football
Latest News:

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

Out
23 September, 2017 16:06
Another defeat. No imagination. Can't score against 10 men after 15 mins. That's enough. Out now.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

Re: Out
23 September, 2017 16:08
Micky Is a good manager, who do you want in ?

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:08
Ned?

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:15
Dave kelly or dave challinor or mick mouse

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:24
People say Micky out and can't say realistic re-placement, so flawed...

Davey Jones
Davey Jones (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:25
We are not scoring because nobody from midfield is running into the box and taking a chance. If this has come from the manager then MM obviously has no clue. If it is coming from the players they are not good enough and need to move on.
Too much football played in front of opposition. At least MM is right that nobody plays football like us, everybody else actually has a set of balls.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 16:25
Quote:
trfc-boi

Ned?

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:27
Its stating the obvious that something has drastically gone wrong! MM may be a 'good manager' TRFC but he is well underperforming at present and doesn't seem to know or have the options on how to improve matters. The players are equally at fault and have to share a large proportion of the blame for our dismal displays but they are here to stay, some unfortunately!!! A new manager is now needed before it's to late and we slide even further down the league structure. We may not improve but Mr P surely has to recognise that we can not carry on like this. The fan base will dwindle, smaller revenue to purchase players and years in the wilderness otherwise.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 16:32
The club can't afford to sack Mellon. By completely wasting all the budget on players like Buxton, Dunn, Alabi, Mangan and Waring its actually worked for him because there simply is no money to pay off his contract. The only way is if he does the decent thing and resigns, because we are heading in one direction and it is not the one we would wish.

Ned would get us out of this mess, but we can't afford him. All we can do is move Mellon to Director of Football and give the job to Jacko.... unless he resigns.

Shrews fans did warn us!

HardlyYardley

23 September, 2017 16:34
I assume MP appoints the manager so it's up to him. If he hasn't already had someone in mind as a possible replacement then he should have. MM is a "good manager" in the sense that (as he keeps saying) we have "goalscorers". The problem is they're not scoring goals and he's not managing well.

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:34
Lee Hodges - Truro City...see my earlier post performing absolute miracles down this neck of the woods. Anything has to be better than a manager that is happy to have 6 back to 1 striker when the opposition are down to 10 men.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 16:38
Its no secret that MP is a good mate of Moore.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:46
Moore would be big mistake, he is done and past it. Wish people wouldn't see him through rose tinted glasses. We need to move past old managers.
Would be surprised if Mellon is sacked.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 16:54
Quote:
ming05
Moore would be big mistake, he is done and past it. Wish people wouldn't see him through rose tinted glasses. We need to move past old managers.
Would be surprised if Mellon is sacked.

Moore would be a mistake. But MP has the habit of screwing up.

If money is the issue then offer MM Director of Football - if he refuses he is out, then make Jacko caretaker manager and see how he gets on. Former captain like Mellon, but a fitness freak and disciplinarian, maybe what we need to stabilize us.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 16:59
If we did sack him MP would have to thrash out some kind of deal with him which is going to cost the club. Will it help ?. Who knows but we can't continue like this.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:03
Managers are judged by results.I have always thought that unfair as performance can matter just as much.There are times when a team is in transition and not getting results but you can see what they are trying to do,
Sadly there is no hint of that in our situation.Recuitment has been woeful both in terms of individuals and in terms of forging a balanced squad.Performances have been depressing and we really do look more like relegation material than promotion contenders.
It is hard to find any case for retaining Mellon. It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that he needs to go without knowing who the replacement will be.Football is never short of potential would be managers.
We may not easily be able to pay of Mellon but there is a cost to the balance sheet in the draining of confidence that could see gates drop like a stone for they have held up so far because people have believed that we'd will mount a promotion campaign.
There is much to be said for having a long term manager.Paul Tilson at Exeter has done wonders for Exeter but he has always managed restricted resources well.It is very disappointing that the more the team has been shaped by MM the poorer it has looked.
He looks like a an that has lost all self confidence.
The question for me is whether there is a danger that we could sink to a relegation fight.At present there are far more grounds to think that is a more likely outcome than we make any sort of play off place

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:10
I'm giving him another few games. Best we can do is playoffs this year and a few more games won't stop that.

The obvious fear is..... nothing seems to be working.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 17:22
Quote:
Hardly Irons
I'm giving him another few games. Best we can do is playoffs this year and a few more games won't stop that.
The obvious fear is..... nothing seems to be working.

Over quarter of the season is now gone, how many more times do we say "give him another few games". I'm afraid we need to make the change right now if we are to stand a chance of staying up this season.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:26
There are a few players that need replacing before the Manager is canned!

Norwood is not a striker! He's absolutely awful!

Dunn is another player who should not be here, he's too slow to get past his last man and gets caught out every time he goes forward.

McNulty has been a good player in his day, but the time has come for him to be used as a sub, and be used as back up from the bench.

I don't know if Mellon will be sacked, but I will say that the players let us down today.

We look slow, unfit and clueless against 10 men? Hardly promotion form is it?

The reality is were close to the NLN than the Football League!

Message to the "Micky Mellon Fluffers" Do you really think Micky Mellon is good enough to get us promoted?

I await your response with baited breath!

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:26
There's nobody to come in. The ones we would want we couldn't afford, it'd cost to get rid of Mickey and it'd be too risky getting someone unproven.

Only Harry Redknapp would be available if he decided to manage for free.

Lepton119
Lepton119 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:41
Ronnie would come back in a heartbeat. Give him a contract until the end of the season and then reassess.
Mellon OUT

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 17:45
I'd love to see David Kelly as our manager!

He's a decent coach and has a good history with the club.

It's going to cost whoever we bring in, but it's going to cost us more if we drop out to the NLN

Heswall Boy
Heswall Boy (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:01
If Micky Mellon goes which I doubt and a new manager is installed. Which squad players does he keep from this bunch of losers.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 18:07
Quote:
pez
I'd love to see David Kelly as our manager!
He's a decent coach and has a good history with the club.

It's going to cost whoever we bring in, but it's going to cost us more if we drop out to the NLN

+1 !

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:24
Quote:
trfc-boi

+1

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:35
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
trfc-boi

+1

Really? What do you base your comments on?

From the 12 games so far he's looking a tad below par in my honest opinion!

Basically he's absolute dog shite!

He needs to go!

I appreciate that the members of "Micky Mellon Fluffers Club" will totally disagree, but FFS he's proven yet again he's a clueless f*ckwit and hasn't got a chance of winning this league!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:38
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

If he came back,I and many others will be gone.

chrisprover
chrisprover (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:41
Mellon should go I only listened on radio but midfield was not supporting strikers throughout the game they were down to 10 men we should have moved more men forward and got the ball in the box then, but we decide to concede a goal and then only in the extra time 10 mins try to go for it has to be manergerial problem find some money get rid and yes Mr Moore would be 100 percent better at the moment. Where was the half time talk or was it be patient and wear them down crap.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:43
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
trfc-boi

+1

Really? What do you base your comments on?

From the 12 games so far he's looking a tad below par in my honest opinion!

Basically he's absolute dog shite!

He needs to go!

I appreciate that the members of "Micky Mellon Fluffers Club" will totally disagree, but FFS he's proven yet again he's a clueless f*ckwit and hasn't got a chance of winning this league!

I'm with you Pez. You just cannot defend the indefensible. Played ok 1st half but abject in the 2nd. Mickey has zero half time motivational skills or has the faintest idea how to influence a game and yet again waits until we go behind to make a change.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:47
Quote:
chrisprover
Mellon should go I only listened on radio but midfield was not supporting strikers throughout the game they were down to 10 men we should have moved more men forward and got the ball in the box then, but we decide to concede a goal and then only in the extra time 10 mins try to go for it has to be manergerial problem find some money get rid and yes Mr Moore would be 100 percent better at the moment. Where was the half time talk or was it be patient and wear them down crap.

Just after half time Connor Jennings headed wide when it looked easier to score. If he'd scored that,we'd have won comfortably. Cook and Alabi also missed absolute sitters in the second half.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:58
Everyone can see what's wrong apart from Mellon, Gary Jones on Wirral radio said the same as Rob Edwards who said the same as Dave Higgins who said the same as people on here, I think it's become a battle of wills now for Micky as opposed a job of seeking promotion, he would rather arrogantly dig his heels in than except he's made mistakes in some of the signings. Alabi looked better first half but he lacks quality. Can someone also explain why we waited til the 80th minute or more to chuck Waring on, as soon as they scored he should have been on.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 18:58
Bad misses but it keeps happening. Don't know the answer but for god's sake surely Ronnie is not it

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 19:27
Quote:
trfc-boi

Martin Allen my no1 choice(maybe a nob but he'd get us out the league), Steve Cotteril, Billy Davies, Nigel Adkins

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 19:36
He needs to go now. I would give Parky a go from the youth team whilst we have a look around.

HardlyYardley

23 September, 2017 20:00
In his post-match interview, MM looks defeated in terms of what to do. Maybe he knows he will be gone. He said the team was the same as that which was "rampant" last season but he's totally wrong. 3 players left and 3 were injured long-term. And we're set up differently. Even if Tollit comes back in sparkling form, we can't pin all our hopes on him. What if he's marked out of games or gets injured again? Ronaldo's a brilliant player but Real Madrid aren't dependent on him. If the players lack confidence, how will that return under a manager who has also clearly lost confdence?

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:24
Not Ronnie again please

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:30
Or Martin Allen

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:31
Are all these misses in front of goal deliberate by the players as a crafty way of saying to the fans we are not playing for the manager.
As I don't think even Rovers players could miss that many chances not to score in 8 games without it being deliberate,
I would think with a new manager Rovers would go into the first game and score 3 or 4 whoever they played.

Vagabondo
Vagabondo (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:44
I don't understand the David Kelly enthusiasm to be honest even though I think we are in trouble now. Ronnie make some sense to me as a proven fixer of declining teams.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:49
Shame we treated Wayne Alison badly when he was coach, I think he would have been good manager

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:51
David Kelly was a decent number 2 to Ray Matthias, and his quality as a player was great.

When he left, we slid down the table and Ray got the bullet!

He's been in demand at other league clubs so why not?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 20:59

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 21:25
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

It doesn't need to be a secret as they played in the same team together and Moore roomed with Palios on one or the others debut.

As for trying to be another Mystic Meg, Kelly would have just as much potential to keep the team struggling, rather than "get them out of this mess".

That does not mean that if things continue and Palios feels forced to relieve Mellon of his post, that he shouldn't consider Kelly, but it's strange how some people hanker for a Tranmere manager not to sign former players, but when said former players have been managers, suddenly that's okay.

So presumably someone like Kelly or Harvey or Challinor would automatically provide some magic bullet for failing form, just because they used to play for Tranmere, but they should avoid signing players like Ryan Taylor, Chris Dagnell or Marc McNulty as examples, because they would add nothing to form. So presumably Dagnell and Taylor should retire now and go from offering nothing to being good enough to get you 2 promotions within 24 hours.

I'm not saying Tranmere should suddenly try to get Taylor, Dagnell or Mcnulty, but when someone has the stance of no former players one minute, then suddenly oh wait but person X is okay because they've stopped playing and would give us wonderful peaches and cream football, it feels like you end up with some strange kind of rose tinted perspective, based on if a former player has stopped playing or still plays.

As for potential replacements, so far there are few credible suggestions on this thread, save the suggestion about the Truro manager, it's just one or two ex-Tranmere people as usual.

Frankly If it came to it, I'd avoid Martin Allen like the plague. He has some kind of attitude about him and the way he got Notts County to play, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the car park let alone the team.

Should Mellon see a parting of the ways with his team in the coming few weeks, I would not be adverse to Parkinson or Kelly taking over, but frankly I'd like the owner to consider various options.

Such options could include anyone who is managing a club that is currently top 3 / 4 in the NLN, NLS WPL, both Irish leagues, SCC, Scots Div 1, or a league like Championnat National, Segunda Liga B etc, as even foreign managers could have connections useful in bringing in talent and a potentially fresh training perspective, that may be more of the continental persuasion than British and Irish clubs may implement, which assumes admittedly there may be differences in how British and Irish clubs train players compared to continental ones.

Oldham have bolstered up with a few foreign players this season and Sheridan has no prior playing or managerial experience in a foreign country, not that foreigners should be a priority, from a playing or managerial perspective, but they should not be overlooked either.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 21:40
The players have been poor but so have Mellons signings and his team selection and tactics seem to be all over the place.In the final analysis it is the manager that picks the team,the tactics, and who is responsible for motivating players.

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 22:05
Quote:
HardlyYardley
In his post-match interview, MM looks defeated in terms of what to do. Maybe he knows he will be gone. He said the team was the same as that which was "rampant" last season but he's totally wrong. 3 players left and 3 were injured long-term. And we're set up differently. Even if Tollit comes back in sparkling form, we can't pin all our hopes on him. What if he's marked out of games or gets injured again? Ronaldo's a brilliant player but Real Madrid aren't dependent on him. If the players lack confidence, how will that return under a manager who has also clearly lost confdence?

well they weren't rampant in that final which was one of the most miserable days pout for Tranmere supporters. They were a shambles.

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 22:22
Quote:
pez
David Kelly was a decent number 2 to Ray Matthias, and his quality as a player was great.

Kelly is currently helping Port Vale on a possible trip to the National League although he might be on his way when they appoint a new manager plus he has no experience as a manager and has always said he prefers to be an assistant not the main man.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 22:41
Quote:
jim rockford
Quote:
pez

Kelly is currently helping Port Vale on a possible trip to the National League although he might be on his way when they appoint a new manager plus he has no experience as a manager and has always said he prefers to be an assistant not the main man.

We know, but maybe the time has come for him to step up to the plate?

Knowing the current attitude of M.P, he won't even be on the radar.

Palios won't sack Mellon, so it's more of the same until the penny drops!

Viking Tranmere

23 September, 2017 22:59
Seems like an eternity since Ned was here.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 00:13
Can't we just support the Manager and team in the hour of need? Rather than jumping on the OUT OUT OUT bandwagon? ... we had a great season last season... we are going through a mega bad patch right now. I like Mellon as a man, and not jumping in the out camp so early into a poor spell. Does my head in chnaging managers every 5 minutes. Every team goes through a bad patch at times.

camdenshrew
camdenshrew (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 03:33
Shrews' fan here in peace again. I feel sorry for you. Talk about history repeating itself.

1. In his final season, Mellon stank the place out with his constant chopping and changing of the side and tactics, characterised by an almost complete lack of support and service for the strikers. No pace. No width. It seemed to me like he was setting the side up all the time to counter the opposition rather than playing to what strengths we had.

2. We also regularly fell behind in his final season in charge and once we did, it was normally curtains because he had little idea of how to retrieve the situation.

3. We were also a shambles in terms of our disciplinary record with dismissals and booking galore. We ended up being hauled before the FA because of our record. When the new manager came in, he was staggered to find there was no system to fine the players for poor discipline.

4. I also understand Mellon is now taking out his frustrations on reporters in post-match interviews for asking perfectly valid questions. Ditto.

5. We also had our fair share of fans who kept up with the "In Mellon We Trust" rubbish and claiming there was nobody better out there. Don't believe it. It's rubbish. Paul Hurst has been absolutely fantastic.

If I were Palios, I'd get rid of him now because it's not going to get any better.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 07:31 by camdenshrew.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 06:57
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Viking Tranmere

It doesn't need to be a secret as they played in the same team together and Moore roomed with Palios on one or the others debut.

As for trying to be another Mystic Meg, Kelly would have just as much potential to keep the team struggling, rather than "get them out of this mess".

That does not mean that if things continue and Palios feels forced to relieve Mellon of his post, that he shouldn't consider Kelly, but it's strange how some people hanker for a Tranmere manager not to sign former players, but when said former players have been managers, suddenly that's okay.

So presumably someone like Kelly or Harvey or Challinor would automatically provide some magic bullet for failing form, just because they used to play for Tranmere, but they should avoid signing players like Ryan Taylor, Chris Dagnell or Marc McNulty as examples, because they would add nothing to form. So presumably Dagnell and Taylor should retire now and go from offering nothing to being good enough to get you 2 promotions within 24 hours.

I'm not saying Tranmere should suddenly try to get Taylor, Dagnell or Mcnulty, but when someone has the stance of no former players one minute, then suddenly oh wait but person X is okay because they've stopped playing and would give us wonderful peaches and cream football, it feels like you end up with some strange kind of rose tinted perspective, based on if a former player has stopped playing or still plays.

As for potential replacements, so far there are few credible suggestions on this thread, save the suggestion about the Truro manager, it's just one or two ex-Tranmere people as usual.

Frankly If it came to it, I'd avoid Martin Allen like the plague. He has some kind of attitude about him and the way he got Notts County to play, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the car park let alone the team.

Should Mellon see a parting of the ways with his team in the coming few weeks, I would not be adverse to Parkinson or Kelly taking over, but frankly I'd like the owner to consider various options.

Such options could include anyone who is managing a club that is currently top 3 / 4 in the NLN, NLS WPL, both Irish leagues, SCC, Scots Div 1, or a league like Championnat National, Segunda Liga B etc, as even foreign managers could have connections useful in bringing in talent and a potentially fresh training perspective, that may be more of the continental persuasion than British and Irish clubs may implement, which assumes admittedly there may be differences in how British and Irish clubs train players compared to continental ones.

Oldham have bolstered up with a few foreign players this season and Sheridan has no prior playing or managerial experience in a foreign country, not that foreigners should be a priority, from a playing or managerial perspective, but they should not be overlooked either.

You don't like Martin Allen because if his style of play, what a winning one? No question we would not fold under him and would have battle, fight and a passion. Surely what matter should is the results not the style in which we achieve them.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 07:32
If micky goes, and I am saying IF, then who could manage us? We have had both experienced and inexperienced managers that have failed at rovers in recent years. it wouldnt have to be an experienced manager and it wouldnt have to be one with NL experience. A good young novice man manager that is still playing or has just hung up his boots. One that can connect with his players. Eg player manager kevin nolan. Very new to the management game but he is doing the business at the moment with notts county, not sure if county have money though, but nevertheless he is still doing well. Had a very short stint as manager at orient during the chaos when they were changing boss every 3 months, and in that very short lived time n mayhem that he was boss at brisbane rd he did ok. Nolan as far as I know is still registered as a player, and is only 35 yrs old. He could still play. And his position as an industrious midfielder that scored a few goals in his career is what rovers could really do with. Nolan managing us and running our midfield out on the pitch too, just a thought. Plus he is a scouser too ( not that that really matters )..I know he is fresh to the management game but pretty much every management appointment at any club is a gamble.. after saying all this about nolan, he has just signed a 3 yr contract at notts co... so IF micky goes then how about a midfielding player manager, in a similar mould to nolan, that connects with his players both on and off the field, coming to tranmere.? It might be just the thing to get us and our midfield ticking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 07:55 by hong kong rover.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 08:11
After a nights lack of sleep and thought, I'm backing Mickey.

We started our run with him at this point last year and I reckon it will come again. Please quote me on this at the end of the season, we're too good to go down.

I'm by no means a fluffers, but am happy to give him to the Chester game.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 08:12
PS.. nolan taught danny cowley a lesson or two yesterday. Notts co might very well have taken a gamble with him but he seems to be ticking the boxes for them

Viking Tranmere

24 September, 2017 08:21
I like the suggestion that someone made earlier of Parky.
He has done a superb job with the Academy and would cost us absolutely nothing.

The young Academy players who are now ready to come through - and replacing the unfit shambles that currently represent us - would have a Manager they fully respect. These lads would keep us in the National this season and next season with that extra nous and experience, would be ready to push us back to the League.

Micky? Thanks very much now move on, or become of Director of Football.

Viking Tranmere

24 September, 2017 08:35
Quote:
mini_andy
He needs to go now. I would give Parky a go from the youth team whilst we have a look around.

smileys with beer

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 08:44
Brian clough was an amazing manager but he was not too good to get forest relegated, ive been a mellon supporter throughout this crisis but the time is right now we have scored once in 5 games , i know im banging on but john askey would have been ideal but hes been snapped up by port vale....we have the players it looks like tactics and motivation is the issue

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 08:50
yes give Parky ago .put Gumbs in can't do any worse ,but really don't know who we could get to be next manager no one stands out ,the rovers job is a poison chalice

Viking Tranmere

24 September, 2017 09:02
Quote:
the kav
Brian clough was an amazing manager but he was not too good to get forest relegated, ive been a mellon supporter throughout this crisis but the time is right now we have scored once in 5 games , i know im banging on but john askey would have been ideal but hes been snapped up by port vale....we have the players it looks like tactics and motivation is the issue

interesting, that means Ned - current caretaker there - might be available. He could link up well with Parky (fellow team mates in that unforgettable 1999-2000 season, possibly the best season to be a Tranmere fan).

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 09:08
Management is about day to day decisions and about medium term decisions that shape the make up of a side and the way it plays. Last season MM appeared to be making sound day to day decisions up to the Wembley final. The medium term decisions were less clear cut as he inherited a squad. His signings last season where mixed but that was understandable in a mid season period. Since then his signings have been very mediocre and we have gone backwards not just in terms of results but also performances. In the process he gives every sign of not knowing how to get things sorted and changes seem to be rather like those from supporters based on the give them a turn theory rather than a clear idea of how to set up.
Much has been made of the budget.It may not be the best in this division but it is certainly enough to sustain a side that can challenge but resources have been wasted,including the signing of a permanently vulnerable Wallace.We do not have the resources to spend again to cover mistakes.
It is this above all that leaves Mellon found wanting. The few more games to turn things round is reasonable when injuries and form lead to a poor run but this seems deeper.His decisions have resulted to a weaker squad and a few games more will not change that.
With this squad our chances of promotion are very low and the chance of relegation so what higher. A new manager will not transform that and we may have to write this season off but it would give someone time to assess,shape and then gradually recruit for next year.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 09:18
It's said we have the players, but have we. In the first 10 minutes yesterday our defence looked a shambles. Too slow when they ran at us.

How often have I heard "it was a good point because we were down to 10 men" now I'm hearing it's hard to play against 10 men. WTF. Do they really expect us to take this crap.

No one is irreplaceable in any job and MM isn't either. If MP had the money, he would be gone now.

It's now too late to change manager, we just have to continue with our blind faith and hope to dear god that things will change.

Viking Tranmere

24 September, 2017 13:31
Quote:
aktrfc
It's said we have the players, but have we. In the first 10 minutes yesterday our defence looked a shambles. Too slow when they ran at us.
How often have I heard "it was a good point because we were down to 10 men" now I'm hearing it's hard to play against 10 men. WTF. Do they really expect us to take this crap.

No one is irreplaceable in any job and MM isn't either. If MP had the money, he would be gone now.

It's now too late to change manager, we just have to continue with our blind faith and hope to dear god that things will change.

How can a defence with Fatty and McFat in it possibly be too slow?

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 15:07
Quote:
Higgosboots
You don't like Martin Allen because if his style of play, what a winning one? No question we would not fold under him and would have battle, fight and a passion. Surely what matter should is the results not the style in which we achieve them.

Not noticed us fold against anyone this season. Third best defence and worst attack stats when I looked at the table. They don't stop running, they simply run out of ideas (and they don't have that many to start with).

As for Martin Allen, I'm assuming you've never had a problem with the antics of a lot of the teams he's brought here over the years then.

Anyway Mark Cooper should be available soon if you like the gamesmanship type of approach to the game.

HardlyYardley

24 September, 2017 15:20
One of the obvious signs of a good manager is what he does at half-time to influence the outcome of the match. At half-time, yesterday, Wrexham had already been down to ten men for half an hour. What signs are there that MM said or did anything at half-time which was likely to produce a goal (or, dare I say it, goals) and a win? Were we better in the second half? And how many times this season can we say that M has done a good job at half-time?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 15:24
Quote:
Team Spirit

Anyway Mark Cooper should be available soon if you like the gamesmanship type of approach to the game.

One of Cooper's zealots was here for about 15 minutes-how clearly it showed.

Viking Tranmere

24 September, 2017 16:46
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Team Spirit

One of Cooper's zealots was here for about 15 minutes-how clearly it showed.

(Sm6)

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 17:01
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

Not noticed us fold against anyone this season. Third best defence and worst attack stats when I looked at the table. They don't stop running, they simply run out of ideas (and they don't have that many to start with).

As for Martin Allen, I'm assuming you've never had a problem with the antics of a lot of the teams he's brought here over the years then.

No never had any problem, it's all part of the game, it's not just about knocking it across the back four. We don't run out of ideas we don't have any to start with. We are incapable of breaking down defences and that isn't a new thing, we have pretty much the same attacking force and nothing has changed in the time we've been a non league club.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 17:27
Quote:
Higgosboots
No never had any problem, it's all part of the game, it's not just about knocking it across the back four. We don't run out of ideas we don't have any to start with. We are incapable of breaking down defences and that isn't a new thing, we have pretty much the same attacking force and nothing has changed in the time we've been a non league club.

So when Notts County put on that horror show here a few years ago it was all OK? You happily smiled through FGR's Wembley nonsense when all around you were doing their nut?

Really?

It's not part of the game, it's a cynical manipulation of it. We rose up the leagues under Kingy without that kind of sh*te and I won't head for the lowest common denominator as an answer to our current problems. Not saying we couldn't do with a bit of steel in the team just like we had with Higgy, Bishop, Crackers etc. but I can do without the snide gamesmanship stuff that you think is OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 17:29 by Team Spirit.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 17:49
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

So when Notts County put on that horror show here a few years ago it was all OK? You happily smiled through FGR's Wembley nonsense when all around you were doing their nut?

Really?

It's not part of the game, it's a cynical manipulation of it. We rose up the leagues under Kingy without that kind of sh*te and I won't head for the lowest common denominator as an answer to our current problems. Not saying we couldn't do with a bit of steel in the team just like we had with Higgy, Bishop, Crackers etc. but I can do without the snide gamesmanship stuff that you think is OK.
+1

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 18:14
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

Really?

It's part of the game like it or not, professional sport is equally as much about who can hack it as who has the ability, no good having one without the other as you won't succeed. We rose up the leagues without it under Kingy, Did we? Are you sure or was it more subtle. Remember the Daf final v Bristol, Saunders was threw one on one but he was offside, the whistle had gone he didn't hear Nico did and allowed him to go past before flattening him, why do you think he did that, big red flag, come near me again you pacey tricky striker and your getting flattened. You don't recall Aldo's whines and moans and fing and geffing and constantly in the ears of the defenders winding them up. Never played cricket or heard the field barracking the batsman.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 18:19
Martin Allen cut a very sorry figure in his last job at Eastleigh. He could well be finished as a manager.

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 18:37
Quote:
HardlyYardley
One of the obvious signs of a good manager is what he does at half-time to influence the outcome of the match. At half-time, yesterday, Wrexham had already been down to ten men for half an hour. What signs are there that MM said or did anything at half-time which was likely to produce a goal (or, dare I say it, goals) and a win? Were we better in the second half? And how many times this season can we say that M has done a good job at half-time?

This is one of my big issues with MM, he has zero impact on team performance in 2nd halves of games. And this goes back to last season (remember Wembley?) He seems to have no motivational or tactical skills. His substitutes are always after something has happened, normally a goal conceded, and never to try and change the course of a match.
I get that he's an ex-player and to some he can do no wrong but 12 games in we are going backwards.

Team Spirit
Team Spirit (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 18:45
Quote:
Higgosboots
It's part of the game like it or not, professional sport is equally as much about who can hack it as who has the ability, no good having one without the other as you won't succeed. We rose up the leagues without it under Kingy, Did we? Are you sure or was it more subtle. Remember the Daf final v Bristol, Saunders was threw one on one but he was offside, the whistle had gone he didn't hear Nico did and allowed him to go past before flattening him, why do you think he did that, big red flag, come near me again you pacey tricky striker and your getting flattened. You don't recall Aldo's whines and moans and fing and geffing and constantly in the ears of the defenders winding them up. Never played cricket or heard the field barracking the batsman.

The subtlety you refer to is not the gamesmanship that characterises the Allen/Cooper approach. Go down, stay down under any challenge. Dispute every decision. Time waste whenever possible etc.

As I said, we had tough characters in the likes of Higgy, Crackers etc. who would run through a brick wall for us and stood up when it came to the personal battles but we never played with that attitude across the team.

Big difference in my opinion.

HardlyYardley

24 September, 2017 19:11
I'm really puzzled as to what we do in training all week? Our players and staff are (at least in name) professionals. Some players are overweight and not properly fit. We have very little to offer in terms of set pieces. We can't get past defences. We can't cross well. We hardly have a Plan A let alone a Plan B - we just carry on doing the same thing even when it's clearly not working. We fail to score, we fail to win, we fail to entertain. Players like Cantona and Ronaldo had/have innate skill and talent but they also train(ed) hard. Do our players? Do they practice ball control, dribbling, shooting and, if so, do they improve? If not, why not? MM keeps talking about improving players, but it doesn't seem to be happening. They are being paid as professionals and we are paying to see a professional team. But they don't seem like one. Which semi-pro side wouldn't relish meeting us? Like everyone, I had hoped MM would be the right manager to take us back into the League but either he doesn't know how to get the team playing (in which case he should go because that's the manager's job) or they won't play for him (in which case, perhaps they should go but, in reality, that can't be done so, again, he should go). Of course,there may be important factors we don't know, but, unless MM has good reasons for believing that he really can turn this round, I hope he'll admit defeat, rather than just looking defeated, and resign, freeing up the money to get someone else in.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 19:36
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Team Spirit
Quote:
Higgosboots

Really?

Not part of the women's game thankfully, as witnessed on Tuesday. It's down to the officials to deal with the "gamesmanship"; but you won't have a word said against them either.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 20:28
I agree with the stuff about gamesmanship. It might be part of the game but it shouldn't be and it's for referees, individual FA's, FIFA and it's subsidiary's to do more to stamp it out, not for clubs who are not indulgent in it to adopt dirty, cheating playing tactics.

Sinking to the lowest common denominator is cheap behaviour and would further harm the image of football and considering in the last 2-3 years the damage it's officialdom has done to it, loads of clubs trying to screw the system with a low rent football style is not what's needed to better or maintain the sports image.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

HardlyYardley

24 September, 2017 20:50
I'd like the Fair Play table to have some real meaning and reward (maybe extra points?) and for us to top it. Some things (e.g. diving) aren't always easy for the ref to judge at the time but other things (e.g. surrounding the ref) are and should be punished. If necessary, teams should keep having players sent off. If a match has to be abandoned, the culpable team should lose the match plus several extra points and I'm pretty sure they won't do it again. If necessary, play thirty minutes extra time or, if a team clocks up ten minutes time wasting, award a goal against them. I'd also like throw-ins to be taken from approx. the right place - otherwise, it becomes ridiculous. If a player takes 3 throw-ins from a significantly wrong place, book him. He'll stop doing it. The objection to strictly enforcing rules is that it breaks up the game, but that is precisely what a lot of cheating teams are trying to do so why not break up the game by punishing them?

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 08:59
Well the silence out of PP is deafening so I guess Mickey has had a stay of execution. That being the case, time to bring in some of the young boys. My team for Bromley:

Pilling, Buxton Gumbs Sutton Clarke, Harris Norburn Tollitt Rokka, Cook Waring

Obviously I know MM will never pick this 11 but surely worth a punt!! I've stuck with Cookie, can't drop him even though he's not been great recently. Tollitt gets in a game early, worth a start for 60 mins. I would tell them just to go out and play, take on your man, give 100% for the shirt and enjoy it!! SWA!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 09:02 by Robbie126.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:02
Makes you wonder if Cookie is deliberately playing shite?

On the worst run in his career atm, cinidence? You decide?

beb end regular
beb end regular (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:05
Quote:
pez
?

Get the feeling that this might mirror the impact of Garno being 'moved' from the coaching team!

Robbie126
Robbie126 (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:06
Quote:
pez
Makes you wonder if Cookie is deliberately playing shite?
On the worst run in his career atm, cinidence? You decide?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do think he's not motivated hence not giving his usual 100% but then again the service to him has been sh**e. Change of players around him could do him the world of good. Just needs one of his towering headers to hit the back of the net and he'll be away!!

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 11:29
Quote:
HardlyYardley
I'd like the Fair Play table to have some real meaning and reward (maybe extra points?) and for us to top it.

I've always thought that it should be part of a reclassified goal difference.

I don't like the fact that goal difference can encourage teams to accept a s-0 defeat, not wanting a thrashing. It can encourage negative ends to matches, with one team not wanting to concede more, and the other not wanting to let their opponents back in. If the 'goals' element was just how many goals you win by (i.e., 0 is added to the goal difference for defeats) it would end that, as a team 2-0 down might as well go for it, as they might in a cup game. I would also cap goal difference to 4 goals (winning 4-0 or 7-0 is often meaningless).

If you then have a system were teams were deducted a 'goal' for every red card, and every booking after their third (i.e.., -1 for 4 bookings, -2 for 5 bookings etc.) it would start to make a difference.

This would mean that teams on equal points would be distinguished by the size of their wins, the consistency of their winning margins and the number of bookings, rather than the a few large wins/defeats dominating the tie-breaker.

T

Viking Tranmere

25 September, 2017 12:51
Quote:
Robbie126
Well the silence out of PP is deafening so I guess Mickey has had a stay of execution. That being the case, time to bring in some of the young boys. My team for Bromley:

Obviously I know MM will never pick this 11 but surely worth a punt!! I've stuck with Cookie, can't drop him even though he's not been great recently. Tollitt gets in a game early, worth a start for 60 mins. I would tell them just to go out and play, take on your man, give 100% for the shirt and enjoy it!! SWA!!!
4-4-2:

Pilling,
Sutton, Gumbs Drysdale Ridehalgh
Mitch Jennings, Norburn, Clarke,
Tollitt, Waring

pez
pez (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 13:10
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
Robbie126

4-4-2:

Pilling,
Tollitt, Waring

Drysdale is not under contract and being the subject of rumoured transfer to several Championship Clubs can leave at any time. Any move would not be affected by the Transfer Window as hes technically a Free Agent.
With this in mind, there is no point in putting him in your lineup, he will probably be gone in a few weeks.

Pilling and Clarke are good shouts as well as Gumbs.

The 2 Macs are too slow at the back and we need to get a player in whos at least pacey and as good as Ihiekwe if thats possible?

McEverley is a huge mistake and needs binning off the first chance we get.

I fear that Cook could well go in the next window with Notts County making a bid to buy his last 6 months off us. This may well be the case if Mellon stays that long.

We'll get a better idea of whats needed once Tollitt returns and see if we improve with him in the team?

Need another decent winger with pace to balance the other wing and give us attacking options down both wings.
Failure to add balance will no doubt make Tollitt a target for the thugs in this league to take out and injure to prevent us playing with pace.

Viking Tranmere

25 September, 2017 13:43
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
Robbie126

4-4-2:

Pilling,
Tollitt, Waring

Drysdale is not under contract and being the subject of rumoured transfer to several Championship Clubs can leave at any time. Any move would not be affected by the Transfer Window as hes technically a Free Agent.
With this in mind, there is no point in putting him in your lineup, he will probably be gone in a few weeks.

The 2 Macs are too slow at the back and we need to get a player in whos at least pacey and as good as Ihiekwe if thats possible?

I fear that Cook could well go in the next window with Notts County making a bid to buy his last 6 months off us. This may well be the case if Mellon stays that long.

We'll get a better idea of whats needed once Tollitt returns and see if we improve with him in the team?

Need another decent winger with pace to balance the other wing and give us attacking options down both wings.
Failure to add balance will no doubt make Tollitt a target for the thugs in this league to take out and injure to prevent us playing with pace.

Buxton - if he could be made to lose most of that excess - could be a useful tough/powerful holding centre mid where his lack of pace would not be critical, and give that protection to Tollitt.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 18:52
All fine opinions except good as Luke is what's Scott done to be dropped?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 19:37
Not a bad shout dropping Davies, so long as he dropped to ship out and free up budget. He's not done any wrong and been probably the best player, however Pilling is well thought of and has youth international experience. We could fetch good money for Davies, whilst increasing the value of Pilling, freeing up 2k a week and not looking any the weaker for it. We are already paying Pilling, I'd quite happily see Davies sold to spend that 2k on a centre forward or Pacey centre half, even if you paid them 2.5k a week your only 500 sheets lighter a week and received a transfer fee.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 19:44 by Higgosboots.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 23:24
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Quote:
Robbie126

4-4-2:

Pilling,
Tollitt, Waring

I know I have had people knocking me already but I don't care if Drysdale may go shortly as a free agent. He equally may not but given we pick Duggan for 2 games, then drop him, pick Gumbs for 2 games and then drop him we can just as easily play Drysdale and Gumbs at the back for a couple of games which gives some pace so we don't have 5 back marking 1 attacker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net