football
Latest News:
register rules help contact Image Map

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

Darren Stepenson
12 June, 2017 15:17
Signed for Stockport. Never given a run in our side or a chance to show what he could do. Would have rather we kept him than other contracted players.
Good luck to the lad - and indeed Stockport in their efforts to get back to where they belong.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Darren Stepenson
12 June, 2017 15:22
Well said roger i totally agree

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 15:26
I can't really make an opinion of him, as he rarely played. But good luck to the lad, and another wage off the books.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 15:46
He made 11 appearances for Rovers.

Wonder if he waivered any compo to make this move? He was still under contract wasn't he?

Pretty sure Stockport wouldn't have paid for his services?

Another players wage off the budget, let's hope a suitable replacement comes in.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 15:54
Agree good luck to him and Stockport ,what I did see of him was not enough to inspire confidence ,but now hopefully fully fit he can (excuse the pun) kick on

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 15:56
Seem to be shipping more players out then we are bringing in! All okay saying another player off the wage bill but they all need replacing as the squad is wafer thin. If we are relying on those injured players producing the same form as last season then that is a recipe for disaster. In Mickey we trust!!!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 16:03
Still ages before the team starts training.

Read that Micky has a list of targets to replace those who've left the club.

Most contracts don't expire until 30th June, so I'd imagine a lot of activity on or around that time?

No point in paying new signings to sit on a beach at the club's expense.

Could already be some deals already done but they are still under their current contracts until 1st July?

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 17:02
Rather kept him than mangan that player is a waste of a wage and waste of space on pitch.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 18:09
My feelings exactly .a five minute wonder .why MM fetched him back I really don't know

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 18:28
Just need to ship out Almond now ...

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 18:29
And Dawson

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 18:33
Quote:
sparky100
Seem to be shipping more players out then we are bringing in! All okay saying another player off the wage bill but they all need replacing as the squad is wafer thin. If we are relying on those injured players producing the same form as last season then that is a recipe for disaster. In Mickey we trust!!!

"Wafer Thin" describes Bromley who had 11 fulltime last week. We now have same as FGR had available at Wembley and it seemed to have been ok for them. That said, according to reports I have heard from those who attended the meeting with Palios last week, there are at least two more players imminent with one requiring a fee. Time will tell.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 20:28
Stephenson was never given enough of a chance. A winger who scores 17 a season in the league below. He could have been on the top 10 of goalscorers that season and the step up from NLN to NL isn't massive.

This feels like a mistake, but I hope it works out for him and it's time to move on.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 20:35
Quote:
ming05
Rather kept him than mangan that player is a waste of a wage and waste of space on pitch.

I think Mangan will come good, there is some adjustment needed to this level of football, I think we will see more from Wallace too,

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 20:41
Mangan was fine under Brabin and scoring regularly until an injury spell, so there is no reason why he can't score at NL level for Tranmere. He played for Mellon with Vardy at Fleetwood and I doubt Vardy was supplying Mangan with 15 assists a season, to make him look 3 times classier and when he went from Tranmere to league 1 he scored and got a lot of goals as he did in league 2 for Shrewsbury.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 21:28
Wish him well.Never had a real chance to show his ability.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 22:23
I saw him play a couple of times and thought he looked decent but not good enough to worry the players on the bench. I think the difference between the North/South league and the NL is bigger than most people really know. I went to watch Bishops Stortford a few times last season (they were relegated) and they were awful, not anywhere near the level of Solihull or North Ferriby.

I think Mangan has still got goals in him, but he looks to have lost half a yard of pace and looks like he's playing with no confidence, he's been played out of position a lot which i don't think always helps with confidence or player development, but needs must!

I hope Stephenson does well, i think he can be a real handful in the leagues below with his pace, but i think its the right thing to do to let him seek first team football elsewhere, because at Tranmere he wasn't going to develop any further.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

12 June, 2017 22:27
I wish him well, I saw him play a number of times, and you could see that he was progressing well. He is a young player who probably would prefer to drop a level than be largely side-lined for another season.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 13:57
Mangan is a decent player and IMO will come good.

He's been kept out of the side by injury and 2 decent strikers (Cook and Stockton).

His appearances all be it small in the play offs, demonstrated he still has pace when needed.

I'd rather have him here, than playing against him.

We need a decent squad of players to keep our promotion challenge going, Mangan has a proven ability to score goals and is probably just adjusting his game to suit this league.

Stephenson was right to move on, he wasn't going to be a regular in Micky's team as we have better players to choose from already.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 14:11
Sorry but for me mangan is a waste and should be shipped out, I can't see where this proven goal scorer comes from. He can't hit barn door.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 14:43
Mangan has made 376 appearances and scored 111 goals

Norwood has made 298 appearances and scored 106 goals

Cook has made 168 appearances and scored 95 goals

Stockton has made 151 appearances and scored 32 goals

Stats according to wiki.

On paper Cook should be nailed on to start every game when fit.

Mangan stats suggest he's a one in four game striker, so maybe you are right?

I just think he may come good as most of his games have been at a higher level.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 14:57
For the record though, before writing off Mangan totally, Tranmere legend Chris Malkin only bagged 89 goals in his 408 game career, so Mangan could be worth keeping at least until his deal ends?

efc0trfc3
efc0trfc3 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 15:39
Quote:
Matt34
Mangan was fine under Brabin and scoring regularly until an injury spell, so there is no reason why he can't score at NL level for Tranmere. He played for Mellon with Vardy at Fleetwood and I doubt Vardy was supplying Mangan with 15 assists a season, to make him look 3 times classier and when he went from Tranmere to league 1 he scored and got a lot of goals as he did in league 2 for Shrewsbury.
He scored 5 in 29 when he went back to Shrewsbury, so roughly 1 in 6. That's not lots in my book.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 15:45
Quote:
pez
For the record though, before writing off Mangan totally, Tranmere legend Chris Malkin only bagged 89 goals in his 408 game career, so Mangan could be worth keeping at least until his deal ends?

how many assists?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

13 June, 2017 20:57
Quote:
pez
Mangan has made 376 appearances and scored 111 goals
Norwood has made 298 appearances and scored 106 goals

Cook has made 168 appearances and scored 95 goals

Stockton has made 151 appearances and scored 32 goals

Stats according to wiki.

On paper Cook should be nailed on to start every game when fit.

Mangan stats suggest he's a one in four game striker, so maybe you are right?

I just think he may come good as most of his games have been at a higher level.

Yea but what leagues where those goals scored in? So far as I know Cook has little to no league experience. It's like our record points tally last season it means sweet FA, it's a non league campaign of 46 games with no hope part timers in their, it doesn't equate to a competive league 1 campaign.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 10:27
Its a little bit irrelevant which league they were scored in.

They are playing in the here and now which is the National League.

We need to win this league and then and only then, decide who will make an impact in the Football League should we actually get there? Its harder than we thought it would be and has just been made even harder with the silly changes just made to the play off situation.

We are decent at this level, but most of our squad would not be good enough in League 2.

Should we get there, most of our current team would no doubt be released and a whole new set up would have to begin.

Its a case of horses for courses at the moment and a big clear out would be inevitable if we go up.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 10:39
Quote:
pez

We need to win this league and then and only then, decide who will make an impact in the Football League should we actually get there? Its harder than we thought it would be and has just been made even harder with the silly changes just made to the play off situation.

We are decent at this level, but most of our squad would not be good enough in League 2.

Should we get there, most of our current team would no doubt be released and a whole new set up would have to begin.

Its a case of horses for courses at the moment and a big clear out would be inevitable if we go up.

Agree we'd need to strengthen but would be concerned about a "big clear out". I'd want to keep some continuity in the squad. Some of our most disastrous seasons , like Rob Edwards, have been when we've had a big turnover of players.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 11:49
Quote:
pez

What did Micky do when he got Fleetwood promoted?

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 12:33
Career stats are misleading. Based on his performances last season, Mangan looks finished at this level. If we can move him and Dawson on and bring in Padraig Amond, that would be good business.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 23:11
Tranmere would not need to have a massive rebuild.

League 12 and NL are not worlds apart and I think the sort of players that could play well in that league if and hopefully they do, Tranmere get promoted this season, include Davies, Cook, Ridehalgh, C Jennings, Dunn, who will have improved no doubt, Tollit and potentially McNulty depending on how he shapes up in the latter part of this season.

You add quality, but you wouldn't need wholesale change as a few of the first team would be adequate subs. You could just bin off 5-6 barely used players and maybe bump up the squad numbers by 2-3, just for a bit more strength in depth when the budget went up.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 23:23
Quote:
jonesy792
Quote:
pez

Agree we'd need to strengthen but would be concerned about a "big clear out". I'd want to keep some continuity in the squad. Some of our most disastrous seasons , like Rob Edwards, have been when we've had a big turnover of players.

The season that ended on the 13th October?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 June, 2017 23:38
Quote:
pez

A real motivational speech[not] if I ever heard one. Win promotion and it's ''inevitable that there will be a big clear out''. But ''you are decent at this level'' . They've not even reported for training yet and you're blowing up any incentive that they might have for winning promotion to smithereens.

For the record,I disagree strongly.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 07:57
Quote:
pez

It's not really irrelevant, if your comparing stats as it's harder to score goals in league 1 than the NL. To make it a fair representation you should compare games per goal in the NL. I actually disagree most of the squad are not good enough for league 2.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 08:59
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez

A real motivational speech[not] if I ever heard one. Win promotion and it's ''inevitable that there will be a big clear out''. But ''you are decent at this level'' . They've not even reported for training yet and you're blowing up any incentive that they might have for winning promotion to smithereens.

You entitled to disagree and I hope to be proven wrong.

All I'm saying is, out of the current squad, quite a few would struggle in League 2.

Its down to them to demonstrate that they are good enough to play in League 2 over the course of the next season.

Ask yourself one question, if they were all League 2 standard players, then why are they not being cherry picked by League 2 clubs?

I think we are very good at this level, but to make any impact in the Football League, wed need to make wholesale changes. That's my personal view, and like you I'm entitled to voice it.

Most teams who manage to escape this National League do likewise and rebuild, hence the horses for courses remark.

Its basically an opportunity for some of these players to fight for League Football status.

Its not meant as a dig to their abilities or anything else, a bit like some of the comments in here about players who've just left with some saying they were never good enough etc. Its the same thing.

Some are not good enough, simple as that, but are decent at N.L level.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 11:11
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez

All I'm saying is, out of the current squad, quite a few would struggle in League 2.

Its down to them to demonstrate that they are good enough to play in League 2 over the course of the next season.

Ask yourself one question, if they were all League 2 standard players, then why are they not being cherry picked by League 2 clubs?

I think we are very good at this level, but to make any impact in the Football League, wed need to make wholesale changes. That's my personal view, and like you I'm entitled to voice it.

Most teams who manage to escape this National League do likewise and rebuild, hence the horses for courses remark.

Its basically an opportunity for some of these players to fight for League Football status.

Its not meant as a dig to their abilities or anything else, a bit like some of the comments in here about players who've just left with some saying they were never good enough etc. Its the same thing.

If it's not meant as ''a dig at their abilities'',what is it?

Some WILL prove not to be good enough[that happens at every club],but a ''big clear out''no way . To say this about them before the season even starts is far too premature and wrong.

We don't know at this stage how the new season will unfold.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 11:16
Some weight is added to that argument by the fact that over five games we were not able to defeat either of the two clubs promoted to Division 2.
On the other hand. I still feel that a fully fit team would have won the play off.
We have lost three sound players so at this point in time the side is no stronger than that of last season.Two or three goood signings could change that.Equally if we recruit the equivalent to Almond and Dawson we could end up yet again at the margins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2017 12:52 by DevonExile.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 11:28
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez

If it's not meant as ''a dig at their abilities'',what is it?

Some WILL prove not to be good enough[that happens at every club],but a ''big clear out''no way . To say this about them before the season even starts is far too premature and wrong.

We don't know at this stage how the new season will unfold.

So by your reckoning, had we won the play offs, you would not have expected at least 6 new players to come in?

We most certainly wouldn't have been able to mount a serious challenge without making big changes to the team.

People have been moaning about Hughes, McNulty and Mangan on here over the last season, so to assume we wouldn't need to make big changes is a bit naive.

If we were content with just surviving the drip in League two, then we might just scrape it, but we got relegated into this horrible National League with so called better players.

I want us to do well, but we are too nice to teams and need to get at them more next season. We should certainly be taking points off our rivals, which we struggled to do last season.

The main point I was making is that although we showed good qualities last season, we were still caught short.

We would not be able to mount a serious challenge in the Football League with our current squad of players.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

15 June, 2017 22:49
Quote:
DevonExile
Some weight is added to that argument by the fact that over five games we were not able to defeat either of the two clubs promoted to Division 2.

However they would have lost to teams who didn't go up, so perhaps that point of note doesn't add any weight at all, because for Lincoln to beat Tranmere home and away who came second, Lincoln theoretically should have been good enough to beat every other team home and away and get all 138 points and I'd say it's pretty certain that nobody in the history of a 46 game league, has ever got 138 points or even within 2-4 points of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net