football
Latest News:
 

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 09:26
What is MM's real concept towards promotion? - The squad now seems far too large, Is a 'thinning out now required?. I cannot understand retaining so many players last season with injuries (Wallace for one), whilst releasing 'promising' reserves who had Tranmere in their hearts, while also signing (some older - perhaps more experienced but slower?), players, some who obviously play the same position (Alibi and Stokey, when we already had Cook?). As to those who just do not seem to be 'up for the job' one has to lift an eyebrow and ask just how is MM working all this out. I think the squad only needs a couple of decent players to raise their game (this should be evident from the training ground), to turn this season around. I have to question why Mangan, Dunn, Dawson (on loan to Darlington I believe), Rokka? etc are picking up wages but not considered regular first team members? - economic suicide or what. The young lad from Barnsley showed a lot of 'first teamers' up on Wednesday - just by his commitment, there are several players getting regular selections who can learn from that Hughes take note), but first start playing together (Norwood you hardly ever pass to cook?, Ridehaugh your crossing/even from corners, is now generally appalling - just what is happening from the training ground? you have the facilities guys but it's not evident on performances at PP. Love to hear from others on this - which is generally based on many comments posted on this site.

 
efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 09:49
Quote:
WWStandsure
What is MM's real concept towards promotion? - The squad now seems far too large, Is a 'thinning out now required?. I cannot understand retaining so many players last season with injuries (Wallace for one), whilst releasing 'promising' reserves who had Tranmere in their hearts, while also signing (some older - perhaps more experienced but slower?), players, some who obviously play the same position (Alibi and Stokey, when we already had Cook?). As to those who just do not seem to be 'up for the job' one has to lift an eyebrow and ask just how is MM working all this out. I think the squad only needs a couple of decent players to raise their game (this should be evident from the training ground), to turn this season around. I have to question why Mangan, Dunn, Dawson (on loan to Darlington I believe), Rokka? etc are picking up wages but not considered regular first team members? - economic suicide or what. The young lad from Barnsley showed a lot of 'first teamers' up on Wednesday - just by his commitment, there are several players getting regular selections who can learn from that Hughes take note), but first start playing together (Norwood you hardly ever pass to cook?, Ridehaugh your crossing/even from corners, is now generally appalling - just what is happening from the training ground? you have the facilities guys but it's not evident on performances at PP. Love to hear from others on this - which is generally based on many comments posted on this site.
Wallace was under contract!!

 
Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 10:07
There are to many people just collecting a wage, they are in desperate need of a clear out.

I also said last season that norwood does not pass to cook as much as i rate his work rate which i cant knock in the slightest he does not work along side cook, he tries to be the hero instead of playing as part of a team. That is not
Me knocking or slateing him before eveyone starts its just something i have noticed from the start, he sees cook as to much competition goal wise.

Ridehaugh- seems to be the shadow of last years player his crossing is getting worse.

 
HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 10:32
Things seem to have gone wrong over the summer. Our two most creative players (Tollitt and Wallace) were known to be out, as was Kirby. Promising youngsters were released. With the exception of Norburn,the new signings haven't been much good, although Waring hasn't really even been tried. Some players (e.g. Dawson, Rokka) were immediately sidelined. Some players (e.g.Cook, Ridehalgh) haven't been themselves. It was decided to play wih a defensive formation and we couldn't score goals. We still have overweight players. We have great facilties, but there's no evidence of anything really happening in training. We are a supposedly professional club in a league which has many part-time teams and we have looked very ordinary.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 11:24 by HardlyYardley.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 13:23
Weve just won back to back games, and still the negative posts appear?

The team performed well against L.Orient on Wednesday, despite being denied 2 blatent penalty decisions, and going behind, they dug themselves in and won the game.

What more did you want?

I feel like weve finally started to pick up some guile and form, but people still insist on taking a pop at the players?

Lets just get behind them and help make it 3 out of 3, instead of moaning.

Unbelievable!

 
HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 13:37
If we go up, I will be extremely happy but I would see no reason to withdraw any of the points in my post above.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 13:46
Quote:
pez
Weve just won back to back games, and still the negative posts appear?
The team performed well against L.Orient on Wednesday, despite being denied 2 blatent penalty decisions, and going behind, they dug themselves in and won the game.

What more did you want?

I feel like weve finally started to pick up some guile and form, but people still insist on taking a pop at the players?

Lets just get behind them and help make it 3 out of 3, instead of moaning.

Unbelievable!

They've brought in 2 new players and just won the last two matches, so unless you see things differently, I'd say that's a step in the right direction?

Mellon has clearly recognised we needed more talent, so he's seen the owners and got some fresh talent in.

All seems positive to me.

 
HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 14:36
Yes, I agree with that. But a turn for the better doesn't and never will re-write what's happened before. Recognising mistakes and correcting them is clearly a good thing but it doesn't then mean that there weren't significant mistakes in the first place. If every remaining game is a cracking display, that will be brilliant and I will be very happy, but it won't make the early displays any better.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 15:27
TBF to Mellon, he isn't playing, so you have to direct a lot of the blame at the players themselves.

They are the ones who have not performed and let everyone down.

All the manager can do is ask them to do their best and once they cross that white line it's down to them to go out and win games.

Hopefully our bad form is in the past and whilst I agree with your observations, I can see improvement over the last two games both on and off the field.

I think Mellon and the players have had enough negative comments directed at them and rightfully so, but when they show signs of improvement then they should also be praised.

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 16:38
Yes Pez BUT Yardley is correct in that MM brought much of this upon himself and we still have only got 7 points from the last 15 which is not good enough.
After all he brought in McE to replace Ihiewke which clearly was a major error. He has not considered Drysdale at all who is apparently off and has dropped both Gumbs and Duggan after they had been doing well and now sent Gumbs out on loan so his integration into the first team squad is halted once again!
He brought in Rokka for no good reason I can think of (why not keep one of our development players binned last year - they would have been on no more money and we knew how good they were from training and against Maidstone last year).
Wallace was also a massive expensive gamble by MM which always looked likely to fail as has been proven and is an expensive wage wasted.
Alabi has been unconvincing and in and out, whilst Waring who he brought in we have no idea about as he has hardly figured.
Add Dawson - let's not forget MM recruited him - many seem to think it is all Dawson's fault but MM knew of his attitude and his frequent club moves so surely he should shoulder much of the blame.
MM is I feel lucky to be still in charge given his playing staff decisions and results to date and our first back to back wins does not change that. Question to all. If we were to get promotion this season how confident would you be that MM would be the right man to decide the playing staff for League 2?

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 17:06
Well add if he gets us promotion I will be happy with him next year .

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
06 October, 2017 17:27
Facilities mean nothing, stadia means nothing, part time means nothing, the only thing that matters is on the pitch. I come from a Track & Field background first thing I was told by my coach was you are only as good as your last race and the only race that matters is your next, if you loose your a looser. I was also not to tell people what I might do, what I could do or what I should do and instead go and do it. Mickey Mellon and Palios really need to take heed of this, last season means nothing it's confined to the history books, Wembleys had 10 games an NFL appearance and a pop concert since May, worlds moved on and weve missed the plane, because we were caught up looking at last season's photos. They both failed to honestly critique and seek improvment gambling on what had been. The only season that counts is this one.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 17:35 by Higgosboots.

 
WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
07 October, 2017 19:36
Good to hear your positive attitude Higgosboots (though I would say having 'facilities' are a positive influence, as having the right staff that blend together can benefit from such). You are correct that it is ONLY the actions displayed on the pitch that matter, and that seems appalling - given the training facilities etc.
So one can only assume that MM is at the heart of all team selections and directs all training tactics such as we see on the pitch and from which generates the comments in these posts. I really am losing faith in MM fast, today (v Chester), about seven excellent chances occurred - but the result stands at 0-0. I question why Hughes takes such poor corners (unacceptable), why Norwood dives (grow up boy), why MM waited until the last minutes before bringing on Harris (very poor tactics, he should have had at least fifteen minutes to introduce 'fresh legs' upon the game), add to that why was Tollitt played for so long on a very heavy pitch on Wednesday - and lastly, why have we so many paid 'players' that simply do not feature ?, Mr Palios I really think you need to reconsider the concepts of having MM as manager, at the very least rein him in, as his cash outlay appears very excessive in the current climate. I accept the Chester 'keeper had an excellent game and the weather was appalling (for both sides), and the fans were excellent - but I agree totally, on the pitch is all that counts, and there is room for improvement.

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
07 October, 2017 19:46
Quote:
WWStandsure
I accept the Chester 'keeper had an excellent game

You have therefore highlighted a pertinent reason why the result wasn't at least 1-0 for Tranmere.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
07 October, 2017 19:56
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
WWStandsure
I accept the Chester 'keeper had an excellent game

You have therefore highlighted a pertinent reason why the result wasn't at least 1-0 for Tranmere.

Their keeper had a good game yes, but no save was world class because it didn't need to be. We are seriously underachieving with a good squad and that is down to the manger, his staff and his tactics.

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
07 October, 2017 20:47
I cannot disagree, although 7 points from the last 3 is a step in the right direction and a point in a derby game is not what I would call dreadful, but he will need to win the next game or any momentum will be lost.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
11 October, 2017 12:13
We are 2 players short: a wallace/ harvey player who can s plit the 2 banks of 4 who constantly line up 35 yards from goal and an instinct striker who is in the box to be in the right place at the right time.

 
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
11 October, 2017 21:38
Quote:
the kav
We are 2 players short: a wallace/ harvey player who can s plit the 2 banks of 4 who constantly line up 35 yards from goal and an instinct striker who is in the box to be in the right place at the right time.


Yes a good old fox in the box is what we need plus as you say someone like Harvey who could put a ball on a sixpence,not a hoofball up front like we do now but a controlled forward pass to the likes of Muiry one touch back of the net.

Now it's ball up front to Norwood for his one to one with the keeper and we don't get excited about it because he fails to convert most of the time.

 
pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
12 October, 2017 09:57
Let's run the rule over Malkin's son?

He has an eye for goal and would probably be delighted to come here.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say.

 
Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
12 October, 2017 18:13
Used to like Chris Malkin but, yet another player who got a lot of unfair stick from some so called fans.

If all our players now should the same commitment and enthusiasm as Chris, we may be further up the table.

 
MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: Playing Staff
12 October, 2017 21:41
Think of we all chip in, then we could get Aldo down to that Supervet and get him some new knees ?


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?