football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Something missing
13 August, 2017 10:02
I said it last season and the season before. We are ill equipped for this division.

We have some great players, we probably have the best footballing side, but it's not a footballing division.

If a team turns up and tries to play us, we win usually easily.

If a team turns up and dominates the park, niggles, kicks, argues, breaks up play, feigns injury, closes space we loose.

We need 3 signings to complete this side, first one is a goal scorer to go alongside Cook in place of Norwood. Then we need 2 big aggressive players who offer no more than a fight.

We stick Norwood in the number 10 as he also offer these battling qualities with some pace and skill. Get Tollit back fit on one wing and Jennings on the other, Norburn is quality at this level and would be excellent with a fighter alongside.

Harris is a terrier but he's too small.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 10:03 by Higgosboots.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Something missing
13 August, 2017 10:13
Liam Noble is ideal for this league. A playmaker who gets well n truly stuck in. Committed himself to FGR I believe.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 19:15
Are Aldershot notably any rougher/aggressive than Tranmere.They also play football rather than just depend on physicality. For most of last season I felt that against more physical teams Hughes is too easily hustled out of the game and he can be easily by passed.I think that has more to do with his declining quality rather than being the wrong sort of midfielder. The defence lacks pace and that is even more pronounced this season Buxton has qualities but both he and McElevey have only further confirmed the situation.our limitations were exposed at Wembley and they have not been addressed

Stewsydney
Stewsydney (IP Logged)

13 August, 2017 23:50
We have spent up , this is the harsh reality of a 3rd season at non league, no money left in biscuit tin for anymore players

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 02:23
Quote:
Stewsydney
We have spent up , this is the harsh reality of a 3rd season at non league, no money left in biscuit tin for anymore players

Any relevant proof on this? Managers usually like to keep a little remaining just in case they need a loan halfway through the season. I've seen somewhere else on here that we now have a bottom half budget, considering it was only mentioned as part of a 'The season is doomed because of 1 bad day at the office' post rather than after the Woking game then i'm inclined to think it's utter pish.

pensbywhite60
pensbywhite60 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 11:37
Jack Dunne is a weak link for me, very skillful but far too lazy off the ball. Yet again we were bullied out of possession,but on a different day Cookies efforts would have gone in and the score would have been a lot different.
I think a couple of players also got knocks in the first half which had an impact.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 11:46
We are three games in. The last two seasons FGR have got off to a flyer, and then dropped down to 2nd/3rd. The champions both times had slower starts, but focused on working through their problems and developing their sides. I don't think we need to throw everything away and start again - indiscipline cost us points at Torquay (easy to address), the problems with Sutton exposed issues we can work on.

For comparison, this time last season we were on 9 points. After 5 games, we'll be at least 5 points adrift of where we were last season. Are we really in a worst situation than we were this time last year? I'd say we've move forward a lot, and looking at a small number of matches isn't really useful for understanding a 46 game season.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 12:10
We know how team's play in this league. They do anything to disrupt our play. Sutton did that and went away with 3 point's. FGR did the same last season and got promoted.They pretend to be injured, waste time at every free kick and goal kick, and hack down our creative player's. We just don't seem to know what to do about it.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 12:29
I am sure that weaker teams will do that against stronger teams. Aldershot will experience the same this year as must Lincoln last year.It doesn't mean playing the same way and pace is often one way of counteracting.
When you look at our booking record since being in the national we look as capable as any side of dishing out our own share of aggression and niggles.Tactics and a lack of pace may be more to blame than an absence of physicality. It is no coincidence that the most valued aspect of Norwood's game is his pace and the most missed aspect of Tollet's absence is the capacity to get around the back of defenders so that we do not just resort to route one to a lone target man

14 August, 2017 18:19
I think we missed a trick not getting some ex Braintree players. Dan Sparkes, Dan Holman, and Micheal Cheek always impressed me, had the potential to play at higher levels or bigger NL teams and have gone on to prove it.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 20:40
Quote:
Old Rover
We know how team's play in this league. They do anything to disrupt our play. Sutton did that and went away with 3 point's. FGR did the same last season and got promoted.They pretend to be injured, waste time at every free kick and goal kick, and hack down our creative player's. We just don't seem to know what to do about it.

Totally agree with you. The most interesting comment on the Sutton board was on a thread discussing the number of bookings[I think 11] that they've had in the 3 games so far. It was short,sweet and to the point and basically says it all:-

''At Tranmere a lot of players took one for the team. I'll say no more''

A poster called Delboy but he is spot on

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 21:37
I worked out what was missing the ball when Alabi jumps or try's to shoot.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 21:54
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

Totally agree with you. The most interesting comment on the Sutton board was on a thread discussing the number of bookings[I think 11] that they've had in the 3 games so far. It was short,sweet and to the point and basically says it all:-

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 22:03
What team talks they must have regards "taking one for the team "and 50 ways to waste time .but the racial card where lafayette and the ref walk over to mm well I bet they laughed about that on the way home.what was mm supposed to do get the match stopped until an enquiry .

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 22:33
Quite a few of our opponents think we're quite handy at the dark arts too, judging by comments that crop up on many of their messageboards over the season, and we've certainly wised up since we started off in this league. Just got to keep disciplined and keep playing our game when teams come to spoil or dish it out and hope the ref does his job.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

14 August, 2017 22:56
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

There's also a debate as to if it's their best ever away win; this includes winning away at Lincoln last year.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 00:37
Quote:
rossb07
I've seen somewhere else on here that we now have a bottom half budget

Nope, Palios said a top third budget was on Mickey's table this season, or words to that effect.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 05:50
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
rossb07
I've seen somewhere else on here that we now have a bottom half budget

Nope, Palios said a top third budget was on Mickey's table this season, or words to that effect.

That's exactly what I've seen, so the comments that are contrary to this i.e heard MP talking during a game about having a lower half budget just seem to make me wonder why someone would make that up.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 11:53
Trying to look for 'excuses' isn't the way to go. Higgos & old Rover are spot on (most of others agree in principal too),
Rovers just need to 'fine tune' performances, MM knows what formations and players to select, perhaps when injuries all return we will see more solid performances like v Woking at PP last Tuesday,
Every decent football fan should agree that the play acting and tactics like those from Sutton is totally disgraceful, adding a poor / immature ref who's actions in being 'hoodwinked' by the 'professional dirty tactics' of the opposition which disrupt play & make the ref appear to be siding with the opposition is seemingly the norm for this league, Rovers have to deal with these situations - it's called scoring goals, the opposition I'm sure will soon alter their formations / tactics when a couple of goals down.
I'm sure MM appreciates his initial selection - with one lone striker didn't work out, five Sutton bookings (I thought last man fouls from behind warrant red cards - perhaps not in this league, again it's all down to the refs), the half time change seemed to confirm it nearly did though.
Far too many Rovers players played below acceptable parr on Saturday - lesson learned, hope it's all put right tonight.
Play the rest of the season like the guys did v Working and the title is there for grabs.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 13:06
One of the disappointing thing's about the game was the lack of player's following up. When the Sutton player tried to shield the ball out for a goal kick Cook won the ball and hit a cross along their goal, there was'nt a Tranmere player any where near. You could see how frustrated Cook was.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 14:52
Quote:
Old Rover
One of the disappointing thing's about the game was the lack of player's following up. When the Sutton player tried to shield the ball out for a goal kick Cook won the ball and hit a cross along their goal, there was'nt a Tranmere player any where near. You could see how frustrated Cook was.

Absolutely . And there were a couple more occasions when nobody followed up/in when low crosses came over.Most of them aren't prepared to take a chance.

Bolton Rover
Bolton Rover (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 17:47
We have to remember that even when we were quite poor we outplayed Sutton for much of the game. They got lucky and took their chance.

I'm not surprised at the meltdown many fans are having because it always happens at this club but agree with those who say we need to fine tune only to move up this league.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

15 August, 2017 17:59
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

Absolutely . And there were a couple more occasions when nobody followed up/in when low crosses came over.Most of them aren't prepared to take a chance.

Is it a case of not taking a chance or do we have a lack of midfielders with that mentality to their game? I.e non attacking. You are defiantly spot on with the assessment, For me Square pegs round holes springs to mind, Jenno is a wide player pushed into the 10 role, he tends to drift wide naturally from their, Norburn looks an excellent aquaisition but he's definatley defence minded looking at the Woking goal and his against us when he does score it will be from deep, Hughes is a midfield general, Harris is a terrier who scraps around, Dunn it appears is another wide player. It's probably another position where an aqusition or 2 is required in the form of a midfielder who wants to bomb on and get to the penalty spot.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 00:22
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

Is it a case of not taking a chance or do we have a lack of midfielders with that mentality to their game? I.e non attacking. You are defiantly spot on with the assessment, For me Square pegs round holes springs to mind, Jenno is a wide player pushed into the 10 role, he tends to drift wide naturally from their, Norburn looks an excellent aquaisition but he's definatley defence minded looking at the Woking goal and his against us when he does score it will be from deep, Hughes is a midfield general, Harris is a terrier who scraps around, Dunn it appears is another wide player. It's probably another position where an aqusition or 2 is required in the form of a midfielder who wants to bomb on and get to the penalty spot.

Jennings is not a wide player based on his performance at Guiseley.Much better in the middle.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 18:08
I think we may have dropped one letting Mekki go, he played his part in devastating Orient last night, a friend that went to the game said he was Magic on the ball, first touch was excellent and he was linking up all over the place. I rated him when he wore our shirt, decent player who needed a good run of games to build confidence and show what he's really capable of.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 August, 2017 23:14
Mellon has the options of Tollit, Wallace and Norwood when back and Waring may be a pivotal player when he is fit.

Even having 2 of those 4 and certainly 2 of the first 3 in the last 2 games could potentially have made it 6 from 6.

It feels a little bit like trying to bomb the Germans with a bomber that has a great pilot, but one sputtering propeller and a faulty bomb hatch, so you're getting mixed fortunes with every raid.

Fine tuning would seem a logical way to go, not wholesale change, but having said that some or all of the aforementioned players should feature at some point, so come on Micky get your spanners out and fix the plane.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 00:01
Quote:
TimmySoft
I think we may have dropped one letting Mekki go, he played his part in devastating Orient last night, a friend that went to the game said he was Magic on the ball, first touch was excellent and he was linking up all over the place. I rated him when he wore our shirt, decent player who needed a good run of games to build confidence and show what he's really capable of.
+1

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 08:31
Quote:
Matt34
Mellon has the options of Tollit, Wallace and Norwood when back and Waring may be a pivotal player when he is fit.
Even having 2 of those 4 and certainly 2 of the first 3 in the last 2 games could potentially have made it 6 from 6.

It feels a little bit like trying to bomb the Germans with a bomber that has a great pilot, but one sputtering propeller and a faulty bomb hatch, so you're getting mixed fortunes with every raid.

Fine tuning would seem a logical way to go, not wholesale change, but having said that some or all of the aforementioned players should feature at some point, so come on Micky get your spanners out and fix the plane.

Can't possibly say Waring may be pivotal, he hasn't kicked a ball yet. Can't also see Wallace being influential as he can't stay fit.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 18:45
Since his return, it is my understanding, both injury spells have been caused by diabolical tackles.

It is a bit difficult to stay fit when someone is raking their boot down your Achilles (Bromley Game I think?) not sure about the other towards the end of the season which, is why he is still out.

MESSAGES->author
Old Rover (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 18:52
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
TimmySoft
+1
+2

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 18:54
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
TimmySoft
+1
+2

Kennel
Kennel (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 19:56
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
TimmySoft
+1
+2
+3

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 August, 2017 23:57
Quote:
Higgosboots
Can't possibly say Waring may be pivotal, he hasn't kicked a ball yet.

Well perhaps you can't but I don't see it as a fuzzy sentiment and I mean nothing to you by saying that, as it could have applied to Cook when he signed, as speculating on who might be a pivotal player is okay I feel, depending on their past history and experiences.

However I did use the word "might" not "will", because I he could very well come good, but as he hasn't played yet, it would be folly to suggest him as a nailed on Tranmere god of the future just at the minute.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

18 August, 2017 22:19
Quote:
Kennel
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
TimmySoft
+1
+2
+3
I always rated Mekki, and felt he was a little under valued, he could be inconsistent at times. I was at the Maidstone game where he captained the side and until he went off injured he was playing the best I've seen him play. I wish him well.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

18 August, 2017 22:38
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Kennel
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
TimmySoft
+1
+2
+4
+3
I always rated Mekki, and felt he was a little under valued, he could be inconsistent at times. I was at the Maidstone game where he captained the side and until he went off injured he was playing the best I've seen him play. I wish him well.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 08:55
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

Jennings is not a wide player based on his performance at Guiseley.Much better in the middle.

When Jenno finished the season in the middle just behind the front men, I thought he was magic and a class above.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 08:59
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Old Rover

When Jenno finished the season in the middle just behind the front men, I thought he was magic and a class above.

+1

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 09:53
Well based on Mickys pre match, there will be no new additions, we are therefore ill equipped to handle this division as we are definatley short of bite and a decent partner for Cook who can take one chance. Tollit I thought would be the difference maker this season along with Kirby up front, Cookie and Buxton. It looks like the former pair will be out a while longer yet listening to Mickey, I guess Christmas. I would hope we can stay in play off contention and put a late season run together for another trip to Wembley, we won't win the league so I'm gonna be happy with 7th place.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

19 August, 2017 10:53
Quote:
Higgosboots
Well based on Mickys pre match, there will be no new additions, we are therefore ill equipped to handle this division as we are definatley short of bite and a decent partner for Cook who can take one chance. Tollit I thought would be the difference maker this season along with Kirby up front, Cookie and Buxton. It looks like the former pair will be out a while longer yet listening to Mickey, I guess Christmas. I would hope we can stay in play off contention and put a late season run together for another trip to Wembley, we won't win the league so I'm gonna be happy with 7th place.

(Sm157)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net