football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Post Match MM/if you were MM would you start BT
30 September, 2017 18:28
Post Match Mellon Head had a slightly different tone this week, maybe a case of the win allowing him to be a bit more honest or a case of nonexcuses left, seemed to acknowledge that this group isn't good enough as it stands and that we need more flare. An acknowledgment that it's not just about silky skills and as much about digging in.

In respects of Tollit, acknowledging we lack flare, pace and the ability to go past players and the fact he's not fit do you start Tollit Wednesday. Personally I thick not, at this stage I feel he may offer something more coming on from the bench with 25-30 to go, he'll be fresh defenders will be starting to flag, he can mix it up and gives him the best chance to run riot.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

Re: Post Match MM/if you were MM would you start BT
30 September, 2017 18:42
Reckon he might give the new lad from Barnsley some game time as well as Tollitt but probably not both at the same time. 50/50 to me which of the two he starts with.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 18:48
Tollitt will get about 60 min.... dont expect too much for a month or so though

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 18:48
there must be a huge potential to play Tollitt, but I wouldn't start him on Wednesday, he needs to come back gradually probably used for 20 minutes at the end of the next few games until he can build back up match fitness.

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 19:17
It was the Chester game last season that their gamesmanship got him sent off!

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 21:22
If he's fit play him to get match fitness if he's not wait

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

30 September, 2017 22:43
I thought when I saw the title of this thread, it was about which media organisation Micky Mellon should speak to first after matches (Sm7)

Mellon's preferred rota for the cattle call.

Tranmere TV
Wirral News
Wirral Globe
Sky
Liverpool Echo
BT Sport.

Tollit was alleged to be fully fit by Mellon, but I suspect he'll start and only get 70-75 minutes, with the Barnsley lad Dylan getting the remainder of the pitch time that Tollit won't play, unless Mellon plans to dovetail them both into the team at the same time, for a reasonable length of time.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

01 October, 2017 14:11
Tollitt was a very serious injury and he needs easing back.Much as we need his flair we cannot afford him to be back on the bench for months.

Has anyone heard anything about Wallace and whether he is ever likely to be able to play a sustained run of matches

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

01 October, 2017 17:49
We so need wallaces passing ability he passes forward for a start

pez
pez (IP Logged)

01 October, 2017 18:14
Wallace will be out until at least January according to Mellon.

He's had to have another operation about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

We'd be better planning for life without him, even if he is eating up valuable cash.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Higgosboots
Post Match Mellon Head had a slightly different tone this week, maybe a case of the win allowing him to be a bit more honest or a case of nonexcuses left, seemed to acknowledge that this group isn't good enough as it stands and that we need more flare. An acknowledgment that it's not just about silky skills and as much about digging in.
In respects of Tollit, acknowledging we lack flare, pace and the ability to go past players and the fact he's not fit do you start Tollit Wednesday. Personally I thick not, at this stage I feel he may offer something more coming on from the bench with 25-30 to go, he'll be fresh defenders will be starting to flag, he can mix it up and gives him the best chance to run riot.

Mellon Head wrong again

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 19:38
Wallace is still in leg braces

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 21:31
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Higgosboots

Mellon Head wrong again

Even when we win and deserve to, still moans...

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 22:09
Also someone replying to their own posts that they've quoted. There can't be many sadder sights than that, with the possible exception of an abandoned wet dog by the roadside and people liking their own stuff on social media.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

04 October, 2017 22:54
Quote:
Matt34
Also someone replying to their own posts that they've quoted. There can't be many sadder sights than that, with the possible exception of an abandoned wet dog by the roadside and people liking their own stuff on social media.
Matt you're a tough man but you're right.

Wearepoo
Wearepoo (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 00:18
Haha spot on

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 06:45
Yes because the manger made yet another poor decision, when have you ever heard of a player being out 8 months and starting from the off especially in @#$%& wet weather. It's not like he's even been playing reserve football. As for wet dogs, that's up their with people who think Premier League players should be on our maybe list and writing on backs of stamps.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 16:56
Quote:
Higgosboots
Yes because the manger made yet another poor decision, when have you ever heard of a player being out 8 months and starting from the off especially in @#$%& wet weather. It's not like he's even been playing reserve football. As for wet dogs, that's up their with people who think Premier League players should be on our maybe list and writing on backs of stamps.

I don’t doubt for a second Tollitt would of started if not given the nod by the club doctor and physio first ... this isn’t pub football.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 17:20
Assuming Tollitt wasn't risking his injury - and it doesn't seem like he was - I'm not too fussed whether he played the first half hour or last half hour.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 17:45
If he hadn't played him last night and just sat him on the bench in the unbearable weather, MM would've gotten so much flak it's unbelievable (even more so if we'd have drawn or lost).

So for me, him playing the first 35 mins in the light rain while the pitch still held up is a damn sight better than the last 35 were any twinge would've been amplified on a heavy pitch.

MM's made the correct call regarding Tollit and the team last night and hopefully we get him for a full 45 on Saturday!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 22:41
Quote:
Higgosboots
Yes because the manger made yet another poor decision, when have you ever heard of a player being out 8 months and starting from the off especially in @#$%& wet weather

However some people were hanging their hat on him being a potential linchpin of some turnaround in form and by many accounts he was spot on in terms of physical ability to handle a start, because if the physio says yes he's good to go, why is it Mellon making the poor decision, when he'd be just going by what people with more medical knowledge than him said?

You blaming Mellon for acting on a physio's say-so, is like the public blaming Michael Fish 30 years ago for predicting a non-existent hurricane, when he was just the spokesperson for other peoples stats and data.

Also some people including some on here, were clamouring for him to start and had he been benched and shock horror, not even used, do you think Mellon would have garnered 0% flak for his decision making.

There is the old saying you can't please all the people all of the time, but Mellon is fighting a losing battle, because anything he does regardless of what it is, gets a certain percentage of people on his back, when in the last 7-10 days it could be argued that at the very least, he shouldn't be getting any grief for things that have happened during that time period, only for things happening prior to that time period.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 03:47
I think most managers would have played Tollitt after the run weve been on?

As stated, he will have been assessed by the physio and club training staff to ensure hes fit enough to play.

He even said himself he felt fitter and stronger.

The condition of the pitch was probably a main issue for him and has more than likely set him back a few weeks unless like is being stated, hes fractured his kneecap?

We'll probably find out later at the Pre Match Press Conference.

Ben Tollitt Out
05 October, 2017 19:10
Heard he might be sidelined for 12 weeks after last night.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Ben Tollitt Out
05 October, 2017 19:25
Said on his twitter feed last night the "little knock" didn't seem to bad, must admit I whined a little when that lad clipped his foot for the free kick after the injury he's had it's not what you want. Hopefully not out that long, just can not see why he started him, not having the may as well get 30 minutes at the beginning as the end, not really all players are fresh in the first 30 and in game plan mode, they have been told to be right at him, and Ultimatley if you bring him in it's a managers decision as opposed last nights enforced change.

05 October, 2017 19:30
Think in Mickys defence it was dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Start him, bring him on 20 to go would it have changed the outcome?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 19:36
Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
Think in Mickys defence it was dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Start him, bring him on 20 to go would it have changed the outcome?

Not sure, think we would all have excepted being told he needs introducing back gently, bigger picture and that, GPS ultimately to blame "His numbers are great". Hopefully he's ok anyway.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 21:16
The rumours is like the op says 12 wks, fractured knee. Let's hope it is just a rumour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 21:19 by 2 the moon.

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 21:43
His godfather has confirmed its a fractured knee cap. 12 weeks out. Cant help but feel sorry for the lad!

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 21:53
Quote:
Briantrfc
His godfather has confirmed its a fractured knee cap. 12 weeks out. Cant help but feel sorry for the lad!
Well that's not good...I am guessing it could have happened in any game, on the positive side (if there is one) its not a ligament injury again so should be a quicker recovery.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

05 October, 2017 22:39
Should not have played last night,it was the wrong night to bring him back, A sunny afternoon on a Saturday may have been the right moment perhaps against Chester from the bench.

But last night it was heavy and prolonged rain was forecasted,it arrived during the game and the pitch got heavier for someone who has been out for that long.

If we had been in the top four, winning well I don't think he would have played but Mellon perhaps was pressing a panic button in playing Tollitt wanting something different on the pitch.

A better option may have been to play the lad from Barnsley from the start.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 06:22
Gutted, not just for the lad, but us as well. We have waited this long for some talent, what's 12 weeks.😥

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 07:38
Very poor decision to play him from the start .and not the weather for it .20 minutes against Chester would have made more sense and slowly built the time he played up .i really wonder about Mellon sometimes .once the Barnsley lad leaves we will be back to square one .i don't get this on loan for a month thing ,by the time they have gelled with the team then they leave .

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 08:51
The knee is such a delicate joint. Having had an ACL reconstruction myself this is really bad news. I took a big hit playing footy and while the ACL remained fine (it takes a lot of force to break a new ACL as in theory it is 4 times stronger) the secondary damage to the other soft tissues has caused other issues.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 08:57
Why is it wrong to play him this week when all the medical advice available says he's fit and ready? The weather was the weather, we cannot only play when it's nice and sunny.

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 09:02
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Not once, either before the game or while it was in progress, did I hear anyone say that Ben should not have played. Speaking to people prior to kick off and all over social media, everyone was saying they were delighted he was back. He then gets injured, nothing to to do with his previous cruciate injury, and so many are now saying he should not have started, MM has panicked, wrong pitch etc etc etc.

It really seems some people are only happy when criticising.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 09:12
That's right yardley

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 11:19
Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere
Why is it wrong to play him this week when all the medical advice available says he's fit and ready? The weather was the weather, we cannot only play when it's nice and sunny.

That's true we can't always play when it's sunny, but when you have a player coming back after a long layoff on a very wet night and getting worse as the night drew on with the pitch getting heavier even the local forecast predicated long periods of heavy rain.

It was not the right conditions for a come back more like Mellon having a panic on just to change things, if we were playing well and sitting in the top four Tollitt may not have played. Should have played the new lad from the start only because of that weather.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 14:25
Well said Belmont of course we all wanted him back ,but to throw him in the deep end after such a long lay off was not the right choice 20 mins Wednesday and Against Chester then assessed him again not many players coming back from a long lay off get to start a full game ,to me that's not looking out for the lad ,more like an act of desperation

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 15:06
Quote:
Briantrfc

A Godfather confirming broken kneecaps.....he probably made him an offer he refused.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 15:22
As I understand it, this injury has nothing to do with his old injury and nothing to do with the conditions. He said he took a knock. Could happen any time. What's Mellon going to be blamed for next?

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 15:35
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
As I understand it, this injury has nothing to do with his old injury and nothing to do with the conditions. He said he took a knock. Could happen any time. What's Mellon going to be blamed for next?
For playing Tollitt on Wednesday night,if the the weather had been dry and the pitch not so heavy with water due to the rain Tottitt may have moved quicker and got out of the way of the knock.😀

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 15:54
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Well said Belmont of course we all wanted him back ,but to throw him in the deep end after such a long lay off was not the right choice 20 mins Wednesday and Against Chester then assessed him again not many players coming back from a long lay off get to start a full game ,to me that's not looking out for the lad ,more like an act of desperation
maybe could of tried him in the shallow end first !

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

Tollitt out for 12 weeks
06 October, 2017 12:40
Seems it been confirmed out for 12 weeks.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

Re: Tollitt out for 12 weeks
06 October, 2017 13:37
Yes 12wks. Gutted for Ben and a big blow to Rovers. Here's to 2018 bringing him better luck.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Tollitt out for 12 weeks
06 October, 2017 15:57
Let's hope that DMH's debut performance wasn't a flash in the pan and he proves to be a suitable replacement for Tollitt.

I'm hoping DMH can provide the flare we need to win games and go on a decent run in the league.

He's here for a month initially but I would imagine that is negotiable between the two clubs?

Still not sure why we've signed another striker though?

Would have rather seen another midfielder come of a similar style to Wallace. (I don't mean a sick note player btw).

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 17:14
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Not once, either before the game or while it was in progress, did I hear anyone say that Ben should not have played. Speaking to people prior to kick off and all over social media, everyone was saying they were delighted he was back. He then gets injured, nothing to to do with his previous cruciate injury, and so many are now saying he should not have started, MM has panicked, wrong pitch etc etc etc.

You don't need to rely on hindsight when you have foresight, as per my earlier comments he shouldn't play give him 25 minutes. It is not a repeat of the injury but an injury sustained through desperation and lack of match fitness. It's fine belting up and down solar campus, running through cones and playing 2 touch with your mates. I can tell you from personal experience NOTHING can replicate competition and the stresses and strains this puts on you. ACL can be career ending and it's for all these reasons, the repair maybe stronger but it's the collateral damage you can legislate for. Coming on for the last 20 if the game allows means everyone else is tired and he would be far fresher to compete comparatively. We all know Davies team talk would have been centred on BT once he saw the sheet, get into him, kick him welcome him back to the NL.

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 18:19
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

You don't need to rely on hindsight when you have foresight, as per my earlier comments he shouldn't play give him 25 minutes. It is not a repeat of the injury but an injury sustained through desperation and lack of match fitness. It's fine belting up and down solar campus, running through cones and playing 2 touch with your mates. I can tell you from personal experience NOTHING can replicate competition and the stresses and strains this puts on you. ACL can be career ending and it's for all these reasons, the repair maybe stronger but it's the collateral damage you can legislate for. Coming on for the last 20 if the game allows means everyone else is tired and he would be far fresher to compete comparatively. We all know Davies team talk would have been centred on BT once he saw the sheet, get into him, kick him welcome him back to the NL.

Sorry if I missed it but, prior to kick off, where and when did you post/comment that Ben should not have started. I would also think that prior to selection MM would have sought the views of the club doctor, physio, possibly the surgeon and BT himself. Unless of course you know otherwise. The injury he sustained on Wednesday could have happened anytime and tackles are more likely to be mis timed in the last twenty minutes when the pitch is heavier and defenders tired.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 18:44
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

Sorry if I missed it but, prior to kick off, where and when did you post/comment that Ben should not have started. I would also think that prior to selection MM would have sought the views of the club doctor, physio, possibly the surgeon and BT himself. Unless of course you know otherwise. The injury he sustained on Wednesday could have happened anytime and tackles are more likely to be mis timed in the last twenty minutes when the pitch is heavier and defenders tired.

Right at the top of this thread when I said personally I wouldn't start him! An it wouldn't be like a football club to utilise a player who's not fit would it? The body is more susceptible to "those unrelated" injuries when not fit. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 18:47 by Higgosboots.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 19:41
Maybe you should have made him a paper mache bandage from all of those ripped up £20 notes to wrap around his knee.

For that reason, his injury is more your fault than MM's (Sm151)

In all seriousness though, he did take quite a kick about 5mins before going off. Going to happen on any type of pitch in any game in this league.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 October, 2017 20:14
Quote:
rossb07
Maybe you should have made him a paper mache bandage from all of those ripped up £20 notes to wrap around his knee.
For that reason, his injury is more your fault than MM's (Sm151)

In all seriousness though, he did take quite a kick about 5mins before going off. Going to happen on any type of pitch in any game in this league.

I winced when he had that air shot after the lad kicked him, that hurt my knee! And I reckon at that point you wouldn't have wanted to be Mangan sat behind Micky, (Sm159)

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

07 October, 2017 11:05
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

Right at the top of this thread when I said personally I wouldn't start him! An it wouldn't be like a football club to utilise a player who's not fit would it? The body is more susceptible to "those unrelated" injuries when not fit. drinking smiley

Your original post was more of a should we or shouldn’t we start Ben, and you concluding that personally you wouldn’t start him. It’s then a big leap to ‘Mellon Head getting it wrong again’ and ‘just cannot see why he started’.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net