football
Latest News:

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

Gary Roberts
08 August, 2017 16:01
I see he has had his contract terminated by mutual consent.

He played 42 games for Pompey last season helping them to promotion.

Reading between the lines it appears he hasn't hit it off with Kenny Jacket(the new manager replacing Paul Cook).Consequently,he has evidently been training on his own.

He may be 33 but, still a very skilful attacking player and could be a very good addition to the squad IMO. I also believe he is from Liverpool?

What do we think?

efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

Re: Gary Roberts
08 August, 2017 16:12
All day long. awesome at this level, 33 or not.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 23:16
Agreed. He could be very good and yes he is from Liverpool.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 23:18
Instead of who ?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

08 August, 2017 23:19
We have spent our budget according to MM

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 07:56
A great player in his day. Got Accy promoted with Mangan. Shame we are spent up.

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 15:22
Look at last nights team, still got tolitt, Wallace and rokka to come back where would he fit in? He's 33 now a few years ago yea but not for me now could end up another Martin devaney

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2017 23:00
Being 33 means nothing. A certain Mr Goodison got in the team pretty much every week at 39, so Robert's age has nothing to do with it and anyway, considering Tranmere have young bucks like Kirby, Ridehalgh, Gumbs, Dunn and and Tollit, why sign 32 year old McEveley, or is he okay because he's 32, but if he were 33 then not okay?

I'm not criticising you per se, just the notion that age should not be a factor in signing anyone, it's about perceived fitness, skill and injury concerns.

Also not signing people on the basis of age, could harm recruitment. Some aged players do offer recurrent injuries and limited playing time, but many offer quality and experience and therefore it's imperative not to have an age limit on recruitment.

I'd also be tempted by this guy who is still playing and scoring for a big Japanese club after 35 years of playing and it's a good finish as well. Wouldn't surprise me if some people look at that and say why can't Norwood do that and he's just over half Miura's age.

Not my feelings though.

Kazuyoshi Miura

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

10 August, 2017 14:00
For me it was more we have a wealth of players sat on the bench and in the stands each week who could be playing. His age is more based upon injuries/fitness at that age and if he's a winger would he be like giggs and want to drop more central if he still had pace at 33 that's fine but it's more what can he offer in the position he can play in? Andy Thompson was like mcleverley in his 30's and was a quality LB but for me I feel we have enough let's get the squad gelling and push on

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net