football
Latest News:

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)

Declan Drysdale
22 September, 2017 11:26
So Birmingham and Fulham want him???????

pez
pez (IP Logged)

Re: Declan Drysdale
22 September, 2017 11:48
As long as the deal includes sell on clauses to our benefit then it would be a shame to prevent the lads progress.

They would only be buying potential, but could develop him into a decent player.

Not seen anything about this in the media though?

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 11:56
Would be a good move for the lad, if we can get £100k and a 20% sell on then it would be a good deal.

[www.hitc.com]

pez
pez (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 12:02
Sounds very promising for him.

It's a shame to lose such a good young player, but it's a part of the set up at our level.

The big guns are always going to cherry pick players from the lower leagues.

Let's hope we get a decent amount for him and he goes on to make it at a higher level.

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 12:06
Why isn't he in our team if B'ngham & Fulham want him? IMO he should be playing for us along side Gumbs instead of the oldies who have all cost us points with their sendings off this season.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 12:22
Quote:
Kennel
Why isn't he in our team if B'ngham & Fulham want him? IMO he should be playing for us along side Gumbs instead of the oldies who have all cost us points with their sendings off this season.

Maybe he's not ready for first team but they see potential that they think they can develop

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 12:39
Would rather see him play for us (along with other youngsters, Pilling, Gumbs & Clarke) and give him the chance to develop in to another Iheikwe, so that we get the benefit out of him on the pitch, rather than sell him and buy another Alabi

beb end regular
beb end regular (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 13:14
This seems to be the business plan, need to sell youngsters if we are to generate money for any other signings.
Understand lots of scouts at youth team games at present

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 15:06
Quote:
roger mellie
Would rather see him play for us (along with other youngsters, Pilling, Gumbs & Clarke) and give him the chance to develop in to another Iheikwe, so that we get the benefit out of him on the pitch, rather than sell him and buy another Alabi
If true this is symptomatic sadly of MM's current thinking. He has not even made the bench for us yet (Maidenhead game was a one off) but he is considered a prospect by Fulham and Birmingham. McE is suspended and McN only trained Thursday as had a virus during week so not fully fit so let's go for it then and see how good he is before we part with him for next to nothing. Gumbs and Drysdale to start would be interesting in a flat back 4.
That said I am not holding my breath or betting my life savings on that but if we start with McN and do not have a defender on the bench tomorrow....

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 15:33
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
roger mellie
If true this is symptomatic sadly of MM's current thinking. He has not even made the bench for us yet (Maidenhead game was a one off) but he is considered a prospect by Fulham and Birmingham. McE is suspended and McN only trained Thursday as had a virus during week so not fully fit so let's go for it then and see how good he is before we part with him for next to nothing. Gumbs and Drysdale to start would be interesting in a flat back 4.
That said I am not holding my breath or betting my life savings on that but if we start with McN and do not have a defender on the bench tomorrow....
He played at Maidstone last year along side Gumbs and they both looked good at the back. I am not sure I'd have them both in against Wrexham, some experience is probably required, I'd pick either one over McEverly.

22 September, 2017 17:53
Great for a young lad who lost his Dad a couple of years ago. I'm sure he will be smiling from heaven. RIP.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 18:16
The best business plan is when you get a couple of seasons play from a youngster before selling on. Others teams play youngsters but we seem to prefer flawed down trending players such as McEverly.
Drysdale may not be ready but his performance at Maidstone suggests he would get better through playing

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 20:16
Angers me that we don't see the potential in our own players... and I don't get angry easily.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

22 September, 2017 21:26
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
Angers me that we don't see the potential in our own players... and I don't get angry easily.
It is a pity that we don't bring players on like we used to. I was looking back at our playoff final against Bolton, Thoas/Garnet/Branan all very young player, but given their chance.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 09:21
According to Matt Jones (Radio Journalist) young Drysdale rejected the offer of a Professional Contract this Summer, so unfortunately we'll only get a development fee.

Should be able to negotiate the fee hopefully?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 10:24
Quote:
pez
According to Matt Jones (Radio Journalist) young Drysdale rejected the offer of a Professional Contract this Summer....

That vindicates the manager for not selecting him in the first team squad.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 10:37
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
pez
According to Matt Jones (Radio Journalist) young Drysdale rejected the offer of a Professional Contract this Summer....

It also explains why he's been allowed to train with both Birmingham and Fulham so they can take a closer look at him?

Nothing you can do once they have their heads turned.

Good luck to him though, wherever he ends up going to.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 11:09
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
pez

I am sorry but why? I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs but maybe he simply wanted to continue his education in case things didn't work out for him as a footballer.If he signed a professional contract which would be at the lowest end salary wise as a first year professional he would be required to train every day and would not be able to continue his education. Assuming he is fit enough I don't think that decision should stop MM picking him.... and even if he does move on surely we could have argued for a higher development fee if he had played more than the 1 first team game. This way we potentially have the worst of both worlds, losing him for next to nothing and not having seen if he is genuinely good enough.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 12:16
By not signing a deal at Rovers, but going to Birmingham and Fulham with a view to them offering him a deal, I think his intention is to play professional football, not go to college?

He's made his intentions clear to me? He wants to play at the highest level he can.

We will get a substantial fee based on the fact we offered him a contract.

You can't force a player to sign a contract, so Micky has made a decision based on the players refusal to sign for Rovers.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 12:31
Pez you slightly missed my point. Maybe you know different but I assume that he was offered a 1 year low end salary contract as a first year pro for Tranmere?

That is a very different kettle of fish to potentially a multi year contract from a Championship side who naturally can afford to take a punt on a youngster and pay far more money than we can.

What upsets me is MM bringing McE straight back into the side when clearly only half fit who then gets himself sent off rather than pick Gumbs or indeed Drysdale. His contractual situation to me as a youngster is irrelevant - if he is good enough he should have been considered in my view.

Good luck to the lad anyhow.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 12:47
What's the point in playing Drysdale if he is leaving?

There is no point in dropping contracted players to accommodate someone who is leaving?

He may well be good enough, but he wants to move on, so we give our contracted players the opportunity over him.

That said, there are others who are contracted but don't seem to be getting any opportunity too. Gumbs, Duggan etc.

Maybe Micky panics a bit when it comes to using young players?

Imo though, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Tollitt is only young, but I bet Micky gives him a lot more than 20 minutes once in a while?

Not that Tollitt shouldn't be playing, but the others youngsters give their all and will not develop without being given a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 12:58 by pez.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

23 September, 2017 13:09
Fair point if he leaving now but that is a very recent development so doesn't explain earlier in the season.
Just seen the stating 11 - more of the same sadly although Gumbs is at least on the bench if McN who has had a virus isn't able to do the 90 minutes.

stek26
stek26 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 20:25
Don't blame the kid for wanting to leave, especially if it's to a championship club.
He probably see's that Duggan & Gumbs aren't getting the chance they deserve even when the team are playing poor. If their good enough there old enough!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 20:31
Quote:
stek26
Don't blame the kid for wanting to leave, especially if it's to a championship club.
He probably see's that Duggan & Gumbs aren't getting the chance they deserve even when the team are playing poor. If their good enough there old enough!

+1

And Drysdale WAS outstanding at Maidstone[caught everybody's eye]. Gumbs and Pilling were excellent too.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 September, 2017 21:47
If he does get a move to one of the clubs looking at him I wish him well, the career of a professional footballer is relatively short and while loyalty to a club is admirable he has to look after himself and he should without doubt take the opportunity.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 09:31
If we want a young player to develop well the last thing we want is to put him in a struggling team. You want to blood young talent when the crowd are supportive and will tolerate the odd mistake - unleashing him at the moment is a recipe for disaster.

Our defense is actually quite strong - 3 conceded in the last 6. The last thing we want to do anyway is change the part of the team which is actually performing. If he was an attacking player there might be an argument for giving him a chance, but at the moment we need to focus on what's not working rather than what is.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 14:32
Our defence is quite strong because we have a 6-7 man defence, that's why we're not scoring goal's. If our midfield were as quick getting forward as they are getting back we might score more.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

25 September, 2017 16:41
Quote:
Old Rover
Our defence is quite strong because we have a 6-7 man defence, that's why we're not scoring goal's. If our midfield were as quick getting forward as they are getting back we might score more.

Spot on. And it looked like a nine man defence for the latter part of the Ebbsfleet match

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net