football
Latest News:

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

Gerry McDonagh ?
05 October, 2017 15:16
Are we wasting money again !! Just signed the above from Notts Forest on a months loan (another centre forward .WHAT !!!!

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

Re: Gerry McDonagh ?
05 October, 2017 15:28
Another bench warmer

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 15:30
A big centre forward. So I guess he’ll be behind cook, Alabi and Waring fighting for 1 spot? Strange

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 15:35
On loan at Wrexham first part of last season scoring 5 goals moved on to Cambridge United for reminder of season.

Made Forest debut at 17, recently signed a new three year contract.

Suspect he will be more than a bench warmer?

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 15:39
Also cleared to play in FA Cup.

terribletid
terribletid (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 16:04
Alabi not good enough. This is the solution...

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 16:40
Clearly the summer signings Alibi, Waring, Rocco, Dunn are not up to the standard that MM expected, they certainly have not improved the team, if this guy is as good as Dylan then fair play to Micky for holding his hands up admitting the squad isn't good enough.
Is this a stop gap until Kirby is fit?

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 16:55
Thought that Alabi would have at least started against Chester, but then again using him as a hungry sub would be more effective.

Now again the age old question.....who starts?

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 17:00
Quote:
stairwaytoheaven
Clearly the summer signings Alibi, Waring, Rocco, Dunn are not up to the standard that MM expected, they certainly have not improved the team, if this guy is as good as Dylan then fair play to Micky for holding his hands up admitting the squad isn't good enough.
Is this a stop gap until Kirby is fit?

I think thats a fair comment, I would be thinking the club is trying to ship all 4 out + Mangan.

McDonagh looks OK, he scored 5 in 22 for Wrexham at the age of 18, now he's one year older, stronger and wiser.
Perhaps Baxter will complete the trio of signings.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 17:19
Obviously, I hope McDonagh is good, but I find this baffling. I thought Alabi was okay at Bromley. And wouldn't he benefit from wingers? And what about Waring? Okay, surplus to requirements at Stoke, but they're an established Premier League club. In a team that's been struggling for goals, how many minutes has he had on the pitch before now, presumably, moving further down the order?

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 17:51
I'll never question another addition up top in a squad not quite hitting the back of the net as frequently as it should.

That being said though, does make me wonder what the plan is for Alabi & Waring because they're also young and hungry.

Does give us the chance to change it up a bit more though, have to see what the lad has to offer before giving too much of a diagnosis.

P.S - Wirral Radio are adamant that Baxter isn't one of the 4 coming in.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 18:28
Quote:
dicko111
Are we wasting money again !! Just signed the above from Notts Forest on a months loan (another centre forward .WHAT !!!!
I agree but we probably shouldn't be surprised by this?
maybe this weekend he can dispense with Wharton on the bench and have 5 forwards only.
I fear with MM in charge and with his recruitment record and tactics we are destined for at best playoff lottery for the foreseeable future.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 19:18
Alabi s not up to it, no where near good enough, Not sure about Waring, is he back up for Cook, we don't have another option to Norwood so maybe this lad is back up or replacement to him, he's not a big forward at 5'10 and described by Wrexham last season as a CF who commits, so sounds like a live wire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 19:21 by Higgosboots.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 20:54
It certainly appears an implicit acknowledgement that summer signings were poor. Just as long as it is not an excuse to yet again omit Cook. He needs games and support and he will be sharper and our best hope for goals

pez
pez (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 03:33
I think Cook could well be sold in January to Notts Cty before he walks for free next Summer?

Maybe Mellon is gearing up for this situation and Cook might well be left out?

I do have to say though, Cook played well on Wednesday night and didnt look that p*ssed off really?

Just dont understand why hes brought in another striker when we really need another defender or midfielder?

If its not Cook whos off, then Alabi, Waring or Mangan might be off on loan maybe?

Id be tempted to send Dunn out on loan to sharpen him up maybe?

Sure it will unfold over the next few weeks.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 13:40
A striker for one month. I just don't get it. Surely our best chance is giving what we already have more minutes. I'm not a football manager though.

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 22:05
Unfortunately its what is needed right now. Without casting blame, I totally agree Alabi and Waring haven't been given a proper chance to establish themselves with new players around them. I fully support MM and while I don't relish a return to a team of loan players again, if it gets us up the league while we reform our team and tactics so be it...

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 08:51
Not against loan players if they are good enough and fit in,but at the start of the week there was talk about four new player's joining the squad nothing wrong with that.

But as the week by we've signed only two on one month contracts not what I wanted to hear,what was wanted at least to January (transfer window opens to include League Club's)when we could take stock.

As for the two we have signed it may have been better if they signed till the end of the season providing the home work was done on them.

Just don't want the revolving door as far as a settled first team squad with short term loans.

SeeJayKay
SeeJayKay (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 10:38
As long as we have the option to extend a months loan isn't a bad start and lets us take a look rather than using up budget and loan slot on a player that doesn't turn out to be what we want. Hopefully DMH will play from the start today and pick up where he left off.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:44
He looked pretty ordinary when he came on tbh

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 18:55
Quote:
the kav

Have to agree, His hold up play was poor. He had a great chance from a really flowing move with only the keeper to beat and shot straight at him. Based on todays brief appearance and what little we've seen of Waring, I would play Waring. Based on that assessment Mickey will play Alabi!

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 21:41
I'd send him back Monday morning, he was no better than what we have, send him back look elsewhere.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 21:52
Quote:
Robbie126
Quote:
the kav

Have to agree, His hold up play was poor. He had a great chance from a really flowing move with only the keeper to beat and shot straight at him. Based on todays brief appearance and what little we've seen of Waring, I would play Waring. Based on that assessment Mickey will play Alabi!
As my lad said at the time , he could see the keeper going to ground , all he had to do was chip it over him - goal !

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 03:55
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Robbie126
Quote:
the kav

As my lad said at the time , he could see the keeper going to ground , all he had to do was chip it over him - goal !
chip it, place it, blast it. Anything but tap it straight at him.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 08:41
Agree with H'boots.Send him back !

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 08:56
Let's give him a bit longer than half an hour in a derby in the pouring rain before we pass final judgment on him! Didn't really impose himself and winning headers clearly isn't his game but he was mobile and set up the chance that hit the post. Jury's out, for me.

Even though Chester were there for the taking, I thought they did a good job on Cookie and the substitution made sense at the time. Though ironically, as the chance McDonagh missed was from a fast move and facing goal, I'd have fancied Alabi to tuck it away.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

08 October, 2017 16:37
Exactly. It's little bit poor towards the player in some respects, that he plays half an hour and suddenly he's trash.

I don't know what people expect sometimes. He comes on as a sub for 30 minutes to replace last seasons top scorer who has had nearly 18 months training with the majority of the squad and twice as long in the match to score at least 1 and got nothing and is expected to do what exactly, especially being at the club for about 2 days.

Yes he was brought on to make an impact, assuming Cook had no underlying physical issue, that could have sidelined him if he'd played on, then it's a voluntary substitution not forced, but even so, I don't think Mellon would have seriously expected the guy to come on and score or set one up when his other more experienced players had not done so that game or in previous games too much. I suspect Mellon would have been hopeful of the player doing something positive but

Ironically, I'm not sure many if any people came on here when the guy signed recently and actually said what would been deemed acceptable from McDonagh by their standards, if he played any longer than 20 minutes.

Presumably though if Mellon dared to give a youth player 30 minutes the player would be spared a bit of harsh critique, or would he be dissed and described as no better than any current players and he should be loaned out to the NPL and then paid off the first chance the club gets.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 10:57
The only reason I can think we signed him was to make Alabi look good. A real turnip. What were we thinking of. Cannot run, jump, head the ball, hold it up or finish. Can I pay for his train fare back to Nottingham?

pez
pez (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 11:45
Didn't offer anything better than Waring and he cannot even get on the bench lately.

Just hope it's a blip and he gets better?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 12:16
The fact he earned himself a new contract at Forest less than three months ago suggests he might have something. Let's see.

Waring is more of a concern. Shrewsbury fans seemed mixed about him and Carlisle fans were almost unanimous in slating him when he was there last season. Hope it picks up for him but he's way behind Cookie in the pecking order and doesn't seem to have the game to play alongside him.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 22:07
Quote:
roger mellie
The only reason I can think we signed him was to make Alabi look good. A real turnip. What were we thinking of

Fairly simple. He got 17 goals I think with a few assists, for a club that now has professional standards again, but not quite the financial clout to afford players 20-30% better of the type Tranmere can afford to go for, who in theory would have supported Alabi to potentially get 20+ a season, due to said players theoretically costing more so being better.

Also the player could continue to live where he was and have no hassles moving a long way a way, so settling in should have been easier than say signing a player who was playing 200 miles away.

I don't hold it against Mellon for signing him, because no manager ever signs people they believe to be poor, otherwise that would make them look a total basket-case, but so far he obviously hasn't delivered and whether he can find any way to do so to any extent remains hazy for me.

I would be interested if he gets one soon, to see if he could find the confidence to then go on a little run of goals. I'm sure he's a decent guy and so far he has not disgraced himself personally or the club professionally, so his attitude would seem sound, but obviously well behaviour alone doesn't win you anything.

However unlike a very expensive Ukranian bought by a massive London club some years back, who was poor, should Alabi completely nail himself on as a dud signing by May, then at least he wouldn't represent a hideously expensive mistake that would be hard to forget.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

09 October, 2017 23:04
Except Alabi was signed on a 2 year contract was he not and to persuade him to move from Chester his wages won't be cheap at this level? And we are potentially liable for a development fee also although given his performances to date hopefully that is reducing all the time!
Alabi I can only assume scored his goals on the break at Chester - he is entirely ill suited to receiving the ball with his back to goal.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 08:55
Quote:
ADD
Except Alabi was signed on a 2 year contract was he not and to persuade him to move from Chester his wages won't be cheap at this level? And we are potentially liable for a development fee also although given his performances to date hopefully that is reducing all the time!
Alabi I can only assume scored his goals on the break at Chester - he is entirely ill suited to receiving the ball with his back to goal.

The ball that Norwood put through to Gerry McDonagh on Saturday against Chester ,I think Alabi may have put that away going on the basis that he can score 17 last season and the old maxim of scoring against your old club it's sod's law.

It ended up with Mellon not putting him on the other side of sod's law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 08:59 by BELMONT.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 20:09
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
roger mellie
The only reason I can think we signed him was to make Alabi look good. A real turnip. What were we thinking of

Fairly simple. He got 17 goals I think with a few assists, for a club that now has professional standards again, but not quite the financial clout to afford players 20-30% better of the type Tranmere can afford to go for, who in theory would have supported Alabi to potentially get 20+ a season, due to said players theoretically costing more so being better.

Also the player could continue to live where he was and have no hassles moving a long way a way, so settling in should have been easier than say signing a player who was playing 200 miles away.

I don't hold it against Mellon for signing him, because no manager ever signs people they believe to be poor, otherwise that would make them look a total basket-case, but so far he obviously hasn't delivered and whether he can find any way to do so to any extent remains hazy for me.

I would be interested if he gets one soon, to see if he could find the confidence to then go on a little run of goals. I'm sure he's a decent guy and so far he has not disgraced himself personally or the club professionally, so his attitude would seem sound, but obviously well behaviour alone doesn't win you anything.

However unlike a very expensive Ukranian bought by a massive London club some years back, who was poor, should Alabi completely nail himself on as a dud signing by May, then at least he wouldn't represent a hideously expensive mistake that would be hard to forget.

In layman terms, We gambelled on a @#$%& player based on one season.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 20:14
Quote:
Matt34
Exactly. It's little bit poor towards the player in some respects, that he plays half an hour and suddenly he's trash.
I don't know what people expect sometimes. He comes on as a sub for 30 minutes to replace last seasons top scorer who has had nearly 18 months training with the majority of the squad and twice as long in the match to score at least 1 and got nothing and is expected to do what exactly, especially being at the club for about 2 days.

Yes he was brought on to make an impact, assuming Cook had no underlying physical issue, that could have sidelined him if he'd played on, then it's a voluntary substitution not forced, but even so, I don't think Mellon would have seriously expected the guy to come on and score or set one up when his other more experienced players had not done so that game or in previous games too much. I suspect Mellon would have been hopeful of the player doing something positive but

Ironically, I'm not sure many if any people came on here when the guy signed recently and actually said what would been deemed acceptable from McDonagh by their standards, if he played any longer than 20 minutes.

Presumably though if Mellon dared to give a youth player 30 minutes the player would be spared a bit of harsh critique, or would he be dissed and described as no better than any current players and he should be loaned out to the NPL and then paid off the first chance the club gets.

I expect a professional centre forward who is an alleged improvement to have the composure and where with all that when one on one with the keeper with nobody else in the picture he shows some composure and takes it round the keeper to score, not stick his head down and toe poke the ball at the goalie. In that one segment of play he demonstrated he posses no more composure or ability than anyone we have already. Andy Cooks previous goal scoring ratio or service length has no relevant impact what so ever on that players ability to execute his task, and if it does affect him it reaffirms his lack of composure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 20:18 by Higgosboots.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 23:20
Quote:
Higgosboots
Andy Cooks previous goal scoring ratio or service length has no relevant impact what so ever on that players ability to execute his task

It does however have relevance as to whether the player with only half the time-frame to try and score and 2 days exposure to the squad, should be expected to exceed the output level on debut of a tried and proven striker who didn't score.

If this was someone swapping a job at somewhere like Tesco for one at Asda, with new work colleagues, slightly different work practices and a new location; would they be expected to be just as efficient as a member of the workforce, who was more trained in the ways of Asda and a year or more of Asda company experience?

No manager in that scenario would expect the employee to be the efficient equal or better of the other within 2-3 days of joining, because it's not exactly the same scenario, but then maybe they would because the person has worked previously in food retail with a company using touch screen checkouts, so you would be expected to be judged the equal or better of the second person if that was you, or would you expect to be allowed a settling in period and the occasional lapse of judgement, more than longer serving mortals at that company would be permitted.

The player subbed off who is supposedly tried and tested, has not scored too many this season thus far and didn't the other day, but the guy with less playing experience, 2 days of training with the squad and only 30 minutes to make an impact, should be expected to immediately be the equal or better of Cook, because he's not given any allowance for one or two lapses of judgement, or a mistake here or there?

Sorry but to me your expectations of McDonagh were then and are now bordering on harsh.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 23:26
But matt your dealing with so called tranmere fans who never give any1 a chance.there great great grandads didn't think dixie Dean scored enuff.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2017 23:40
I admit that sometimes with some people it's like trying to scale a wall using a couple of sink plungers and no safety harness.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 18:43
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Higgosboots
Andy Cooks previous goal scoring ratio or service length has no relevant impact what so ever on that players ability to execute his task

It does however have relevance as to whether the player with only half the time-frame to try and score and 2 days exposure to the squad, should be expected to exceed the output level on debut of a tried and proven striker who didn't score.

If this was someone swapping a job at somewhere like Tesco for one at Asda, with new work colleagues, slightly different work practices and a new location; would they be expected to be just as efficient as a member of the workforce, who was more trained in the ways of Asda and a year or more of Asda company experience?

No manager in that scenario would expect the employee to be the efficient equal or better of the other within 2-3 days of joining, because it's not exactly the same scenario, but then maybe they would because the person has worked previously in food retail with a company using touch screen checkouts, so you would be expected to be judged the equal or better of the second person if that was you, or would you expect to be allowed a settling in period and the occasional lapse of judgement, more than longer serving mortals at that company would be permitted.

The player subbed off who is supposedly tried and tested, has not scored too many this season thus far and didn't the other day, but the guy with less playing experience, 2 days of training with the squad and only 30 minutes to make an impact, should be expected to immediately be the equal or better of Cook, because he's not given any allowance for one or two lapses of judgement, or a mistake here or there?

Sorry but to me your expectations of McDonagh were then and are now bordering on harsh.

If we listen to MM he was signed as potential if he had that potential he would have scored his one on one, class is permanent, winners win, if he had what it takes he'd have scored irrelevant if the "pressure". The relationship with other players is irrelevant in the one on one scenario as it was a one on one, at that point he could have been playing at any ground in any competition in the world for any team, all he had to do was execute. If he can't handle the pressure of a debut in non league football I suspect he doesn't have the minerals to knock in the winner in the 96th minute of injury time in front of 20k in the play off final. We have plenty of people who can panick and toe end the ball at the goalie already.

Su- y- army
Su- y- army (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 19:59
OMG the poor lad played for 20 minutes in the pi$$ing down rain had one shot at goal and missed give him a chance for 4ksake
I think Messi might of missed a few one on ones in his career don't you!!!!!!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 22:02
Correct. Too soon to slag the lad off.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2017 22:38
Absolutely.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

12 October, 2017 21:42
Huh? Why he’s already played like 20 minutes? 😅

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net