football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

England World Cup opener at PP
14 July, 2017 11:55
England's World Cup game to be played at Prenton Park in September (19th) against Russia.

OK it's not the Men's team but the Ladies team still it's good that PP has been picked for this match.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: England World Cup opener at PP
14 July, 2017 12:55
Hopefully england striker and birkenhead born jodie taylor will feature at the prenton game in september. She will defo want to play on her home ground of prenton. She is currently playing for arsenal ladies.. good luck to jodie and the england women in the euro championships which start very soon.

MESSAGES->author

14 July, 2017 13:14
I sometimes watch womens football.. the standard of womens football, especially at international and top level has vastly improved over the last few years.. improving womens football was one of the very few decent things that sepp blatter managed to accomplish during his time at FIFA.. I remember going to prenton in the early 90s to watch the womens FA cup final. Think it was doncaster ladies v millwall ladies. I got myself on tv when I saw the highlights of that final on channel 4. Standing up in the paddock.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 13:50
Quote:
BELMONT
OK it's not the Men's team but the Ladies team still it's good that PP has been picked for this match.

OK it's not the Men's team but the Ladies team! (Sm110)

Putting such blatant sexism aside, I mean, it's only BELMONT. Actually no, I won't put such blatant sexism aside! Shame on you Belmont. Why did you feel the need to make such a disparaging comment within your post? Why not just celebrate the fact that Prenton Park has been chosen to host a FIFA sanctioned competition if you can't bring yourself to say anything good about women's football?

It is such outdated, almost Victorian views that held women's football back for so long. Had women been given the opportunity to play football professionally earlier the whole game would be much further advanced than it is even today and as HKR mentioned it's only been in recent times (comparably) that support has flown down from the very top.

Admittedly you won't find the blood and thunder of the men's game but to many this is a virtue not a vice as the time on the ball allowed and the skill that can be shown as a result is fantastically entertaining. Try attending the match with an open mind and see for yourself!

In the week that Lewes Football Club made a massive statement and announced that their women's team players would be paid the same as their male counterparts I would hope that the days of hearing "OK it's not the men's team" would be consigned to history rather than regurgitated on such a community minded club as ours'forum. A club that boasts Nicola Palios as the vice Chairman (and what a fantastic job she's doing).

Your homework is to watch the Channel 4 documentary at 10pm next Tuesday, 18th, "When Football Banned Women". Yes, until the male dominated FA banned women from playing (and probably administering) football in 1921, the women's game briefly dominated the game attracting crowds of up to 60,000. You would probably have heard a similar retort to yours in the FA boardroom of the time.

Following Tuesday night, also on Channel 4 on Wednesday is the England Lionesses' opening Euro 2017 fixture against Scotland. Should be a fabulous game to watch. The whole match is live for you and everyone else reading this (UK based at least!). Hopefully in the studio will be former Tranmere ladies' player Sam Quek giving her opinion so another reason to tune in.Also, did you know that Alan Mahon (former Tranmere player) is currently coaching the Manchester City ladies' team and so is indirectly responsible for seven such players in the England squad?

After watching those two programs hopefully you will a) buy your ticket for the match against Russia at Prenton Park and b) apologise for your earlier remark!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 16:18
That's told you eh Belmont. Well I'm gona buy a ticket .do they swop shirts at the end ? . . . .koppette I'm only joking it's. honour to stage the game at prenton park

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 16:56
''Your homework is to watch the Channel 4 documentary at 10pm next Tuesday, 18th''

Very patronising comment.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 17:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
''Your homework is to watch the Channel 4 documentary at 10pm next Tuesday, 18th''

Nope, there was little kindness intoned and certainly no sense of superiority. Both requisites of patronising. I'm going for equality and so if anything I'd like to think the comment was pedagogical seeing as the viewing, if made, would be educational.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 18:01
Quote:
Koppette
Quote:
Hoots Mon

Nope, there was little kindness intoned and certainly no sense of superiority. Both requisites of patronising. I'm going for equality and so if anything I'd like to think the comment was pedagogical seeing as the viewing, if made, would be educational.

You accuse Belmont of making a disparaging comment and you then yourself make a patronising comment[and it IS a patronising comment]He IMO has nothing to apologise for.

You say you're going for equality-why then is it deemed acceptable that women tennis players only play the best of three sets at Wimbledon yet receive the same prize money as the men who play the best of five sets?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 18:13
Dress it up however you like, women's football is a far inferior and less popular attraction than men's football. That's not sexism and doesn't mean I need to be reeducated, it's just a fact.

That said, given the recent relative success of the women's national team and the increasing popularity of the women's game, it's quite a coup for Tranmere to be chosen to host the match. Well done to the club and hopefully the whole occasion will be a big success.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 18:18
when i worked for t mobile i sold englands ladies goalie a phone, she was a merseysider..... i made the mistake of saying ' i put the england holland game on then realised it was womans football and turned over' .... she was not in the slightest bit impressed!!

I will be scared to shout get it in the box for fear of being chucked out, can we mention the d? We may upset a busty player... and as for enjoying a good period that will be laden with disaster.

Sod it i will keep quiet and perve at the russians.

Sorry koppette i couldnt resist xxxxxxx

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 18:47
Quote:
Koppette
Quote:
BELMONT

OK it's not the Men's team but the Ladies team! (Sm110)

Putting such blatant sexism aside, I mean, it's only BELMONT. Actually no, I won't put such blatant sexism aside! Shame on you Belmont. Why did you feel the need to make such a disparaging comment within your post? Why not just celebrate the fact that Prenton Park has been chosen to host a FIFA sanctioned competition if you can't bring yourself to say anything good about women's football?

It is such outdated, almost Victorian views that held women's football back for so long. Had women been given the opportunity to play football professionally earlier the whole game would be much further advanced than it is even today and as HKR mentioned it's only been in recent times (comparably) that support has flown down from the very top.

Admittedly you won't find the blood and thunder of the men's game but to many this is a virtue not a vice as the time on the ball allowed and the skill that can be shown as a result is fantastically entertaining. Try attending the match with an open mind and see for yourself!

In the week that Lewes Football Club made a massive statement and announced that their women's team players would be paid the same as their male counterparts I would hope that the days of hearing "OK it's not the men's team" would be consigned to history rather than regurgitated on such a community minded club as ours'forum. A club that boasts Nicola Palios as the vice Chairman (and what a fantastic job she's doing).

Your homework is to watch the Channel 4 documentary at 10pm next Tuesday, 18th, "When Football Banned Women". Yes, until the male dominated FA banned women from playing (and probably administering) football in 1921, the women's game briefly dominated the game attracting crowds of up to 60,000. You would probably have heard a similar retort to yours in the FA boardroom of the time.

Following Tuesday night, also on Channel 4 on Wednesday is the England Lionesses' opening Euro 2017 fixture against Scotland. Should be a fabulous game to watch. The whole match is live for you and everyone else reading this (UK based at least!). Hopefully in the studio will be former Tranmere ladies' player Sam Quek giving her opinion so another reason to tune in.Also, did you know that Alan Mahon (former Tranmere player) is currently coaching the Manchester City ladies' team and so is indirectly responsible for seven such players in the England squad?

After watching those two programs hopefully you will a) buy your ticket for the match against Russia at Prenton Park and b) apologise for your earlier remark!

Never crossed my mind about being anything to do with sexism when I made my comment,
if I'd have put *OK it's not the Ladies team but the Men's team* you wouldn't have raised an eyelash.
My mine reason for starting the thread was highlighting that an England team was going to play a World Cup opener at PP,that was all it wasn't sexism.

It's all down to being a little over the top with PC, I will look forward to this England being played at PP, it put's Tranmere ground on the world stage as far as Women's Football(not meant as being sexist).

I might even go,no I won't not because it's the Ladies team I wouldn't go to watch the Mens as well.

I settle and watch it on TV as I think it will be on Channel 4.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2017 19:34
All three of my sons have played junior football with girls both in their teams and frequently playing against opposing teams with representation from girls. Without exception, every girl has been streets ahead of the boys in technique, strength, knowledge and attitude. All the girls were snapped up by clubs (including Rovers) thus leaving to play in girls teams against girls. This denies them the opportunity to prove themselves in the "superior" echelons of the male game. Of course, boys become men and the physicality aspect changes the dynamics somewhat. Personally, I strongly believe, that given the opportunity, many girls could continue on a non-discriminatory path to achieve success in the "male" professional game; one for the future? It's all ifs and buts, but we'll never know until we try it. On the flip side, it's a pity I can't apply the same tolerant views to my wife, who will get the house, the kids, the sympathy, the moral high ground etc, etc, etc if we ever divorce; now there's equality!!
To conclude, I will watch the game at Prenton Park, with an eye for the football only (honestly!).

MESSAGES->author

15 July, 2017 06:24
I sometimes go on to you tube and watch some of these england womens training sessions. They are really put through their paces and the skill level is more than decent. It will be an eye-opener to some at how good some of these players are and how much womens football, at international level, has advanced in recent years

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

15 July, 2017 10:38
Hopefully we will not make a loss on the event.

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 19:38
How do you get tickets or an you pay on the day as I'm trying to get my granddaughter away from playing rugby

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 21:56
Quote:
Aldosmuzzy
Dress it up however you like, women's football is a far inferior and less popular attraction than men's football. That's not sexism and doesn't mean I need to be reeducated, it's just a fact.

Where do I start?

Well, before the FA banned women's football and didn't sanction it again for half a century, Women's football was as popular as men's football and was attracting crowds of up to 60,000.

Although men's football is more popular now, the sexist manner in which women's football was disadvantaged always made that likely to be the case. Try banning men's football for 50 years and see which is more popular upon its resumption!

Also, the popularity, or lack of, can also be ascribed to sexism in the national and dare I say it even the local press. I would hazard a guess without fear of contradiction that for the last near 50 years since the resumption of women's football that most sports print journalists and their editors have been men. All along the line women have faced, and continue to face, such sexism in almost every aspect of their lives and when people use lazy, or even unintentional, sexism it has to be called out and when people make a sweeping generalisation as you have and dismissively end it with "and that's a fact" without any thought as to the conditions that led up to the current state of affairs it most definitely has to be called out else such myths and half truths will continue to be perpetuated.

As far women's football being far inferior. Here's a report from a national newspaper reporting on the last 16 tie between Croatia and Portugal in Euro 2016. Do please read it to remind yourself of the superior attraction of the product that men's football can be!

Quote:
theGuardian
Anyone who sat through the full 120 minutes of “action” that masqueraded as the last-16 meeting between Croatia and Portugal may be asking a simple question: was it the worst game in history at a major tournament?
Uefa’s statistics show there were two shots on target, both from Portugal, while Croatia failed to trouble opposing keeper Rui Patrício even once. Yet numbers alone barely begin to do justice to the painful, turgid awfulness of it all. No one could blame Croatia for trying to stifle the supply line to Cristiano Ronaldo, but reducing the Real Madrid man to a peripheral figure seemed to be the height of their ambition. Portugal, for their part, were barely less bereft of ideas, intent and inspiration. And with neither team able to string two passes together, action and incident were about as rare as Ivan Perisic’s hairdo.

By the time Ricardo Quaresma finally put the watching world out of its misery with three minutes of extra time remaining, heading home from a couple of yards, it was the first time either keeper had been troubled all night. Yet even that felt like an injustice: penalties were surely the least those who had endured the preceding 117 minutes deserved. Leave Europe? If this is the best it can offer, it’s a no-brainer.

So I don't think further sweeping generalisations such as women's football is a far inferior and less popular attraction than men's is necessarily true in all cases. In the US women's football (association obviously) is hugely more popular than men's and is frequently thought of as a woman's sport only. It just shows how popularity is as much a social construct as it is inherent on the product that is presented and the context that women's football has been played in in this country has made it almost impossible to break through the obstacles it has faced. It would definitely be hard pressed to be classed as inferior to that turgid affair described above!

Perhaps what people need is an open mind more than re-education. I hope everyone on this forum tries to attend this World Cup qualifier at Prenton Park and also equally importantly allows themselves to be emotionally involved in the occasion. That way you will most certainly enjoy the game more and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised at the fayre on offer. Russia won't be pushovers though, I watched them beat Italy 2-1 in their opening group match last night and they are a dangerous side.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 22:18
Thanks for the sermon but please don't assume you're preaching to the ignorant. I know a fair bit of the history and the struggle of establishing the women's game in this country. And, having lived in the States previously, I'm well aware that the accurate comparison I made here doesn't hold quite so true over there.

Rather than telling me to open my mind, if you can open yours a little more then please accept I have no issue with women's football. The straight comparison I gave you is clear - attendances/viewing figures testify to relative popularity and the fact that the best women's team can't compete with a mediocre men's team on the pitch testifies to relative ability.

Equally (now there's a word!), I can take and appreciate the women's game for what it is - something similar but different. I'm pleased it's on the up. It certainly has skill. But if you take the gender angle out of it and just compare the two sports visually, skill-wise and excitement-wise, try convincing anyone that the one that gets pumped through our TV screens and fills our newspapers every day isn't the better of the two.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

18 July, 2017 23:50
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Thanks for the sermon but please don't assume you're preaching to the ignorant. I know a fair bit of the history and the struggle of establishing the women's game in this country. And, having lived in the States previously, I'm well aware that the accurate comparison I made here doesn't hold quite so true over there.
Rather than telling me to open my mind, if you can open yours a little more then please accept I have no issue with women's football. The straight comparison I gave you is clear - attendances/viewing figures testify to relative popularity and the fact that the best women's team can't compete with a mediocre men's team on the pitch testifies to relative ability.

Equally (now there's a word!), I can take and appreciate the women's game for what it is - something similar but different. I'm pleased it's on the up. It certainly has skill. But if you take the gender angle out of it and just compare the two sports visually, skill-wise and excitement-wise, try convincing anyone that the one that gets pumped through our TV screens and fills our newspapers every day isn't the better of the two.

+1

You say you're going for equality-why then is it deemed acceptable that women tennis players only play the best of three sets at Wimbledon yet receive the same prize money as the men who play the best of five sets? Also compare the ladies and mens doubles finals at Wimbledon for example.

The_Big_E
The_Big_E (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 13:35
Strangely enough I love football. Over the years I have been witness to many, many great games, and many many truly awful games. I have watched professional games, amateur games, kids games, Sunday league games, Saturday league games, park kick about, have coached in the USA and UK. I love football. I watch both men's and women's football explore the differences admire the skill sets and I support Rovers and England. I love football! have I said that before? It doesn't matter what sex the players happen to be, it matters how they play the game and how passionate they are for the game, their club and their country, and from what I have seen there truly isn't any difference between the men and women. Both should receive our support and both should receive the benefits their hard work and skill demands. I would suggest getting down to PP on the the day and supporting the Lionesses the same way you'd support the English men or Rovers. To have a successful England Women's Team can only be good for the game. Hell one day we may even have a successful Men's team???? In the end it is all about the game and guess what? I love FOOTBALL!!! Did I mention that already?

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 18:49
Quote:
The_Big_E
Strangely enough I love football. Over the years I have been witness to many, many great games, and many many truly awful games. I have watched professional games, amateur games, kids games, Sunday league games, Saturday league games, park kick about, have coached in the USA and UK. I love football. I watch both men's and women's football explore the differences admire the skill sets and I support Rovers and England. I love football! have I said that before? It doesn't matter what sex the players happen to be, it matters how they play the game and how passionate they are for the game, their club and their country, and from what I have seen there truly isn't any difference between the men and women. Both should receive our support and both should receive the benefits their hard work and skill demands. I would suggest getting down to PP on the the day and supporting the Lionesses the same way you'd support the English men or Rovers. To have a successful England Women's Team can only be good for the game. Hell one day we may even have a successful Men's team???? In the end it is all about the game and guess what? I love FOOTBALL!!! Did I mention that already?
lol I'm going I'll drag my wife daughter an granddaughter along with me I went to pp in the early 90's to watch the fa cup final Doncaster belles v millwall lionesses Doncaster were the best woman's team back then👍

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 19:18
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

+1

You say you're going for equality-why then is it deemed acceptable that women tennis players only play the best of three sets at Wimbledon yet receive the same prize money as the men who play the best of five sets? Also compare the ladies and mens doubles finals at Wimbledon for example.
As far as I recall, Ladies football matches are 90 minutes and played on the same pitches with the same equipment. The attendances for the men's game are higher now (wasn't always the case), in no small part to the fact that the women's game had to pretty much start again in the 1970s.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

19 July, 2017 19:34
Nice post Big E! Think we all love our football on here. Here's hoping the international is a success on and off the field.

MESSAGES->author

20 July, 2017 09:35
What a fantastic start for the lionesses last night in their opening game and a great hat trick from local girl jodie taylor.. I didnt see the game as it was on in the middle of the night here but will try n see if can view the goals/highlights later. I think their next game is against the spanish team, I think the spanish women will be a much tougher opponent than the scottish ladies.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

20 July, 2017 20:18
Quote:
hong kong rover
What a fantastic start for the lionesses last night in their opening game and a great hat trick from local girl jodie taylor.. I didnt see the game as it was on in the middle of the night here but will try n see if can view the goals/highlights later. I think their next game is against the spanish team, I think the spanish women will be a much tougher opponent than the scottish ladies.

Yes, some calm and classy finishing from Taylor. One anomaly though, Nobbs in the women's game; who'd have thought it!
Have my armour on now, ready to be shot at!

(Sm132)

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

20 July, 2017 20:27
They do play better with nobbs.it's just unfortunate name.

MESSAGES->author

03 August, 2017 14:35
good luck to the lionesses tonight in their semi vs the dutch. go girls! local lass Jodie taylor has sure had her shooting boots on in this tournament and looks set for the golden boot, go Jodie girl! ive watched a few of the games throughout the tournament and have been very impressed with some of the outfield play but the keepers still make some awful howlers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net