and not bloody scoring again.
Oh and the ref was shocking as usual

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 21:07
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
As usual totally different opinions, we played well enough today created numerous chances but, poor finishing again cost us.
On another day, we could and should have one by two or three clear goals. DMH continues to improve but, McDonagh on todays showing, offers nothing better than Cooky and he certainly isn't as good in the air. Should have scored when put through by Nors.

Chester offered very little and should have been comfortably beaten.

Referee appeared to make allowance for the conditions, well that's the only explanation for not showing yellows for some pretty "robust" early tackling by Chester, yet he books Nors for simulation!!!

This is the same referee from the Dover game.

By my calculation, we had at least seven good opportunities to score today.

Apparently the Chester Papers thought it was a nailed on penalty but, were then ensure on viewing the replay and stated the referee was probably right. From his position I don't see how he could make a decision one way or another.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 21:51
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
aktrfc

Interesting, but I guess, 7 out of 9 isn’t bad?... unbeaten in 3... but a lot of away games now so it will likely be back to square 1.
7 out off 9 does sound ok doesn't it aktrfc but as you say 10 from 21 doesn't have such a ring to it does it and 20 from 45 sounds even worse!
All of this needs context. Chester are a very poor team and had lost 3 of the last 4 so this is once again 2 points dropped not a point won. Yes we hit the post and their keeper made some saves the first of which was for sure a good one but that is what he gets paid for after all.Hughes by contrast must get paid a bonus for hitting the first defender with his corners.
This was the first game I had been able to attend for a few weeks due an operation and although it was not a dreadful performance it was at best average and certainly way short of what should be considered acceptable IMO. I think also it does go higher than MM and that the die is cast for this season with MM allowed some leeway in the form of loan signings to ensure we do not get relegated and ideally scrape into the lottery of the playoffs.
Maybe MP is waiting for investment from China so we are in a holding pattern until that happens? Just a thought?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 21:55
Decentish display but we just aren't clinical, we scraped the 2-1 mid week but missed a hatful their, a hatful today, last minute at Bromley. Something has to give up front, I don't think the midfield are particularly creative but I think the lack of movement up front has a lot to do with it, Cooky stands in the middle Nors sticks his head down and runs in straight lines at the corners, got to have more guile especially with the finishing.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 22:29
An ok performance today , certainly did enough to win the game , especially in the first half . Their keeper earned them a point today IMO . It's funny how we view things differently . My lad was of the same opinion as the kav , that is the opportunities we had should have been buried . The one on one , the header from M-H especially . My view was that sometimes you just have to give credit to the keeper , especially the first shot which to me in the lower Kop looked bang on for the top corner . Time after time however we get to the final third then it breaks down , nobody runs with the play or gives options ( exactly like England the other night ) ! There's a lot more to come from us , I'm sure we'll get it right , we haven't lost touch with the top 3 or 4 and I haven't seen any team to be afraid of this season .

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 23:12
Quote:
corpac
the chester cronice lgives goalie 10/10 for producing a masterclass so for whoever wasnt there read there report.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 07:02
For me this was a sad performance. Ok, we made their keeper make saves, but;

Corners that don't get passed the front post

Several one on ones missed

Too many shots going way over the top or elsewhere.

Players coming forward with the ball and struggling to find a pass because of no movement.

The new guy up front offered nothing we didn't already have. Failing to win headers and nothing special on the ground.

Apologies if this seems entirely negative and maybe the constant rain didn't help but where is that spark to come from? Chester were there to be beaten, they offered nothing at all, but it didn't seem like we were up for much?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 08:59
Most disappointing thing is the gap at the top is back out to 9 points

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 09:22
Could have, should have won with ease against a very poor team whose keeper won them a point.
Same old story evolving -dropping points to the poor teams which prove to be costly at the season's end.
Tranmere teams over the years have repeatedly done the same thing. If that doesn't stop we could have a long season.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 13:29
I've said in the past that when MM makes a change it's like for like, we do the same thing just with a different player. For me Cook is still our best striker and using him as a target man is a waste. The ball should be flicked on for him to run on to. Who would you prefer in a one on one situation Cook or Norwood. MP said 7 point's out of 9 isnt bad but we already had 6 of those point's before playing a very poor Chester side. So is he saying 1 point against them was ok. Please can we have someone else taking the corners.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 16:24
Quote:
Old Rover
I've said in the past that when MM makes a change it's like for like, we do the same thing just with a different player. For me Cook is still our best striker and using him as a target man is a waste. The ball should be flicked on for him to run on to. Who would you prefer in a one on one situation Cook or Norwood. MP said 7 point's out of 9 isnt bad but we already had 6 of those point's before playing a very poor Chester side. So is he saying 1 point against them was ok. Please can we have someone else taking the corners.

I sort of agree in that we shouldn't just be launching balls at him, but neither should we be expecting him to run onto stuff, too slow for that. We should be getting it to the by line and whipping it in for him, virtually all his goals at Barrow came that way.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 11:55
If we had scored one we would have scored four. Good game for a 0-0. Decent crowd, numbers from Chester and atmosphere. I was sure that we would win and enjoyed the game up to the point where Cooky went off. Then started getting irritated at how poor McDonut was and Hughes corners were.

MESSAGES->author

09 October, 2017 15:09
have just viewed the 7 min highlights of the chester game on you tube. blimey, we had enough chances to have won it. those one on ones from nors and mcdonagh have to be put away though.. also viewed the 24 min vanarama national league highlights show from the weekend. nice goal from woking in their 1-0 win vs daggers, but the goalscorer shouldn't have been on the pitch, should've been sent off earlier for a very bad challenge. daggers boss john still was completely flabbergasted as to why he wasn't red carded and bemoaned the officiating. the standard of the officials in this league just seems to be a talking point almost everyday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 15:11 by hong kong rover.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 17:43
I’ve just watched the highlights. I think we can put it down to one of them days!

On another day, we score 4 or 5

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 19:00
Quote:
mini_andy
I’ve just watched the highlights. I think we can put it down to one of them days!
On another day, we score 4 or 5

I'm a half glass full fella and I agree with mini_andy and it would have been to nil, because Chester never looked like scoring.

As mentioned on posts elsewhere I was disappointed only 2-3 players came over to applaud us at the end. Think any booing was probably not heard above the applause.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 21:13
Issue is we are having one of those days way to often

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 22:38
7 from 9 lets see where we go from here

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 22:39
Nine of those days to be precise. Firing that many blanks we'll be renamed Vasectomy Rovers. We need a reversal, so our shots have purpose and an end product!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 23:23
Vasectomy Rovers maybe, or possibly One Eyed Tranmere Snake.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

SeeJayKay
SeeJayKay (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 12:04
Tranmere Jaffas

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 14:30
Rerun of Blankety blank to be shown on Tranmeretv

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 00:50
Oh no don't do that, because then some people might want Alabi binned off on the basis that a solid silver chequebook used to sign him, wouldn't have made the deal legal.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 16:34
The next 2 games away at Aldershot & then away at Hartlepool will give some indication how Rovers are progressing, or not as the case may be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net