football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

James Alabi
03 July, 2017 11:15
Apparently (according to the Chester Chronicle) we're favourites to sign James Alabi from Chester.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

Re: James Alabi
03 July, 2017 12:22
Looking at his stats he's never played more than twice for anyone until Chester. His first run in a team and he's bagged a few goals. I'd be suprised if we did after the signing of big George though.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 13:03
I'd be very surprised if we manage to sign him. A lot of clubs are after him. Barnet tried to sign him in January.

Would be a great signing and offer us something different up front. He really hit form this past season with 17 goals. He's only 22 so we'd have to pay a fee to Chester

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 13:51

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 14:51
Sounds like his agent after a better deal

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

03 July, 2017 21:14
Quote:
2 the moon
Looking at his stats he's never played more than twice for anyone until Chester

I'm not sure what you looked at but Wikipedia has his first ever loan spell as 9 games for Scunthorpe scoring once; as does Transfermarkt.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 18:54
Update in the Chester Chronicle...

[www.chesterchronicle.co.uk]

pez
pez (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 19:48
Sounds like he has plenty of options available, seems like it may not go through.

Were OK in the forward department, unless Mangan or Cookie are on their way out, then I can't see where Alabi will fit in?

We've just scaled down our squad and removed the excess baggage, we can't afford to have non playing staff on the budget again this year.

NedPepeHill
NedPepeHill (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 20:20
I would think he would be a good signing mangans lost a yard or two and we need more options up front I feel (cook and Waring seem similar styles) he looks good scored 16 goals in a @#$%& poor chester side! I think we need one more defender along with alabi and we're in for a good season I reckon gumbs will step on this season!

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 20:30
Alabi's career would be benefited by Tranmere . It's a bigger stadium, a better training setup and a team pushing for league status, with the infrastructure to regain it and sustain it and it wouldn't require a move.

Dagenham would require a move as would Leyton Orient to a team still in flux,

AFC Wimbledon would also require a move, as would Lincoln and Lincoln couldn't offer the same quality of facilities or stadium.

Shrewsbury are the only team listed in the article with anything similar to offer in terms of ground, possible facilities and depending on Alabi's residence no need to move.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

04 July, 2017 20:39
Quote:
pez
Sounds like he has plenty of options available, seems like it may not go through.
Were OK in the forward department, unless Mangan or Cookie are on their way out, then I can't see where Alabi will fit in?

We've just scaled down our squad and removed the excess baggage, we can't afford to have non playing staff on the budget again this year.

Can't see Mangan being the one to move on, Cook is the non Mellon signing an inherited player who was clearly out of contention for the large part of the season run in and play offs.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 08:09
He would be a good signing but not at the expense of Cook.Mangan is the lightweight in the options available but unlike him Cook would bring in a fee.
Albi has had one good season and there are plenty of strikers that have one prolific season and no more. That's not a prejudgment of the player,he may well be a regular score but with Cook that is a proven and hence he is needed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 08:13 by DevonExile.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

05 July, 2017 09:37
[www.youtube.com]

Perhaps he can show Norwood how it's done ?

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

06 July, 2017 08:23
Any signing that offers as much as Norwood offers will be a good signing

MESSAGES->author
Uncle_Bulgaria (IP Logged)

06 July, 2017 20:56
I can only see Alabi joining if at least one of the other strikers move on, I have a feeling Mangan is on his way to Wrexham, and Cook on his way too.
I think we need a right back, CD, a midfielder and maybe a back up striker if Cook and Mangan both go.
UB

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

06 July, 2017 22:20
Wrexham have just signed Scott Boden from Inverness, so carnt see cook going to Wrexham, they have there striker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 22:21 by trfc-boi.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

06 July, 2017 23:56
If Norwood is accused of missing he can always draw on an alabi

pez
pez (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 11:35
Can't see both Cook and Mangan leaving? That would leave a massive void in the team, especially with Stockton already gone.

Mangans departure would not really impact things, however if Cook left we would be struggling for goals again, unless Waring turns out to be some kind of goal machine.

I thought we would have signed Alabi by now if he was coming? His contract ran out a week ago.

I agree about needing at least one more defender, no good scoring lots of goals and leaking even more, that was Dovers problem last season.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 12:23
A further update on the Alabi situation from a Chester perspective. Maybe we are waiting to see what the revenue from Wednesday's friendly game is...

[m.leaderlive.co.uk]

pez
pez (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 12:55
The article states that Chester expect to get a development fee from whoever Alabi signs for.

Does anyone know how much this is likely to be?

How much do we reckon he's worth?

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 12:57
Will be tens of thousands, and a sell on normally at this level.

efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 13:08
Quote:
mini_andy
I doubt it, how much did they actually develop him in the one full season he was there?!!

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 13:23
Posts on the Chester forum in the last 24 hours suggest they think he's coming to us for £17.5k plus 10% of any sell on fee.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 13:57
If he comes it will be a good but not essential signing if Cook remains. It was the Davies signing that I was hoping would be completed as thre were hints last season of time catching up McNulty

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 14:07
Quote:
efc0trfc3
Quote:
mini_andy
I doubt it, how much did they actually develop him in the one full season he was there?!!

I meant a sum between £10-99k, not that it will be loads lol

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 14:51
Quote:
efc0trfc3
Quote:
mini_andy

This is the crux of the matter. Did Chester really develop him or has he simply matured? Does giving him game time count as development? If Chesters' coaches can develop a player in one year then they should be churning out developed players EVERY year and it's their coaching staff we should be signing!

It's understood that Chester turned down an offer of £10k from Barnet but that doesn't necessarily mean that should be the starting point for negotiations. That offer was to make Chester release him from his contract. He's out of contract now. I suspect that Mark Palios would rather know a definite fee up front rather than risk a crazy tribunal set fee. The contract should include a refund clause if it turns out that last season was a one off!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 15:54
Just read on Twitter:

Non League Rumours: understand that James Alabi is currently undergoing a medical at Tranmere after leaving Chester.

Looks like we got our man? Hope that doesn't mean anyone going out the door though?

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 16:03
Quote:
DevonExile
If he comes it will be a good but not essential signing if Cook remains. It was the Davies signing that I was hoping would be completed as thre were hints last season of time catching up McNulty
HINTS !! the HINTS I saw about McNulty were more like back page headlines!He's still got it upstairs but I feel he'd be best used as a defensive coach and played when necessary.

velico
velico (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 16:42
ha ha my guess is yeovil

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 17:07
Would be very happy with this signing if true.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

07 July, 2017 17:17
Latest update:

[www.chesterchronicle.co.uk]

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 22:16
Signing tomorrow isn't he?

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 22:24
£17.5k is the figure being thrown around. Another player from a rival team is close to signing too, no idea who though! Apparently been on trial with us

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 22:41
Think we've been signing a player this week for weeks,still waiting and the Alabi story is getting like War and Peace .

Of course one thing if this thread actually get's posted it will be bigger story than Alabi signing the was this forum has been playing up.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 22:43
The other player is a winger, released from another national league club. No idea on a name though

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

09 July, 2017 23:54
Gary Neville stirring things up on Twitter tonight suggesting Salford might be in for Alabi.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 01:32
If Alabi doesn't want to come then so be at the expense of Salford.He may want more money and they could give it to him.I would rather have a player who wants to come but if he signs I would say we have a strong attacking squad but do we have enough depth in defence or midfield

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 10:08
It is quite possible that Salford have now come in with an offer. Which begs the question why the delay in us finalising a move that has been in the public domain for so long.Looking at Alabi's comments it does not look as though he is anything but keen to come. Could it be that the club is only interested if a fee is agreed in advance rather than left to a tribunal? That would be understandable prudence. It would be more concerning were the delay caused by us wishing to sell Cook first. Is the uncertainty possibly also linked with uncertainty around Kirby and Wallace with the possibility that resources may have to be held back to cover midfield?

It is odd as a good central defender and right back would seem a bigger priority at this stage than another striker.

The longer this goes on the less likely is the signing. Likewise, if there is alive interest in Davies then it surprising that it is taking so long to resolve. The pre season games are a chance for teams and formations to gel and it would be good to have everything in place quickly

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 11:13
Neville obviously was only stirring it!
We've just signed Alabi on a two year deal. That's a direct replacement for Stockton as I see it. Welcome on board James.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 11:21
Welcome James. You've made a good choice.

Aim for 20 goals this season to add to our firepower

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 11:28
Happy with that, he offers something different to the rest.

(Also ends our racist club talk!)

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 13:02
Good positive signing...17 goals in a Chester team that struggled for the second half of the season is a good return.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 13:12
Quote:
officialchesterfc
To make the situation clear, James was free to sign with the club of his choice following the expiry of his contract. We have put everything in place to protect the clubs position and if compensation cannot be agreed between the two parties the matter will pass to a tribunal.
As of this time a satisfactory offer of compensation has not been received.

Post made on the official website of Chester today in response to our announcement of his signing.

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 13:37
Good luck to the lad. I hope his signing does not spell exit for Cook.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 13:48
A central defender and a good full back and we will have a squad with balance and competition for places

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 13:59
James was also Chester's penalty taker, another bonus?

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 14:00
Quote:
DevonExile
A central defender and a good full back and we will have a squad with balance and competition for places
Definitely need a mobile CB and a full back would not go amiss. Welcome to James Alabi

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 15:38
Same initials as a certain John Aldridge!! Hope he scores as many!!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 17:34
Chester fans are not very complimentary on Twitter, they say he's Lazy, Unfit , loses interest in games and most of his goals were from the penalty spot?

Not sure if any of these comments are true, or whether the Chester fans are just bitter & twisted as they know we've signed a decent player?

I'm sure Micky has watched him and knows what he can add to the squad we already have.

Not sure if the Gary Neville and Salford connection was a wind up, or whether they were genuinely interested in signing him?

I'd prefer Cook to start over any of the other forwards, he's proven at this level and I hope any issues can be ironed out. I'd like to see Cookie given an improved 2 year deal so we can all breathe easier.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 18:00
Many of our supporters raved about him after the game at Prenton Park but he did seem to lose a bit of form in the latter part of the season

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 18:48
how about we judge him on performances for Tranmere?

pez
pez (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 19:01
Quote:
853OKG

That's exactly how hell be judged, however, I was merely reporting what's been said about him on Twitter by Chester supporters and if you read my comments I mentioned that they appear "bitter & twisted".

Its getting to the point where people cannot post anything at all negative on here without the forum police having a right go!

As I stated in my post above, it is Chester fans saying this, not me!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 19:52
Alabi was a right handful on his own in the away game last season; composed when putting away the Penalty too (boy how we missed that last season). It"s easy to accuse strikers of drifting out of a game when they're played as a lone wolf and get little or no service; together with no support when they do receive the ball.
His goals against Aldershot also show he has some pace and composure in front of goal to add to his nuisance value. Having said that, I agree it's what he does in a Rovers shirt that matters. On paper looks like a good signing, but we shall see.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 20:27
Good signing. Powerful, a bit of pace and with better service could easily be a 25+ goals a season player. This is really his last opportunity to perform and move up, at 22/23 if he wants to make life changing money then he needs to dig in, train hard, work hard and not only bag goals, but create chances for others.

From the pics today he looks a lot more hence than last season, if thats the case then he'll be a real handful at this level.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 21:15
A potentially good signing, but with better service not an automatic 25 goal player, so a little overzealous perhaps on your part (Sm7)

However as he is coming from another local team, it should require no moving of property, unless he chooses to and no having to get used to a different part of the country, so that should help him bed in.

However initial scoring and assisting form will be a guide to how he does. If he gets 2 goals in his first 10 league games, then it's a bit worrying, but 4 goals and a layoff will be much more reassuring and hopefully he can achieve that or even better.

Koppette
Koppette (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 22:39
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
DevonExile
Definitely need a mobile CB and a full back would not go amiss. Welcome to James Alabi

Andy Parkinson revealed in his Heswall post match interview that Declan Drysdale is currently training with the first team and of course this pre season will be the first opportunity for MM to run the rule over both Gumbs and Duggan. They may not be seen as immediate first team selections but they may have assuaged any doubt that MM had as to their potential to step into the breach from the bench. Such an opportunity could be the making of them. I don't really recall Steve Vickers or John McGreal going out on loan before being thrust into the first team and their careers went quite well. I think providing there are no long term injuries with Sutton or McNulty they may get fully integrated into the first team this season.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

10 July, 2017 23:03
Quote:
Koppette
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
DevonExile

Andy Parkinson revealed in his Heswall post match interview that Declan Drysdale is currently training with the first team and of course this pre season will be the first opportunity for MM to run the rule over both Gumbs and Duggan. They may not be seen as immediate first team selections but they may have assuaged any doubt that MM had as to their potential to step into the breach from the bench. Such an opportunity could be the making of them. I don't really recall Steve Vickers or John McGreal going out on loan before being thrust into the first team and their careers went quite well. I think providing there are no long term injuries with Sutton or McNulty they may get fully integrated into the first team this season.
I think when the likes of Vickers/McGreal (and the likes of Thomas/Branan/Garnet et al) were coming through there was a reserve side for them to play in. Having seen Gumbs, Duggan and Drysdale play there is huge potential, for my money both Duggan and Gumbs should be kept in the squad as cover, Drysdale would benefit from being on-loan.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 09:57
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Koppette
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
DevonExile

I think when the likes of Vickers/McGreal (and the likes of Thomas/Branan/Garnet et al) were coming through there was a reserve side for them to play in. Having seen Gumbs, Duggan and Drysdale play there is huge potential, for my money both Duggan and Gumbs should be kept in the squad as cover, Drysdale would benefit from being on-loan.
Agree. No idea about Drysdale TBH as not seen him play but from what I saw of Duggan last year pre-season and early season I was somewhat surprised he was sent out on loan and not more involved. I hope he and Gumbs with another season under their belts are pushing for first team places so we do indeed have genuine competition for places/ injury cover.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 09:58
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Koppette
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
DevonExile

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 12:06
Quote:
pez
Quote:
853OKG

That's exactly how hell be judged, however, I was merely reporting what's been said about him on Twitter by Chester supporters and if you read my comments I mentioned that they appear "bitter & twisted".

Its getting to the point where people cannot post anything at all negative on here without the forum police having a right go!

And mine was a statement which still holds true.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 13:33
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
pez
Quote:
853OKG

And was being totally dismissive of what others have to say on the matter?

This is a forum, which means that everyone is entitled to have their say!

We know hell be judged on how he plays, that is stating the obvious!

I merely reported the fact that Chester fans were very quick to slag him off on Twitter.

Didn't realise that we are only allowed to post nice and positive things on here? My bad!!!

Some people on here are full of @#$%&

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 17:45
Quote:
pez
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
pez
Quote:
853OKG

And was being totally dismissive of what others have to say on the matter?

This is a forum, which means that everyone is entitled to have their say!

We know hell be judged on how he plays, that is stating the obvious!

I merely reported the fact that Chester fans were very quick to slag him off on Twitter.

Didn't realise that we are only allowed to post nice and positive things on here? My bad!!!

Some people on here are full of @#$%&

And he wouldn't be signing for Tranmere if there hadn't been some judgement on his previous performances. It's the nature of the beast. Yes, moving forward I'm sure we'll all make our own judgements, but he hasn't just appeared out of a black hole and he has history, which like it or not, can't be ignored. I've liked what I've seen of him in the past and this will set the initial tone of any judgement I make. The rest will hopefully be history in the making.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2017 23:39
Quote:
Koppette
I don't really recall Steve Vickers or John McGreal going out on loan before being thrust into the first team

Having Checked, McGreal was not loaned out and was a youth product, but Vickers came from Spennymoor United, so you could argue that someone brought in from another club, would be less likely to be loaned out than one of your own, as some could argue why bring a player in from elsewhere just to intentionally loan him out within weeks after not giving him any games, especially if it's to a level equivalent to the one he was at?

Although it would depend on the difference between the two clubs in terms of league status, as Swansea signed Rory Donnelly from Cliftonville then loaned him to Coventry and Tranmere without giving him even 10 minutes off the bench, whereas with someone like Stephenson, he was given limited playing time before being loaned out by Mellon, but he only stepped up a level, so the initial overview of him would logically have been he is going to play, not be loaned out within 3 months of signing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net