football
Latest News:

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

A Strange, Sad Fact
24 September, 2017 20:15
In the National League North, there are six clubs (some re-formed) which used to be in the Football League : York, Bradford Park Avenue, Stockport, Darlington, Kidderminster, Southport. In the National League South, there are none. This is probably a reflection of the way our economy has gone.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: A Strange, Sad Fact
24 September, 2017 20:38
Southport, BPA and Kidderminster are to me valid, but not like the others you mentioned, as their longevity in combined football league years does not span as much as York, Darlington and Stockport.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

HardlyYardley

24 September, 2017 20:56
Quote:
Matt34
Southport, BPA and Kidderminster are to me valid, but not like the others you mentioned, as their longevity in combined football league years does not span as much as York, Darlington and Stockport.

When I was young, Southport (local derby, of course) and Bradford P.A. (I remember seeing a young Kevin Hector play for them before joning Clough's great Derby side) were regular visitors to Prenton Park at a time when (rightly or wrongly) Football League status was pretty much guaranteed, even for Hartlepool who were so often bottom. I agree that Kidderminster don't have much League history, but they have been there, whereas no-one in the South section has ever been there.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 21:26
True Kidderminster have been there when Jan Molby was Manager.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 21:29
I think the Prem and Championship should pxxs off to Europe and leave the football league to the proper football clubs- old league or non league (except FGR obviously)

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 22:27
Who is the most southern club in the national league north? I can't bare to look!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 22:43
Brackley I think though Leamington can't be too far away. I think Gloucester City who are in the NLS may have spent some time in NLN

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 22:45
Quote:
mini_andy
Who is the most southern club in the national league north? I can't bare to look!

It's Brackley Town in Northants, not far from Silverstone. In recent years there's also been Oxford City, Gloucester City and, believe it or not, Bishop's Stortford...handy for Stansted airport!

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 03:21
I remember going to Bradford park avenue .and in 50s/60s teams played Christmas Day /Boxing Day played same team both days usually Southport or Chester .no computerised fixture list so it was contrived that teams played the nearest to them .nothing better then to wake up Christmas morning and see my new casey and football boots and off to the game. it would be packed out happy days

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 06:26
Off topic slightly, but New Brighton Tower were in the league for 3 years many moons ago, they played at the Tower Ground which had a capacity of 100k! They folded after 3 years due to the financial difficulties the parent company suffered. They later reformed as New Broghton AFC and played in the league again for a few years before being voted out, there biggest crowd in the league was against Rovers of nearly 15K, some of our fans of a superior vintage may remember watching them.

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 08:14
I believe Stockport are planning to go full-time again next season in a hope it will get them back into the NL and further.

Incidentally, New Brighton Tower FC's short stay in the league was in the old division 2 as Divisions 3 North and South hadn't been formed then. More recently, in the 70s, I used to watch banger and stock car racing at their former ground (now a housing estate).

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 08:38
We used to go there and watch us in Cheshire league always a few thousand at games.Im not quite old enough to have seen them in the league.

Fiftyyearsarover

25 September, 2017 09:29
I used to take my 3boys to the banger racing at new Brighton by that time it was a dump .my claim to fame is I was at the New Brighton tower ballroom bopping away the night it burned down .we used to go on the fair ,a few beers then into the dance to chat up some unfortunate maiden .it was a wonderful place ,they should have rebuilt it ,all the Liverpool girls would come over great venue

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:29
I was always under the impression that NB Tower were a club created just because there was a ground there. They just sprang into being as a fully formed club and had no history or fan base behind it. There was no real connection to the later NB club.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:54
The fact is that MM has put together a squad that do not perform together. Slow, aged players (counting on experience I guess), are proving not to be the answer and that reflects very badly against MM - releasing so many from the 'reserves' at the end of last season (several who showed real prospects I feel, appears also to be a negative move in squad continuity, more so as their 'replacements' do not show the desire to 'give it their all'), while also re-signing so many 'injured' players appears ludicrous at this level. It'S all going horribly wrong for MM and it's his decisions that are at the root of it all. The training ground to first team performances must now seriously be questioned - it must seem obvious to all by all the comments posted here. Solutions, given the length of contract terms - release the highest wage earners (Davies, Cook and McNulty I presume), at the end of this season to provide additional income for perhaps five new signings (my thought here is that Pilling could be in goal, Gumbs replaces McNulty and a new forward plus support players arrive). Several players need to 'adjust' their own performances within this squad (Hughes, Dunn etc - and right now), - Norwood appears to be playing out of position, he started as a left winger/forward - so why is he being played on the right wing? - there are many strange decisions from 'management' it is not worth mentioning them all. Start with shooting practice, aim for the bloody goal - it is NOT acceptable for a professional player to just belt a ball high and wide in open play - any fool can do that. MP must be seething at the quality of players and how they operate, MM please take note.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 11:34
There is a funny you tube video doing the rounds which shows how the fans of FC Magdeburg in Germany tried to help their non scoring team . I don't know how to download it but I think its youtube.com/watch?v=II5K2hQDSz0 i anyone can help

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 12:13
Quote:
Hoots Mon
There is a funny you tube video doing the rounds which shows how the fans of FC Magdeburg in Germany tried to help their non scoring team . I don't know how to download it but I think its youtube.com/watch?v=II5K2hQDSz0 i anyone can help

[www.youtube.com]

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 12:19
Quote:
rossb07
Quote:
Hoots Mon

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Ross .Its actually shown better on the one minute 12 clip on the right

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 15:42
Ha ha good that

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 16:37
Quote:
Higgosboots
Off topic slightly, but New Brighton Tower were in the league for 3 years many moons ago, they played at the Tower Ground which had a capacity of 100k! They folded after 3 years due to the financial difficulties the parent company suffered. They later reformed as New Broghton AFC and played in the league again for a few years before being voted out, there biggest crowd in the league was against Rovers of nearly 15K, some of our fans of a superior vintage may remember watching them.
It was the first away game that I went to in 49/50 season

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 17:47
This thread got me wondering what has happened to ex-league side Workington. A quick Google search showed they play in the Northern Premier League. I remember beating them 6-0 in our promotion winning season of 1975-76. What would we give to score 6 now!! (Or even one!!).

Fiftyyearsarover

25 September, 2017 18:54
Workington town still going ,a few years ago trucking for Tesco ,I had Tesco Whitehaven /Workington on board and Tesco Workington is next to the football ground ,sad to say it was a mess looks as if nothing had been done for years .but things might have changed .i sat outside the stadium having my dinner reflecting on the sad scene .i can't even remember what colours they played in it was so long ago when last I seen them

Fiftyyearsarover

25 September, 2017 19:01
Dougiesghost .new Brighton tower was I think bigger than Blackpool tower ,ballroom at the top .had a large fairground adjacent to it with a pub as well. you could have the fair,pub ballroom all together ,had some really good nights

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 19:28
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Dougiesghost .new Brighton tower was I think bigger than Blackpool tower ,ballroom at the top .had a large fairground adjacent to it with a pub as well. you could have the fair,pub ballroom all together ,had some really good nights

Jesus 50, how old are you? The tower was demolished in 1921 😂

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 19:34
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Jesus 50, how old are you? The tower was demolished in 1921 😂

The Tower was 1921 but the Tower ballroom was about 1969.If DevonExile went in 1949/50 season , then he's almost Seventyyearsarover!!

HardlyYardley

25 September, 2017 19:40
Saw Workington a couple of times. Not sure now, but think they played (at least, at Prenton Park) in a sort of yellow/gold with blue trimmings?

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 20:03
As an avid devourer of the Subbuteo kit posters for many years in the 1960s and '70s I am guessing:

York, Red with white sleeves

Bradford Park Avenue, white with a two-coloured band across their chests. Can't remeber what they wore when visiting.

Stockport, Blue with white stripes

Darlington, White with black shorts

Kidderminster,Dunno... after my time, maybe red and white stripes

Southport. Yellow

Workington Red

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 20:09
i have nothing to do with this site but love it...

[www.historicalkits.co.uk]

HardlyYardley

25 September, 2017 20:10
Quote:
Yiggsy
As an avid devourer of the Subbuteo kit posters for many years in the 1960s and '70s I am guessing:
York, Red with white sleeves

Bradford Park Avenue, white with a two-coloured band across their chests. Can't remeber what they wore when visiting.

Stockport, Blue with white stripes

Darlington, White with black shorts

Kidderminster,Dunno... after my time, maybe red and white stripes

Southport. Yellow

Workington Red

Yes, you're right - I may have been mixing up Workington and Southport, but maybe Workington had an away strip, though red wouldn't have clashed with ours? Some team had quarters (two darkish colours) on their shirts like the old Backburn Rovers.

HardlyYardley

25 September, 2017 20:41
Quote:
Yiggsy

Brilliant site! That's the rest of my evening gone!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 21:10
Think it might of been them who replaced new Brighton but can't think who replaced them ?

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

26 September, 2017 03:58
Had a good look thru those historical kits and that early 90s Brighton & HA tesco shopping bag kit still churns my stomach to this day. Its those shorts that does it, lol. Cant remember if they wore them at wembley in 1991 in their play off final vs notts county which was the day after we beat bolton.

MESSAGES->author

26 September, 2017 04:22
Good to see my all time fave rovers home shirt too, from the 79/80 season. The white umbro top with the TRFC lettering and the blue diagonal band with storeton motors advertising and the umbro's down the long sleeves..that was also the season when the matchday programme was a newspaper and not the usual pamphlet form. If they were ever to replicate that 79/80 top I would defo buy it but it would have to come in 5XL size. Lol.

Fiftyyearsarover

26 September, 2017 15:13
Well if you had not scoffed all that food at Wembley HKR you might get a shirt to fit you 😃 And I am getting on a bit ,but rather harsh for tranmerefan to suggest I was about in 1921 no the tower fire was in the 60s and it was then demolished

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

26 September, 2017 19:39
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
Yiggsy

Brilliant site! That's the rest of my evening gone!

Indeed! Just noticed FGR in there and they appear to have been around for much, much longer than I ever imagined.

However, as soon as DV turns up they change from an amiable Notts County lookalike to the neon vamps of today.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

26 September, 2017 20:53
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Well if you had not scoffed all that food at Wembley HKR you might get a shirt to fit you 😃 And I am getting on a bit ,but rather harsh for tranmerefan to suggest I was about in 1921 no the tower fire was in the 60s and it was then demolished

Yes, you would of been nearly as old as the club 😅 Your doing well, good to hear your only around 20 years older than as the Main stand 👍🙂

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 20:54 by TranmereFan.

Fiftyyearsarover

26 September, 2017 22:42
Cheers for that .i shall have my Horlicks and hopefully won't die in my sleep 😃 And yes I was at the opening of the new stand and I remember the old wooden one to

HardlyYardley

27 September, 2017 11:11
I remember the old wooden stand. I was at a reserve match (I remember us having a reserve team too!) when Mandy Hill made a wild mis-kick, the ball shot into the (sparsely populated) stand and hit a very young lad straight in the face. He disappeared. It was a sheer drop beneath the foot planks. Looking really alarmed, Mandy jumped over the hoardings into the stand. Fortunately, the lad reappeared and was okay.

MESSAGES->author

27 September, 2017 13:46
on the subject of historical kits..over the years tranmere have had many different coloured away kits, blue, black, yellow, gold, green, purple etc, but I cant recall us ever having a red coloured away kit. does anyone know if we have? eric Nixon sometimes wore a red keepers jersey and I am pretty sure in the early 80s bryan Hamilton era our away top was the silky orange Adidas top but can't ever recall seeing us play in a red kit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 13:48 by hong kong rover.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 15:43
Quote:
HardlyYardley
I remember the old wooden stand. I was at a reserve match (I remember us having a reserve team too!) when Mandy Hill made a wild mis-kick, the ball shot into the (sparsely populated) stand and hit a very young lad straight in the face. He disappeared. It was a sheer drop beneath the foot planks. Looking really alarmed, Mandy jumped over the hoardings into the stand. Fortunately, the lad reappeared and was okay.
we used to sneak under the stand the day after a game and pick up all the loose change dropped down the gaps .surprising how much there was.

HardlyYardley

27 September, 2017 17:23
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
HardlyYardley
we used to sneak under the stand the day after a game and pick up all the loose change dropped down the gaps .surprising how much there was.

Wish I'd thought of that. Worrying to think of fag butts smouldering under there, though.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 18:02
Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
HardlyYardley

Wish I'd thought of that. Worrying to think of fag butts smouldering under there, though.
it was deffo a potentially ticking time bomb.Stan Mathews the groundsman used to chase us.maybe we were stealing his perks !

Fiftyyearsarover

27 September, 2017 18:23
Spot on Loyden.i gave an insight a while back on how it was 1950s at the game for a young lad .everybody wore a cap and everybody smoked some cigs some pipes so imagine all the stubs dropped in the stands it could have been an earlier Bradford City type fire

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 21:06
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Spot on Loyden.i gave an insight a while back on how it was 1950s at the game for a young lad .everybody wore a cap and everybody smoked some cigs some pipes so imagine all the stubs dropped in the stands it could have been an earlier Bradford City type fire

I always thought Bury's wooden stand was a fire trap. I remember sitting in it and thinking just that when Ian Muir scored twice and we drew 2-2

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 21:42
Hey hoots if u think about it there's loads we been to that were dodgy.Rochdale doncaster bury (still the same maybe )and on the day of bradford fire I sat in another tinder box at Exeter.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

27 September, 2017 22:25
Quote:
Loyden1
Hey hoots if u think about it there's loads we been to that were dodgy.Rochdale doncaster bury (still the same maybe )and on the day of bradford fire I sat in another tinder box at Exeter.

I was at home the day of the Bradford fire-horrifying beyond belief even watching it on TV

MESSAGES->author

27 September, 2017 22:59
I was playing snooker in the argyle snooker club on argyle street when the Bradford fire came up as the headline on the main news on the tv. everyone in the club stopped playing and we all gathered round the tv in the snooker club to watch those awful events..i watched a really interesting documentary a few years ago about the Bradford fire. its believed that they can actually pinpoint from the exact seat where the ciggy butt that caused the fire fell from. apparently it was carelessy discarded from a fan and it fell thru a knothole in the wooden floor of the stand. I can never forget the pictures and commentary from Yorkshire tvs commentator, john helm that day. he was commentating from the opposite side of the ground.. on you tube there is a clip of the original radio broadcast from pennine radio, its absolutely frightening to listen to, pretty sure they were actually in that stand. you can just sense the panic and it ends with the 2 radio commentators having to very quickly evacuate..the then Bradford chairman, stefford heginbotham, who was a local businessman , had had some of his work properties suspiciously go up in flames and a few times he had put in fire insurance claims for his buisnesses but it has been stated that nothing sinister went on at Bradford that day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 23:03 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

27 September, 2017 23:40
I remember years ago reading about this away fan ( cant remember which club ) and he had driven about 2 hours to Bradford city to watch a game but during his journey the game was called off coz of bad weather, so when he arrived at the ground to be told the news that the game was off, he got back in his car , went and had a look at the house that the Yorkshire Ripper lived in, which is in Bradford, and then turned round for his 2 hour journey back home, lol... the only time I have arrived at a ground to be told that the game was off was back in the early/ mid 80s and we had an evening div 4 game at crewes gresty road. me and my pal drove and we left the wirral about 6pm with light rain in the air,but during the short journey the heavens really opened and it absolutely hammered down, anyway we arrived in crewe about 7pm and could see that the floodlights weren't on and we saw this policeman in his waterproof tunic near the ground, so we pulled over, wound down the window and the copper said sorry lads they've just called the game off about 10 mins ago ( waterlogged pitch ) so me and my pal found a KFC/Wimpy ( cant remember which )in crewe , had some fried chicken and then drove back home.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 00:04 by hong kong rover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net